LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yeast diet-does it really, really, really help??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast diet-does it really, really, really help??
Nal
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6801

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I give, I give. My stomach is still acting up. I put a post on here about TOA free cats claw. When I took it last night, my stomach started to burn and i had the runs today. I so hope thats normal.

I hear a lot on here about yeast free diets. Ive tried it before and honestly didn't notice a huge difference but I may not have been on it long enough.

How can I do this diet and not lose ANY weight??? Im plenty thin now.

Who here HONESTLY notices a big difference for the better on this diet and how strict are you on it???

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diet worked really well for my son. He is really thin also 6 foot tall and 125 lbs. The doctor had him doing protein shakes. It was hard to cut down on junk and candy with a teen but he is improving. Good Luck

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one do protein shakes without any sugar?

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nancy,
Although I haven't started on the cat's claw yet, I think you should contact your Dr. re: the stomach burn and diarrhea. I'm pretty sure that there is a way to make yourself a bit more comfortable.

My cat's claw instructions say:
"Take samento (cat's claw) on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before meals.

Begin with one drop in 1/2 to 1 cup of water per day. Then increase the dosage by one drop every day to 5 drops daily. Then build up to 15 to 25 drops two times per day.

A few patients may experience a healing crisis with as little as one drop. If experiencing an acute healing crisis or unable to tolerate entry level dosage, discontinue use, follow a detoxification protocol for 3 days and resume 1/4 drop per day (1 drop in 1 cup of water and drink 1/4 of the cup of water.) Increase dosage by 1/4 drop each day building up to 5 drops a day, then build to maximum dose."

About the yeast free diet, what reason did you go on it? I've been on the Candida diet since May which is also yeast-free. I stopped eating wheat entirely. It completely eliminated my problem with bloating, gas, and stomach discomfort almost immediately!

I did drop 10 lbs, and I was already slender. I have not regained an ounce. I eat the healthiest I have in my life, and I was already into health foods before, have just taken it up several notches.

Sugar free protein shakes are possible! I have a whey protein shake daily. You have to read the labels very carefully. The one I take has only whey protein, no fillers, no flavoring, no sugar, nothing else in it.

I combine it in my blender with sugar-free rice milk, ground flax seed, organic non-fat plain yogurt (no sugar). I do use some apple, with the peel, and a handful of frozen berries, all organic. Apples and berries do have fructose, but their health-giving properties make them OK. If you like, you could add some almond butter.

Hope something here has helped out.
Take care,
Hopeful

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Nancy,

Yes the diet definitely works. I follow this diet at least 80% of the time and I feel so much better when I'm on it. Even when I took an abx vacation I still continued to follow it. Give it some time it will work.

Don't worry about getting to thin your body will adapt. I gained 15 lbs after I started this diet however, I had leaky gut syndrome and was a walking stick at 103 lbs and 5 feet 6" before the diet. Go figure!

When I cheat alot I get really bad neuro symptoms and joint pain...not worth it to me.

As far as Cats Claw I use it too. Seems to make a huge difference for pain. Like some one else said start out slow slow slow. I'm extremely sensitive so at one point I herxed on 1 drop.

Does your doc know your doing cats claw? If so, mention the stomach pain to your doc just in case.

Hope your feeling better soon!

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azfan
Member # 8482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check out stevia powder for sugar free sweetener. It is plant derived, available in health food stores, and is far sweeter than sugar. It does have a bit of a fruity aftertaste, though, and may take several tries to get used to. It's compatible with every diet plan I know of, and is a favorite of health food experts. I've learned to like it in everything except chocolate. It won't give you many calories, though.
Posts: 40 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might have to give this diet a try. Im surprised, aren't there more people on here doing this diet?

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

No Carb Diet is the Most Important
thing you can do--
No secessful way around it -
if you have bad candida--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this book called The Body Ecology Diet. by Donna Gates It says a must read for anyone that has digestive disorders, candidiasis,cfids,cancer,aids ms etc. I feel my best when I stick with it. It's a way of life for me. Also digestive enzymes help me. Have you been checked for celiac desease? I came up with this among other things in the last few months. We are all so different what helps 1 doesn't help another.

OOPS! Forgot to use spaces. Blessings to your day.
P.S. Curious what your doc will say about cats claw. Go very slow.

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son uses Jay Rob Whey Protein shakes and we use Satchmo (cats claw) also. He is doing well on both. We do mix C buff powder in the drink along with cod liver oil. He hates the taste but we say to your health and he downs it!

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesly
Member # 8528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried the anti-yeast diet on and off....usually for 3 months without noticing a difference....is 3 months too short?

Susan

Posts: 92 | From Shepherdstown, WV | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lydie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already told you about this, but here goes. If your burning is from yeast, you probably need fluconazole for 1-2 months at higher doses, as well as longer-term Nystatin. Plus very potent probiotics such as Custom Probiotics. The diet is good for prevention and certainly helps healing, but is not enough for a big problem that has been around awhile.

As for diet, when you have yeast in your digestive tract, they burrow in and cause you gut to become porous or "leaky." Toxins and food proteins go directly into your bloodstream, rather than through the usual filtering system, and basically this causes food allergies, even in people who have never had any before.

In turn, both the yeast and the reactions to food cause inflammation and pain. Then you are in a cycle where everything makes everything else worse.

So, rather than the "yeast diet," I would suggest an elimination diet. Work with someone on this, if it helps, such as a dietician or naturopath. Cut out wheat, corn, soy, peanuts, dairy, citrus, tomato, eggs.

This diet is different from the yeast diet in that you end up eating a lot of rice (and rice tortillas, rice crackers, rice cereal etc.). Rice, veggies, some fruits, some nuts, fish/poultry/meat, legumes are the basis for this diet. Avocados make a greatg spread.

In addition to the elimination diet, you would avoid cider, vinegar, anything with yeast (cheeses, which are eliminated anyway), and sweets, to discourage yeast.

When my daughter cut these foods out, the headache she had for two and a half years, that took her out of school for months, disappeared in 24 hours. She started peeing normally again, and lost inches of fluid/swelling all over.

Avoiding meds that interfere w/acid is good. Using vials of liquid gastrocrom, which reduces allergic inflammation, helped a lot, as did L-glutamine. The gastrocrom is by prescription.

My daughter was almost totally unable to eat 18 months ago, and was hospitalized. Her tummy hurt so much very time she ate that she just abut gave up eating. Now, after 6 months of this treatment, her GI system is normal, as far as I can tell.

She has added back eggs and soy so far. Still eating a lot of rice cakes!

Later, we will probably add Kyolic garlic and maybe caprylic acid, but everything is being done carefully, step by step. The gut lining can't heal until the yeast is killed, but then again the yeast will continue to thrive if the gut lining is inflamed.

Timing of different approaches to treatment is important, although I haven't totally figured out what the doctor is doing, all the time.

I know you have been suffering for a long time, and I hope that this could help you the way it has my child. Everyone is different, but it is worth a shot.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lydie is correct. The diet is important, but won't stop an established yeast problem.

I have done low carb for over two years, for a number of reasons, not just yeast. I definitely feel best while on it.

Low carb helps with hormone control, which reduces inflammation, helps normalize weight, and reduces the liklihood of yeast issues. Works for me.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement