LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do you get kids to take meds?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you get kids to take meds?
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to give my kids (4 and 8) art and garlic. I tried mixing it with applesause and chocolate syrup. The youngest adventure eater would have none of it. I didn't even try the eight year old.

What do I do? I am capable of sitting on them prying their little mouths open and forcing the meds in.

That is my Mom--I don't want to be that kind of Mom. Do I just wait until they are teenagers? I can't... I asked the kids to think of a solution...

Any ideas are appreciated.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you give them some kind of reward system? Use a calendar and when they have taken their 'meds' for a week they get a prize of some sort. My youngest loves that.

Also take your meds when they take theirs, so they are doing what Mommy is doing - sometimes helped when mine were younger. My kids have had to take one kind of med or another since birth and we use alot of distraction techniques (tv worked when they were really little), not sure how to do that if you want them to swallow a pill though.

good luck.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister had the same idea...I guess for every week of taking meds they get a $5 toy?

I'll talk to them tonight.

THANK YOU!

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck mine would get a sticker or something - they would love to get a $5 toy, lol.

Good luck!!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, please don't take offence, but to be honest garlic-artemisunin-applesauce and chocolate syrup sounds absolutely disgusting...

Maybe try other recipes? Garlic and honey and butter on toast isn't too bad.

Taste the art as well. I don't know what kind you have but when I tryed the raw herb it was tingly. Sort of like eating a local anesthesic. Maybe berry ice cream would work better for that? Or lime sherbert? Maybe they can pretend it's sort of like those pop rock candies... numbs your tongue. Real "numby nums"...

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deedee
Member # 4638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deedee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter hates to take her allergy meds 'cause she does not like the taste. I have some of that spray candy (drug stores, walmart) and give her a shot of sweet or sour right after her medicine. This may work because she is pretty tough. I have held her down when needed but that was when she was little. She is now six.

denise

Posts: 31 | From Gaylordsville, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda,

I break out the mini chocolate bars, get a sipcup filled with juice and have a napkin or papertowel at the ready.

The chocolate in any form goes over well with my child.

Ice cream or ice pop would be good for the "art" (I've never tried it) if it has a tingling/numbing effect.

Bottom line is that it is difficult. I wish they could do one that dissolves in water or juice like the antacid tabs do.

Trips to Target to look at promising items for birthday or holiday are good.

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement