LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hey gang remember the Western Fence Lizzard in Nevada...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey gang remember the Western Fence Lizzard in Nevada...
livinlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for livinlyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever heard anymore about the research they were doing ... about how the lizzard does not contract Lyme Disease??? even though it is covered and biten by the ticks all the time.. how is appears to cleanse it's own body?
PLEASE anyone???
LindaD

--------------------
"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Posts: 1389 | From who knows, who cares, but somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Livin Lyme,

This is actually the first I've heard of this wonderful little guy!

I didn't find anything on the study yet, but this is great news!!

I'm going to keep looking, hopefully I'll find something.

what do you say to going to california to suck on some lizards!

Here's the websites I was on:
California Academy of Sciences

Western Fence Lizards may reduce the incidence of Lyme Disease in their range! It has recently been discovered that when infected ticks feed on the blood of these lizards, the Lyme disease spirochetes they carry are destroyed.

In areas with Western Fence Lizards, about 5 percent of ticks carry the disease, while in other areas 50 percent of ticks harbor the disease.
--Reported by the NY Times News Service, April 19, 1998.

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Posts: 251 | From East Greenville pa, usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie believes it is the hormone melatonin that the lizard makes that kills the lyme bacteria in the ticks.

However, the amount of melatonin would be in excess of what we humans could take to cure lyme.

I have not seen any studies on this yet, though. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from what I've just read, there was a study done
by a entomologist at U.C. Berkely.

Studies conducted by U.C. Berkeley entomologist Robert S. Lane show that:

* Nymphs that have their fill of lizard blood loaded with bacteria become adults that do not carry the bacteria.
* Borrelia bacteria inserted directly into lizard blood die within an hour.
* The lizard blood determines whether nymphs become vectors for Lyme disease

still can't find the study itself,( maybe it's not published in it's entirety?) just highlights form other sites.

He's working on quite a few projects though.
Good Man.

So far I've read that it's a protein, and then in other articles an unknown agent.

I still say we suck on some lizards and see what happens [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Posts: 251 | From East Greenville pa, usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the answer to this question was given by a former poster, Marnie. check archives between years 1999/2000-2002; mechanism is not as simple as we think, or been led to believe, in the sense of "there is a singular protein(s), or other molecule(s) in the lizard's blood that binds to Bb...," or o/w brings about Bb's destruction.
Don't i wish this were the case...

sorry i can't recall the explanation, as i believe there were a number of factors involved in the explanation. no time to hunt through the archives.

if there was a singular killing agent [Frown] , we would've seen these lizards on the endangered species list, and seeing media headlines to the effect of "...to-date, several hundred desperate individuals with lyme disease have been arrested tapping the jugular veins of....lizards often left on the ground at the base of fence posts...homemade lab facilities for isolating the the putative killing agent of borrelia are often found in the houses of the desperate...."

[Smile]

[ 25. September 2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with the researcher, Lann I believe almost two years ago on this and posted then.

The Western Fence Lizard does not contract lyme because they have EXTREMELY high intracellular heat.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard they didn't know what it was in the blood. They were hoping to work on it.

All lizards are cold blooded animals, western fence lizards (AKA blue belly lizards) would have the same body temps as any other lizards in the area.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

quote:
Originally posted by pq:
we would've seen these lizards on the endangered species list, and seeing media headlines to the effect of "...to date, several hundred desperate individuals with lyme disease have been arrested tapping the jugular veins of....lizards often left on the ground at the base of fence posts...homemade lab facilities for isolating the the putative killing agent of borrelia are often found in the houses of the desperate...."

[Smile]

LMAO!! So, I suppose I should hold off on the road trip for now lol. For now.

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Not the kind of "pioneering" trip to the west i'd want to make, at least for now. [lol]

Meanwhile,I'll remain 'on the fence' about this solution till they find out whats going on.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livinlyme
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for livinlyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are so many links on this:
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/berkeleyan/1998/0429/lizard.html
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3707/is_199808/ai_n8815798
http://www.btceb.org/lyme.htm
http://www.physweekly.com/archive/98/05_18_98/cu4.html
http://www.laspilitas.com/reptiles_and_Amphibians/Lizards/Western_Fence_Lizard/Western_Fence_Lizards.htm
http://arthritis.about.com/library/weekly/aa042198.htm
http://www.calacademy.org/science_now/archive/wild_lives/fence_lizards_050601.html
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/scel-occ.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/04/17/MN65130.DTL
A thought years ago was to get a few of them and leep them in my home and maybe somewhere along the line we might be cleansed too.. but there are unfortunatly laws prohibtiing the transfer of creatures from one locale to another.....I still think there is a link to a cure here somewhere.... it used to be thought that cats can not contract this disease because they constantly clean themselves.. LOL
I would like to see this documented. anyone know of a cat who has LD?
I know all of our dogs have it... And I don't need a vet to tell me... [Smile] I mean really how accurate are canine blood tests if human blood tests are lacking...

Linda D

--------------------
"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Posts: 1389 | From who knows, who cares, but somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livinlyme
Member # 3773

quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimeOfLyme:

The Western Fence Lizard does not contract lyme because they have EXTREMELY high intracellular heat.

Ok.. so how do we take this knowledge and implement it into a cure?
can you ask Bob that.. that is the guy's name right Bob...or was it Ken? my brain is slowly loosing it's processing again from lack of ABX...
sorry..
Linda D

--------------------

livinlyme
Member # 3773

Okay here is a great link more recent:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/issue/203/203-052-01.htm

"Robert Lane, professor of insect biology at the University of California at Berkeley, has found that a complex of enzymatic proteins in the lizards' blood actually kills Lyme-disease bacteria."

--------------------

Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Okay, lets say that they isolate whatever is in the blood that kills the chetes. protein, whatever.

How would it then be used? it would have to penetrate EVERYTHING in our bodies. Maybe it could then be used with something else to 'carry'
it to those hard to reach areas.

Maybe more effective for early cases?

I hope we can find out something soon.

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

livinlyme
Member # 3773

Good point Kimmi,,,
I wasn't thinking about the nero where it is in the brain and the barrier there... I was just thinking if they could find a cure... that it would be enough to treat us with it and evetually all the bugs would get zapped.. maybe they would have to over a period of time in order that the ones in dormant stages or cyst stage or where ever th3e "fix" might not reach would eventaully get zapped also.. I guess until they find something that will cure it .. we are stuck with life "as is" and dreaming our dreams of course which is the only thing now that keeps me hanging in there..
oh to dream, if I can not dream anymore, I am doomed..

--------------------

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had 2 emails from Robert Lane...directly.

Lizards, amphibians...make a LOT more melatonin than we, humans, do. Important, though to research HOW MT works...

I believe it is this hormone (protein) that destroys Bb...

Melatonin is needed for NREM (non REM...rapid eye movement) sleep...acetylcholine for REM sleep (when we MAKE most proteins). NREM MUST precede REM...

Keep this in mind when you read my other posts.

Can you take enough melatonin to block acetylcholine completely? No! And shouldn't. Longstanding lyme patients already have NO REM SLEEP. We make proteins during REM sleep. Acetylcholine is kapoot.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

LivinLyme,

I apologize, I didn't intend to come off like I was trying to P*** in your campfire.

I'm just wondering, like when you get a wrapped present " what's in the box! what's in the box!"

and your absolutely right, it wouldn't matter to me how long it took for it to get all of them, just that it WOULD, and it's written in stone.
It definitely gives you hope.
Wildlife rocks! [woohoo]

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Marnie,

Has the good professor mentioned anything lately about his progress in regards to this?

Now, I don't know much about what your talking about. You certainly know alot about the more technical side of this stuff than I do.

Aren't there things that we could take to allow more of this rem sleep that you speak of?

I mean, even a 'healthy' person only gets a little of the rem sleep during a full 8hrs of sleep right?

Then we could produce these proteins. and feel FABULOUS! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

livinlyme
Member # 3773

I don't take things too personally on here Kimmi and I did not take what you siad in offense... we are all trying to get to the same thing a cure a permenient cure...

so lets have a little fun while trying to get there... there is enough S--- in the real world to deal with we don't need tp bring it in here....I mean sharing is one thing but attacking a view would be considered hostile and the only thing I'm hostile to is this bacteria! and possibly the person(s) responsible for it being a problem....
Rally up Gang we have work to do!

--------------------

livinlyme
Member # 3773

hey Marnie,

I have contacted him several times and I never get a reply.. way to go! you must have some connections there gal...
Keep it up ..
Linda D

--------------------

pq
Member # 6886

if there are enzymes in the lizard that kill Bb, then one would need access to the journal(s) in which their names are mentioned.

One or more of these just may be in plants, other animals, or even us.

gotta check into the melatonin connection.

livinlyme
Member # 3773

I think this is where that guy from Italy (ICHT DNA) got his idea from and now it doesn't csound like such a good angle to go in:
http://www.siskiyous.edu/class/anth2/dnafacts.doc
Bob Lane just told me they have not gone any further with this study and he does not know of anyone looking into the correlation between lyme and the Western Fence Lizard..
I asked him if he would provide a break down of what the "complex of enzymatic proteins in the lizards' blood" are in order to possibly find a person who will take off from there in order that they might possibly identify a cure...Do we have any lab "techies" that might find this research worth the endeavor? and then could we set up some form of donations to help with the cost of researching this?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement