LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Elevated protein in friend's CSF

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elevated protein in friend's CSF
Nancy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with a friend this evening who has been diagnosed with Guillane Barre Syndrome based on high protein in her spinal fluid. I am convinced that she has Lyme Disease.

I have tried researching the high protein factor with Lyme, but have been unable to come up with any info as to whether or not Lyme patients do, indeed, have this. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Nancy

Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattilynn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattilynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are her symptoms?
Posts: 340 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a pretty common finding for Lymies on lumbar puncture. I had it. Also increased opening pressure.

Much as I hated the spinal tap, it oddly gave me a blissful several weeks of relief from blinding headaches.

Much as I can't stand my neuro duck, I used to joke with him, 'Hey, my head is KILLING me, how 'bout we do another one of those?'

Don't be surprised if there's no finding of borrelia in the spinal fluid. That too is common and don't mean nuthin a'tall!

If friend's other symptoms are Lyme-ish, since GB is often a misdiagnosis of Lyme, I'd haul friend to LLMD, or at least beg friend to submit to IGeneX testing.

Good for you for being Lyme smart!!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy2
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She has alot of Lyme symptoms..ie: short term memory loss, muscle weakness, rib-cage pain, sometimes legs unable to hold her up! Fatigue is great and stamina is poor.Incidently, she is a golfer.

Does anyone know where I could find, in writing, where elevated protein can be found in CSF in Lyme cases?

Thanks for your help here! I need to get her going in the right direction.

Nancy

Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nancy. Click on "medical abstracts" and type in 'keyword search' -- then enter 'elevated proteins.' Lots of 'em pop up. Here's a quickie but there are others. It's REALLY common.

Your friend sure sounds Lymie! Drag her kicking and screaming to an LLMD! Good luck!

Michelle

-------------------------------

The Lyme Disease Network
Medical / Scientific Abstract

Title: CSF findings in Lyme meningitis.
Authors: Lakos A
Source: J Infect 1992 Sep;25(2):155-61
Organization: Central Hospital for Infectious Diseases Budapest Hungary.

Abstract:
The results of cerebrospinal fluid examination in 59 cases of meningitis caused by Borrelia burgdorferi were analysed and compared with 73 non-Lyme meningitis cases. There was no statistically significant difference in the median cell count of 160 x 10(6)/l in the Lyme meningitis patients and the 150 x 10(6)/l in the non-Lyme cases. The protein level was elevated in both patients groups to 0.9 g/l and 0.8 g/l, respectively. The glucose level of 2.9 mmol/l (1.0- 6.1) was, however, significantly (P = 0.005) lower in Lyme meningitis than the 3.3 mmol/l (1.6-5.4) in the non-Lyme cases.

The most important observation of the study was the finding of a combination of pleocytosis, elevated protein (greater than 0.6 g/l) and low glucose levels (less than 2.1 mmol/l) (considered to be pathognostic for tuberculous meningitis) in six of 59 cases of Lyme meningitis.

Unique ID: 93056593

The Lyme Disease Network of NJ, Inc.
43 Winton Road
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
http://www.lymenet.org/

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Here's another...

Title: Neuropsychological deficits in Lyme disease patients with and without other evidence of central nervous system pathology.

Authors: Kaplan RF, Jones-Woodward L, Workman K, Steere AC, Logigian EL, Meadows ME
Source: Appl Neuropsychol 1999;6(1):3-11
Organization: Department of Neurology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Abstract:

A small percentage of Lyme patients develop mild to moderate encephalopathic symptoms months to years after diagnosis and treatment. Their symptoms typically include fatigue, memory loss, sleep disturbance, and depression. However, the etiology of this syndrome remains controversial. It is generally thought that Lyme patients with abnormal cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) have a neurological basis to their illness.

To further examine this question, we compared Lyme patients with evidence of abnormal CSF, intrathecal antibody to Borrelia burgdorferi, elevated protein, or a positive polymerase chain reaction for B. burgdorferi DNA (n = 14); Lyme patients with normal CSF (n = 18); and healthy controls (n = 15) on a battery of neuropsychological and personality tests.

Although both Lyme groups reported memory problems, only the Lyme group with abnormal CSF had measurable memory deficits. Both Lyme groups had higher depression scores than the normal control group, although depression was not correlated with memory scores.

It appears that Lyme patients with abnormal CSF may have a neurological basis to their illness, whereas affective symptoms, common to many chronic disorders, may predispose other Lyme patients to the perception of cognitive dysfunction.

Unique ID: 99311574

The Lyme Disease Network of NJ, Inc.
43 Winton Road
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
http://www.lymenet.org/

Nancy2
Member # 95

Thank you all very, very much. Always can depend on you!

I have printed out the citations and they are already on their way to her!

Thanks again,
Nancy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement