LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ticks in Christmas trees?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ticks in Christmas trees?
Just Julie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1119

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey y'all, I know this is a bit early, but I'm due to leave on vacation for awhile, and when I get back, it will be almost into the swing of things for Thanksgiving. . . so thought I'd throw this topic out there again, while I'm thinking about it.

I had saved the thread that this was talked about on, but I'm not sure if I could cut/paste the link so it would show up here, especially since this is a new style forum, so I'll just mention that in 2003, and in 2001, this issue was talked about, and a lot of folks either didn't think, or realize that ticks could travel into the house onthe xmas trees, and several people, after they heard this, were switching to artificial trees.

I myself switched to a fake tree 4 xmas's ago, and haven't been happier since.

It was an extreme object of contention between my skeptic husband that first xmas, but the next year wasn't so bad, last year was barely a grumble, and this year I doubt either my husband or either son will say nary a word about it.

Last year, I think Mo or Marnie wrote about their extensive herbal and garlic treatment of a tree they cut on their property to bring into their house, and what precautions they took before they brought the tree in, but that's the last anyone has spoken about this topic.

Maybe it's time again for more anecdotes? More confirmations?

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember those discussions. Due to allergies, we haven't used a real tree for years. The fake ones are pretty awesome anyway. Thanks for bringing this up for those who may not be aware of the dangers.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember that discussion. Also be careful of bringing in your firewood if you have a fireplace or stove... they're on their also!

The little buggers are everywhere!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great time to bring this up. Thanks

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5262

Icon 4 posted      Profile for quic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what its worth:

December 13, 2003 - Cut Christmas tree

December 20, 2003 - Decorate Christmas tree

December 28, 2003 - Indoor cat scratching like she has fleas!

January 5, 2004 - Wife paralyzed from the neck down and in the ICU.

January 25, 2004 - Kids and I take down tree.

January 30, 2004 - Wife finally comes home from rehab.

February 16, 2004 - I wake up @ 2 a.m. with full blown lyme - bullseye on arm.

February 20, 2004 - daughter sick - bullseye on her leg.

March 1, 2004 - son sick - bullseye on his abdomen.

April 2004 - wife finally gets bullseye.

May 2004 - finally get everybody on antibiotics. Went through the usual lyme diagnosis hell.

December 2004 - Cut Christmas tree. We figured you can't just stop living because of this. We watched very carefully. No ticks. I sprayed it with incectacide before bringing it in.

October 2005 - son off antibiotics, the rest of us still on treatment.

December 2005 -

Not sure about this one yet. Sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it just to have a live tree.

- Mike

Posts: 153 | From Watertown, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenny from PA
Member # 8007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenny from PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Julie,
Just curious, I know ticks live through the winter (in the colder regions) but aren't they dormant during that time? And then would this mainly be an issue for the warm weather states? Just curious. But I agree, this issue deserves consideration.
Kenny

Posts: 76 | From South Eastern PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny from PA:
Hi Julie,
Just curious, I know ticks live through the winter (in the colder regions) but aren't they dormant during that time? And then would this mainly be an issue for the warm weather states? Just curious. But I agree, this issue deserves consideration.
Kenny

I work for forestry and the ticks slow down in the winter but not dormant only ones dormant are the ones that fed.
I have had ticks on me just about everyday in the winter. Less of them but still moving.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I barely have the energy or strength to put up a fake tree.

As for me, I am staying as far away from "nature" as possible.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny from PA:
Hi Julie,
Kenny

I think what Treepatrol said is true-and I know our side of the country usually gets trees from Oregon/Washington area, where it's not that cold of winter most times (could be wrong?) but once the trees hit our area in Northern CA, there is usually no hard frosts, no snow, so if the ticks were "dormant" they sure would come to life once they hit balmy California!

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking......we haven't haven't had a real tree in years...Thank the Good Lord.

Trout;)

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn.......I'd still love to have a live Xmas tree. What's best to spray them with?????
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firewood was mentioned, but how about bark dust...don't think a little package with holes in it would stop them ticks.

[ 19. October 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: meg ]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement