LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » chest pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chest pain?
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was off abx for about a year, gradually sx creeping back. Most troublesome sx were dizziness, vertigo, headaches, etc., but had a few others too.

Just finishing a month of amoxicillin.

I've had some shooting pains, sharp stabbing pains, on the left side of my chest. Not related to any one thing, sometimes at rest, sometimes when moving about. My chest wall is very sore where rib meets sternum, about half way down chest. Very sore to touch. Would have called this a fibromyalgia flareup when that was my dx, before Lyme.

Hey, maybe I have both. Some people think FMS IS Lyme, but my guess is that Lyme, along with many other things, can cause FMS. Whatever.

My recent EKG was normal, CBC normal, BP great, etc. It appears musculoskeletal. I'm taking some naprosin and some robaxin (muscle relaxer) to see if I can get it to stop. Of course, throw in a little Xanax because this causes we anxiety!

Anybody ever have this??

Cindy

Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had similar chest pain for several years. Nothing helped. 1st LLMD said it was Lyme but stardard abx did nothing for the pain. Switched LLMD who treated my Babs with Mepron and the chest pain was gone within 24 hours and asnt returned since.

Definately discuss this with your LLMD and/or a LLMD who will treat Babs.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is called costochondritis -- it is an inflammation where the ribs attach to the sternum or breastbone. It is common with Lyme. It can be quite painful. You described this condition very well -- the key is that it is sore to the touch -- heart problems are not sensitive to touch.

The first time hubby had this I took him to an urgent care facility to make sure he wasn't having a heart attack! It flares up for him from time to time -- mostly when he switches antibiotics.

Sometimes ginger tea seems to help with this. Ginger is a good anti-inflammatory. Just add 1/2 teaspoon ginger to a cup of warm water and some stevia. A heating pad may also help.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

I had been treated for babs although tests were negative. LAst time was a year ago- 6 weeks of mepron and zith, but these sx were not present back then.

Plus I'm having trouble with lyme docs, see my post marked, Frustrated with LLMDS.

Cindy

Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
costochondritis was my first diagnosis back in the early nineties. i didn't wonder why a woman in her twenties would be diagnosed with arthritis at the time!

sometimes i do worry about its effects on my heart because it is so close and sometimes hard to tell the difference.

had shooting pains there today, in fact. this is one of my oldest symptoms.

i hear ya!

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been diagnosed with:

anxiety / panic attacks
costochondritis
chest wall pain
pleurisy
chest pain
angina

These were not given all at once mind you - but by different docs at different times.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to believe - especially when your chest is hurting on the left hand side.

My LLMD feels that Lyme really likes the rib area, maybe even babs too. So I generally try not to worry.

BUT I did recently have another overnight stay recently at the ER because I got sharp pain in my left arm after a fight with hubby. (I've been tachycardic for over 2 years...high T3) so my doc said, "GET THEE TO ER"

I went. They tortured me. ER doc dx'd me with chest pain. (And he had to go to medical school for that? Geez!)

LLMD said: angina. That disturbs me...but what can I do? I just try to stay calm. (This week has not be conducive for staying calm...thanks to Katrina!)

All I can say is - always err on the side of caution when you have chest pain...of course 'caution' is usually very costly - but it's the best bet for survival!

Blessings,

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found a link that discusses costochondritis titled "A Nurse's Struggle With Lyme Disease." About 1/2 way through the article in italics where she discusses her own symptoms.

http://www.geocities.com/ldbullseye/force.html

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

thanks, that was a great article. (Except the lyme vaccine part!)

It was particularly interesting to me because I also am a nurse.

Cindy

johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this too, Cindy, and sometimes I will feel "resistance pain" when trying to inhale deeply enough to get a satisfying breath, where it feels like an inflammation (as Bea suggests) stopping me from inflating my lungs with the ease of a normal person.
That's why I am trying the artemisinin for babs (LLMD suggested it when I described symptoms, and she said the babs tests are about as accurate as many of the lyme tests out there....)

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb:
I've had this too, Cindy, and sometimes I will feel "resistance pain" when trying to inhale deeply enough to get a satisfying breath, where it feels like an inflammation (as Bea suggests) stopping me from inflating my lungs with the ease of a normal person.
That's why I am trying the artemisinin for babs (LLMD suggested it when I described symptoms, and she said the babs tests are about as accurate as many of the lyme tests out there....)

- JB

Johnny-- I tested neg for babs, but always seem to get the best response from mepron and zith. I hve some sx that could be attributed to babs- the air hunger feeling, pounding heartbeats even though heart rate is normal, night sweats at times, etc.

I do get some discomfort with a deep breath, but it's more of a "full chest" feeling than a stabbing pain or the pain of pleurisy or a broken rib. The left center of my sternum of very sore to touch , too. Like a fibromyalgia trigger point.

I've never tried artemesin..... don't know what it is......

breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter, 18, had chest pain in June, two days before graduation, and was diagnosed with pericarditis....She had just had a stomach virus that they thought settled in her pericardium...

Treatment? anti inflamatories...

Two weeks ago she had severe chest pain at 1AM...off to the ER we go.....She has costocondritis....pain upon palpation is marked....

She also had some mild EKG changes....

Cardiologist puts her on holter monitor...

Cardiologist calls yesterday to say that she still has the same EKG changes, but that they aren't really dangerous...

She is going to do a literature search and speak with Dr. S in CA, but she believes that it's an inflamatory process with lyme and the cartilage in the chest wall....

When I hear from the cardiologist I'll let you know....

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All
I agree about costochondritis as lickly
cause of chest pain--
I Thought I was having heart problems
too because of chest pain and weird
pulse--after reading about costochondritis
my mind was put at ease--

I just started Mepron and Biaxin
after 1 week chest pain has mostily
gone away so far---Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
briteeyes30
Member # 7742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for briteeyes30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Austin had chest pains when he started new Abx. We ended up in the ER due to Dr J wanting his PICC line evaluated. He had an EKG which was normal and the chest xray showed the picc line inplace and no infections.

Though the only thing is that his area was not sore when touched. The pain would be on and off. He has not had any since then. Dr J said he was herxing and stopped meds for 2 days. Then started up on half doses for 4 days. Then back to full.

He still has other probs every now and again.

Posts: 78 | From Port Jervis, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by groovy2:
Hi All

I just started Mepron and Biaxin
after 1 week chest pain has mostily
gone away so far---Jay--

Congrats Jay! Glad to see we had a similar experience.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this sounds odd, but chest pain can often times be gi problems..particularly a gall bladder, but also ulcers & severe GERD.

[grouphug]

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Thanks for all the responses. It's slowly starting to resolve.
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 12 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good! [Smile]

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindy_leigh:
Johnny-- I tested neg for babs, but always seem to get the best response from mepron and zith. I hve some sx that could be attributed to babs- the air hunger feeling, pounding heartbeats even though heart rate is normal, night sweats at times, etc.

I do get some discomfort with a deep breath, but it's more of a "full chest" feeling than a stabbing pain or the pain of pleurisy or a broken rib. The left center of my sternum of very sore to touch , too. Like a fibromyalgia trigger point.

I've never tried artemesin..... don't know what it is......

You sound like me.... you know, I never noticed the soreness to touch until I was holding my 5 month old standing on me and he stepped in the center of my chest...

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Oh, btw.... there are posts on artemisinin on the board, if you search for them. It's a natural anti-parasite herb, but can be hard on the system if taken too long.

- JB

cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb:
Oh, btw.... there are posts on artemisinin on the board, if you search for them. It's a natural anti-parasite herb, but can be hard on the system if taken too long.

- JB

I looked for this at GNC this week but did not find it. Where do you get it?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement