LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone with monocycline experience??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone with monocycline experience??
deja vu
Member # 7656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deja vu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has been treated with minocycline with any adverse effects? I am a chronic lymie that has done many diff. meds over the years...was recently on doxycycline for past 5 weeks but just switched to minocylcine(100 mg/2x daily) and supposed to add Ketek (400 mg 2x daily)in a few days. Started the minocycline yesterday and felt horrible and today even worse. Very lightheaded, nauseous and just overall weak. Could it be the meds/or the lyme??? It is hard to distinguish at this point but could herx have kicked in that quickly?

Thanks for anyone's opinion.

Posts: 14 | From Bergen County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi deja vu,

I was on Minocin for a while and it was a hard abx to take for me, as far as herxing goes. Everyone is different, but I herxed right away on abx.

I hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 6639 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daughter was on Mino for a short period 100mg in the morning and 200mg at night.

She couldn't tolerate it. She said it made her feel like she was going to fall on her face.

She has a 3 year old to take care of also so she didn't last long on it. Being dizzy all the time and chasing a 3 year old is kind of difficult.

Remember slow and steady wins the race, try ramping up slowly. We do that with just about all her meds now.

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing 100mg twice a day along with 100mg diflucan 2X day. I personally like it most normal I felt in 20 years.

Everyone is so different. I was told by my LLMD can cause teeth discoloration and to take Vit. C to counteract that.

I hope you work it out with the Mino.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on mino for 6 weeks. The first week was rough--felt very off balance. Then it seemed to be the antibiotic that helped the most. Good Luck! Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 9017 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Deja vu,

I have been on minocycline for 9 months now. The first couple of months were REALLY BAD! I herxed like crazy. I would wake up everyday in severe pain.

By the way-- My LLMD started me on only 50mg a week, then I ramped up slowly..... very slowly. I am now on 200mg a week.

I still herx, but not nearly as bad in the beginning. I don't know how anyone can take 200mg a day! I would have died.

I have been improving alot still on what is considered a low dose. But I really think it depends how long you have been sick, and how many years you were untreated. I have had LD for about 39 years untreated.

Maybe you can ask your LLMD if you can start slow and work your way up on the mino.

Good luck,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi deja vu, My daughter has been on Mino for 3 weeks. She is on 50 mg 2 x a day. I started her with just the morning dose. SHe had an awful first week. Much better now. She is also on Ketek 800 mg once a day that was started in July and ceftin. Nausea has been an issue with her and I am not sure if it is the meds or the lyme.

The herx are worth it. My daughter is showing slow improvement. SHe thinks her short term memory has improved. Her good days are better than they use to be.

SHe has started with some muscle thigh pain a few days ago. I am not sure what that is from. Any ideas anyone?

Hang in there

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deja vu
Member # 7656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deja vu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your help/experiences. I have had lyme/babs/now possibly ehrlichia for 10 years and had really been doing well for 2 years. So this may be a relapse (can't imagine that I got rebit) but this horrible herxing/med dosage stuff is such a bad memory. I know its a good thing to herx, but gosh it really plays with your head as well as body. I have always been sensitive to regular doses so maybe 200 mg/daily is too much for me to start esp if I am supposed to add Ketek. I guess since I was on 250 mg/daily of doxy that I didn't think mino would be a problem. Anyway, thanks all for your words of encouragement!!!
Posts: 14 | From Bergen County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deja vu,

Just to let you know..... The dosages for Doxy and Mino are VERY different. You cannot take as much Mino as Doxy. The maximum dosage for Mino is about 200mg a day, where doxy is about 400mg. So you can take double the dose of doxy for same effect.

Lisi

--------------------

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deja vu,

My husband is currently taking minocycline, but ramped up beginning at 25mg for several weeks. Then moved on to 50mg for a few months and is now at 100mg. Herxing has been hard on him with a lot of GI upset, fatigue, pain and almost intolerable sleepiness.
[sleepy]

Might want to talk to your LLMD about ramping. Mino can be pretty harsh for some.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

[hi]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deja vu
Member # 7656

Okay, so I will be starting tomorrow on just 50 mg/daily for the first week to see how I do. With just one day of not taking anything, I feel 100% better (and I only took the mino for 2 days). Wow 200 mg knocked me out!! I was curled up like I was when I started Mepron years ago. Thanks so much everyone for your input/it was important to know for me that 50 mg might be a good place to start...then will see about adding Ketek. I sure feel ambivalent if this was a herx just from the mino will I need the Ketek as well?? Just wondering...
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

deja vu,

Just to let you know Mino (any amount) will stay in your system for a week. Doxy only stays in for a few days.

I am glad your feeling better [Big Grin]

Take it easy,
Lisi [Smile]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement