LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone for sure got Bartonella?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone for sure got Bartonella?
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I go IV I recently saw a new LLMD that suggested I give Bartonella treatment a shot. My old LLMD (that I may stay with) didn't suggest this and is planning on be doing a PICC if I don't respond to the Babesia treatment.

Can anyone out there w/Bart tell me what their symptoms were? Were they mostly neuro - esp. pain?

I'm tired of chasing coinfections if they aren't there and ready to do the PICC, but don't want to overlook anything.

Thanks,

jloisu

--------------------
jloisu

Posts: 197 | From Seeing Lyme Green in Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Bartonella once. My lymph nodes swelled (one never went down) and I got something similiar to a very bad cold. But I was infected by a cat bite.

I am now on Cipro as preventative measures from another cat bite.

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tested positive for Bart in the past.

I hope someone comes along with the list I've seen. It describes many associated symptoms.

I know it can cause many neuro problems and skin rashes, gastro problems, too. That's all I know. I can't separate all my symptoms out since I have multiple infections!

I think it's worth treating for it if it's a possibility.

Steph

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there certain places where one would contract babesiosis? I don't think I've been tested because I was told it is on the Vineyard.

Llmd said if I had the other two infections, that biaxin took care of those.

I could've been tested but don't know.

I know a friends mom had babs. but she does live on the Vineyard.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymeloco:
Is there certain places where one would contract babesiosis? I don't think I've been tested because I was told it is on the Vineyard.

I have babs, and I've never been 1,000 miles of the Vineyard. You can get babs from any tick, and I believe from any mosquito that carries it.

We did a poll on where people got babesia....but I was unable to bring it up. I think it got erased.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS...This thread is about bartonella!

Sorry, joe!!
[Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found the info in "Bartonella Alert" to be very helpful.
It was written to be a 1 page handout.
Info was from 150 - 200 pages of info.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008362.html

I've heard that testing for co-infections is not any more reliable than testing for Lyme.
So sad!!

You mentioned Babesia treatment.
What are you taking & for how long?
Babesiosis can be very difficult to deal with.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

I had bart for years, and started getting better immediately with rifampin + ketek treatment. If there is any chance at all you have it, you have to treat for it. The symptoms can be interchangeable with Lyme, and even worse, they can be partially suppressed by Lyme drugs.

Without any treatment, bart begins as a relapsing fever that has neurological side effects: disorientation, mood changes, difficulty with reading, concentration, mild attention deficit disorder. As it progresses, you get splitting headaches, swollen lymph nodes, sore throats, shin splints, body aches, severe neurological disturbances, severe ADD, insomnia, extreme fatigue, scratchy eyes, thyroid problems, blood seeping continuously from your nose, and eventually psychosis. Yes, you read that right.

I've been thinking about a PICC line as a last resort for the most hard to reach Lyme. With bartonella treatment, however, I went from being almost completely disabled by relapsing fever and fatigue to 90% remission in a couple of months. I still have mild symptoms of everything, but at least I can hold down a job and exercise again. Although I always had one personality while I was sick, I had lousy impulse control and would get angry over nothing. The final destination would not have been pleasant.

jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cbb,

I have only been doing Babs treatment for 1 month now. No matter what, IV or not my LLMD want me to continue that for at least a total of 3 months.

As for Bartonella, I think it is a long shot. But most of my main symptoms are neuro w/vasculits on my SPECT.

Liz28 - I understand what you mean - I don't see my final destination as pleasant either if I don't start making some headway here. That is why I'm trying to decide if I should treat Bart. before IV or not.

Can they treat Bart. while on IV? Can Bart be transmitted any other way? My LLMD said the only confirmed case he treated was from a cat bite or something like that? Does that make sense?

Kara - you said you were infected by a cat bite right?

Thanks,

jloisu

--------------------
jloisu

Posts: 197 | From Seeing Lyme Green in Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[confused]

I have lyme and Bartonella and I have never been bitten by anything other than a tick...

As to the symptoms mine where all neurological. Thats typical of bartonella.

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jloisu:
My LLMD said the only confirmed case he treated was from a cat bite or something like that? Does that make sense?

Bartonella is cat scratch fever, but most here got their bart from a tick. Maybe your LLMD doesn't test for bart??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There should be some physical evidence that you have Bart. This is what Dr B says are the signs and syptoms of Bartonella :

BARTONELLA
 Possibly the most common tick-borne disease in our area
 Gradual onset
 Rarely a rash- can be stretch marks, raised red dots, painful ``spider veins''
 Symptoms- ``brain fog'', irritability, low grade fevers, sore nodules deep under skin, sore soles, enlarged lymph nodes

BARTONELLA RASHES
Photos taken by Dr. Martin Fried, with thanks to the Lyme Disease Association

Red bumps- may form scabs
Linear rashes- look like stretch marks
Spider veins (often tender)

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

Hey Lymetoo [hi] - got the impression from your (and possibly soon my) LLMD that the testing for Bart. was worse that for Lyme so you treat based on symptoms and look for improvement to rule it out.

That appears to be part of his normal protocol per his handouts he has preprinted out and appears to give to all patients. Cover all coinfections at least once before IV.

[confused]

Thanks,

jloisu

--------------------
jloisu

lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart from a cat (henslae) is different than from a tick. Bart from a cat is a self limiting disease that can easily be cured with meds, bart from a tick bite is a totally different situation.

so I have read from research I have done on bart since I have it also. Bart can really do a number on your eyes, heels, shins, skin and electric shocks as well I think (unless that is lyme?)

So hard to know what is what.

Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back at ya, joe! [hi] I thought maybe you were talking about the other LLMD. I'm sure Dr C has seen plenty of bart....but I know he rarely tests for it...just treats.

Lymelady, you are correct about the cat scratch, etc. Tincup used to have a great link on the difference. Anybody still have that link??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jlo, yes. A cat bite. Years ago. Well before Lyme. I have actually had 3 major cat bites:

Actually, Bartonella henselae (cat scratch from a cat) HAS been found in ticks and Igenex has started testing ticks for Bartonella h.

Igenex Information: 290 TICK TEST by PCR for Bartonella henselae 87

Even the CDC admits that ticks can be infected with Bartonella henselae:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol9no3/02-0133.htm

And the American Society of Microbiology has said the same thing since 2001:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/04/010413083109.htm

Ticks can carry bartonella h but also other strains of bartonella.

But with Bartonella h. , there does seem to be a differance in the severity by method of infection (tick bite vs. cat bite) even though both are the same strain. It is a mystery.

It could be that something happens during transmission--something that does not happen with the cat bite. What that something is...who knows.

--------------------
Kara Tyson

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The presence of lyme spiroketes is what makes the difference I think, it is the bart in combo with the lyme that makes it so trecherous; these coinfections I believe are all horrible because they are hand in hand with lyme
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Lymelady,

True. And I suppose the tick could be infected with muliple strains of bartonella, not just cat scratch...poor cats get the blame.

--------------------
Kara Tyson

blackbirdsings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbirdsings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a link to the pictures of rashes you can get with bartonella? Those sound very familiar to some places I have gotten...would like to see the pictures. Thanks!
Posts: 114 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

I never had a rash with it--more like ulcerations. The main thing is swollen lymph nodes which can get really really large.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Kara Tyson

patchas
Member # 5156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patchas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 2 years ago my doctor said I went negative on bartonella, after testing positive for about a year. So I believe I had it for sure.

I am now experiencing the same symptoms exactly - that I had when I thought I was initially infected with lyme, but am re-thinking it was bart from this thread.

What I experienced was a bad cold, swollen lymph node on my right side of my neck.

This time I have the same, but with a mole on my back that is swelling and has black spots on it, and is sore.

I am thinking I have been re-infected with bart.

What I am wondering is - I have a dog that just scratched me. Would that give one bart?

But in reality - it may once again be a tick bite.

Or, perhaps I was never cured - because many red freckles remained after the diagnosis.

The bart may have been in remission?

Also, so a post - tried of trying.

My thoughts exactly - seems never ending.

Pat

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

First off, dogs can get baronella h.

In fact, it has been found that dogs in the SE US have a high rate of infection. Here is a vet report from last year:
http://www.edpsciences.org/articles/vetres/pdf/2004/05/V4022.pdf?access=ok

Being from a tick bite doesnt exclude the possibility of transmission from a dog. An infected tick can be living on an infected dog.

I have never heard of remission with bartonella but if you have a great immune system, who knows. Perhaps it is possible.

--------------------
Kara Tyson

homelandstockfarm
Member # 7757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homelandstockfarm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be wrong but I thought it was actually the fleas from cats that transmitted the bartonella to humans and not the actual scratch or bite itself?

WV Hillbilly

Posts: 48 | From Five Mile Creek, WV,USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My twin sons have had the "Bartonella stretch marks" on their stomach and under their arms. Since they have been on minocycline the stretch marks have been disappearing. They were a deep red purple, but are now fading.

BTW-- they both had negative tests for Bart... Hmmmm. My opinion is, they don't have a test for every strain of Bart either. [shake]

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Should we consider getting rid of our cats?
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that was a joke lyme_suz [Big Grin]

Cats can be treated for Bartonella. I have three kitties myself and I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon.

I have, by the way, treated all of my cats.

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by patchas:
This time I have the same, but with a mole on my back that is swelling and has black spots on it, and is sore.

Please get that checked out immediately!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by micul:
BARTONELLA
 Possibly the most common tick-borne disease in our area

where is "our area?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Homeland,

It can either be from a tick, flea, or the actually scratch or bite.

The ticks and fleas feed on the animal that is infected and then bite others. It is believed that this is how a mother cat passes the disease on to her kittens--not by scratching/biting them.

--------------------
Kara Tyson

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Lymesuz,

since cats arent the only ones who carry the disease I dont think it would be necessary to get rid of your cat.

--------------------
Kara Tyson

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

This is from Dr B, so he is probably refering to the east coast as "our area" , but that doesn't mean that it isn't just as common in other areas.

--------------------

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Can you be treated for Bart while on IV? I know one LLMD I am seeing uses Rifampin, while Dr. B. suggest Levaquin in his most recent treatment guidelines.

If I don't have swollen lymph nodes, am I in the clear? Is that an absolute must have for Bart? If so then why is my LLMD suggesting trying Rifampin? I have many of the other symptoms, but those do overlap w/lyme, but do have nerve pain shooting in my leg/foot.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
jloisu

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Yes you can be treated for bart while on IV for lyme, but it depends on which drugs you are combining. You said that you have been on babs Tx for 1 month. That isn't enough time to do much against babs. Minimum Tx time is 4 months if you're really lucky. More realistically 7 months or more. It depends on how resistant it is, and what strain.

It is possible to Tx babs and bart at the same time also. It might be a good idea to continue with babs treatment because if you do have it and stop Tx, you are allowing it to develope resistance. That will make it harder to get rid of later.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement