LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I think I may be losing the yeast battle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think I may be losing the yeast battle
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Nature's Biotics, Oregan- liquid & pills, Russian Choice Immune but I'm starting to develop a yeast overgrowth. White tongue thrush, cruddy genital feeling.

I've been on abx since July and have not had many problems. Watch what I eat pretty well.

I don't take a refrigerated probiotic. Should I add a different probiotic from the healthfood store or take more of what I have or just call the dr and have them prescribe Diflucan.

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im starting back on the diet myself. Im not perfect at it at all though. I take Jaro-Dophulus which can be purchased at the health food store. It is in the refrigerated section.

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that non-refrigerated acidophilus works fine. Different brands have different strains and numbers of organisms. I take two different brands at the same time, to cover all the bases.

Have just been trying a mouthwash with tea tree oil, made by Desert Essence. Not big on alternative/herbal stuff, but think this might be useful for mouth problems.

But you may have to do diflucan every now and then if other measures don't hold it back.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't say how mush probiotic you take. Ours is 5 bil live cultures at time of manufacture. We take one a day. If I eat out and eat bread a couple of days in a row I take two for a couple of days.

Changing the ph of your body will discourage yeast. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to your filtered water and eat more green vegtables and fewer fruits and whole grains.

Also try cranberry juice, buy un-sweetened if you can get it. I also have the cranberry gel tabs for traveling. LLmd says not to take them more than a day or two at a time.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The probiotic that has helped me tremendously is Primal Defense by Garden of Life.

I've tried others and nothing works as good for me as this brand.

I buy them at Vitacost.com a lot cheaper than through Garden of Life.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like "All flora " By New Chapter

I also brush and swish with peroixide.I brush my tongue and then let it lay on there as long as possible.Don.t swallow any of it!

I also do the tee tree oil.rub a couble of drops on my tonge and brush and swish alot.
I think RX Diflucan too.

In the natural realm I use garlic and wild oil of oregano tabs.

The lemon mentined above to your water is a really good idea too.I think this helps me too.

Good luck and take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran out to the drugstore last night and bought AZO Yeast which is a homeopathic combination that works fairly well. Took a couple of doses and feel alittle better. Not a cure or a solution. Maybe a bandaid.

I use Garden of Life's Tooth & Gum solution which I thought was doing a pretty good job. Maybe not - I thought it had tea tree oil but I just looked it up and it does not. Did they change the formula or am I losing my mind, probably not remembering correctly.

In the first 2 months with my LLMD she insisted I drink lots of water and always with lemon. I think (know) that I have not only reduced my water intake but rarely have put lemon in my water in tthe last month. You are correct, I need to add water and lemon.

Am I reasoning this correctly?
Since the Natures Biotics is soil based and Russian Choice Immune is made from a specific strain of lactobacillus, then adding a general probiotic mix such as All Flora will provide several source, hence a better defense.

I thought I was a pretty disciplined person until I was bit by a tick. Now I don't know. Lyme treatment requires so many hoops to jump through. I can manage about 75% of them but somehow I fail miserably at the other 25%.

I always take my perscription meds. But all the other supplements, diet, excercise, drinking, do's & don'ts, ugggghhhhh.

I'm not complaining. I''m getting better and in some respects feel better than I have in years. Things are good, I just wish I could get better at all this stuff.

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan and/or colloidal silver. The silver also does a good job on general tooth decay.
Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm . . . natural yeast-killers are good at the beginning and good probiotics are good in the next phase (I like Primal D also), but ultimately no supplement is gonna do it . . . you gotta change the diet. I've been doing this for years and I no longer take any supplements and yeast isn't a problem - provided I don't eat something bad.

What's bad? For me, any grain, anything that has sugar except berries (in small amounts) and I'm including fruits, potatoes, tomatoes, and even carrots here, any nuts/seeds, beans (except green), and processed food. I pretty much eat meat and veggies, and it works. Obviously, you may be different, but I know others for whom this diet works wonders.

Also, probiotics can be good, but they're expensive and really not the most effective treatment. A better alternative is to eat fermented foods. My personal favorites are kefir made from fresh goat milk and cultured cabbage, carrots (they're OK when cultured), garlic, and ginger. Recipes and starter culture can be found at the BED store or at the Mercola store.

Also, for candida and other digestive problems, I've found Restoring Your Digestive Health by Rubin and the Body Ecology Diet by Gates to be very helpful.

Posts: 45 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing fine using 4 acidophilus capsules and having some plain yogurt ever day, usually in a power smoothie.
Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that if you are already doing all the things you are doing and still have problems, you need something stronger. It may be that your diet is not supportive of low yeast, which itself is a problem. I would talk to your doctor about Nystatin. I have read good reports on the Yeast product from jnutra.com though I have not tried it myself and if you want the best probiotic, I like VSL-3. See my Probiotics page on my site - URL below.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definetly ask my doc about pulsing in
Diflucan. [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Primal Defense works great for me. I take it twice a day, 2 hours after morning antibiotics & before bed.

I not not eat any grains (including flour) fruit or sugar and I limit sweet vegetables. I primarily eat vegetables & nuts with some meat, fish, eggs, cheese.

I can tolerate a little white rice a few times a week but if I have any more grain or sugar than that, vaginal yeast starts really fast. Once I couldn't get it back under control until I used Monistat which worked well.

Sometimes my tongue is whiteish. When it is I sprinkle a little Primal Defense Powder on it which helps right away. Normally I take the Caplets but I like the powder for my tongue.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lydie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following MD instructions we take 4 capsules of 15 billion organisms/day, for a total of 60 billion. We use Custom Probiotics, and also Ultra Flora, both refrigerated.

Kyolic garlic capsules and caprylic acid are supposed to help, but like another poster, we don't always manage to do all the supplements we should, since we have to stagger so many different meds.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement