LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ALS/Lyme need some info

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALS/Lyme need some info
bg2711
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I have 5 cases of ALS in my county in Ohio. Sounds kind of strange doesn't it? This is in about a 2 yr. spand. I know of 2 doctors in PA, does anyone else know of any dr. that may be closer by to help these people. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Barb

Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i do but i need email add [Frown] ress

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI thanks for your reply. My email address is [email protected] thanks
Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

up
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 2 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
emailed

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Barb,

I don't have an answer, just wanted to say thank you for trying to help those poor folks.

Best wishes,

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure wish there was a way we can get the word out on this possible connection! So many are suffering!

Thanks Barb! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a dvd out of the lyme conference of may 7,2005 in farmingtron, CT. The first dvd has when Whitaker, and Lideman, present how they believe ALS is later stage lyme disease.

Can order video at: http://www.ctlymedisease.org

maybe getting one and passing it around may help.

Also the is a contact person, at the website, "Mike" for those diagnosed ALS and needing lyme info.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

thanks everyone. We certainly need help around here. I appreciate all ideas and info. This is very distressing to see so many in Ohio having this problem and everyone is oblivious about the epidemic. Still can't figure out how these ducks in a small town can't piece it together. Barb
paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both diagnoses, and the ALS diagnoses was made by a 'Lyme-literate' neurologist who accepted that I had late-stage Lyme disease.

I've seen this particular neurologist recommended to Lyme patients on other Lyme message boards.

Like all phsyicians, this neurologist is influenced by the official policy of denial that minimizes both the scope of the Lyme pandemic and the serious damage the disease can inflict when treatment is delayed or truncated to fit insurance company guidelines.

Still, I would have to describe this neuro as comparatively sympathetic to Lyme patients, a good deal more so than the norm.

Having practiced outside the US, and been exposed to a more realistic assessment of Lyme from researchers and clinicians in other parts of the world, she knows that the attitude toward the disease is particularly backwards here.

So I would say that in her case it wasn't just bias, but also the lack of research demonstrating that the particular combination of upper and lower motor neuron failure seen in ALS is both traceable to Lyme and susceptible to antibiotic treatment.

More such research exists, perhaps, than she is aware of, but I have made a kind of mission out of trying to connect the dots with published data, and it's not an easy task.

I think it's grand that there's a DVD, but it would be nice if there were transcripts of the relevant presentations made available on the internet at no cost. To the extent that we have information amounting to a strong case that ALS can BOTH be caused by Lyme and remedied by anti-infective treatment, we need that information to be broadly available to patients who are dx'd with ALS to share with their physicians.

If you've read something that you think is helpful in this regard, and can provide a link, please either post it here or email me at [email protected]. I am in the process of putting together a packet for just this purpose but could definitely use more material to work with.

Thanks so much,

Paul

Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janeymae
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janeymae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is a stupid question, but what does ALS stand for. My brain is not working today, thanks.
Posts: 35 | From SE, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by janeymae:
I know this is a stupid question, but what does ALS stand for. My brain is not working today, thanks.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lou Gehrigs Disease.

--------------------

Newbie Links

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,

Posting this here in case you have not seen these references to ALS/Lyme. A couple of articles on this topic can be found at http://www.waisbrenclinic.com

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently some people with ALS diagnosis respond to lyme treatment, and some do not. So, maybe there is more than one cause.

Sarah has recently been posting interesting abstracts, mostly Russian, in which tick borne encephalitis (caused by a virus) and lyme are said to be co-infections. And ALS symptoms were connected with the virus. A virus in the same group has been found in Ixodes ticks in the U.S., meaning that some of us may be getting it too.

The overlap of symptoms causes so much confusion in these tick-borne diseases.

see this url for the abstracts mentioned above:

http://tinyurl.com/9qp28

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

up
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
found this article on the illads website: aalso their "basic info" pages #15 mentions lyme mimicaing ALS. Couldn't find any "medical abstracts" regarding als/lyme.

ILADS WELCOMES PHYSICIAN RECOVERING FROM ALS
DOCTOR'S CASE SUPPORTS THEORY LYME DISEASE MAY BE THE CAUSE OF ALS
Bethesda MD September 2, 2004 - The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) strengthened its impressive membership today with the addition of Dr. D.M. of Colorado Springs, who joined ILADS 15 months after being diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). In April of 2003, Dr. M. began suffering weakness and pain in his muscles. Dr. M. soon lost much of his mobility. His condition worsened forcing him to retire from the medical practice he loves.

After six frustrating months with hope fading, Dr. M. discovered the work of Dr. B. of Pennsylvania. Dr. B., who is a member of ILADS, suggested a link between ALS and Lyme disease. IGeneX Reference Laboratory of Palo Alto then confirmed Lyme bacteria in Dr. M. Dr. M. then sought out a local ILADS physician who started Lyme disease treatment based on the recommendations of Dr. B. The results were dramatic.

"Before I found Lyme "literate" professionals, I could only function at a level of about 20 percent," says Dr. M. "But now that I'm in expert hands, I am up to 75 percent of full function and I hope to return to work soon as a physician, helping others with Chronic Lyme Disease." An internist, and Past President of the Colorado Medical Society, he is committed to giving others opportunities that have been given to him.

The Centers for Disease Controls says that Lyme disease may be under-reported by as much as ten-fold. This means as many as a quarter of a million Americans may contract Lyme disease each year, yet most of them are unaware of it. ILADS will hold its annual meeting in October of this year in Rye, New York.

ILADS president, Dr. P, says, "Dr. M. is an example of the many physicians and medical experts we encourage to join ILADS so we can continue to raise awareness and make vital advances in the world-wide fight against Lyme disease."

For more information about Lyme disease go to www.ilads.org CONTACT :
Barbara

[ 08. September 2005, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: dmc ]

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

whoops, didn't edit article and Drs. name are in it. Don't know how to edit...didn't find edit button. I'm sorry I broke the rule.
dmc
Member # 5102

whoops, didn't edit article and Drs. name are in it. Don't know how to edit...didn't find edit button. I'm sorry I broke the rule.
bg2711
Member # 1865

Hi everyone thanks for your help. I am forwarding all info on to my friends.

Thanks DMC, great article! I really appreciate everyones help. I hope these people can get treated and make some strides in getting their lives back.
Barb

paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much, Bea and Lou and Barb and all!

Bea, I had found that doctor's site, was very impressed by the volume of research citations there (imagine...doctors who read something other than pharma company brochures).

Lou, I had not seen the links to TBE, which are fascinating. Thanks much.

You guys are the best.

Paul S.

Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ALSLYME
Member # 6721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALSLYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have read the ilads story on dr m, and i don't think dr b, in pa, was the "treating" physician. i believe it was dr h, in texas, that actually prescribed the abx, but i could be wrong.

i believe the abx regimen that dr h prescribed was different, and much higher doses, compared to what dr b in pa was known for giving his "als-lyme" patients. (in my case anyway, i do not know about others)

i read dr m was on 4 g rocephin/day iv, for at least a year - not positive on exactly how long. i have done a lot of research on als-lyme and the only cases i have found sucessful were long term iv, at high doses & long durations, and not always rocephin, sometimes claforan, and above all the correct combo treatments for multiple coinfections.

alot of the llmds will not prescribe what is actually needed, even the ones that "claim" to be als-lyme experts.

not all llmd's who are "pioneers" in als-lyme cases are necessarily the best. hell, allen steer was a pioneer in lyme also, afterall.

some llmd's may get lucky with 1 patient, or maybe even a few, but what works for one, doesn't always work for another!

what i will suggest, is if you have, or think you have als-lyme, do ALOT of homework before you choose an llmd.

make sure your llmd tests and treats for Borreliosis, Bart, Babs, Ehrlichiosis, and H-Pylori (remember this one), and most of all GOOD LUCK!

Posts: 94 | From Maryland, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ALSLYME:
i have read the ilads story on dr m, and i don't think dr b, in pa, was the "treating" physician. i believe it was dr h, in texas, that actually prescribed the abx, but i could be wrong.

That's what I thought too.

Great info, everybody...I'm saving this link.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALS symptoms can also be caused by CNS mycoplasma infections. Get tested for that too.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

Mathias, thank you for the info.
Barb

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one more resource. It lists Lyme disease, post-polio syndrome, HIV and neurosyphilis as infectious causes of ALS. Article gives lots of info on other possible causes including glutamate toxicity and mercury poisoning. Includes suggestions for nutritional supplements and explains why each might be of benefit.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/
Select Health Concern -- click on Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. To view the entire article click on the printer icon in the brown box.

The info under Myasthenia Gravis might also be useful.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement