LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tired of trying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tired of trying
Green Darkness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but must be depressed; tired of trying with this Lyme.
What happened? I just got off Ketek(which was great for the brain stuff) and had a rough ER visit for who knows what happened (I think it was my bladder was full and wouldn't empty), after being on my new rx of Zithro and Ceftin for a month.
Had hard time with the MILK THISTLE--have a very sen. stomach. The Ketek hurt my liver.
Now I am just trying my old stand by TRIMOX twice a day; o k , but rash is back and depression is back and I am sick of this disease.
I know we all get this way at times; need help.
Any comments appreciated.

Posts: 560 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't sound like very much fun. I'm so sorry! Are you taking an antidepressant?? I couldn't do without one.

What is Trimox??

I've never had trouble with milk thistle....did you take it with food?

Wish I could do more to help you! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Green... [Big Grin]

I'm so sorry that you are down. Can you tell us why you came off the ketek?

Also, If you are having trouble voiding you you maybe having symptoms of passing a stone? Have you seen a urologist?

Lymetoo is right, you may need an antidepressant. Most lymies do...as our brains are being chemically challenged. And the social trauma of being treated like we're are crazy doesn't help one bit either...

Hang in there

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing that has helped me the most is exercise. You have to start at whatever level you can and slowly go up from there.

On days I have my karate class, I feel soooooo much better. On days I don't go, I get stiff and sore and feel a lot worse mentally, physically and emotionally.

You can walk outside, jump rope (which takes a lot of practice but gets easier and is good cardio), lightly jog, stand in place and jog or do aerobics, shadow box in front of the mirror, find someone on t.v. who has an exercise program and commit to do as much as you can each day ---- there are numerous ways to get yourself motivated and I do know its hard to do when you're depressed but for me, its essential!!!

Some days I drag myself to my workout but it never fails, my whole outlook is better afterwards. I may even have to sit down and rest a couple of times but, hey, it beats the alternative.

Hope you feel better soon ----- Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find some humorous books, and read a bit each day....Dave Barry has some good ones. [Big Grin]

When you are having a hard day, find a friend to cry with.

We're here too.... [group hug]

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jump rope!!?? [Eek!] Even though I'm at 90%, there's no way I would be able to do that!

I agree that exercise is great, but since my sciatic nerve is so darned sensitive, I haven't done much for the past two years.

Most here would be doing well just to be able to walk down the street.

I think I'll buy a NIA tape. I used to do NIA and loved it, but the class was too much. I wouldn't feel so pressured to do as much as everyone else if I could do it at home. Sorry....talking out loud here! [Smile]

http://www.nia-nia.com I think....

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lymetoo,

I didn't mean to discourage you. I tried jump-roping after writing that and I can do like 20 and then have to stop, rest and start over. My teenage daughter told me I jump rope like a little girl --- oh well.

I wouldn't be able to do any of it except I started working out 8 years ago before I was real sick with lyme.

That's why I said you have to start where you are --- please don't feel guilty. If its only walking around a little bit, increase it the days you feel like it and don't feel guilty the days you don't. That's the last thing we need on our plates is feeling guilty!!!!

Some days I lay around all day long and do nothing!!! But, I do notice I feel worse those days. That was my only point.

OK, I'm finished rambling ~~~ Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could walk across the room I would be happy. I started using a cane two years ago, this year graduated to a walker.

I believe I will recover. Whether or not hard core exercising is in my future remains to be seen.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, GreenD.,

Here are some thoughts and ideas and care, all in rambling order .... [Smile]

I'm so sorry you feel this way.

Sometimes I just need to know that there are others who understand. And who care.

I found a book that helped me a lot, called "Peace in the Storm" by Maureen Pratt. She herself has Lupus and deals w. a lot of pain and fatigue issues familiar to me; I read her words and hear my own. There are some scriptural meditations of hers at the end of each short chapter, but that is not the reason I got it.

(Please do not interpret this as a converting attempt, it is not).

I got it because she has so many chapters that speak with her own wisdom of coping and finding meaning. The prayers at the end aside, her themes are that we matter, and that our lives matter.

She has chapters on so many amazing topics. Feeling guilty, when the pain is too much, discouragement, finding a way to get true rest, how to find meaning in this, the everyday angels who are around us -- and so much more.

The great Chinese art of Feng Shui says that one should be surrounded by things that make you happy. (If you don't use it, or love it, get rid of it). So I'm letting go of possessions that I found were dragging me down -- clutter that reminded me of my inability to clean my apt, or projects I could never get to.

It helps me a lot to clear my space (with my limited energy).

What are your favorite colors? [Smile]

I think the black clouds are part of the disease, too. Part of the herxes. If I were there I'd fix you a cup of tea and make toast and jam.

Please be gentle with yourself and treat yourself well. Try to eat and rest well.

The most important thing is to reach out for help and community, as you've done. Keep reaching out.

The advice ab. exercise is really good. I'm trying to walk, even though I've had some edema problems and feel like a lumbering elephant, in flip flops! It helps to ask someone to go with me, even on an errand. Just move the body.

Hold on to the thought that the clouds will clear - we just can't see it yet.

And that many others are here with you, with total understanding, and sending you a community of hugs and encouragement.

If you can, find someone to talk to, a friend or someone you know can offer you some attention. Cry with a friend. Or with us here.

I like the idea of getting humor books! I love Calvin and Hobbes. I find that distraction helps me a lot. Can you do creative projects of any kind? Needlepoint?

If any of this helps, I'm glad, but I understand the weight of those clouds. Check w. your doc, ok? Know that you aren't alone. We care.

Feel better and

((((Hugs))))) Let us know how you're doing.

[ 19. May 2007, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: henson2 ]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Green,
I'm really sorry you're feeling so depressed. When I was first dx in June, my LLMD strongly urged me to take an anti-depressant (over my strenuous objections).

I'd never taken anything like that and honestly didn't want any part of it. "You need all your faculties working together to help you heal," the doc said.

Now I'm glad I followed that suggestion. Even with what I take, I still battle with low feelings sometimes, so I can only imagine what it would be like trying to cope head-on. Give yourself a lot of credit.

I'm honestly impressed with all we (and those who love us) face on a regular basis.

Before my Lyme took a nasty turn, I was walking 3 miles a day and swimming 3/4rs of a mile four or five times a week. My primary lyme symptoms have been physiological, with severe stiffness, swelling, numbness and arthritis.
I struggle now to walk up a flight of stairs or even from one end of the house to the other.

I've been so angry about that I've been basically unmoving for four months -- opting to just do nothing, aside from the energy I expend working.

This week, I went out and bought three pound weights, so I can start trying to get some strength in my upper body again (the 5-pounders were too much for me).

It's not a lot, but it is something. I feel like I'm taking healthy action.

The other thing I do is actually let myself be sick, trying not to have all sorts of internal conflict about it and trying not to push myself.

Probably the most productive thing I do is to find someone to talk with who's worse off than me (it's not hard to find, even on my worst days). The contact is great, and if I can do something to help them, it has an incredible effect on me.

If I can't find anyone, I do something nice -- like walking down the block feeding soon-to-expire parking meters for people. I got a ticket the other week, because I was limping too badly to get to my car before the police. So I'm sensitive to that now.

I'm not sure any of this is helpful...mostly, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone with your feelings.

Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're doing!
[group hug]

Andie

[ 10. October 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Andie333 ]

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've struggled with bouts of lyme related depression too. Lots of detoxing has helped as has following a low carb (no sugar) paleolithic diet with plenty of omega 3s.

Then I started bicillin and while I got better physically I spiraled into a deep dark depression.

I just couldn't find a reason to keep going. I finally gave in and started wellbutrin. It has made all the difference. I now wish I had taken it much sooner as it would've spared me much pain.

I got lucky because sometimes one has to try several antidepressants before finding one that works.

I hope you find something that will help you soon.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henson, well said & good advice.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 10 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gree!
I can totally relate!!!!!!!!!!!! We all get tired of it all. It is such a confusing disease and takes so long to feel better. Just remember it is like the turtle and the hare race. Just keep moving no matter how slow you think you are and you WILL win. Dr.C says that all the time and he also tells us to look in the mirror everyday and tell ourselves we are getting better and we will get better. It really does help.

Also Xango has helped me a tremendous amount with this. I can't believe Lymetutu hasn't already suggeted this!!!!!!!! LOL She is the Xango queen and she is right about it too. It has helped me alot.

Also just as everyone says watch something funny and also hang out with positive people. Also get outside and get some sun. Yes I did say sun as it helps to heal our whole bodies. Move that body no matter how slow.

I have had days when I could barely walk and just a short walk outside did wonders for me mentally and physically.

I wish I could give you a hug and make you laugh but all I can do is try to share what has helped me. Most of all this is the biggest help to me; to go out and find someone else who needs help worse than me and help them. That has helped me the most with depression. And of course prayer has been the biggest help. Ask others to pray for you. That is very very good for when we can't seem to do it they are!

Hope something I have said has helped you.

Blessings
Mule [group hug]

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement