LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Painful outer ears anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painful outer ears anyone?
caveman
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that my 89 yr. old Mom has Lyme disease, for many reasons. Yesterday she was complaining of her outer ears being so sore that it disturbed her sleep.

She cannot lie with the side of her head on a pillow because of the pain. She said that her ears hurt if she just touches them.

Anyone else have this problem?

-caveman

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Limping Lily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Limping Lily   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have had ear pain for 4 years,mostly on the inside,like an earache,but not usually sensitivity of the outer part.Occasionally the outer ear will redden for no good reason.My hearing comes and goes along with ringing at times.A little disconcerting, but not usually painful at the same time.The ENT I saw 3 years ago could find nothing wrong to account for it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
~*~ Carole ~*~
 - Young at Heart Grandmother of 4

Posts: 140 | From Morristown, NJ, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BugBit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally have a real sharp pain on the ear. It is usually in one small spot and very intense. It doesn't last long usually, but it can and does interfere with sleep. Sometimes I will have a little hard lump where it hurts, sometimes not. Sometime they will just get real hot and red.
*Bit*

Posts: 116 | From Bisbee, AZ USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cave darlin' - how are YOU? (Email or PM me sometime!)

Interesting question.

I personally have not had outer ear pain, but while in the LLMD's office yesterday with daughter AND hubby - my LLMD noticed how RED my hubby's ear are.

Now hubby doesn't notice such things as he is the type to close his eyes and believe everything is 'normal' - even when it's not.

LLMD said that RED EARS can be indicative of Lyme , and then pointed to a poster that had pictures of ears on them. Hmmm.

That's pretty much my 2 cents worth in this topic...

I hope your dear Mom doesn't have it, especially at her age - but my hoping that she doesn't have it doesn't change the situation one bit.

So I shall keep her in my prayers, and I do hope you can find some answers and most importantly some COMFORT for her at this very golden age.

Blessings,

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikken
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red ears can also be a sign of allergy...especially food allergies in my experience (as can ringing in the ears)...

But caveman - can you see anything unusual about your mother's ears? Any chafing or dry skin?

The reason I ask is because my when my sister has a yeast flareup, she actually gets it on her outer ears. She says they itch and hurt.

The whole Lyme/yeast connection sucks. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 369 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this horribly when I was herxing. Until recently, I had no idea where the pain was coming from. Know I know better....

Muscle spazms at the base of my skull.

Take a knuckle and press really hard at the base of skull on either right or left side. See if that area is sore. It may just be referred pain.

If that's where it's coming from, you'll need to either go for massage or use glucosamine lotion and use knuckles to try and break up the spazm.

Maybe she's just magnesium deficient without having Lyme? I hope she's ok.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ears often tingle and sometimes I get a pain in my right ear along with it. Just signs that the meds are working, I guess.

tj

--------------------
tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mammachase
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mammachase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, when herxing I have severe outer ear around the outside rim pain when sleeping on my sides it hurts to the touch, usually only lasts a few days but most of the time my body feels like I was run over by a truck, just running a bar of soap over my body when showering hurts me!!!!

--------------------
MammaChase

Posts: 190 | From Bourne, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
caveman,
I have this outer ear thing that sounds like your mom's. I'll wake up during the night and the outside of my ear, the one touching the pillow, will be very painful, and red.

It makes the whole side of my head and neck hurt and I can't lay down on it, again. It seems to subside in a few hours.

I have no clue what it is but it seems to come and go mysteriously. I never know when it will happen. [shake]

Sorry, that was no help at all. When I tell doctors about it they just nod. (Like they do about so many other things.)

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
periodically, the inside ridges in my ears will swell in spots (looks like a bug bite) and will be very sensitive. sometimes it hrts to lie on which ever ear has it.

Noticed this happening more while on ketek, and my face broke out with strange pimples that weren't acne.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caveman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your posts and kind comments.

My mom lives over a 100 miles from me so I only learned of this problem when she told me over the phone. I have checked back with her after seeing most of your posts and she says her ears aren't red (she had a granddaughter check them out).

She did mention a little bump on the edge of one ear; but both ears hurt.

She is now saying that although the ear pain is bothersome, it's not all that bad. Not compared to her other numerous aches and pains I guess.

I told her about the possibility of referred pain that one of you mentioned.

Her health and well being has really deteriorated over the past year. Two years ago she got a tick bite and a big rash at about the same time I got my deer tick bite, which re-infected me with Lyme disease, and Rocky Mtn. Spotted fever critters.

My arthritic pains have been greatly helped by all of the antibiotics I'm on, and I hate to see (or hear) her suffer when she might get some relief. Unfortunately her doctor swears by the Elisha test (I tried to get him to give her a Western Blot test, but to no avail).

I'm sero-negative for Elisha, and only one band on Western Blot, and I had a beautiful bull's eye rash and over 30 other Lyme symptoms.

And I've seen the big list of medical articles archieved here somewhere that addresses this issue.

I'm going to see if I can take her to another local doctor who might give her a better diagnostic test, and/or consider treating her with some antibiotics to see if it will help.

Unfortunately my mom is too frail now to make the 6 hour trip (one way) from her home to my LLMD. Actually, I couldn't do that either at the moment!

Thanks again, everyone. I had just wondered if this unusual symptom could possibly be another one among us Lyme victims.

-caveman

lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ears hurt when I try to talk on the phone.

It's discomfort more than pain. They also get cold.

It is getting worse thinking about it!
Better go

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement