LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PCP says, I dont have Lyme! All tests are NEG!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PCP says, I dont have Lyme! All tests are NEG!
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

I went to see my PCP on Thurs. He began to tear me a new butt, in a nice manner. He told me all about the tests that were done, how sensative they are, all the false/ned, ratings, not having a rash, known tick bite, that crap.

I told him that many, many people have Lyme, who failed many, many tests, suffered for years only to find out they have Lyme now, and it will never go away due to lack of treatment.

He ordered some new tests. I have to have another one done this week. I have been on Amox. 1500mg's for five weeks now. My legs are getting numb again, but it goes away some days. It went away for the most part, I think it may be a herx thing.

I have not yet had the Igenex testing, but will at the end of the month. I have to stop the meds for a week I was told by Igenex, so I want to give it some more time. I hope the tests I had done the other day will not be affected by the Amox.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what info I should provide to my PCP to better educate him about Lyme. He is keeping a small part of an opened mind about this...

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dayle Ann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dayle Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest getting a copy of "Lyme Disease Update: Science, Policy, and Law" from the LDA. It includes a digest of science relating to Lyme Disease, variants, treatment, testing, etc, along with references to the cited material. See the Lyme Disease Association website to order. I believe it is about $10 with postage.

Another thing you can refer him to is the ILADS guidelines, which can be ordered directly from ILADS: http://www.ilads.org The website includes a summary, but the guidelines themselves includes all the references used to build the guidelines.

I am suggesting these two resources because they give a good overview of the whole picture relating to diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease, rather than just isolated concepts, which may be dismissed by a doubtful practitioner as esoteric.

Good luck. Massachusetts could sure use soem drs who can see past the limitations of the ID guidelines.

Dayle Ann

--------------------
..." ...almost basically together situation."
unknown quote from somewhere

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a new Lfriendly PCP for a 2nd opinion.

Be your own advocate. Most PCP's don't take it personally if you get a 2nd opinion.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- get a new doc, you nedd a lyme experienced doctor not a duck

2-go to www.canlyme.com click on symptoms and tally yours up- 20 or more is a high potential for Lyme- print and take to dr

3-google seronegative Lyme and give him some of the more convincing material.

4-get tested by Igenex ASAP

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BostonLyme2005:
Hi Guys,

I went to see my PCP on Thurs. He began to tear me a new butt, in a nice manner. He told me all about the tests that were done, how sensative they are, all the false/ned, ratings, not having a rash, known tick bite, that crap.

Oh, boy, does THAT sound familiar. I got the same speech, and I had even found a tick stuck in my head! [bonk]
Get the Igenex WB done.... but many docs will dismiss it as a false positive if they don't understand lyme.

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Boston!

Others have given you good advice about the situation with your duck.

I just wanted you to know that numbness is one of my major herx symptoms.

Whenever it happens now (it did today, actually), I just figure things are still working!

Let us know what happens, please.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BostonLyme -

Hey - been there....with many a doc. Just be glad you weren't sitting half naked while getting that speech, as it makes one a little more uncomfortable.

Your PCP is just going by what s/he was taught in medical school, which wasn't much, with regards to Lyme.

Finding a more Lyme-friendly PCP at this point may be a bit of a challenge.

If your PCP is the least bit 'open-minded' about it, and has a 'teachable spirit' - you might just be doing him/her a favor and the future patients if you stick it out enough to share some information.

If your current PCP is willing to run the Igenex test, I'd stick with that one until that test is run and results are received. It's not rocket science reading an Igenex test result - as they pretty much spell it out as to whether it is positive or negative.

In the meantime, if you believe you have Lyme, which that's what it sounds like to me - you need to start searching for a sometimes hard to find LLMD.

If, after your Igenex tests are returned, and your doc is not willing to eat his/her words and express a WILLINGNESS to learn - then I would tell him/her that I NEED a doc that IS willing to work with my LLMD and be willing to GROW in their knowledge of this disease, and then nicely ask for a copy of all your records.

I'm sorry your doc 'nicely' tryed to rip you a new one -- but again, just be grateful you weren't in a paper gown with your feet in stirrups while it was happening - because BELIEVE ME - that is a VERY DIFFICULT and emotional experience to endure...and I AM EXPERIENCED!

Keep us informed.

Blessings,

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymed gave you good advice for papers. I used Dr. Burascano's Guidelines to finally convince my PCP to get me tested at IgeneX. But at that point (9 months of heck later) [bonk] , I finally went to see an LLMD.

While you may be able to broaden your PCP's horizons a bit, in all honesty, he may not know what to do to treat you, and educate you during your treatment plan.

Best advice is to get to an LLMD. And BTW, if you haven't begun taking Magnesium, please do so. Start with a low dose (if you can find 80mg or so) and take frequently. It might help with the numbness and tingling [Big Grin]

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement