LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lymes + doxycycline= how long to feel better

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lymes + doxycycline= how long to feel better
moto-xJerry
Member # 8278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moto-xJerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how long after you start on doxycycline till you feel better????????
Posts: 6 | From oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no easy answer to this. How long you have been sick is a big factor. If you give us more of your history with Lyme, we can give you a better answer.

Are you seeing a llmd (lyme lierate medical doctor)?

If no,t you need to get to one ASAP, especially if this is arecent infection.
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moto-xJerry
Member # 8278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moto-xJerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not easy for me to say.first two tests positive,
not back with the results on western blot.
first doctors test positive, ordered a western blot he sent me to a RA doctor, because i had RA as a kid, She said i didnt have lymes,Its RA and asked me to get MRIs e-rays etc.went to a third doctor she ( she happen to be from Conn )another test showed positive, she stsrted me on doxycyline 100mg 2 times a day.. last monday By wed and thrusday i was hurting more.. from my hips to my toes very sore on bottoms of feet..

Posts: 6 | From oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimMet
Member # 7787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimMet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 100mg doxy bid for about 3 weeks and didn't feel any better. In fact, I got worse. Within a couple of days of increasing the dosage to 200mg bid, I felt much better.

Dr. Burrascano at www.ilads.org says doxy cannot penetrate the blood/brain barrier in the usual dosage (what you're taking) and also isn't bactericidal in low doses. You might read his article and show it to your MD.

You must eat a full meal when you take the doxy to avoid nausea and take plenty of acidophilus tablets to avoid yeast overgrowth.

Good luck!

Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds lke you need to find an LLMD 100mg 2 x a day is a low dose of doxy. An LLMD would have you on twice the dose.

Your increase in symptoms sound like a herx..... Please post on Seeking a doctor

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

and get to a real LLMD ASAP. It really sounds like you need one.

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moto-xJerry
Member # 8278

Thanks again, for every ones input.
Will get a LLMD doctor asap..

moto-xJerry
Member # 8278

Thanks again lymenet.org

Now I must ask whats the best Lab to use on the west coast.

And Whats up with the cure you can buy in any grocery store????? 2 Simple items????

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 simple items - Salt and Vitamin C
Cure - not likely....

Lyme and Doxy - I would aruge that ABX alone will NEVER get you well. In fact, I am personally concerned that though I feel better, I've really just pushed alot of the Lyme to the cyst form. So I am fine until I stop the ABX, but then likely will relapse.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and Welcome!

Its hard to give you an answer...need more information on your case. How long have you been infected? What is the dose of your Docy? etc. The short answer is that you are to treat until you are symptom free for 2 months and then treat for 2 months beyond that and follow with maintenance dosing.

Make sure your Docycycline dose is correct 400-600 mg/day. Please be sure to read the treatment guidelines and that you are bing cared for by a doctor who is Lyme Literate.

treatment guidelines...here
http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robi:
sounds lke you need to find an LLMD 100mg 2 x a day is a low dose of doxy. An LLMD would have you on twice the dose.

Your increase in symptoms sound like a herx..... Please post on Seeking a doctor

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

and get to a real LLMD ASAP. It really sounds like you need one.

robi

Okay, I'm confused. If the dosage was too low, then there wouldn't be a herx, right? The herx only happens when the antibiotics are working.

Hubby had a herx starting last week, I didn't even realize what it was at first. I thought it was a sunburn. Silly me. I kept nagging him about avoiding the sun, etc. He kept telling me he hadn't been in the sun. A big part of his face turned bright red at first, then it changed to a prickly rash looking thing for a few days. He was also complaining of his forearm muscles feeling tense, and scratching his shins like crazy. The redness on his face never faded all week long. He also started complaining about "brain pressure" again.

I finally realized this was probably a herx, and he stopped the antibiotics. After just two days, he looks so much better...and says the "pressure" is easing.

Heck, I didn't know what a Herx was. First time he's had one after being on Doxy for approx 6 1/2 weeks.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi moto-x

I raced motorcycles many years-
if I ever get well I am
going to do it again--

200mg of doxi is called the
--Standard Dose-- this amount
of doxi will kill many types
of bactira--Not Lyme--

The longer you have been sick
the longer it takes to get better--

Low dose will kill Some of the Lyme
bactira so you can have a herx-

500 to 600mg a day is Much
Much more effective-Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement