LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV Primaxin approved - starting tonight!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV Primaxin approved - starting tonight!
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 7 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I got a call from my infusion company a few hours ago and my insurance company has approved the Primaxin for me! I was pretty shocked because the last I knew, the insurance company had no record of the request for approval being made (when we called the insurance company on Friday) but apparently that was because of a neglegent person who was handling my case and then left the company without transferring my case to anyone else!

But, all that isn't important, because I'm getting the antibiotics covered without having to fight for months! I'm just shocked - this is the fastest we've ever had anything approved.

So, they're sending out my supplies this evening and a nurse is supposed to be coming sometime tonight to oversee my first infusion and then I'm off and running with it! So, let the juggling act of infusing every 8 hours begin! [dizzy]

Peace and healing,
Annie

[ 31. October 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: arg82 ]

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad to here you got a good break.

To Primaxin. Cheers!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!!!

Be sure to keep us updated on how this goes as there are no too many others on this med.

If I can get finances worked out hubby will start on this also around the middle of November.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie,

I started this med last wed. night. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. It is quite the chore doing it every 8 hours. I can't even get a full night's sleep and I'm working full-time so I have to infuse at work every day, but I guess you just put one foot in front of the other and be thankful for what you have.

--------------------
jloisu

Posts: 197 | From Seeing Lyme Green in Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your congratulations! I'm still awaiting the arrival of my first shipment of supplies for the Primaxin and my nurse is awaiting a call from me when the shipment does get here so she can come and oversee the first dose. Hopefully it will all get done soon so I'm not just waiting on pins and needles about whether it will all get done today!

jloisu, I'm a bit worried about juggling the 8 hour dosing but I'm tentatively planning on 7am - 3pm - 11pm. I'll have to juggle it every once in a while (mostly the afternoon dose) but that schedule will work the best for me, I think. I'm with you on the sleep thing - I usually sleep at least 9 hours and usually closer to 10 hours a night but I'm sure I'll adjust. That morning dose may be pushed back sometimes but I can probably wake up long enough to hook up and then wake up again to unhook when I'm done. I'm also going to have to infuse at work on the days I work (usually 1-2 days a week) because I work from 1-5. My boss is fine with this, thankfully. I don't know what I'd do without an understanding boss! (I work in the office of a small art gallery so people who come in will see me all hooked up - but I don't care if they don't care!)

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes when I've gotten it under my belt a bit.

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shipment finally got here and so did my nurse and the first dose went relatively alright, except that I'm feeling pretty yucky from it - nausea and worse headache, but that usually happens with me with IV antibiotics. But the thought of doing it three times a day is kind of a lot to handle right now. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks 'til my LLMD appointment and if I have a really rough time handling the three times a day I'll see if he wants to cut it back. I should do a little better with the nausea if I'm better about taking my Zofran before the infusion.

Glad it's finally started, though! And it's so nice that the Primaxin doesn't have to be refrigerated because it's not pre-mixed! My little fridge gets a break from meds and I can fill it up more with drinks. [Smile]

I'll try to keep you all updated on how the Primaxin goes!

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

deja vu
Member # 7656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deja vu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck Annie!! I did Primaxin back in 1999 for 2 years straight (not planned but it was a slow ramp up to the full dose because I was so sick at the time)...it was the med that finally put me over the top after having been ill for four years prior to that (did Rocephin and numerous orals). Unfortunately, I have recently relapsed and trying some oral combos again before going back to IV. I actually had a miracle PICC line in my arm that lasted that long as well. So be patient with it and rest when you can. I was unable to work so the dosing schedule was not as difficult for me other than constantly being tied to a pole (i mixed the Primaxin as I did each dose) and having to set an alarm for the late night dose as I often fell asleep while doing it. So keep the faith and hope everything goes really well for you.
Posts: 14 | From Bergen County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HOPE4290
Member # 7926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HOPE4290     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie,

How do you infuse it? I spoke to the representative at the LDA conference for the ball pump method of infusing. It looked so easy! Have you ever used it? It is preset to infuse at the rate the doctor prescribes. There are two sizes the larger being the size of a tennis ball. It hooks up just like a bag and goes in a little black fanny pack. I am thinking my daughter could go anywhere if we got this, even asleep. The rep said if you do not unhook it then you may get a little blood back in the line but not serious. I have heard of kids who have so much freedom with these balls, and am considering seeing if we should switch.

Posts: 55 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Hope,

Those pumpy balls are awesome. So much better than IV pole.

We used them until our insurance ran out and then found them at least 2x as expensive, so we went back.

At least we are in American and have medicine.

lyme_suz
Unregistered

Hope,

Those pumpy balls are awesome. So much better than IV pole.

We used them until our insurance ran out and then found them at least 2x as expensive, so we went back.

At least we are in America and have medicine.

We insisted and insurance did ok for first 4 wks.

Is very nice for kids, although mine were not moving around all that much.

Good luck,
Susan

arg82
Member # 161

The pumps aren't available for Primaxin because the Primaxin isn't pre-mixed - it has to be mixed just before it's infused. So, being attached to a pole is the only way to infuse it! But, I'm not complaining, I'm just so grateful to be getting the medicine covered at all!

--Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement