LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Radicular neuropathy in legs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Radicular neuropathy in legs?
brodiemac
Member # 7232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brodiemac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would appreciate it if anyone who has radicular neuropathy in their thighs/knees could describe the symptoms / effects?

Brodie

Posts: 72 | From Scotland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If, by radicular neuropathy you mean either burning, sparking or shooting nerves in my legs, my answer would be yes. I actually have that all over my body.
Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattilynn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8065

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pattilynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have neuropathy too. Don't know if it's "radicular" or not but I'm having an EMG this week to find out.

Neuropathy is numbness, tingling, burning, cold , hot or any unusual sensation in limbs. I have it pretty bad.

Patti

Posts: 340 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neurapathy is a common symptom with lyme disease...yes I have it too...

Pattie please don't bother with the EMG...its both painful and worthless as a diagnostic tool with lyme cuz...the neuropathy is'nt caused by the usual illnesses...plus...there's nothing wrong with the essential workings of the nerves...just the signals it's getting from the diseased brain...IMO

I have had to undergo two EMG's for the ducks and belive me they are not fun...results...I have no neuropathy...according to the test...BAH HUMBUG>>.....zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us have...or have had these symptoms.
I referred to my list of lyme terms and came up with this for radiculopathy:

Radiculopathy: a disturbance in the nerve that may cause shooting pain, numbness or tingling in the distribution of a nerve root. Emanates from the spinal cord. "Sciatica" is a good example of radicular pain in that it starts from the spinal cord and shoots down the leg.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I can't believe I've allowed a neurologist to give me two EMGs. They both showed my nerves/muscles were 'normal.'
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattilynn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattilynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Zman. I've had it before. It's horrible. The one I had in 1993 was also "normal".

The only reason I may have it done is to prove it's not my neck causing the problem. The neuro duck said it(the neuropathy) is from my neck problem prior to surgery and I know it's not. I don't think the spinal fusion would cause my scalp and eyeballs to burn either!!. I don't know how to prove the problem isn't from my neck.

I do think I may have lyme in my spinal nerves though as I have burning areas all over my spine.

Patti

Posts: 340 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patti~ Your neuropathy is most likely from lyme. I, too, have the burning scalp pain (that's the pits) and the "paper cut feeling in the eyeballs" pain. Although, the eye pain has eased since February when it was there all the time.

I will be re-evaluated by a neurologist that is aware of lyme (Dr. Latov in NY) in December. I think he'll probably do an EMG. In fact I know he will. That's OK. It helps him know where I'm at. In the end, I hope he'll say...you have no damage that I can see, and your symptoms are consisted with LD. We'll see if that's what happens!

Good luck.....

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattilynn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattilynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the EMG today. It wasn't as bad as I remember from the past. Guess what? It was normal. He said my problems are coming from higher up.Patti
timaca
Member # 6911

Or maybe your problems are coming from deeper in...like from the spirochetes! [Wink]
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have neuropathy - worst in my feet and up my legs - they call it chronic regional pain syndrome (rls) from nerve injury (umm from lyme). I have it pretty much everywhere else but constant in my legs and feet.

I have had to do quite a few EMG's mostly pre-lyme dx but the ones post lyme are now not 'normal' - lots of signals not being received somewhere, you got me. Proves definite peripheral neuropathy and some other stuff I don't understand.

My llmd just gave me a new med called lyrica which is supposed to really help the nerve pain.

good luck.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winsomme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winsomme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the neuro LLMD Dr K in CT uses a skin biopsy test looking for signs of neuropathy.

they take a very small sample of skin, and i guess they take a look at the nerve tissue to look for signs of damage.

Dr K said that this test is more sensitive for signs of neuropathy that EMG.

i had the test but do not have results yet.

thanks
bill

Posts: 127 | From MA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The numbness...burning....tingling but especially the numbness I have spreading everywhere....my face, head, ear, spine, legs and arms. It is very freaky. I wonder.....has anyone experienced this symptom to INCREASE as a response to while on antibiotic therapy?????? Since my numbness is spreadying, I wonder if it is the natural progression of something not controlled by antibiotics, or a response to the antibiotic treatment itself.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turtle,
I had numbness in my right foot, but about a month after starting abx, the numbness spread to my hands and my arm.

At the time of my first 28-day herx, the numbness turned into full-body paralysis. That also happened with the second herx.

I've been on abx now for 5 months. I'm getting very slowly and steadily better. No more total paralysis. I now have numbness as almost a constant in my fingertips, still in my foot and sometimes in my lips (go figure! [Roll Eyes] )

So for me, anyway, the abx directly affected the numbness.

I hope this helps!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Andie, I am glad you do not have anymore total paralysis, I hope it does not get to that point with me, I imagine that would be extremely terrifying!

What did you do? Did you have to go to the hospital? Did it pass quickly? I am curious about what steps you had to take to get through it.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turtle,
The first herx was so scary. I was on the phone with my friend when this feeling like electric charges started in the back of my hands, spread up my arms and down my legs.

She arrived quickly, found me in that same position and unable to move at all.

She called 911, and I was taken to the ER. Since I could talk, I kept saying I had Lyme and wanted no steroids of any kind. The ER doc got somehow patched in with my out-of-state LLMD. I was given something via injection. It didn't seem to work, so it was repeated a few minutes later.

I kept lying there saying to myself: move your right foot! Nothing would happen. Over and over, I did that with various parts of my body.

Finally, that connection between my brain and most of my body was restored. In all, the paralysis lasted almost 5 hours.

And for the next three or four days, I was completely exhausted.

When I talked to my LLMD about it later, we decided they really did nothing in the ER that I couldn't accomplish here. So 28 days later, when this happened again, I got into the wing chair in the livingroom, wrapped myself in a blanket, made sure someone was home with me and let it run its course. This time, there were apparently a few accompanying siezures.

Again, it lasted almost 5 hours. And then I could move again. The third month, my hands, feet and face started getting numb. Again, wing chair, blanket. This time, it didn't spread anywhere else, but I was so unbelievably cold. It was a summer day, 97-degrees. I was ultimately wrapped in two blankets and shaking like crazy.

And for the third time, after 5 hours, everything began to calm down.

As I said, I haven't experienced anything remotely that severe since (thank God!). Honestly, Turtle, the first time-- that was as scared as I've ever been. I posted my experiences on Lymenet, bec. I hadn't ever read anything like it. I got about 6 or 7 replies, many with variations of what happened to me.

I honestly don't think it's common, though. My LLMD said this was the most severe case she had ever heard about.

Up til then, most of my symptoms were physiological. This took me into neuro land!

[dizzy]
Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between radicular and peripheral neuropathy, and is there a difference in treatment?

I am on a low dose of Neurontin, Nortryptiline and pain meds, and until this week I had some quality of life. All of a sudden, I have burning throughout my body, especially on the soles of my feet. I hadn't had the burning before, only the pain, which had been handled well by the meds regimen.

The pain mgt. dr. has recommended I try Cymbalta in the near future to reduce the pain meds, but I would need to get off the Nortryptiline first as I am sensitive to too many meds at a time.

I am scared now and don't know whether to call the LLMD, the neurologist, internist, or pain mgt. dr.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from wisegeek online:

Neuropathy describes a condition in which a person suffers from peripheral nerve damage often associated with an underlying disease. Though not a disease itself, neuropathy is diagnosed in many people for whom no pre-existing cause can be determined. While less than 3% of the general population is affected, eventually 60% of diabetics will develop some degree of nerve damage.

The symptoms of neuropathy are usually the only method of diagnosis. One might suffer sensations similar to decreased circulation in the extremities, such as numbness, ranging from mild to severe, and pins and needles. Limbs feel alternately burning hot and icy cold, accompanied by sharp or dull pain and muscle fatigue. These feelings are associated with reduced fine motor coordination, possibly leading to paralysis at the worst extreme.

Our nerves are sensitive paths along which our body relays electrical information between our senses and our brain. One system of nerves branch out from our spinal cord to sense things like movement, pain, tactile sensation, temperature, etc. When damaged, these functions become scrambled or have reduced sensitivity. Something goes wrong in some part of the nerve. Perhaps it's in the myelin, the membranous lining of nerve cells in which axons float. Or it could be in the axons, which are connectors responsible for transferring the electrical impulses from one cellular body to the next. Even the nerve cells can get injured.

While it's easy to diagnose neuropathy based on pain, it's difficult to treat because it is so commonly idiopathic, which means the doctor doesn't know why the patient has developed peripheral nerve damage. However, the causes we understand most are malnutrition, repetitive motion resulting in carpal tunnel syndrome, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, exposure to toxins or poisons, and inherited genetic disorders.

When a doctor can identify one of these causes, she can treat the pain at the source, by correcting malnutrition or treating diabetes for example. Unfortunately, if the neuropathy is idiopathic, the only available treatment is ongoing, temporary pain management, usually with pharmaceuticals. Researchers are still pursuing many paths of study to better understand the process that leads to such widespread neuropathy.

Written by S. Mithra
copyright � 2005 wiseGEEK

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for the great information. Have also suffered from this disabling horrific painful symptoms for a very long time.

Lymesux, I think you said you were trying Lyrica for the pain. My doc. mentioned it to me. Just wondering if it is helping. Also can it help with seizures like the neurontin?

any in put would be great.

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement