LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SOS - Vasculitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOS - Vasculitis
jewelie
Member # 897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have been diagnosed with vasculitis and lyme.
I have had 12 weeks of rocephin, and while on it I would get shooting pains in both of my arms and sometimes in my chest. It went away after some weeks on rocephin. I have now been on different oral antibiotics at different intervals - Zithromax and Cipro. Each time I get the shooting pains in my arms again. This week, the doctor was treating me with Clindamycin because I had bronchitis. I noticed I got a throbbing pain in both arms again, but it got stronger more the nearer the time when I needed to take another dose of medicine. I don't know if the antibiotics are causing more inflamation or what? If anyone has any help in explaining what might be going on I would appreciate it. Thanks
jloisu, I noticed you had some questions about vasculitis, too. Can you give any clues? Thanks

--------------------
Julie L. Upman

Posts: 18 | From St. Petersburg, FL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jewelie,

I have shooting shock like pains in my left arm and left leg, about every 2-10 seconds. They do happen in other areas like my right leg (never my right arm) every now and then. My old LLMD said it was irregular seizure activity.

I had a SPECT showing significant vasculitis. So much so that the radiologist said that it appeared that I had had trauma to my brain. SPECTs and PET scans are the preferred scans for lyme as MRIs and CTs can come back normal. MRIs and CTs only show structure, not function of the brain.

I will try to get together another post with links to good information on vasculitis and SPECT scans. I'm sure you already know the basics. Vasculitis is inflammation of the blood vessels due to infiltration of the vessel walls by white blood cells (your immune system basically attacking yourself).

How were you diagnosed? Did you have a SPECT, PET, or MRI?

Your shooting pains, are they shock like nerve pain? I see a new LLMD on Monday to talk with him in depth about this as this is my primary symptom.

I will get that information together for you here and repost! [Smile]

jloisu

--------------------
jloisu

Posts: 197 | From Seeing Lyme Green in Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jewelie! Man, that sounds very painful! Maybe the clindamycin is helping, but not doing the job against the inflammation that the other abx was doing....?? That might explain why it's really bad by the time you're due another round of abx. [whereas it didn't happen before]

You might also be interested in this from Sloan-Kettering's website on mangosteen and inflammation. Mangosteen has helped me tremendously with inflammation. Contact me if you have questions about it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013733

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelie
Member # 897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, again,

Thanks for your replys. I feel like I don't quite understand what vasculitis is and how I can get relief from it.
I haven't had a SPECT done (In fact I hadn't even heard of one till I read some posts about it). My doctor diagnosed it by my symptoms only and she hasn't explained it much at all.

jloisu, could you please reply to my private post again. I didn't include an important piece of information. Sorry! I appreciate it.

lymetoo, thanks for your link. I will let you know if I have any questions.

Bye, for now

--------------------
Julie L. Upman

Posts: 18 | From St. Petersburg, FL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somerset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hello my fellow Lymies," Since we are on the topic of vasculitis, has anyone heard of Wegener's Granulomatosis? could it be a coinfection of Lyme? I've been looking for answers for couple of years now, husband has it,almost lost him a couple of times. Nobody seems to know where this disease comes from.If by any chance this is a coinfection,we all must be aware of what this infection can do,it's deadly if not caught in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Robin
Posts: 139 | From Panama City, FL., USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somerset....

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7296

I have Wegener's Granulomatosis. I have been completely off all medication and in remission since 1992 (6 years). This past Fall, I have had severe joint pain and red bumps below my knees. Fearing a recurrence of WG, I promptly went to my doctors. I have now been diagnosed with Erythema Nodosum. My question is are there any known links between WG and Erythema Nodosum?

Doctor's Response:
Erythema nodosum is a type of skin inflammation which results in reddish, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the legs below the knees. The tender lumps, or nodules, of erythema nodosum range in size from 1 to 5 centimeters. The nodules are caused by a special pattern of inflammation in the fatty layer of skin.

Erythema nodosum may occur as an isolated condition or in association with other conditions including medications (sulfa-related drugs, birth control pills, estrogens), strep throat, Cat scratch disease, fungal diseases, infectious mononucleosis, sarcoidosis, Behcet's disease, inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), and normal pregnancy.

Erythema nodosum is not considered a manifestation of Wegener's granulomatosis. Nevertheless, Wegener's granulomatosis can cause inflammation, redness, pain, and ulceration areas in the skin of the legs below the knees. This skin inflammation can mimic erythema nodosum. Sometimes a biopsy of the upper and lower layers of skin can be helpful to distinguish between these diagnoses.

Thank you for your question.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Here's more

http://www.wgassociation.org/aboutwg/whatis_wg.jsp

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Anybody have a birthday in October??

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013724

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somerset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Lymetoo", It's Robin, just sent you a private message Please email me at: [email protected] " Thank you Lymetoo," Robin
Posts: 139 | From Panama City, FL., USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelie
Member # 897

jloisu, you can email me at [email protected].
Look forward to your response. Thanks, Julie

--------------------
Julie L. Upman

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement