LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biaxin XL side effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biaxin XL side effects
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 19 year old college student son is starting biaxin XL today after being on levaquin for a month. He is to take 2000 mg daily.

Any side effects he should be aware of? Our llmd did say she had a patient that had to discontinue because of depression.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Biaxin for about a month and it caused pretty bad depression in me. I'm not normally proned to it so it was a little scary! I changed over to Zithromax and Ceftin.

I've heard a lot of people do well on it so you'll just have to see how he does.

Also, it leaves a very bitter taste in your mouth. Especially upon awakening. I talked to someone on here who had taken it for over a year and he said the metallic taste was still a problem.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no side effects really except for the nasty metallic taste in your mouth, you get used to it, suck on candy or gum, it helps. Also, some occasional diarrhea... Biaxin works great, did good things for me.
 -

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got severly depressed with not caring if a train ran over me. Immediately stopped after I figured out it may be the biaxin,I stopped the Biaxin the depression and morbid thoughts went away............... zithromax doesn't do this.

Be watchful for a change in his personality and agression and withdrawaling from people.The thoughts were so dark that sometimes I would wish lightening would strike me or a tractor trailor would run into me...........not fun. It was as if I was not in control of these gloomy thoughts, immediatly stopped within two weeks of stopping Biaxin.

I would NEVER take Biaxin again!!!!!!!!

aunty

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe this! I've been on Biaxin for a while and thought the negative thoughts, bad dreams, and sad feelings were just the Lyme maybe finally getting to my psyche! Or that the Lyme was being killed by the Biaxin and that was pulling me down.

I had no depression on Claforan, Rocephin, Unasyn, Doxy, or Ceftin. But now I know from you that it's the drug!

Thank you so much for the light!

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will send this to my son at school. Awareness is so important because the abx mix with each person's chemistry....... differently.

Thank you all for your responses!

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can also cuase nightmares. I didn't have a problem from Biaxin w/ depression or bad dreams. I have just heard from my LLMD.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be adding Biaxin to my regimn,,,,

Are there any particular articles/reseacrh about Biaxin and depression?

I am interested in reading if so.

I was on it about 5 years ago. I do not remember it making me depressed, but the last thing I need right now is a drug to bring me down mentally :-0

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had depression before biaxin so it doesn't make a difference to me! Although I have noticed a decline in nightmares, which I had before biaxin too...although there is just a bit of brain decline overall so maybe the nightmares were better, at least they were something. Good luck. I've noticed a lot of drugs also cause what they claim to cure in the great irony. If your son doesn't already have depression, given what's been said for sure he should monitor himself or be monitored.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

It just goes to show how each one of us is so different, and how we all likely have different strains of Lyme.

For about 18 months, Biaxin was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I functioned better on it, felt better, thought I had found my "maintenance treatment" for life for a while (I still had the Lyme sx of severe nerve pain and fatigue and fever --- but it all felt so much more manageable).

I didn't take the XL form. I took just Biaxin, and with Plaquenil.

We switched to Zithromax to see if I'd get improvement, and, WOW, BANG, that is when the depression and totally uncharacteristic black thoughts started. Never experienced anything like it. I gave it some valiant tries, going off for a bit and trying again. But for now at least I cannot tolerate Zithro.

It does make me wonder how the different drugs cause the Lyme to express itself differently. Or if we each react to the drug alone in certain ways.

I don't know if the Biaxin vs. Biaxin XL made a difference; I wasn't on the XL form. (And I never had the bad taste people complain about.... instead, there was a kind of sweet coating on it, so it went down easy).

So.... I don't know what's Lyme and what's the drug.

I did find much improvement and hopefulness on the Biaxin and I hope your son does, too.

My warmest wishes for improvement and wellness very soon!
Your son has my sympathy and good wishes.
[Smile]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Biaxin XL and Plaquenil.

The only side effect I've had is the metallic taste in my mouth (the worst time is when I wake up).

I'm taking 1000 mg daily (500 mg 2 times a day).
I thought that was the typical dose for treating Lyme.
I've read in his "Diagnostic Hints...Guidelines" Dr B recommends Adults take 500 to 1000 mg q 12h.

Valymemom said her 19 yr old son is taking 2000mg per day.
What dose of Biaxin are all of you taking per day?

For those with depression, etc, are you taking a larger dose?
Just wondering what most of you had?

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

This is so very helpful.

My son is only 120 lbs and has absolutely no appetite. Losing weight/lack of interest in food is one of his symptoms.

I don't know how this is going to be on his stomach, either. We'll find out.

fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter was on Biaxin XL for 8 months. No problems just nake sure he is taking probiotics. I could be wrong but I think she took 1000mg once a day.

She did have some horrible herxs on the Biaxin. It seemed to clear her GI symptoms. The herxs were bad. She would stay in bed for 18 hours.

Good luck!

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first week I took biaxin I thought I was going to die and I mean really die and it was only 500 mg. Everything in my body and mind went out of orbit my spine was burning and I was getting numbness in my spine. Everything magnified. I had to stop the biaxin all together and start up by breaking the 500mg tablet in half. I lost my appetite entirely and had much diarrhea from the biaxin I lost 10 pounds. When I started back up with half a tablet things got better and I was better able to tolerate. Now I habe been back on 500mg for a little over two weeks and today I feel like vomitting with a bad headache feverish and trying to drag myself into work so I don't get fired. Just wanted to share this so that your son may expect to lose a little weight if it has a similar reaction in him.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaunabhealthy
Member # 7189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaunabhealthy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My migraines and daily headaches increased on Biaxxin. We switched to Zith, and am now better.
Too bad though, because the Biaxxin was working the best for me.
THough another side effect I would like to avoid is teeth stains - it can be bad that way.

Posts: 19 | From vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only side effect I had on Biaxin was staining of my teeth. It came right off at the dentist.

I did have increased muscle pain, particularly in my quads and feet. But I think this was a herx and not a side effect. From looking back, it looked like it was Bartonella symptoms to me.

I think I was on 2000mg a day as well, also about 120 pounds.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience was like Aniek's, staining of the teeth, but it came off with regular cleaning at the dentist's office.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement