LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MINOCYCLINE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MINOCYCLINE
vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 5 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on meds for Lyme for almost 2 years. I've taken tons of antibiotics orally with little or no problems. I just started minocycline yesterday with flagyl starting on the weekends.

The mino is 100 mg. 2 tablets morning 2 in evening Monday-Friday. Will take Flagyl 750 mg Friday-Sunday. I am so nauseated and having horrible headache and pain in my neck.

I've taken Flagyl before so I don't anticipate any problems with it. Any suggestions to help tolerate the mino without having to go to iv?
It too might be a horrible herxing.
I'm desperate for any suggestions. [confused]

--------------------
Debbie V.

Posts: 125 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi vandeb [hi]

Minio trashed my stomach too I was so nauseated.Worse than the doxy I am on now and lot of people say doxy is hard on the tummie.But every one is different.

What helps me the most for nasusea now is I take two prilosec in the am.

I suck on little pieces of ginger root.And pepermint chewing gum (SF) will help sometimes.

I also have been taking RX Carafat but you have to space two away from food,drink and abx.It's good to take at night too right before I go to bed.Because I'll have an empty stomach all night.

And also I try to eat alot then wash down my abx with something like 10 0z of water.Just chug it.

I don,t have much luck with teas except chamamille.You might want to try the teas.Peppermint gingerect..

Hope your tummie feels better.Being nauseated really stinks.

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you are so sick from the Mino. I had my worst herx from day 3 on it. I felt horrible. I know I will have to take it again someday but for now I must work and it made me feel so sick. It is supposed to be a wonderful abx. so hang in there I will be looking for your updates I hope you will do better soon and it helps [group hug]
mimi

Posts: 343 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking 100mg 2x a day and my PA said that that is a good-hefty dose.
You are taking 400?

I am getting much!!!better on the mino.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had terrible nausea from the minocycline. Before each meal she took actizyme. Half way through she took 2 ginger capsules and mino at the end. She also took Nelson homeopathic nux vom for nausea and aresen alb for stomach problems. This did all help. good luck!
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 7910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was taking 200mg 2x day of mino with 1500 mg 3x day of flagyl and had such a bad reaction I had to go down to 750mg 3x day on flaygl. I was soooooooooooooooo naucious and also got horrible headaches which I rarely get.

unforchunetly, I don't have too much advice for you. If you feel so sick to the point that you can't function then stop the meds and call your doc. I didn't listen to everyone on here who told me to stop the meds and thought I could just push through the herx (that's what you're headache and nausia are from) but I started vommiting everything and after 3 weeks I stopped. My immune system was compromised and I had to be off all meds for 3 weeks to rebuilt my immune system. So my advice is-if you feel so sick-to the point that you can't function DON'T PUSH THROUGH IT-you can't push through it-you'll just keep getting sicker. It's really important to have open communication with your doc and make sure that you are documenting everything-diet, pain, head aches, nausea etc. If you start to have neuro pain that is common too ( i had tingling in my legs, feet, hands, arms and sharp zaps in my abdoman). I am not a doc and this disease is different for everyone but that was my experience with flagyl and I will probably not go back on it. Tinidemax is another drug in the same family with apparently a lot less side effects-however it's debatable how much better it works. Flagyl is known for being a really great cyst and babs buster-and the mino will help with lyme and erch-if you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Keep truckin!
Lindsay

Posts: 19 | From Northern California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all who replied to my question.
Dana thanks for the good advice about some nausea remedies. I will absolutely try some.

Mimi tomorrow would be my 3rd day on mino but I don't think I will be taking the full dosage. I will try and maybe cut it in half.

Char I think you're right in the fact that maybe the dosage is wayyyy too much. I will only take 1 in morning and 1 at night tomorrow and see how that goes.

Fatigued thanks for the advice about the nausea. It really is awful and anything that works I will be trying if it continues to be like today.

Lindsay you were reading my mind. I too know what it's like to push when you need to stop instead. I am also having the neuro pain and tremors too. My LLMD is a great friend so if after tomorrow I cut the dosage down and I'm still really sick on Thursday I will call him.

After almost 2 years I guess I've learned to experiment with the abx and the herxing. I really do think I'm having a MAJOR herx so I will lessen the dosage and see how it goes.

Thank you all SO much for writing. It is what we learn from our own experiences and sharing with others about Lyme that really gives hope and encouragement to each other. God bless you all.

--------------------
Debbie V.

Posts: 125 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've been taking mino for quite a few months now. I started with Ketek and added mino and had really bad heart problems.

I then took a couple of weeks off and my LLMD had me start back up with just mino. I had bad reaction again.

I stopped again. Had a stress test and found mitral valve prolapse.

Then LLMD said start with one 100mg a day and take a often as possible. Skip days if necessary. Try to work up to 2/day regularly.

That took me more than 2 months to do.

Then LLMD said try to take up to 400mgs a day. I've never been able to do that. I've sustained 300mgs from time to time.

Now I've added Bactrim and I'm back to not tolerating mino.

Through all of this, I'll say that my health has been improving rapidly. So slow and steady wins the race in my case.

Also, mino in high doses is bacteriocidal. It's only bacteriostatic in lower doses. That's why the high doses are recommended by Dr. B.

Take care,

Corgilla

--------------------
"I'll never forget good old Whatsisname."

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrat
Member # 3208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Minocycline and I,have a love hate relationship. I hate how it gave me what I call,"he herx from hell" but I love it, as it was the only med that helped with my neuro lyme.

I had a herx so bad, I was on the couch for 11 days and had to stop taking it. I did start back on it and had much less difficulties the second time around. I started off very slowly...

There use to be a thread here, just for mino users, I'm not sure if it's still in the archives, but if your interested, you could do a search. There was alot of very good information in that thread.

I wish you luck!

~LymeBrat

[ 10. December 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: lymebrat ]

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks again for your responses. My LLMD wants me to start Monday with 100 mg Mino twice a day if my body can handle it. If not I will go down to one a day. Then on the weekends taking Flagyl 750 mg. I've been slowly building up with Flagyl. Anybody take Mino and Flagyl at the same time? Thanks again for all the great information. God bless you all [Smile]

--------------------
Debbie V.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement