LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mind over matter, positive thinking, as cure for Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mind over matter, positive thinking, as cure for Lyme
tcn
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to recommend a wonderful book, ``The Biology of Belief'' by Bruce Lipton, Ph.D.

Basically summed up, this book postulates that every cell within the body is under the command of the mind. Every one of our billions of cells is ultimately controlled by environmental influences subjected to the cell membrane, the true ``brain'' of each of our cells (NOT the cell nucleus, as one may think).
And I have never been much of a believer myself, in positive thinking as a means to help the body, but WOW!, after reading this book, I am quite convinced otherwise!

AS LYME DISEASE SUFFERERS, IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT WE THINK POSITIVE, UPLIFTING THOUGHTS, AND ATTEMPT TO LEAD STRESS-FREE LIVES, AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! It is of upmost importance to the healing of our body. In fact, after reading this book, you too, may believe that the mind alone can cure you of Lyme disease!!

Please read this book...can be ordered at amazon.com.
Lipton states some very convincing evidence to support his theory:
1. The placebo effect, and how many test subjects given supposed cures for their disease, though in reality received only sugar pills, WERE YET ABLE TO CURE THEMSELVES! He explains how it occurs so frequently, this placebo effect, that pharmaceutical companies expecting to find subjects unaffected by the placebo effect have a hard time finding these subjects! Pharmaceutical companies NEED people who will not be affected by placebo effects, in order for their medications to stand testing trials.
2. Mind over matter in primitive or far-eastern societies: people able to walk on hot coals, and yet not suffer one burn (as long as these people BELIEVE it can occur...visitors trying to do the same, yet not truly believing, will get burned!).
3. Growth and healing of new cells occurs all the time in the body.
However, if the body is continuously under what is called the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis, or HPA axis, which is called into action under fear or stress, the body then redistributes blood supply, via the adrenal hormones, away from healing and growth (digestive system, immune system, etc.), and the visceral organs, and instead toward the arms and legs, in an effort to conduct the ``flight or fight'' instinctive reaction.
However, when we are at peace, and are calm and relaxed, and thinking pleasant, positive thoughts, the reverse occurs, and the energy and blood supply necessary for growth and healing can be much more effectively utilized.

And there are many other extremely convincing accounts and facts brought into Lipton's theory.
Nevertheless, Lipton does point out that one obstacle to positive thinking is the subconscious mind, where we have been wrongfully or rightfully ``programmed'' by our upbringing...negative parental words, or from teachers, or others, that can hamper our attempts at positive belief.
Yet, he does give recommendation for another author, who can help with certain techniques to overcome this.
But, I have to say, since I've tried much of what's written in this book, it has helped me, already.

How many times have we been told that we can't overcome Lyme disease completely?
How many times have people posted negative thoughts or ideas, about Lyme disease, totally crushing and wiping away any of our beliefs that everything will be all right?

I think as Lyme disease patients, we should all attempt to speak, think, and behave as though we are getting better, and that everyone else will get better, and that WE, OURSELVES, ARE IN CONTROL OF OUR BODIES, NOT ANY BACTERIA OR VIRUS, and our bodies WILL LISTEN to us if we convince ourselves that we can become completely healthy again!!

Please, just everyone, READ THIS BOOK! It is an easy read, the author gives many interesting, even funny accounts of faults in his own life, and how he then came to his new, wonderful conclusion...this book really filled me with peace and hope, and I believe it will for you too!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I agree.

Remember we are overcoming years and years of cultural brainwashing.

The culture says that we (the people, humans) dont have any power. The government does.

and if the doctors dont belive it, then neither should you.

Remember this. A little evil (negativity) goes further and carries more weight than a little good (positivity). This is because of the consciousness of enculturazation.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah! I agree wholeheartedly! Haven't read the book.....but it sounds really great!

Also check out Bernie Siegel's books. One is "Peace, Love, and Healing."

Another would be the Norman Cousins book. Can't think of the title. He outlines how he "cured" himself of anklyosing spondilitis with the help of watching FUNNY movies and positive thinking.

He says we all need SEVERAL good belly laughs everyday just to survive!! [Smile]

An old standard would the original Positive Thinker, Norman Vincent Peale. ALL of his books are AWESOME!! The main one being The Power of Positive Thinking.

Then there's Robert Schuller's books. hey....gotta run....happy reading!!

[ 15. December 2005, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT post, TCN!

Now, I don't think that means we should throw out our antibiotics. By any means!

But:

I think we should strive for a hopeful and positive attitude.

When we are getting down and STAYING down, we need to recruit a friend to hold us down and tickle us.

Try to find positive things and enlarge on them! They don't have to be big things.

Think of negatives as just stepping stones.

I used to put my daughter to bed when she had a cold or runny nose by giving her mental images of little warriors on tiny horses running around in her bloodstream. Replete with little swords! Hunting "bad guys" -- bacteria or virus - trying to hide from them! And that while we were sleeping, they would do their work and hunt them down! She believed me (and I believe it too!). In 8th grade, she has yet to miss a day of school sick. And she has Lyme disease too - CDC positive, with some pretty icky knees.

Another thing is to try to look for beauty, and to try and focus yourself OUTward and help someone else. Everyone's got something to give and someone who could use it -- and money is usually NOT what's needed. And believe and trust completely that you WILL get better. Repeat as necessary!!

[group hug]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Post.

Another book you might check out is "Your Body Believes Every Word You Say" by Barbara Hoberman Levine.

My religion teaches that we create our own reality through what we chose to believe. Sometimes this can be used to bludgeon people who are already hurting and heap blame on them for not thinking "correctly" and healing themselves. So, I see a dark side to this too. I have almost left our church a couple of times over this.

So, while I think this is very valid, I don't think judgements should be attached to it....and judgements are a hard thing for human beings to avoid...

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.

3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.

3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:

3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Basicaly if one cant control his tounge its a ship without a rudder a horse without a bit a little fire that builds into a wildfire.
With some little words we can hurt many.

Example

A Strong Conviction Doesn't Make Something True
People have a natural tendency to assume that if you believe in something strongly enough it will become reality. No matter how dedicated people are to an idea, their positive confessions do not produce truth.

In the past decade, many radical terrorists have believed in their twisted ideologies so resolutely that they have been willing to die for their causes. I'm sure the hijackers who crashed the two jets into the World Trade Center and one into the Pentagon were fully convinced that killing all those people was a supremely justified act that had the blessings of some divine being.

I realize the world has lost much of its grasp on morality, but I don't think we've fallen far enough from grace for the average person not to understand that these men were greatly mistaken in their actions. I'm sure the terrorists were quite shocked when they realized they were not in Heaven.

If you have a terminal illness, saying you don't have it isn't going to make it go away. God does not wait until someone is in the perfect state of denial before he heals that person. Until the Lord sees fit to answer your prayers for healing, it's dishonesty to claim a state of health you don't have.

As long as being possitve isnt lying to yourself its okay.Have faith in God to get you through your troubles.

Please dont let this offend anyone its not intended that way at all.

The truth will set you free [Big Grin]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tcn,

What a great book!

I'm a little wary, I was raised to never be sick, never. And I never was--I ignored everything, hyper thyroid, hypo thyroid, EBV, sever fatigue--I just ignored it all until I just about died.

I just refussed to believe I could be sick--'cause I'm never sick.

No no one in my extended family believes my family is sick--I woke up at 40 a hypercontriact and am projecting my illness on my children. so if you twist such a great idea just a little bit--it can turn into an ugly, ugly thing.

I have an Aunt (by marriage) who got lung cancer 10 years ago (she never smoked). My Dad (retired malpractice attorney) and brother (radiologist) just decided (after never seeing any test or talking with her doctors) that her lung cancer was all in her head and she just "found" a doctor crazy enough to take one lung out. Now her cancer is back--this is a death sentence. No word yet on whether brother or father believe she really has cancer or not.

Some people can take a good idea and twist it into something so ugly. This experience has just made me wary. Father and brother would say you weren't really sick if you miraculously cured yourself--they just can't understand something so unlogical.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it is all well and good to think positive and to keep from stressful situations to better our health...and anything we read or do or experience in a positive way can only do us good versus bad.

Try and explain this to someone in the throes of neruo lyme infection...
This person would'nt be able to read,think,focus.

While I personally have believed in self healing in the past utilizing bio feedback and intraspective psychoanalysis...it was not enough.

I gained help from my creator and medicine.

No placebo would have done it...please don't insult those on this board like so many ducks in all mainstream medicine have done.

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony, I don't think anyone on this tread meant to offend anyone. It is just another tool for anyone that is ready to look outside the box and try different approaches to treating this dreadful disease besides abx.

I have seen a real swing in thinking and posting here. Many are trying other things to get well. Not that reading any book is going to heal you alone. But realization that SOMETIMES it takes more than a pill to heal many with chronic illnesses.

It's all about finding what is best for YOU. There is not a one size fits all answer to these vector borne disease.

TNC and others that recommended good reading and related books....Thank you. They will be on my libary list of books to read.

Take care, Pam

P.S. I had never read the Bible completely. In April I decided I was going to read the Bible from beginning to end Old Testament through the New Testament. I would read when I doing my rife treatments or when I felt I needed some spiritual uplifting. I'm proud to say I've completed 80% and I've learned so much.

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Positive thinking is never a bad thing. It gets you much farther in life. I believe it is one more excellent tool to put in our arsenal.

I learned not so many years ago that nothing is totally in my control and despite my best efforts bad things can happen. Instead of losing hope with this knowledge, I learned to turn it all over to God which is a stress relieving technique in and of itself.

I am convinced I am on the road to recovery, but I know that to get there I need help from professionals with much experience fighting this bacteria.

Thanks TCN for telling us about this book. It sounds like an excellent read for anyone facing hardship, medical or otherwise.

"First you must believe it, then you can achieve it"

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think with years of practice--3-4 hours a day of qi gong, or decades of serious meditation--you could probably significantly influence any disease process. Or if your belief is 100% throughout every cell in your body including subconscious--there are supposedly folks who can pierce their tongues, not bleed, and heal the next day who are being studied.
But for most of us who are ordinary and not so disciplined......I dunno...

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Bayliss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, LOTS of study to be able to do ANYTHING good.

I spent thousands of hours STUDYING the bible over more than 30 years and STILL only know a fraction of it. It is written THAT way so you NEVER know it all. MANY people studying, ( I don't mean just reading), it will NEVER know it all.

ALSO, we have to realize WE are in a dying state from inception.

YES, we are basically going UPhill for the FIRST 18 years of our lives; BUT it is ALL downhill the rest of our lives until we finally die. We are ALL undergoing a SLOW death every day of our lives. NO ONE gets out alive with the BODY they were BORN in. NO one.

AND because mankind is hellbent on a course of destruction, we ALL have to suffer, even IF we are not trying to partake in that course. The affects of what THEY are doing is all around us, in everything we touch, see, and use.

Look at the air, the water, land, etc., etc.. ALL being destroyed because of GREED, and stupidity. Once, was ignorance, but not any more. Just plain stupidity. WHAT does the Bible say about the STUPID ones? [Roll Eyes]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Bayliss:
WHAT does the Bible say about the STUPID ones? [Roll Eyes]

If I'm not mistaken, it says Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by map1131:
P.S. I had never read the Bible completely. In April I decided I was going to read the Bible from beginning to end Old Testament through the New Testament. I would read when I doing my rife treatments or when I felt I needed some spiritual uplifting.

Hey Pam! I do the same thing! I'm in a Bible Study group now and I do alot of my reading while Rifing. I'll think about you and pray for you the next time I Rife! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
???
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement