LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sleep disturbances anyone? Can you decribe yours?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep disturbances anyone? Can you decribe yours?
Kenny from PA
Member # 8007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenny from PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I have been having what I assume is Lyme related sleep disturbances. They are changing. Initially, with my first major symptom flareup about amonth ago I started waking up every night at 4:00 am in a state of anxiety and I could not get back to sleep in the first place. Now, I cannot get to sleep. I'll lay there for hours and finally fall asleep around 2/3/4. Once I get there my sleep is troubled and I still often wake up again around 6:00 and have to wrestle to get back. But during that sleep I am dead, no dreams no nothing. It is not refreshing at all.

I realize some of this is actual anxiety (possibly caused by Lyme). I'm going to be asking my PCP for something to help today. But I'd like to here some other's experiences. I have read that sleep troubles are a Lyme symptom.

Also, my sleep troubles are not pain related. I have muscle twitches and they do aggravate me, but I do not think they are what's keeping me up.

Anyone feel like sharing their experiences?
Thanks.
Be well...
Kenny

[ 21. October 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Kenny from PA ]

Posts: 76 | From South Eastern PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Ken,

Sleep deprivation is one of the lingering symptoms I have with my battle...

This bug seems to keep us that way..some supplements may help you or get some sleep aids from your doc....

He will probably tell you you need an antianxiety medication...however I have been on many that never worked and some had the oppisite effect on me.

I'm presently taking lexapro and at least I don't hit the high-highs and the low-lows...but I only sleep four hours straight thru on my best nights......usually two hours at a time....
This seems to be caused by interference from the bug in our minds ability to transmit signals.....

That's also why you suffer from anxiety and or depression......
There is a cycle some say caused by PTSD in chronically ill people which perpetuates the illness....

Good luck...............hope you get something that works for you...........zman [dizzy]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenny from PA
Member # 8007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenny from PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Zman. Glad to hear it's not just me! PS: What's PTSD?
Posts: 76 | From South Eastern PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.

I get really strange dreams and no consistent sleep including the REM phase.

z-man, also part of the seasonal changes in symptoms as in the other post by Henson. I've been getting the sweats, chills, tingling, a.m. nausea and dizziness. You too?

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggled with sleep problems most of this year.

Previously I had poor quality sleep so while I was in bed and sleeping I woke tired. This year I would go to sleep and then wake up in the 1-3am range and not get back to sleep. I had some success with benedryl, 25mg, if I took it by 2am so I had 4 hours before I had to get up.

The best solution I have found is 1/2 mg of meletonin when I wake up during the night. I keep it by the bed. I usually go back to sleep shortly afterward and sleep well the rest of the night. I'm starting to sleep thru the night more nights now.

Sometimes nothing works for days! Last month I blamed it on the full moon, but last night I slept half the evening on the couch and all night in my bed. go figure.

Ambien din't work well for me. I woke after a short time, disoriented and couldn't go back to sleep. It works well for my son.

You will find it is trial and error and what works today might not next week.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kenny,

I have experienced exactly what you mentioned - just being completely unable to sleep until the wee hours of the morning, at which point I would almost fall unconscious and wake up what felt like only moments later.

My LLNP says that this is not regular insomnia, but more a direct result of spirochete involvement in the central nervous system causing us to be actually physically unable to fall asleep.

The foot pads helped a bit with this, and though I didn't want to, I am taking Lexapro and Amytrypteline and it's totally working for me, even though I have bizarre dreams.

Over the past year or so I had never been able to fall asleep before 4 AM. Such a bummer. I do have to take 4 of the amytryptelines though for it to work. Luckilly they are non-narcotic.

I hope you can get some good sleep . . . good luck!

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny,
I know this subject only too well; 30+ years of it!

Someone suggested having a sleep study done to see if I have apnea/stopping breathing while sleeping. I did; YES, APNEA I HAVE.

I tried 2 c-pap machines to help me breath. One a friend gave me of her deceased husbands. Other had a HUMIDIFIER which felt like 32 degree temp water being thrown in my face. Later we tested, it was 82 temp water but to me...was bone chilling! I gave up on c-pap for now in spite of 2 separate full facial masks.

This week I sought drs. help again; he put me on lunestar I THINK; can't remember & bottle is in another room. 1st night I got some sleep...felt relaxed; last 3 nights ... NO SLEEP & WALKING HALLWAYS ALL NIGHT LONG.

Wish I could get this bugger solved! I'm so fatigued!

bettyg, Iowa

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kenny,

I've had just about every sleep disturbance you can have.

There doesn't seem to be a cycle or anything like that.

I've had difficulty falling asleep, waking and not returning to sleep, waking multiple times during the night and waking a couple of hours too early.

The really funny thing about it is that I can always sleep extremely well during the day.

I've tried Ambien and Lunesta with negative results.

With the Ambien, I was sleepy all day and then woke up around 5 or 6pm and was wide awake until I took another one.

I took Lunesta twice and the days after I took it had car accidents. I can't say for sure if it was caused by the Lunesta or not but I'm not trying that again. I also had trouble making decisions.

I have used Meletonin and it has worked in the past. I forgot about it and now that I've remembered it, I'll try it again.

The other thing that I've used that works very well is Clonazepam (Clonapin). When I know I have to wake up early I take 1/2 and when I know I can sleep in I take a whole one.

I think the pills are .5mg. I don't take it all the time because it's one of those things where the effectiveness decreases with use. I take it to get over the humps. Also, when I take 1/2, I don't always sleep through the night.

Well...walked away from this post and now I'm back. I don't think I had anything else to say.

Take care,

Corgilla

--------------------
"I'll never forget good old Whatsisname."

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livinlyme
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for livinlyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suffer the same Tony...

Sleep is broken up by intervals of about 3 hours and never feel rested . always feel tired and dragged out like someone was dancing on my head all night..

wake up then fight to go back to sleep and sometimes never win the fight..

both my kids suffer the same thing and school was impossible to get them in .. I finally had to withdraw and home school them then went to cyber schooling cause it was too much of a drain my my health,, cause I hated fighting with the local school system to explain that I, myself, wasn't rested enough in the AM to feel capable of driving them in when they missed the bus..At the time the Neruo thought I was suffering from nocturnal siezures since I would awaken in the moring with my whole body shaking... and be disoriented...

try telling the school board this when they are telling you that it is a law that your children attend school!

I swear health is taking a back seat to life in general in this fast paced world we live in..
Im just so tired of fighting but if I give up they all win... and I loose! my life...

--------------------
"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Posts: 1389 | From who knows, who cares, but somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prconn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prconn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny.

I think we may have been bitten by the same tick. From your previous posts to this one. All of my symptoms are identical.

Have you had a brain MRI ? Mine shows many lesions.
I also have neuropathy in my arms?

Having said all that I am 8 months into treatment and things are improving slowly. I am no longer dizzy and have stopped dropping things.

My fasciculations are nothing like they used to be. They still catch me off guard and can be unerving at times.

My sleep has improved with Klonipin .25mg however some nights it takes .50. I have noticed when I have a headache and take tylenol PM with the .25 Klonopin I get me best sleep. It can last up to 10 hours. When I started treatment I was lucky to get 3-4 hours.

I do still wake anxious and feel as though my left has been turned upside down, At times I fell as though I am in a free fall.

I have also started Physical therapy which is helping with my strength. From Dr. D says it helps to get blood flow into the muscles and helping abx do their job. It is often very painful for days after but seems to be getting better. Talk about PTSD the pain is much like the herxing pain I withstood early in treatment. Body ached from head to toe. I often ask my self why am I doing this to myself, and paying for it.

If I could now just have my brain back I think I might be all set. Hopefully that will come with time as well.

Take care and peace.

Posts: 221 | From S. Florida/Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sleep, what sleep, I don'tneed any stinking sleep!!! LOL. I go through periods of waking a 2 am sharp and then up for 2 to 3 hours - or then not any sleep for 3 days, then crash for 2. this happend when the ruero lyme is kicking in. Exedrin PM helps a times. Flexeril also has helped but when the ruero side kicks in I still wake up cloudly with my nervious system in hyper drive.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept waking up at night and couldn't get back to sleep. Had a sleep test and no Apnea but an inexplicable poor quality of sleep. Ambien and lunesta helped but didnt correct the problem.

According to my LLMD, it was adrenal fatigue, not Lyme or Babs causing this problem. Since starting Cortef, I sleep the entire night.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sleep seems to be directly related to how much vitamin B I am getting. If nothing else works, 50 mg. of Trazodone (Generic for the antidepresant Desyrel) will reliably induce about eight hours of sleep.
David

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Trazodone for a year now. Have slept consistantly better than I have slept for years. At least 8 hours nightly. Yes, sometimes I wake up around 4 a.m., but usually fall asleep again.

I fought going on something like that for quite awhile and I don't want to stay on it, but it's improved quality of life.

Sleep deprivation increases symptoms.

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squeegee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squeegee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny --

I've had sleep disturbances for many years. Sometimes I just can't fall asleep other times, when I can fall asleep, I'll wake up at 2:00 and stay up until about 4:00.

When I first started taking Magnesium supplements I noticed an immediate improvement in sleep. That didn't last, though, and now I'm back to the old pattern.

As noted in other posts, I usually feel tired during the day and am able to sleep then.

I went for years with dreamless sleep which indicated to me that I was never getting any restorative sleep.

I haven't tried anything for sleep but I think I will try Melatonin and see if it helps.

Posts: 105 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenny from PA
Member # 8007

Hi all,
Thanks for your input. I tired Lunesta last night for the first time. I have never used a sleep aid before this past month or so (I never needed one until now). I slept from just before 12 until about 5:30 and was able to drift back until almost 8. I can't really look a this as a long term solution, but it sure felt good to get even a little sleep.
Best regards to all,
Kenny

Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too wake up every night around 3 or 4 am. I recently had hormone testing done and have found that my vortisol levels are abnormally high at all times of the day. I read some about cortisol and how it effects us long term when high. Sleep problems. So my suggestion --get your hormones checked. Some of the lyme symptoms that I have not been able to get rid of may actually be due to the cortisol problems. Now the question is --Are those levels high because of the lyme or because of the stress in my life or even the stress created by knowing y9u have lyme?
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think that the compounds/polymers in the abx and other medications we take cause sleep disturbance, much like if you drink to much or take cough medicine.

You'd get a few hours rest, then wake up or have some odd dreams inbetween.

Don't know what you can do to avoid it. I was mostly kept awake with pain and numbness. Having weird dreams is almost a relief.

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I have (had) disturbed
I would rock and roll like Elvis
I used to have night sweats
really bad-20 years
Felt like I ran 8 miles
every night-
perty much zero sleep

I started treatment for Babs
-Mepron-Biaxin-Doxi
3 days later the sweats
almost completly gone

Now 2 months into treatment

Sweats still gone-
I have slept much better
when I do get to sleep-
but I still have some insomina
but it seams to be getting
better too--

I have also had some dreams-
so I am getting some deep sleep--
-Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allinyourhead
Member # 8066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allinyourhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night sweats, not falling asleep for hours, waking about every half hour, floating feeling, electrical feeling through head, jerks that go clear body, flashing lights when eyes closed, night mares all night, waking and having such severe rushing feelings through body that I cant go back to sleep, waking with anxiety attacks, ect.,ect.,ect. Need I say more. Good luck and good health. Angie
Posts: 19 | From Washington | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not have sleep disturbances despite being sick for years, until this year when I started intensive LD treatment.

Only sleep a couple of hours at a time -- three max. I ALWAYS have to get up to go to the bathroom.

Sometimes I don't even feel the urge but get a thigh cramp on my right side. My LLMD agrees it's "very weird."

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no trouble going to sleep between 9 and 10:00 pm, but wake up anywhere between 1:30 and 4:00 am every day. No matter what I take, I've tried everything.

24/7 I have this weird all over tension/electrical feeling that keeps me from being able to go back to sleep, or relax in general. I think my thyroid is out of whack, I started taking armour thyroid a week ago so hopefully will know in a couple of weeks if it helps my sleeping disorder/tension.

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people sleep better after Questran treatment.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only sleep a few hours at a time also....The stick people[lol],awake me.My muscles twitch so much during sleep it feels like people are poking me with sticks.I also have nitemares
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep? Yeah...I vaguely remember doing that in the early 1990s. Now the 10+ pills I throw down my throat at night sometimes will achieve drowsiness. No sleep.
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement