LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cat with tick - now dying of kidney failure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cat with tick - now dying of kidney failure
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found an imbedded deer tick on my ten year old cat about 3 weeks ago. I freaked, carefully removed, but decided to not persue any treatment.

She started to become listless, not really eat, and went from a fat cat to very thin in 3 weeks. The vet couldn't see her over the holiday, but took her in Monday.

She's in total kidney failure. She's on IV fluids and antibiotics (Bactrim). Although I demanded a Lyme and coinfection test, they didn't run, but started abx right away. They say she shows signs of some type of infection. Even if she fights the infection, the kidney damage may be permanent - xrays show very tiny kidneys, which is what they see in MUCH OLDER cats.

I'm beside myself - I should have forced them to see her earlier.

Anyone heard of cats getting Lyme or other TBD? And what is the treatment protocol.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brodiemac
Member # 7232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brodiemac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done some searching but found little of help. Everything I read says that the key to recovery is early antibiotic treatment - so your vet is right to get your pet straight on abx. I saw at least 4 weeks abx mentioned in one article. Some articles seem to suggest that if the abx work, the effects appear quickly.

Sorry to have to say this but they also seem to suggest that kidney damage can be permanent if treatment is not started early enough in the course of the disease. You just have to hope that the kidneys will heal to some degree after the infection is controlled.

I am a cat owner and lover and know just how you must be feeling - thinking of you.

Brodie

Posts: 72 | From Scotland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofi
Member # 2346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our 9-year old Collie was bitten by a tick in August 1996. Some months later he couldn�t walk well. He got 2 week doksicycline and got better(we should have given much much longer abx treatment. Later his kidneys failed and finally he got paralyzed. He died in February 1997.

Now we hav a chihuahua and when she was bitten by a tick we treated her immediately with homeopathic Ledum 1M (1 pill every 15 minutes during an hour = 4 altogether. The following 3 days we gave her 1 pill 3x/day). She didn�t get Lyme, maybe she wouldn�t have got it anyway - who knows. Maybe it would be worth trying for your cat - won�t do any harm anyway.

One veterinarian said that he has treated all animals successfully with homeopathic Ledum. Unfortunately it doesn�t seem to work that well with all LB people.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - I have heard of cats getting Lyme, but very few and far between (wish we knew what immunities they have that WE don't have), so I don't know the treatment protocol. Don't beat yourself up for not pursuing immediate treatment. My cats have been bitten so many times I can't count, even though I use the flea and tick treatments.

Cats are low on the food chain and can hide illness extremely well and for a good long time. All cats who live to the age of 10 or 12 have some kidney damage by that time. Frequently, if they don't have heart problems or cancer, it's kidney failure that old cats die of. (Spoken by a veteran old cat "owner" though I think it's they who own us, actually.) With subcutaneous fluid treatments - a kind of cat dialysis - cats who are in frank kidney failure can actually live quite a while longer. You just have to know your cat well enough to decide if your cat is happy and would want this. Could be she will recover from whatever infection she has - kidney, tick-borne or other - and keep going. They are remarkable animals. Keep us posted if you will.

Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update? Eating lots and runnng around I hope.
Lets us know.......
Hugs,
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear your news, Julie.

This same thing happened to my cat, who was about 8 years old.

We live in the mountains in endemic area of California -- all of us exposed constantly to ticks.

My cat went off food, got really thin, began drooling, drool took on a pinkish tinge. Took him in to the vet. He was in complete kidney failure. Vet said only answer was a human equivalent of dialysis. Had to put him to sleep. Very sad.

I hope your kitty is not too late to save.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth my vet told us that cats don't get lyme disease like dogs do. A cat breeder told me that most things cats get sick from are genetic predispostions to that certain disease or infection. Most of her cats get something at 7 years or 10 years and if they live past that then 15 years.
I am sure it's not your fault. Kidney problems in a 10 year old cat are very common. I'm sorry for you and I'll be sending good thoughts today.

Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement