LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Levaquin for Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levaquin for Lyme?
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriella7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it for a UTI. Has anyone been on it for Lyme? It has some very nasty side effects but I've only got one more day of it....then I'll restart the Samento Cat's Claw. I read somewhere here where they are related in some way and both together was too much. Any info would be appreciated.

Gabriella [bonk]

Posts: 58 | From Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking Levaquin. About a week so far. I am taking it with Samento as well, and yes, my LLMD moved me to it for Lyme after being on Doxy. Also good for bartonella.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriella7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's good to know as I was having some really weirdo feelings in my head and a ever tightening band around the lower chest area. Maybe I was herxing? How long were you on the doxy?

Gabriella [bonk]

Posts: 58 | From Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin just like all of the floroquinlone antibiotics has no activity against lyme and does not treat it.

Levaquin has good activity against Bartonella and Mycoplasma.

If my LLMD put me on it for lyme I'd look for a new doctor.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

I'm fighting an E.Coli Urinary Tract Infection with Levaquin prescribed by my Neuro. Do you know for a fact that it isn't fighting the lyme and if so how do you know more than his LLMD? Let us keep this in perspective as we are all doing what our doctors tell us to do! [dizzy]

Gabriella [bonk]

diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor -the most knowledgeable lyme doctor in Canada, just gave me a levaquin for bartonella but said it would also work for lyme!

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its good for Lyme, and Bartonella too. [Eek!]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says no, that it will only work against some European strains. He is an expert at treating Bartonella and Mycoplasma infections with Florquinlones.

Is it listed in Dr. B's guidelines as a lyme antibiotic?

If it works for you so be it. I was just commuicating what I know based on my experience.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Hey, I'm willing to pull out whatever cannons might have a chance of working. I've been sick for longer than most here so I have been bumped around a lot. Since none of the doctors have cured it yet not even DR. B... I say full steam ahead and listen to your doctor's advice. After all that is what we pay them for... their expertise.

Who knows what strain we have as birds fly, planes fly, and we even cross the pond to Europe and back. If we are worried about the Asian Flu coming to America it's not out of the realm of possibility that the European strain of Lyme is already here.

Gabriella [bonk]

liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's supposed to be a terrific drug, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects, and they took a long time to wear off. Oh, well.

Luckily, rifampin has been a perfect alternative--but I ramped up on a low dose over four months, and the herx was still pretty wicked.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Yes, the side effects from either Cipro or Levaquin can be nasty and I've got the tennis elbow again from it! I wish I could still play tennis but I can't even walk a straight line or more than 50 feet.

At far as getting another LLMD if he doesn't treat the same as another doctor such as Dr. B [dizzy] they are in short supply. I don't feel well enough to just hop a plane to fly up north to find a LLMD so I have to work with what I've got!

Gabriella [bonk]

troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme, Bart and Myco

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Trout, Thanks for the neat website. I can relate to most of the symptom list except the one about the hangover from alcohol. One glass of wine puts me under the table and renders me unable to walk due to weak pins. [spinning smile]

The list of diagnosis I have received have been in this order polymyalgia rheumatica, fibromyagia, chronic fatique syndrome, asthma, and the biggie multiple sclerosis. When my neuro would not even consider looking for the cause or treating me with a round of antibiotics to see if it would help me, that was the last straw. [cussing]

Hopefully, I have found some answers with my LLMD and help I'm sure will be very slow but hey I have had no effective treatment thus far so I really don't have anything to lose except my life's savings! You can't take it with you anyway so I'll spend the kids inheritance! [lol]

Gabriella [bonk]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement