LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wheelchair?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wheelchair?
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 5 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

My parents, younger sister, and I are going to Washington D.C. for about a week in mid-November (my dad has a business conference down there so we're tagging along). When I was invited to go I didn't think much about how I'd manage getting around. So, I started looking into renting a wheelchair. Basically, my fatigue is really bad now and I just know the walking would do me in pretty quickly. [Frown]

So, here come a few questions. Have any of you rented a wheelchair while on vacation somewhere? [confused] Another option for me would be to only use wheelchairs in the museums but I'm worried that the walking to and from the museums would be a lot for me to handle. I'm also worried about being "different" by having a wheelchair but I want to enjoy the trip.

I guess I'm basically looking for opinions, experiences, advice, etc. Anything you can offer to help me figure out what I should do! I've e-mailed a company in D.C. about wheelchair rental which (according to their website and outdated prices) is $35 for a week. I'm just waiting to hear back about details.

Thanks for anything you can say to try to help me! [Smile]

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 10. October 2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Lisianthus ]

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HOPE4290
Member # 7926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HOPE4290     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter went through a period for a few years where she could not go to a museum or the mall without a wheelchair. We got a prescription for one from our doctor and they came to the house and fit one for her, and dropped it off. We never paid a penny. Our insurance paid monthly for the rental on the chair and after 14 months the cost of the rental was more than the chair so we were told it was ours too keep because it had been paid for.

My mother in law got hers the same way. She had a monthly copay of $8.00 but after 14-15 months got a call that she now owned the chair.

I would look into it, if you haven't already.

Posts: 55 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is a great idea. Our family loves DC. And the $35/wk is the going price in the Phoenix area. Hope you are able to go and have fun.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the supportive responses. It does make me feel better about doing this if it's what I decide I need. I am a little worried about getting around outside with it, but if I use it one day and it seems too difficult I can always opt to only use it on really bad days and the other days just use one provided by each museum.

I would definitely have someone to push me. Using it for exhaustion and then having to push it myself just doesn't make much sense! I still may end up spending some days resting in the hotel room while my mom and sister go out into the city but I'm hoping I'll make it around to everything I want to see!

HOPE4290, that sounds like a great way to go about getting a wheelchair. I'm not sure either of my doctors (PCP or LLMD) would put in an order for one, though. I mean, they know I have a lot of fatigue but I don't think either of them really know how bad it is. It is frustrating to be so limited with where I can go because the fatigue is bad and I don't go out nearly as much as I probably could if I did have one. I'd be interested to hear more about how your daughter's doctor ordered the wheelchair. Any particular requirements for it to be covered by insurance that you know of? I'm already on service with an infusion/nursing company so I could probably get one from them, I'm not really sure I'd need it for very long, though.

Thanks again, everyone!

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie,

Check with your doctors. I think having a doctor's order really helps. Then you could rent one (or have insurance cover it) before you go. Jordan has used a wheelchair when his joint pain was really bad. Usually rented wheelchairs are not in the best condition.

Do you have any medical supply companies near you?

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have medical supply stores near me but haven't checked with any of them to see if they have wheelchairs (I assume most of them would).

Do you know how I would go about getting insurance to cover it? Do they ask a lot of questions or just go ahead and cover it? Also, I really don't think I need a wheelchair long-term, I'm mostly just worried about that week. At home I can work my schedule around days when I'm not up to walking farther than down the hall to the kitchen and back and I don't want to come to rely on a wheelchair (although, who knows, maybe after using one in D.C. I'll realize that it would really be good for me to have the option all the time).

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for specifics on how I'd go about getting the orders, getting it covered, and rental vs. buying. And would I be able to get one from my home nursing/infusion company do you think?

Thanks,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We rented one for my mother in law and it was $35.00 for the whole weekend.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be leary of depending on finding one available at each museum. They may only have a few...and some may charge for them? I know wheelchair rentals in theme parks can be very expensive....like $35 a DAY.

If you're going to rent, get it before you go.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Thanks for suggesting Craig's List. I checked it out, found two used ones for sale for reasonable prices - $50 for one and $40 for the other. I'm going to go check out the cheaper one as soon as I can set up a time with the person who is selling it and I'm waiting to hear back about the other one.

Great idea! This seems like a better plan than trying to rent them. And if I decide I don't need to keep it, I can always try to sell it back through Craig's List!

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Deb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie,

In May 2005 my entire familly attended my niece's college graduation in Washington, DC. This meant finding a way to make the trip do able for my aging mother who is not able to walk long distances.

My husband and I made the travel arrangements for both my parents and we assisted them during their travels. We weighed all the options and in the end we decided to drive down to Washington so that we would have use of our car while in the city. Also, my Mom's fear of flying ruled flying out. The rest of my family flew down. There wouldn't be any problem getting a wheelchair on the plane. Had we flown or taken the Cella Train, we felt it might be better to have the wheelchair with us. This is why we did not rent one in Washington.

Instead of renting a wheelchair in Washington, my Dad was able to borrow one from our local senior center at no cost. This worked out well for us. We simply loaded it in the car along with her walker and off we went. This might be an option for you to look into.

If you will not have access to a car in Washington, it is really easy getting around on the Metro. Certain Metro stations have elevators. Taxis are more than plentiful in the city, so walking great distances would not be necessary. Many times, my husband and I would take a taxi to a scheduled event when promptness was important and take the Metro back to the Hotel when we had time to spare.

I was pretty sick in May with little energy to spare. However, I found that if I paced myself and returned to the Hotel for little naps, I could keep up with activities into the evening hours. Some events I was able to attend and others I had to pass on so that I could rest in order to participate in PM activities with the family.

I have to admit that it was very exhausting for me and at times frustrating to not be able to do what I would have liked to have done. However, both my husband and I were pleased that we did make this trip and overall thought that I help up pretty well in spite of my being ill. The attitude/plan of action both my husband and I took was that we would do as much as I could and just bow out when I felt the need to rest. My family members understood and just were pleased that we were there to share this special time together.

If you should find a need to use a wheelchair, I would not worry about it or allow this to stop you from making the trip. We came to enjoy the perks of being a party to someone using a wheelchair to get around the city, lol.

IMO, it is better to be as much a part of special events/family times together than it is to deprive yourself of the fun. Whatever reservations you may have regarding this trip will soon pass once you are having a good time....Go for it!

PS-Did you receive the package I sent recently?

Debbie/RI

Posts: 162 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Hi Debbie,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I'm pretty well resolved to using a wheelchair for the trip. We're driving down so we will have a car but will most likely still use the metro to get around to avoid driving in the city, parking, etc. I'm going to look at the $40 wheelchair from Craig's List either tomorrow or Monday, whenever I'm up to it. I really think that buying a used wheelchair for so cheap will work out well because then I'll have it in case I need it again for another trip or just to help me manage smaller trips (out to the mall, for instance). And when I'm all better I can donate it somewhere or re-sell it.

And Debbie, I want you to know that I did receive the package you sent me and I was so touched by it. I just sent you a thank you card a few days ago so you should receive that in the next few days. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness! I wasn't NOT thanking you, I just wanted to do it right and it took a little while to get it out in the mail.

I'll let you all know about the wheelchair when I go look at it and whether or not I go ahead and buy it.

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

DC beautiful city and I think whatever you can do to make it more enjoyable is a good thing.

I am feeling much better these days, but I still get tempted to lie down in public when the intense fatigue hits. I recently had to lie down while waiting for son to finish up dr. appt.
This sort of thing happens when I am going out no matter what to meet kids needs. Anyway, I ended up taking a nap in the womens restroom at drs office! Was nice and dark and clean(?) with a wonderful locking door. Listen, DC is a tidy place, but you don't want to get too despartate.

Try to let go of what people think. I care less because of my lyme from not being able to keep up appearance some of the time. The most embarrasing so far is asking for help to find my car in parking lot and wearing winter gloves in summer. Although when the misery of looking good outweighs weirdness who cares?

I am really sorry that you are so tired. I would encourage you to view the chair as temporary, of course.
Are you the journalist? How about an experiment with what is like to use a wheelchair on a sightseeing trip. Oh, just remembered, there are quite a few bus tours in DC. There's a bus that drives up to the Potomac then becomes a boat.

Suz

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie,

Purchasing a wheelchair for such a low cost sounds like a good plan.

One thought I forgot to mention in regard to our Washington trip in May.....My Mom used a wheelchair to get around when challenged by long walking distances and she ended up participating in all activities that week. I spent so much energy trying to get from point A to B under my own steam, I ended up only attending about 50% of the planned activities. We have no doubt that had she not used a wheelchair, she would have spent most of her time in the Hotel bored out of her mind and feeling left out.

FYI - Don't do what I did on the Metro...On a return trip back to the Hotel my husband and I took the Metro. I was feeling exhausted and decided to use the elevator. A gentleman waiting for the elevator before us used it to get his bike up to street level. I don't know what happened but over five minutes passed and the elevator never returned to ground level. I became very impatient (hot May day and my fever was above 101) and decided to climb the stairs up to the street level. I thought I was doing pretty well until I was 3/4 way up. At that point my legs felt like lead and I felt like I didn't have the strength to lift them up to the next step. I had to actually stop on the stairs and rest for a few minutes. I made sure I used the elevator from that point on.

I am pleased you received the package. My husband mailed it for me and I was wondering if he wrote the wrong address on the label,lol. I look forward to receiving your note.

Best Wishes - Debbie/RI

Posts: 162 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add, bon voyage! [hi]
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shassler64
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3479

Icon 9 posted      Profile for shassler64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie!
I am really sad to hear that you are not improving.I have been where you are.I remember when we went on holiday about a year ago and I was thinking about a wheelchair for some of the activites,but I was able to pace myself.

My fatigue has worsened again lately.I cut out all wheat products and was feeling a bit better and when I put them back in my diet I have been a mess.Could you try eliminating wheat?

I am really distressed for you.What are they treating you with now?I am still on the 2 day a week IV abx(rocephin and zith),amoxycillin and oral zith the other day and 4 days a month I throw in a flagyl. Also plaquenil and nilstat.Some days I can't take anything as I am getting more and more nausea(wonder why).

This really is such a **** of a disease.Probably lose a star for that,oops!!!!

Wish I could help,it just isnt' fair.You are strong though and just keep trying everything you can and try and stay positive,

Take care,Sue.

Posts: 801 | From Kiama,Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie,

Keep us updated and some pictures from your trip would be nice. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Hi Everyone,

Again, thank you so much for all the replies and the great support you've all given me. It makes me feel a lot less uneasy about taking this step to ensure that the trip is as enjoyable as possible with as little stress on my body as possible.

Suz, I'm not a journalist (are you thinking of someone in particular?) but I do enjoy writing. I keep an online journal of my health stuff - http://www.caringbridge.org/ma/annielyme - and I really like the idea of writing about what it's like to go on vacation with a wheelchair. I will have to buy a special notebook before the trip! (Or maybe writing on my computer everynight would be easier.)

Sue, Thanks so much for your support. I did an elimination diet without corn or gluten for about two months last winter after which time I tested it, first with corn (no reaction) and then with gluten (again, no reaction). The corn showed up on an allergy/sensitivity test but was apparently incorrect and the gluten was thought to possibly exacerbate the thyroid disease I have (which apprently it wasn't, at least not to an extent I could feel).

It's possible food is causing problems, but right now it's more like a lack of food is causing problems. Eating has become very difficult for me due to nausea (I take Zofran for it up to 3 times a day but it's still there) and a lack of appetite - food just isn't appealing! I've lost some weight (12 lbs. in the past 4 weeks) which isn't altogether a bad thing, but I'm sure not eating is having a negative effect on my energy and all kinds of other things. I am now trying to push food more but it's a constant struggle, one I dealt with (although more severely) a year ago when I basically couldn't eat for 6 weeks and dropped almost 20 lbs. I'm now trying to eat more frequently and eat smaller servings of things, but it's still hard since there aren't many things that appeal to me. Enough about that, though...

I talked about all this with my dad the other day (may have just been yesterday, but it's hard to differentiate days when they're all so similar) and my plan to try to buy this inexpensive wheelchair sounded good to him but he doesn't like the idea of me being in a wheelchair. Everytime I've taken what seems like a step backwards to accommodate my deteriorating health (like getting a handicapped placard, thinking about getting a shower chair, etc.), my parents are at first shocked that I need the accommodations, then scared to think that I'm sick enough to need them, but after they get over that they're really supportive. So, I know that if my dad is given time to process this and realize that it really will help me, he'll be okay with it. And I assured him that this is pretty much just for this trip and I'm not going to become dependant on it. And we talked about how I'll be able to still walk around some if I'm feeling up to it, this is just to help me do everything I want to do without completely falling apart in the process.

I know it scares my parents to think about me being disabled to the point of not being able to go on a vacation and get around on my own two feet, but in the end they are always supportive of my needs and try to understand things from my perspective. Afterall, it was my dad who originally said that he wasn't sure I'd enjoy the trip much because my energy level is so low!

I've rambled enough here. Thanks for the support. I'll let you know when I've bought the wheelchair and maybe put up a picture of it so you all can see what it looks like. And I'll be sure to take lots of pictures when I'm in D.C. ('til mid-November, but not that far away) and post them here or put up a link to an online photoalbum so you can all see how much fun I had! [Smile]

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie,

Just a few more thoughts.

When I had really bad NMH, I seriously considered using a wheelchair for outings where I'd need to walk a lot. I also considered getting one of those fold out chairs that becomes a cane when folded up for shorter trips. And I was thinking about putting a chair in the shower.

Luckily the NMH improved with florinef and lyme treatment so I didn't follow through on the above but would've if orthostatic intolerance and weakness were still issues for sure.

Something else that has helped me a bunch is to have soups and purees and smoothies often as meals. Liquifying the food makes it easier to DIgest (makes body work less hard to break down so have more energy for other stuff), helps keep me well hydrated (necessary for NMH and detox)are easy to INjest (when don't feel like eating) and are easy to travel with (I'm also hypoglycemic so need to have easy healthy food with me at all times).

I keep these liquid meals very simple using few ingredients. I also follow a paleolithic type diet (not easy for vegetarians), avoiding all processed foods as well as all grains and dairy and I keep carbs low. I feel so much better eating this way.

Wishing you the very best!

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check your town's local Lion's club and like- organizations which may have loaner wheel chairs, walkers, crutches, and related stuff.
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where to go for a rental, but I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I went on a one-week holiday to Milan before I knew I had Lyme. I was using a cane at the time. It was sooo hard to see the sites and enjoy things because my endurance was so low.

I missed seeing museums and the city tour. Instead, I stayed mostly nearby or in my hotel room.

Looking back, I wish I had a wheelchair to help me get around and enjoy the city. Just my opinion, but I would suggest using whatever transportation means you need right now to get the best experience.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Be well,
SAK
 -

Posts: 371 | From Up North | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Hi Everyone,

Well, I now own a used wheelchair! I got in touch with a few people who had wheelchairs listed on Craig's List for pretty cheap, went and looked at one for $40 today and bought it! Here's a picture of it from the Craig's List listing:

-

It's in pretty good shape, especially for the price, and moves around easily because of the big wheels. It also has detachable foot rests (which I think I'll mostly be using on my trip) and it folds up for transport. So, I'm glad I have it now and don't have to worry anymore about how to get around in D.C. with my family.

Apparently my younger sister (who is going on the trip with me and my parents) isn't crazy about the idea of me being in a wheelchair while we're there but I'm sure she'll be okay with it once we get there (and I haven't talked to her about it yet, she just heard about it from my parents).

Thanks so much for all your support and suggestions with this! It really does help to know that you're all here for me and support me on this! I'll be sure to let you all know how the trip goes.

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arg,

Now, all you need is a pratt-whitney single jet engine, like the one on jimmy franklin's biplane. [woohoo] [dizzy] [lol]

have a good time in washington

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynn Lymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynn Lymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie,

I believe you are very close in age to my dtr. if I remember right. She couldn't walk more than 50 feet much of the first 4 years of her LD (ages 18-21). (She's now 23 and only used the chair occasionally.) So when she was able to get out of the house she used the chair. It was soooo much better for her to be able to get out and enjoy life than to stay in her room.

Considerations - I don't know about your arm strength, but my dtr doesn't (still) have the ability to push herself around (except a few feet now and then). We push her. Just so you know what to plan on.

Suggestions:
Try sitting in your chair for extended amounts of time. You are apt to get sore... [Frown] They aren't made very comfortable. We bought several cushions to make her chair more comfortable for her.

-cushion to sit on (from a medical supply store)
-cusion for her whole back, too (up and down)(just plain foam)
-cushion, too, forlower back support (wall mart)

It is interesting so see people responses to my daughter in her chair. She's very pretty and smiles as she can (when not to warn out). It's that invisiable disabilities thing. "You look to young and pretty to be in a chair" type thing.

Most people are very nice and smile (back) at her and try to help us with doors, let us go first, ect.

She hates the "pitty looks".

However, of course, there are those who stare. Little kids do and they don't know any better. She loves little kids and really tries to smile at them, and say "Hi"... It's the adult who stare that I can't believe their mothers didn't teach them any better manners.

I hope your sister doesn't make the chair an issue. It really is a great thing!!!!! You can go on the trip and really enjoy it - so you won't be beat and worn out - and maybe even slow the family down some. You can all do more and get more done with the chair!!!!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's been 6 years with the chair in our trunk. We are pros!

Hugs,
Lynn

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Hi Lynn,

Thanks so much for the reply. I haven't used the chair yet and it looks like I may not need it because my younger sister has decided she doesn't want to go to Washington so she and my mom wouldn't be going. I still do want to go with my dad (he's going on a business trip so it doesn't cost more for me to tag along) and pace myself very slowly but still get to do a few things while there and have a little vacation. My parents are both a little worried about me going without people there to be doing things with me but if I really took it easy and only did a little bit at a time, I think I'd manage okay. Worst case scenario, I spend the whole week in the hotel room on my computer or watching TV - not a whole lot different than what I do at home!

I'm still trying to change my sister's mind but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I need to sit down and talk to her a little more about it but she seems to have her mind set. She just got back from 10 days in Oregon (also with my dad - the company he works for is out there and my older sister lives out there, too, so they were visiting her) and she's sick of travelling and being gone. And she doesn't know what fun things there are to do in Washington besides the "boring" museums.

Any ideas of exciting things to tempt her with? She's 15 (almost 16) and artsy/creative but doesn't really like "educational" stuff that much. My biggest goal is to go to the Holocaust museum (I've been there 3 times before but it's always so moving and has an impact on me) but I'm not sure she'd be interested in that. Any thoughts?

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Annie,

I would most definitely bribe her with a trip to Georgetown for shopping. [Smile] It's where all the Georgetown University students hang out and there is terrific shopping and pubs. A 15 year old would LOVE it.

Take the Metro to Friendship Heights and take one of the Wisconsin Avenue buses down to Georgetown. It's very European on the side streets (congressmen live there, very tony); and the main shopping street is I think on R street. Many shops and unusual boutiques all up and down Wisconsin Avenue in that area.

I've never known anyone not to love The Air and Space Museum, even if they profess not to like airplanes. (there's an amazing IMAX movie theatre. Make sure to see the absolutely unforgettable movie "To Fly"). Also, a whole lot of cool stuff like getting to be ON an aircraft carrier. And planes to climb into.

The American History Musuem (I think that's right) -- a cool exhibit of the First Wives all the way back thru the presidencies, and the dresses they all wore to the Inaugurations. On mannequins, TOTALLY life like and fun fashion history! Have a girlie time looking at all the dresses and then go to the old time soda fountain shoppe display and get a sundae.

There is a history of medicine exhibit that the more gory-minded could find creepily exciting. Some television history places. Oh, makes me want to go back to see!!

VERY cool animal and whale exhibits at Natural History Musuem.
AMAZING gemstone collections! Seriously, dazzling stuff. Get something completely unique in the gift store.

The Capitol -- contact your state's congressional office while there (or ahead of time) to get a pass to attend sesssions of Congress. (We're all allowed as citizens to sit in the galleries). There used to be an underground mini- railway that would take the public betw. the Capitol and the Senate Office buildings and other locations. I don't know if security changes have affected that, I did that last in 1985.

The museums of the Smithsonian really are extraordinary. I bet she would not find them boring -- there are truly cool things in the American and the Natural History.

I wanted to add that you are absolutely doing the right thing in going by wheel chair. Once you get off at the Metro Stop for the "Mall" or the Smithsonian, the walks are long. Getting across the Mall from one museum to another, and the Capitol, these are really, really long walks. When you get out of the Metro Stop you will be very, very glad you don't have to walk it.

If I were you, I would try to spend some time in the National Gallery of Art - there are the most peaceful *garden courts* on either side of the West Gallery and you can sit in comfy chairs and listen to the fountains and be surrounded by plants and Renaissance Della Robias. I find it Heaven. It calms my spirit, always, gives me joy.

(You could always send her to the gift store for unique posters).

What's amazing is that it is all free. In Boston I am shocked by the fees they charge for the Museum of Fine Arts. It keeps me from going w. my family -- too much. But the Smithsonian is all free!!

I really do think a younger person would love it. You wouldn't have to do the "gov't" things.

Since I've lived there, there have also been new musuems that have opened up.

I think you could have a lovely time together!

Will write if I think of some more!!

Even if she doesn't go and you're on you're on your own, come up from the Smithsonian Metro and wheel across the Mall's side to the Nat'l Gallery of Art..... it always gives my spirit such a lift.

Annie, I SO wish I could be there with you!

And remember: the shops in Georgetown are unique and hip and trendy and full of college folks. I can't remember where you are from; but she can go to high school and say, "Oh, yes, I got this in Georgetown."

Please tell all!
[Smile]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS - I almost forgot -- does she like music or dance or performing arts?

The Kennedy Center can be quite pricey and is not Metro-friendly. But there is a brand new performing arts center just outside DC in Rockville, MD called the Strathmore Arts Center. And it's a straight shot on the Metro.

If you did a search for the Strathmore Arts in Rockville (or Bethesda, not positive) - you could get their calendar: they have everything from jazz to blues, to all kinds of groups, dancers, and chamber and orchestra. But they definitely have pop concerts and bands. There was a great jazz trumpeter there recently.

I have to fall into bed and can't look up the link - let me know if you have trouble.

It's not as high brow as the Kennedy Center (read, not as pricey) and the Metro goes STRAIGHT THERE. You get off at the Grosvenor Stop in Bethesda/Rockville. Straight shoot out on the Red Line. And the Hall is right there. Elevators and an enclosed bridge will take you there.

They have food and drinks there, too.

Ok, food (did I mention Georgetown has great restaurants?), bands, shopping, college kids, pubs, and some bonding time with her sister! What more could a 15 year old want!!

Please keep us posted. Wish I could be there!
[Smile]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Hi again,

I'm pretty sure (check website links for this to confirm) -- that the Washington National Zoo has a new baby panda bear. I think there is even a panda cam so you can watch it. Would she like that? The zoo is actually tons of fun there and is also right on the Metro. (Woodland Park Zoo stop).

Do you have a guidebook of DC? Because I think that there have been new musuems opened since I lived there that involve arts and crafts, including Native American, if she's interested in that.

Also, I'm trying to remember some of the "artsy" neighborhoods where there might be galleries (Adams Morgan? Dupont Circle?) These also used to be bustling and hip neighborhoods where trendy artists hung out. Not sure if it's the same so do check a guidebook.

Did I misread before: if she does not go, then you won't be taking and using the wheel chair?

Well then, here is another idea. Besides walking it slowly, and just taking in one or two terrific musuems for the respite and uplifing of your spirit, check out:

1. Segway rentals. You know, those new fangled things you step on with 2 wheels that you steer and that takes you by wheels while you stand on it? It was all the rage this summer. I don't know how pricey it is but it could take you around the Mall to the museums you want to see.

2. Trolley tours!! Very popular! You buy a ticket for a day and can get on and off at the different museums!! I believe there's one just in front of the Nat'l Gallery of Art, among other stops. You choose which musuems and locations to get off, and then you return to the various "bus stops" conveniently located and they'll ride you to all the others on the circle of sights.

Wish I had thought of that before!!

If you had energy for just one musuem, depending on what inspires you, I'd choose the Gallery of Art (both old paintings and a wing of modern art, as well as those Paradise like Garden Courts for resting, sitting, being with the fountain, surrounded by plants and unobtrustive blue and white Renaissance art works). Or the Corcoran, another art gallery. I'm less familiar with that.

Are you into medieval and Renaissance art? Impressionism? They have it all, including the only Leonardo da Vinci painting in the U.S. (Ginevra di Benchi). Marvelous. Take breaks to sit in the comfy chairs in the Garden courts. Always renews my spririt!

I didn't realize you wouldn't have your chair if your sister weren't along to help you with it.

If you limited your destinations and took your time, and esp. if you took the trolley, I believe you could do it and get a whole lot out of a visit!! In my mind, even one museum is worth the trip!

The Boston musuem lets you rent little folding stools to sit on. I don't know if the Nat'l Gallery of Art does, but there are definitely benches in every single room. I remember needing them.

Of course I'll write if I think of more. Your sister might also be enticed by a ride out to Pentagon City not for the gov't building but for the AMAZING SHOPS there, too!! Right on the Metro (I believe yellow and/or blue line, but check).

It's an underground mall and tons of fun. And there is the Crystal City mall, too!

There are also tons of day trips if your dad will be having a car and has a day off to spend with you.

There is an unforgettable store of stitchery products (needlepoint canvases, knitting, amazing yarns, and supplies) in Kensington, not far from the Grosvenor Stop. (Called Inez's Stitchery).

White Flint Mall is at the White Flint Metro stop, and you take a shuttle bus to get to the Mall. But I'm talking so many Malls here: for "original" boutique and unique shopping, go for Georgetown.

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you, and I am sorry to have hijacked a Medical thread on wheel chairs to a tourist thread!

If you rent a Segway, you gotta tell us all about it!! They were being rented in front of the Smithsonian Museums, too, but I don't know for how much. It would get you around the Mall.

There are other powerful places of course, such as the Vietnam Memorial; but unless there is a special reason you are there, I find it more heartbreaking than renewing.

Go see the panda bear baby and get a stuffed one.
And bask in the Paradise of the Art Gallery's Garden Courts.

I think people don't realize how different the Nat'l Gallery of Art is from other art museums around the country. It's very classical, with mythological fountains, marble everywhere. The building itself is an architectural wonder, very Greek. (With the East Wing for the modern stuff - totally different). Since the entrance fee is free, perhaps you could splurge for a wheel chair rental there.

Let me know what your sister decides, and where your interets are leaning. I so wish I could be back in my hometown area to show you.

(Incidentally, Rock Creek park is an emerald of park land.... but it is full of ..... DEER and TICKS!! So, might want to reconsider that one).

Sit in the marble garden courts and treat yourself to a snack or meal or tea at the nicer Art Gallery cafe. A plate of fruit and cheese.... quiche, a tarte. Full of ambiance, not pricey for a simple dish or tea, and just so pampering.

Sorry to go on so long, just makes me happy for you.

Keep us posted!

[ 19. May 2007, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: henson2 ]

arg82
Member # 161

henson, thanks so much for all the info and suggestions! I looked into some of the things you mentioned and they look like great things to do. I will especially make sure to go to the National Gallery - it sounds wonderful and relaxing and it's nice to know there are lots of places to sit and rest.

If my sister and mom don't end up coming on the trip, I will not be able to use the wheelchair because I really don't have the energy to push myself in the chair. My mom and sister were both going to be working to push me around so it wasn't just on my sister and my mom would have probably ended up pushing more than my sister.

I'm going to talk to my sister about the trip again in a few days when she's gotten over her last trip (she just got back on Saturday from being in Oregon for 10 days and really didn't want to be gone that long). I did e-mail her with some thoughts and suggestions and just letting her know that one of the reasons I was looking forward to the trip was to be able to spend time with her. We are just far enough apart in age so that we aren't really close but she's at an age now where we can hang out and relate on a lot of things. We don't spend a lot of time together at home since I'm never feeling very well and she's a reclusive 15-year-old who is either in her room or out with friends, so I think this trip would be a fun time for both of us. I don't want to push it on her and have her have a horrible time, though.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas! If you think of other things, please do let me know. I guess part of the problem I'm finding is that I don't know exactly what it is my sister likes to do! We're not much alike so I don't think we'd really find the same things really interesting but I do want to let her know what D.C. has to offer. I'll definitely tell her about Georgetown!

Oh, and fyi, we'll actually be staying in Baltimore because that's where my dad's business conference is. So if you have any suggestions of things to do in Baltimore that would be great, too!

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

henson2
Member # 463

Hi, Annie,

We would always set out for the Harbor in Baltimore. Lots of shops and a variety of restaurants and I seem to remember a historic ship often docked there. With old cannon and tours of the old sleeping quarters and everything. [Smile]

Definitely hit the Harbor! There are boat rides that I remember, a kind of boardwalk, and lots of places to sit.

It's been some years since I've been there, but I'm pretty sure if you looked it up on the web you'd find all of its attractions -- and more there than I knew of! [Smile] I'm 99% sure it's full of shops, shops, and shops, too. [Smile]

Shall write if I think of more.

I hope you get to bond with your sister.

Shall be thinking about you.
[Smile]

Lynn Lymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lynn Lymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie, Even if you sis doesn't end up wanting to go, wouldn't it still be fun going with your dad? Would he have time to go out with you in the evening? You could do things slowly without the chair - or with your dad pushing the chair.

Even if you spend the day in the room - like you do at home - like you said - and then if you could go out in the evening - the trip is still better than being at home!!!! Steppin' on out into this world! [Smile]

Only you know how much energy it would cost you in balance of what you would gain emotionally - fun!

Best wishes!

Lynn

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Thanks Lynn and henson (by the way, nice to meet you yesterday!). I still haven't talked to my sister to see if there's a chance she might change her mind. My dad seems to think her mind is made up but I'll still talk to her.

My dad will mostly be in meetings for the whole week but there will be at least one day where he will be free so we'll be able to go out and do something that day. I'll still bring the wheelchair and may still use it but it definitely won't be as helpful when I'm out and about by myself. While it would certainly make things a whole lot easier to have someone else with me to push me around and all that and reduce my walking, it's kind of easier if I'll be by myself because I can do things at my pace and go to the places I really want to go without being worn out going to places I'm not really interested in. I'll have to make a list of the places I'd like to visit and try to figure out the most energy-efficient way of getting to as many of them as possible.

I looked into some of the things in Baltimore and there are quite a few things that look like fun. Namely the Zoo (they have penguins there - I'm kind of a penguin fanatic!), maybe the aquarium, and the harbor. I think I'll be able to entertain myself doing those things when I'm kind of at an in between energy level (not high enough to go into D.C. and not low enough to have to just rest in the hotel room).

Lynn, I feel exactly like you said - if I go and I'm not doing well and have to spend most of the time in the hotel room, at least I will have gotten out and gone on a little trip! And the possibility that I'll be up to doing something at least a few days while I'm there is pretty high so I think it's worth the risk that I'll crash afterwards. I will be careful to take it slow and pace myself.

Thanks so much for all the support and suggestions! [Smile]

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement