LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diet/Raw Foods Advice Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet/Raw Foods Advice Anyone?
ivebeentricked
Member # 6944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebeentricked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone,

I have not posetd for quite a while, I have been really busy both with treatment, and trying to get back to school and what not. I just finished a few months a HBO treatments that seemed to have helped me quite a bit. I am not well, but I am feeling much better that I was before I started the treatments. I had a great experience at the HBO center I went to. The technicians were wonderfull and I met some really great people.

Now that I am done with the HBO, I still have the Picc line in for a few more weeks and will probably switch to orals again after I get it out (I can't wait!).

I am really trying to adjust my life in more and more ways to being sick or living with this disease. Once I get the PIcc line out I will start a new excersize program that I kind of just put together from reading different things, and also I will start doing Yoga again.

One of my main concerns is my diet. I try and eat as much healthy organic foods as possible, but I constantly find myself slipping, or if nothing else, at a loss as far as what to eat. Nearly everything seems to be bad in one way or another.

I am really curious about trying to go a more vegitarian/ raw foods route. I do juice veggies and eat salads and what not nearly everyday, but I think that I eat a lot of other things that I probably shouldn't. I have read a little about different diets and philosophys on eating but I would love it if someone who does know a lot about diet and nutrition could help me out a little bit. I would really appreciate it.

What are good breakfast foods/ meals? Can I eat too much veggies? I know I can eat too much fruit, but what types are good and what types are bad? What aboutr lunch and dinner? How do I fill myself up and just veggies and fruit? What other foods can I incorporate into my diet in the morning and for lunch and dinner. I have lost 25 pounds now since being sick and I would really like to pack on some more weight, and preferably some muscle in the next few months after I get my picc out. Is that possible to do when I am not eating much or any meat and animal products?

Any advice anyone has to give me would be appreciated. If it makes any difference, I am a young male who wieghs about 140 now, I am not sure how long I have had lyme, I think probably since high school, at least 5 or six years I guess. Anyway, thanks again for anyone who got through that.

-tricked

Posts: 99 | From California | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tricked,

My maternal grandmother lived to 103 (she just died last January) Her 94 y.o. sister is still alive and well and living at home and drives. My paternal great-grandmother lived to be 105 and had her own radio talk show until she died. My aunt is 83, my mother is 78 and both are in great health. So here is what I learned from them. Eat all things in moderation. Always cook from scratch (they did because it tasted better, but we know it is also better for you as no preservatives or additives,etc) They never heard of organic and cooked most of their food although we all love to eat the raw heart of the cabbage. I try to eat organic when I can and I understand the benefits of eating food raw, but I don't get hung up on it. I do try to eat mostly foods that grew that way including meat and fish and avoid processed whenever possible. The most important thing about the long livers in my family is they aren't overly stressed. They keep their life simple and accept alot. I haven't always done so well in that department but am trying to change my ways. Good luck to you.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricked,

I too am a young, rather thin male with Lyme for who knows how many years. In high school I got real into the whole vegan/raw/organic scene. I dropped from 138 lbs in 9th grade to 119 at the start of my senior year when my GI symptoms were the worst ever. I started eating fish again and got back to about 125, but no major improvement. Then I cut out all grains and all fruit and started eating lots of eggs and red meat (grass-fed) and within 6 months I was up to 140! My GI symptoms had virtually disappeared and I've continued since then. I haven't grown one inch but I'm up to 154 right now and I don't have GI problems. In addition, the diet really supports the immune system and helps with the fatigue.

I think there's a lot to be said for organic, and even something for raw, but please don't fall for the vegetarian hype like I did. Check out http://www.mercola.com/2002/feb/2/vegetarian.htm and http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtvegetarianism.html

They will show you another side than you are getting from the health food culture, of which I was a part of for 3 years working at an inner-city co-op.

In particular, people with Lyme need the saturated fats and proteins that are only found in organic, grass-fed cows and their milk.

Also, the last poster was totally right - everything in moderation. Yeah, even veggies can be too much, shoot, even water - gotta find the balance.

Posts: 45 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricked:

Nourishing Traditions,
by Sally Fallon

Check it out at Amazon.com.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, everything in moderation.

Keep in mind that with lyme our immune systems are compromised. Eating raw presents risks. Wash produce really well.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement