LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Kefir - Probiotic Extrordinaire / Immune Support

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kefir - Probiotic Extrordinaire / Immune Support
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd share this, we have been making and drinking Kefir (from REAL grains, not the commerical kind) ..
and of all the probiotics we have used, this -
in our experience - has had a very notable, beneficial effect.. (and additional nutritional benefits as well.)

It is easy and inexpensive to make, tho there are particulars to it,

and you need to get the grains and since grains produce to larger quantities over time, folks are on lists where they will send you their grains just for the cost of postage.

Otherwise, some companies sell Kefir starting kits..but after reading allot I prefer real grains from a mother culture.

Cheers,

Mo

What is Kefir?

(source, a very detailed site on Kefir and the making of:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#morelinks )

Kefir is a refreshing cultured-milk beverage, which originated many centuries ago, in the Northern Caucasus Mountains. The word kefir is derived from the Turkish word keif, which loosely translates to good feeling or feeling good. This is for the sense of well-being one enjoys by drinking the culture-product [1].

Kefir has a uniform creamy consistency, a slightly sour refreshing taste, with a mild aroma resembling fresh yeast [or beer like]. Kefir also has a slightest hint of natural effervescent zesty tang. There are an assortment of approx. 40 aromatic compounds, which contribute to the unique flavour and distinctive pleasant aroma of kefir. To round this all off, kefir may contain between 0.08% to 2% alcohol. However, between .08 to .5% alcohol are realistic figures for 24 hour brewed kefir-- [yep!... wow!].

Traditional authentic kefir can only be prepared by culturing fresh milk with Kefir grains. Kefir grains are not to be mistaken for cereal grains this is to say that the grain part of the name is a misnomer. Kefir grains, or kefir granules if you wish, are in fact a natural-starter or natural-mother-culture. The grain's bio-structure [which I refer to as a bio-matrix], is created through the efforts of a symbiotic relationship, shared between a vast mixture of specific friendly Lactic acid bacteria [LAB] and yeasts. The grains are a soft, gelatinous white biological mass [biomass], comprised of protein, lipids [fats] and a soluble-polysaccharide Kefiran complex. The microbes and yeasts not only create the bio-matrix structure, they are harboured by the very structure that they create; abiding either on the surface [interior and exterior], or encapsulated within the bio-matrix itself <[-The abode of the friendly microbe-]>.

Today, traditional authentic kefir [real kefir] is easily prepared at home. Raw unpasteurised or pasteurised, full-cream, low fat or non-fat fresh milk is poured into a clean suitable container with the addition of kefir grains. The content is left to stand at room temperature for approx. 24 hours. The cultured-milk is strained in order to separate and retrieve the kefir grains from the liquid-kefir. The grains are added to more fresh milk, and the process is simply repeated. This simple process can be performed on an indefinite basis... for kefir grains are forever. The strained liquid-kefir may either be consumed fresh, refrigerated for later use, or ripened at room temperature over a period of days before consuming. The ripening process is useful for individuals who wish to reduce lactose in their kefir [ for details explaining the simple procedure, please follow this link situated on a separate Web Page].

As active kefir grains are continually cultured in fresh milk to prepare kefir, the grains increase in volume [biomass increase]. To prevent overcrowding, and to maintain a reasonable constant grain-to-milk ratio it becomes essential to remove a portion of kefir grains. Apart from the more obvious advantage in preventing overcrowded, the other advantage is to produce a kefir with a reasonable constant character and consistency on an ongoing basis. Traditionally, excess kefir grains were either eaten [which I highly recommend], dehydrated and stored as a back-up source, shared among family members or traded among the tribes-people of Caucasus, in exchange for basic essentials.

Except for refrigeration, the culture-art of kefir has been practices as explained above, over many centuries by the people of the Northern Caucasus Mountains

From another site:

http://coproweb.free.fr/kefiranglais.htm

Kefir's Health Benefits

The cultures' chemical changes make the milk much easier to digest, allowing the body to absorb more of the naturally present nutrients. The transformation of lactose to lactic acid allows people, even t hose with lactose intolerance, to digest kefir and get its full benefits.Kefir is high in calcium, amino acids, B-vitamins and folic acid. Kefir can play a vital role in the development of a healthy digestive tract in babies, as it protects against negative effects of radiation and helps improve the immune system. Kefir's friendly cultures also produce specific antibiotic substances which can control undesirable microorganisms and act as anti-carcinogenic factors. Kefir also helps to enhance bowel function and control candida - a condition where there is an excessive growth of yeast cells. In reference to Candida, Dr. Orla-Jenson, a noted Danish bacteriologist specializing in dairy research states that "Kefir digests yeast cells and has a beneficial effect on the intestinal flora".

An international Nobel prize winning researcher, Elie Metchnikoff (1908) found that kefir activates the flow of saliva, most likely due to its lactic acid content and its slight amount of carbonation. Kefir stimulates peristalsis and digestive juices in the intestinal tract. For these reasons it is recommended as a postoperative food since most abdominal operations cause the bowels to stop contracting and pushing food along (peristalsis).

Kefir's unique properties include its use as a remedy for digestive troubles because of its very low curd tension, meaning that the curd breaks up very easily into extremely small particles. The curd of yogurt, on the other hand, holds together or breaks up into lumps. The small size of the kefir curd facilitates digestion by presenting a large surface for digestion agents to work on. In addition, kefir possesses mild laxative properties. It is also recommended to restore the intestinal flora of people who are recovering from a serious illness or being treated with antibiotics.

Kefir is predigested due to the fermentation process rendering itself tolerable to those persons who can not tolerate dairy products.

The story of kefir is littered with distinction: a 2,000 year history, a mention by Marco Polo, and, in the 1980s, a symbolic gift exchanged between superpowers at the end of the cold war.

Kefir is a fermented milk product containing live probiotic organisms and rich in nutrients required by the body: proteins, minerals and vitamins. It is produced by adding a fermented grain culture to milk.

Produced in ancient times by nomadic shepherds in the Balkans, kefir was little known in the West for 1,900 years, despite being mentioned by Marco Polo. Then, by order of the Russian Czar, it was brought to Russia at the beginning of the twentieth century and became popular in many parts of Europe.

Kefir is a cultured, creamy product with amazing health attributes. Its tart and refreshing flavor is similar to a drinking-style yogurt, but it contains beneficial yeast as well as friendly 'probiotic' bacteria found in yogurt. The naturally occurring bacteria and yeast in kefir combine symbiotically to give superior health benefits when consumed regularly. It is loaded with valuable vitamins and minerals, it contains easily digestible complete proteins, and it boasts natural antibiotic properties - a natural antibiotic made with milk!

For the lactose intolerant, kefir's abundance of beneficial yeast and bacteria provide lactase, an enzyme which consumes most of the lactose left after the culturing process.

Kefir can be made from any type of milk, cow, goat or sheep, coconut, rice or soy. Although it is slightly mucous forming, the mucous has a "clean" quality to it that creates ideal conditions in the digestive tract for the colonization of friendly bacteria.

Kefir is made from gelatinous white or yellow particles called "grains." This makes kefir unique, as no other milk culture forms grains. These grains contain the bacteria/yeast mixture clumped together with casein (milk proteins) and complex sugars. They look like pieces of coral or small clumps of cauliflower and range from the size of a grain of wheat to that of a hazelnut. Some of the grains have been known to grow in large flat sheets that can be big enough to cover your hand!. The grains ferment the milk, incorporating their friendly organisms to create the cultured product. The grains are then removed with a strainer before consumption of the kefir and added to a new batch of milk.

In addition to beneficial bacteria and yeast, kefir contains minerals and essential amino acids that help the body with healing and maintenance functions. The complete proteins in kefir are partially digested and therefore more easily utilized by the body. Tryptophan, one of the essential amino acids abundant in kefir, is well known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system. Because kefir also offers an abundance of calcium and magnesium, which are also important minerals for a healthy nervous system, kefir in the diet can have a particularly profound calming effect on the nerves. Kefir's ample supply of phosphorus, the second most abundant mineral in our bodies, helps utilize carbohydrates, fats, and proteins for cell growth, maintenance and energy.

Kefir is rich in Vitamin B12, B1, and Vitamin K. It is an excellent source of biotin, a B Vitamin which aids the body's assimilation of other B Vitamins, such as folic acid, pantothenic acid, and B12. The numerous benefits of maintaining adequate B vitamin intake range from regulation of the kidneys, liver and nervous system to helping relieve skin disorders, boost energy and promote longevity.

The benefits of consuming kefir regularly in the diet are numerous. Easily digested, it cleanses the intestines, provides beneficial bacteria and yeast, vitamins and minerals, and complete proteins. Because kefir is such a balanced and nourishing food, it contributes to a healthy immune system and has been used to help patients suffering from AIDS , chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, and cancer. Its tranquilizing effect on the nervous system has benefited many who suffer from sleep disorders, depression, and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

The regular use of kefir can help relieve all intestinal disorders, promote bowel movement, reduce flatulence and create a healthier digestive system. In addition, its cleansing effect on the whole body helps to establish a balanced inner ecosystem for optimum health and longevity.

Kefir can also help eliminate unhealthy food cravings by making the body more nourished and balanced. Its excellent nutritional content offers healing and health-maintenance benefits to people in every type of condition.

What's found in REAL Kefir grains:

LACTOBACILLI
Lb. acidophilus
Lb. brevis
Lb. casei
Lb. casei subsp. rhamnosus
Lb. casei subsp. pseudoplantarum
Lb. paracasei subsp. paracasei
Lb. cellobiosus
Lb. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus
Lb. delbrueckii subsp. lactis
Lb. fructivorans
Lb. helveticus subsp. lactis
Lb. hilgardii
Lb. kefiri
Lb. kefiranofaciens
Lb. kefirgranum sp. nov*
Lb. parakefir sp. nov*
Lb. lactis
Lb. plantarum

STREPTOCOCCI/LACTOCOCCI
Lactococci lactis subsp. lactis
Lc. lactis var. diacetylactis
Lc. lactis subsp. cremoris
Streptococci salivarius subsp. thermophilus
Strep. lactis
Enterococcus durans
Leuconostoc cremoris
Leuc. mesenteroides

YEASTS
Candida kefir
C. pseudotropicalis
C. rancens
C. tenuis
Kluyveromyces lactis
Kluyveromyces marxianus var. marxianus
K. bulgaricus
K. fragilis / marxianus
Saccharomyces subsp. Torulopsis holmii
Saccharomyces lactis
Sacc. carlsbergensis
Sacc. unisporus
Debaryomyces hansenii**
Zygosaccharomyces rouxii**

ACETOBACTER
Acetobacter aceti
A. rasens

Units Count of Microbes in Gram Stained Kefir Grains

Bacilli [single cells, pair, chains]
Streptococci [pair, chains]
Yeast [single cells]
The Means Range
Bacilli 66, 62-69%
Streptococci 16, 11- 12%
Yeast 18, 16- 20% [10]

Evolution cycle [sequence] among the genus group of organisms of Kefir during the culture cycle
Lactococci > Lactobacilli > Leuconostoc > Yeast > Acetobacter

Reference:

Encyclopaedia of Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition [1993] [pp. 1804-1808] Edited by R. Macrae, R.K. Robinson, M.J. Sadler
* International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 44 (3) 435-439 [1994]
** T. Loretana, J.F Mosterta and B.C. Viljoen [2003] Microbial flora associated with South African household kefir. S. Afr. J. Sci. Vol. 99 No. 1/2

List of Bacterial Names with Standing in Nomenclature - Genus Lactobacillus

END NOTES : Candida albicans has never been isolated from kefir grains, for conditions make it impossible for this particular opportunistic yeast to flourish. Certain yeasts of kefir include Candida as part of the nomenclature [name]. These yeasts are not opportunistic yeasts such is the case with C. albicans, but instead are classified as Generally Regarded As Safe [GRAS]. Such yeasts may in fact have the potential to keep C. albicans in check in the host.

[ 20. November 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Mo ]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing this, Mo. I will try it as soon as the turkeying is done!

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Smokes, that's a first!

For years it's been me taking tips from you..

[Cool] Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kefir good. Try raw goat milk, and let it go 30-40 hours. Mmmmm . . .
Posts: 45 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mo! I've been playing around with making kefir. This site gave me some great ideas. [lick]

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With lyme...there is a major Calcium problem. Caution.

Look also at "Green Vibrance" a whole food supp. Comes in powder form. Mix with liquid (pineapple juice hides the taste). Must be kept in freezer after opening.

Contains a LOT of probiotics and a ton of good nutrients.

Might be another good way to avoid all the "individual" costly supps.

An expensive ($60), but great probiotic is Essential Formulas which also contains not only the beneficial bacteria, but nutrients to boot...to "feed" the "good guys" right away. Loading doses for my son really worked. Loading doses = 5 capsules, 2x/day for 6 days with a full glass of water one hour before meals.

Healing starts in the gut...for sure!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse my ignorance, but what is fresh milk?

We live in a rural area, where would I ask?

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fresh milk means raw, i.e., unpasteurized. It also means milk that hasn't been shipped across several counties to sit in a stockroom fridge before being brought ought to rest in the cooler under the harsh fluorescent lights.

Fresh milk is awesome, just make sure you're getting it from a reliable source, preferably grass-fed, pasture cows, goats, or sheep.

Check our http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html for some local suppliers. Failing this, you can order from Organic Pastures in CA, but be warned - shipping is very expensive.

Posts: 45 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebites
Member # 6709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie - thanks for the tips. I had a calcium stone when I was 20 with complications of septicemia, ARDS, DIC and coma... one little apple-seed sized stone and I had last rights performed, was in the hospital for two months vacillating between life and death. Luckily I woke up on the LIFE side.

Mo - thanks! Had no idea that Kefir came from grains. I've tried it here and there but don't like to consume dairy...

If I buy the grains and use your recipe with soy milk will the end result be as beneficial as with animal milk? Really prefer soy milk but would be willing to switch it out for dairy milk if I were convinced it was a more effective treatment for Lyme.

Thanks for the thumbs up on goat's milk, Big B. There is an Amish community close by and I know I could get the goat's milk and maybe even the grains there. If I decide to "go there" that is.

Can anyone help me get off the dairy/no dairy fence? Right now I only consume plain yogurt. Have been a veggie (with the usual animal and environmental rights ethics that go along with that) for 23 years and in my mind, "dairy bad". Of course, 'raw' dairy is another story but I still am not convinced.

Thanks.

Posts: 63 | From Deer Grove, Illinois, United States | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

Lymebites -

Ah,I feel for you. I, too, was once in the land of tofu and avocados.

(In fact, don't tell anyone, but before people called me Big B, they called me Veggie Boy! Shhh!)

Anyway, I was vegetarian for 15 months in high school for my IBS, based on my chiro/nutritionist recommendations and a few books I'd read.

At that point in my life, I was too eager to form a conclusion based on little or no evidence, and I spent most of that time trying to support my conclusion with the observations I found - a bad way to go about things.

It literally took a morning of (at the age of 17) screaming and crying like a child and seeing the doctor and fasting for a day since the pain was so bad for me to wake up and smell the meat. Actually, I started just with fish and cut back big time on fruits and grains (people with Lyme and/or candida really shouldn't eat these), and got a little better.

After graduation I tried eating a grain-less, fruit-less diet consisting of grass-fed red meat, free-range eggs, raw goat kefir, cultured and cooked veggies, raw butter, etc., and I gained weight, felt much better, and people started calling me the much more masculnie "Big B." To this day I keep up the regimen I've noted above and it really works, but if I don't have at least 6 eggs and 1/2 pound of red meat a day, I feel noticeably worse.

Of course, everyone's different and I'm sure my needs as a 21-yr-old active male are going to be on one side of the spectrum, but a lot of well-written books by authors such as Dr. Mercola, Jordan Rubin, Dr. Weston A. Price, and Sally Fallon, to name a few, show how important consumption of healthy animal products is, regardless of your metabolic type.

But especially with the Lyme, your body needs the saturated fats to dump the biliary sludge, the bioavailable protein and essential fatty acids to rebuild damaged cells, and the carbs in most "vegetarian foods" are only gonna feed the Bb and set you up for leaky gut (I speak from experience).

Sorry for the long post, but I've lived this, and I can keenly feel the mistakes I've made. I know we went veg for different reasons, but check out http://www.mercola.com/2002/feb/2/vegetarian.htm
and
http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtvegetarianism.html.

They address some of the concerns raised over meat consumption (many of which are valid concerns with regard to commercial meat).

Good luck.

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 eggs a day...you are craving what you *need*.

Look closely at all of the nutrients in eggs.

B12 issues as well.

I'm not in complete agreement with the "carbs in a veg. diet contributing to feeding Bb". Bb wants our choline. Our brain cells and our WBCs need glycogen. Complex carbs are okay...and are needed. Avoid insulin spikes.

Mother Nature's balance...minerals/natural sugar + vitamins (most are acidic) -> hydrogen.

And we need a LOT of hydrogen to be made constantly.

Normally to make a lot of hydrogen we need a LOT of acids (fats, proteins) reacting with a little mineral or glycogen to produce hydrogen. Lots of negative charges reacting with a little positive charge.

Too many neg. charges can...in time...deplete the pos. charges...and trouble happens. Too acidic = cancer.

The "ultimate" example:

After being exposed to radiation (the Chernobyl accident), the kids were given spirulina.

When hit by lightning (another extreme neg. charge)...docs quickly give the electrolytes...all of them...the minerals via IV doses.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebites
Member # 6709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your story Big B - your secret is safe with me... [lol]

I do eat some fish. Could increase consumption there since I like it and maybe I'll hard boil some eggs and see how I feel.

And thanks for the info too Marnie. You've motivated me to pull out my old A&P notes to brush up on glycolysis, ATP and more.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Posts: 63 | From Deer Grove, Illinois, United States | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mo for pointing out that there is a difference between Real Kefir grains and commercial grains.

Can someone answer what is the difference? and where would I buy the real ones?

I have to learn to do this. Its necessary at this point.

My kids need to get the majority of their "probiotics" through food/nutrition. I can't hope they get it from capsules they gag on most of the time.

Thanks
elle

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Elle..

First, here is the best wesite for info on kefir..

it explains all about the grains and anything else you could possibly think of regarding real kefir:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

On here, are ideas as to where to get some grains..

There is a yahoo mailing (called REAL kefir making - "RKM") list that has folks that might send you a couple of Tbsps of their extras to get you started, just for the cost of postage.
It's kind of a community service, if you will.. [Smile]

Anyone making kefir with real grains will have extra as they 'grow', make babies..
I have extra from time to time.

There are also a couple of folks around who will sell them for a few bucks and throw in instruction booklets..

I have tried to collect a few kinds of grains from various sources and put them together (tho not necessary, I was curious and we drink allot of this as a family)..
so got two batches through the mail, and one from someone on ebay who has a goatsmilk business (she makes soaps and creams I like to use and I saw she had grains)..and her grains are quite good.

The instructions, tho (and a hundred other things) are right there on Dom's site and I always reference it, and also the yahoo list is good for real time questions...

so you don't have to pay for live grains...and if
you do, it shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

Once you have them (as you will read on the site) if well cared for, they should last a lifetime. (tho you want to freeze some back ups in case, which you will read about there, too)

Mo

elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. . . Thank you . . .

Great resources and information!

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

To Mo and other Kefir experts,

we have been making the Kefir and it is absolutely lovely. A friend gave me the culture - looks like small cauliflower rosettes which she brought from overseas safely guarding them and rinsing them in transit at the airports -- what a story!

Is this form of culture referred to as "grains"?

Or are the grain the dried almost powder-like substance that is sold in some good healthfood stores?

Whatever these little cauliflowers are called, our kefir is ready in 12-16 hours, started with simply cold raw goatmilk. Still wondering about the safety of "raw", and do you have good results with pasteurized milk which I am sure has lost some of its life during that process.

Mo, I am sure you, the resident researcher, have checked that out.

Would like to hear from anyone, please.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Hey GiGi --

Yes, those sound like the real grains -

like smooth, plump cauliflower florets. I find when they get much larger than a quarter, they make my kefir separate too soon and too lumpy for my taste... so I always remove the big ones.

I like less than 1/4 cup of the smaller grains to about 3 1/2 cups of milk. That's a personal preference, and also depends on temperature, environment, ect..

My understanding from the 'experts' is that raw is the ultimate for the real deal as far as nutrient content, but pasturized is just fine too.

Dom's site I beleive has more detailed comparisons. I follow his advise through and through -
including not rinsing the grains, I just stir the kefir well in the culturing jar right before I strain it, and then slosh the grains around in the new milk just after I fill the culturing jars before I let it set for a day.

I just don't have access to enough raw to keep the family in kefir, my oldest must drink a quart a day [Smile] -
so we use organic pasturized cow's milk - has to be organic, tho --
and my grains have been happy and healthy and producing great, effervescent kefir for many months now.

[lick]

Mo

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie wrote:
6 eggs a day...you are craving what you *need*.

Oddly enough, one often craves what they are allergic to. Eggs are a big allergen for some people. Look into delayed food allergies if you think this might be a problem.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

I used to crave sugar and grains, but eating such things made me feel worse. Always.

I don't "crave" eggs (or steak), but I know that I can help elevate my hormone levels by eating foods rich in cholesterol, and this seems to be a big reason they work.

Whatever the reason, I'm gaining muscle mass, my IBS, CFS, and FMS are disappearing and after getting on Cholestyramine for my mold illness/biotoxin recirculation even my MCS has gotten way better. Allergies don't seem to be a big problem - I just avoid foods that make me sick.

Results. That's what I crave. And need. And that's what I'm finally getting.

Big B
Member # 8229

By the way, Marnie...

Six months into detox, and I only eat 3 eggs a day now [Smile]

GiGi
Member # 259

Thank you, Mo. I am sure I will learn as I keep making it and will keep your tips in mind. Am anxious to try to kefir over our first crop of new potatoes when they are ready. That's what the country folk in Europe do after the harvest on a hot summer day.

Take care.

GiGi
Member # 259

To Mo or anyone that is experienced with Kefir:

Without going over the site you posted any longer, I could not find what to do with the Grains when one takes a break in making Kefir; how to keep it alive when away for a few days, etc. Don't want to lose these healthy babies!

At room temperature in what medium? Fridge too cold. Mo mentioned freezing somewhere for backups?

Can anyone help me out on this?

Take care.

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gigi.

You can leave em in the fridge, in their usual portion of milk, for up to a week. Some people like that brewing method if they don't use a lot. Produces a creamier textured kefir, too.

OR,

Put them in a sturdy ziplock baggie, barely cover them with milk, squeeze out as much air as possible outta the baggie, and toss em in the freezer.

It's good to have some frozen this way for back-up, in case some well-meaning visitor decides to throw out the 'bad milk you accidentally left on the counter.' (I'm still convinced my mother is going to do this. :-)

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Mo, just want to thank you for posting this superb site for Kefir. I am trying many of them and all in all it is a great experience. A number in the Klinghardt gang are now growing the "cauliflower bambinos"! I now also get calls on how to kefir instead of 'what do I do with my root canal'!

I grew new ones just from the little grainy settling on the side of my container. In this 90'some degree heat, it's fermented in just 4-6 hours. I am certain that this is how Kefir came into being umteen years ago in the hotter regions of the Caucasus without refrigerators.

Thanks for sharing all!
Take care.

GiGi
Member # 259

Michelle, and a thank you to you. The freezing works wonderful. The next thing I will try is dehydrating a few, so that I can take the "cauliflower bambinos" with me with me when traveling and bringing a gift. It really is a precious gift and I treat it with respect every day.

Thank you.

Take care.

Mo
Member # 2863

Kewl ..

I was wondering if Doc K would find these little gems interesting [Smile]

You can store back-ups up to two months in an airtight container, after rinsing the grains, patting them dry, and covering them with dry milk.

I do it every two months and label the container, to be safe should something happen to my guys. Tho, I have to say nothing has happened in almost a year, you never know if something may go wrong and don't want to be without them.

In the fridge, they can sit in milk up to a week, at which point they can be easily
"re-activated" by being put out to culture at room temp (strain and change the milk first, of course)..
or you can strain and put new milk in and keep them somewhat inactive in the fridge for another week after that.

Dom's site has allot of interesting recipes as well as all the great info and history -- but I haven't gotten fancy yet. My son drinks too much of it to have extra for cheese making. He takes the grains with him wherever he stays away overnight, too.

In addition to other things, he sleeps really well since taking kefir.

I use some on my skin at night and it is wonderful.

-------------------------------------------------

Always create a backup source of kefir grains!

It's always a good idea to have back up, correct ? This is also true with kefir grains, because you never know when you'll need them. One day, you may end up feeling glad that you did create a back up, or regret that you never did!

Freezing Kefir Grains

One method for storing kefir grains for periods of up to 2 months, is by freezing the grains. To freeze kefir grains effectively, wash the grains with pre-boiled then COOLED water, pat them dry between pre-ironed cooled white towel to remove excess moisture. Place the grains in a jar or in a plastic bag, with the addition of dry milk powder [do not add fresh milk or other water based liquids].

Add enough dry milk powder [DMP] to completely cover the grains, seal the jar or the bag and then freeze. DMP is added as a protective agent. Although I've found that kefir grains are viable for up to one year when using this method, this length of time may completely remove the yeast component found in healthy kefir grains [when frozen for longer than 2 months, but not specifically].

Because of this potential, freezing kefir grains as explained above, is best performed for a period of no longer than 2 months. If DMP is omitted with the kefir grains, then a period of no longer than 1 month is recommended. Otherwise the yeast component of kefir grains may become damaged, especially so if thawed and frozen due to poor freezing conditions or poor freezer mechanism of the refrigerator or freezer.

Drying Kefir Grains

Kefir grains may be dehydrated for long term storage of up to 12 to 18 months.

To dehydrate fresh kefir grains, rinse the grains with pre-boiled COOLED water. To remove excess moisture, pat-dry the grains between a pre-ironed cooled white terry towel. Place the grains in between two sheets of pre-ironed white cotton or linen cloth.

Leave to dry in a well ventilated warm spot, until the grains become quite firm and yellow in colour. Depending on temperature, humidity and size of the grains, drying may take between two to five days for all the grains to completely dehydrate. Place the dry grains in an airtight jar and store in a cool place e.g., in the refrigerator [do not freeze].

I add a little dry milk powder [DMP] with dehydrated kefir grains, adding enough DMP to completely cover the grains in a jar or in a zip lock plastic bag. Dehydrated kefir grains may be stored for up to 18 months. Although I have discovered that my method of adding DMP, dehydrated kefir grains can remain viable for up to 6 years.

NOTES: It is best to replace dehydrated kefir grains with freshly dehydrated grains every 6 months, just to be on the safe side. The previous batch of dehydrated kefir grains make great treats for both people and pets alike. It is not imperative to pre-iron any toweling used in the process explained above. This procedure is suggested to reduce the risk of contamination.

-------------------------------------------------

REACTIVATING "Back Up" KEFIR GRAINS

Reactivating Frozen Kefir Grains:

To reactivate frozen kefir grains, thaw by placing the grains in a glass with cold water for a few minutes. Place the grains into a strainer and wash off any powdered milk that's adhered to the grains with cold water.. presto pronto.. they're ready for action and reaction.. hehehe!

Now, add fresh milk to the grains with a ratio of 1 : 3 of grains to milk by volume [say 1/2 cup of milk to 2 Tbs of grains]. Strain off the milk every 24 hours, whether or not the milk has coagulated, then place the grains back in the jar with more fresh milk.

When full coagulation occurs within 24 hours of fermentation, your kefir grains have reestablished themselves. At this point in time the milk should smell sour but clean, with a possible aroma of fresh yeast. This could take up to one week and in some cases longer. The quantity of milk may be increased after every other batches until you're happy with the amount of kefir being produced.

After an increase in milk volume, do not increase again until the grains are able to ferment the previous increase within 24 hours. This may take between two to seven batches, depending on many factors e.g. how much you increased by, temperature and the activity of the grains themselves.

Reactivating Dehydrated Kefir Grains

First reconstitute dry kefir grains by placing the dry grains in a jar with the addition of a glass of fresh milk. Activate by renewing the milk daily after straining that batch, whether the milk has coagulated or not. Do not drink this milk until it produces a clean sour aroma.

Reconstituting dry grains may take between four days and in some cases up to one and a half weeks to occur. When the milk starts to coagulate within 24 hours, producing a clean sour aroma, with a hint of fresh yeast, your grains have reactivated and are rearing to go!

NOTES: When activating dehydrated kefir grains, for the first few days the milk will go through some unusual stages, regarding its appearance and aroma. The milk will initially produce a predominance of friendly yeast activity, evident as "froth" or "foam" forming on the surface of the milk. Yeast activity may reach a peak after three to 5 days, then begin to subside as consecutive batches are cultured thereafter. As consecutive batches are cultured, the microflora should find a balance between the bacteria and yeast components, which kefir grains can achieve quite naturally on their own. This may take between one to two weeks.

Growth rate of kefir grains may not be evident, in some cases, until the third week. The grains should become whiter in colour after each consecutive batch. Any yellow or yellow-pink-brown grains that don't have an elastic property, should be removed from the batch after the forth week. These are non propagable grains [do not grow], the portion of which is determined by length and storage conditions of dehydrated grains.

Non propagable grains disintegrate, when squeezed between two clean fingers, having the texture similar to a cheddar cheese. Whereas propagable grains are white and elastic with a slightly slimy feel [Kefiran], felt when gently squeezing a grain between two clean fingers.

Please see FAQ 38 at Dom's Kefir FAQ in-site for further details regarding drinking the initial batches of kefir prepared during reactivation.

[ 26. July 2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Mo ]

GiGi
Member # 259

A few years old, but still the best kitchen medicine!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=039199#000001http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=039199#000001http://flash.lymen et.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=039199#000001http://

jessie86
Member # 20045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessie86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i ordered some kefir grains about a week ago. i figured it would be cheaper to get my probiotics that way instead of buying those really expensive pills.

i got mine from the kefirlady(look her up)she grows hers on raw goats milk, and so far they have done great!!

and i can mess up anything,lol. in fact they are multiplying great. my 2T have gotten to 4 [Smile]

Posts: 57 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement