LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gee, I hope my dr. does not read this! Kickbacks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gee, I hope my dr. does not read this! Kickbacks?
Shar
Member # 2619

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Shar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who had a portacath put in, just like mine and our MD's recently.
We both had a lot of trouble with them, causing pain, and mine is kinked and does not even work...they need to come out. The MD's is fine. When I complained and said mine needs replaced at a different location, he said he is tierd of Lyme people "complaining" about their ports and suggested he may not take Lyme patients anymore, (rant and rave)...very strange response!
I have NO VEINS and mine was to stay in for life. Now she was not even told about a pic line and has great veins. Hers was in for her 2 month duration of IV abx.
Does this sound like he may be getting a kickback on the sale of these VERY expensive ports?
Is it a regular practice, if yes?

Posts: 52 | From Arizona , USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very much doubt it. Did he tell you who had to put it in or did you have a choice? Did your friend ask about a picc line instead? Maybe there is a logical reason. Look for it before jumping to conclusions.

A doctor who has lyme himself and has to deal with all the mountain of lyme problems of others too may lose his cool now and then. Too bad, but these people are human too. Maybe a word of sympathy to him might help.

BTW, some docs do read this board, even if they don't post.

[ 10. September 2005, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: lou ]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shar
Member # 2619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a bummer with everything going on with Lyme problems.
Yes, he arranged both our surgeries, suggesting his recommendation. The other person had never even heard of a pic line until I asked why she did not have it for a two month treatment rather than a surgical procedure.
I just knew it was OK in CA for Drs. to get kickbacks from pharmacuetical companies ('90's) so I wondered if it is OK from medical supplies. The surgery cost 12,500. for me, done by the radioligist. That is a lot of mula!
I do feel I am sympathetic to my Dr. and feel we have developed a good relationship. And, I did tell him I was sorry if he and the other doc are good friends, because I am not satisfied with my port or the job done...(it hurts and it is useless).
Thanks Lou for your input.

Posts: 52 | From Arizona , USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD sells herbs, vitamins, etc obviously for a profit. Apparently it's a way to suppliment the income, although they don't take insurance and have a full practice.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD also sells herbs, supplements, etc. I was wary during my first visit but did buy what was recommended.

When those products started running out, I figured I'd just order them online...be able to find a less expensive, bargain price.

Turns out my LLMD was selling thse things less than (or in one case the same cost as) any sites I was able to find. All the herbs and supplements.

Now, I just pick them up when I'm at the drs. office.

Nice surprise!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very big issue at both the state and federal level these days, even if the physician does not take insurance.

Given that this is a public board, it might be wise to try to avoid using words like ki... when posting, unless there is an obvious issue. These types of things need to be reported.

Concerned that we may be inadvertently prompting a lot of interest from the wrong type of folks.

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Nannie.

People come here with things like this, frequently have the wrong pig by the tail, but never come back and correct the record when it becomes apparent they made a mistake. Meanwhile, accusations that should have been explored privately are getting used by the trolls who read this board all the time. I have posted just such an instance before, where info from here was published in a letter to the editor of a newspaper. This has happened more than once.

If you don't feel you are getting the treatment you need and have questions, find another doctor.

I'm sorry, things are not on the up and up in the medical world, not in the hospitals, not in health insurance, not with some doctors. But with things as they are in the lyme world, questions like this can't be explored in public, without giving ammunition to the bad guys.

My catheter was put in by someone recommended by my doc at the time. I was grateful he knew someone since I had no idea how to find a surgeon. Don't think because a doc recommends some other medical person that it is necessarily true any money is involved. Mine turned out very well. Unfortunately, getting anyone to prescribe IV was another story.

Sorry yours was such a problem, this is a real bummer.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very, very touchy subject around here. The above posts are correct, you can't always write about this on the board. It's for our own safety--the honest truth is beggars can't be choosers, and you have to exercise a little cautious strategy to get well from Lyme.

My take is that it's a big mistake to view the Lyme community in the same way you would the mainstream medical world. Lyme doctors operate with completely different incentives. They do not undergo the same peer review process, they do not compete for patients at the same rigorous level (they have a lock on the market, if you will), and they are under no obligation to cure you. Technically, their job is to provide you with drugs that will keep you alive, often in exchange for hundreds of dollars a month.

At the same time, they do pay a high price for being in this line of work, and they are all we have. Also, because there are so few of them, we often can blame them for having perfectly reasonable philosophical and practical differences from each other, because in the mainstream world, we would never go to people of their style.

For example, I went to a hotshot LLMD who insists all his patients order herbs from his guru. The only time I visited this guru, he was sick and coughing up phlegm the whole time, and told me the key to overcoming Lyme was to stop eating mustard and drinking coffee. To me, that's totally whack, but to many others, that's a legitimate philosophical choice, and if I didn't like it, it really was my responsibility to go elsewhere. Which I eventually did.

Therefore, the best thing to do, in my biased opinion, is to not be surprised when you see and hear certain things in the Lyme community. Expect it. Don't be shocked, and don't take it personally. Then ask yourself this question: if I find out what really works, and ask for a prescription, will a doctor give it to me? If the doctor won't do it, leave. If the doctor listens to you, stay. If they turn out to be the most honest healer in the world, great. If they are not, take those prescriptions and smile anyway.

Next, take a couple of days and read every single Lymenet post, going back to 2000, even if you think it doesn't have anything to do with you. By the end, you will be transformed from potential victim to savvy Lyme operator extraordinaire. Words like "oral cephalosporin," "picc line," "macrolide," and "cyst buster" (which are the first words you may want to look up in the archive before putting up with something as troublesome as a portacath) will be your lingua franca.

There's no guarantee that becoming an expert will save your current doctor relationship. But if you have to make a switch, chances are you'll have much better experiences from now on. Remember, people use people they can use, and respect people they can't use.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do feel that if there is an legitimate problem, it should be posted about. We need to try to help each other from being taken advantage of. We need to help each other to prevent this from happening.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of money in healthcare, and the reimbursement is very convoluted and often overseen by some of the worst offenders (this is called self regulating). Because there is so much money and so little oversight, things can happen throughout the healthcare system.

Key is that there is more and more oversight, and the worst offendors are being heavily penalized and forced to reimburse payment and/or reimbursement. Let's use this to our advantage-on the insurer ducks!!!

That said, maybe we should have a list of words like ki...that should not be used in posts. My thought is that someone who is investigating could easily put the word ki...in a search engine.

From time to time, we should also issue reminders that this board is open to all, including oversight agencies etc.

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement