LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stephen Buhner's regimen for babesia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stephen Buhner's regimen for babesia
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Buhner suggests using Artemisinin and red root tincture for Babesiosis.

Red Root Tincture is supposed to reduce clotting time and has been used for heavy menstrual bleeding.

Many of us with chronic infections and inflammation have excess clotting through excess fibrin.

I wonder how safe taking Red Root Tincture would be for us, especially as some have (or may have) genetic clotting defects.

Any opinions?

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uma
Member # 7064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wondered about this point myself.for me,if i will do 3-6 months of allergy research group artemisinin,when/if i need to deal with babs.i am not clear if i have it or not.my lyme friend,jim d.,has started on very strong,allergy research group super artemisinin,and he is herxsing a lot.my doc, says the best way to tell if you have babs,is to take artemisinin for a month,100-200 mg 2x a day and see if you herx.if you do keep going for 3 months at least.taking it with grapefruit juice.some docs cycle folks on and off it,for some reason.
Posts: 32 | From northern ca. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am wondering why on people on artemisinin take grapefriut juice with it?

I have a hard time with citris with my stomach and wondered how important it is to take artemisinin with grapefuit and why ?

take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a clotting problem, such as clotting too much, then it probably would NOT be good to take Red Root. Stick to the Artemisinin and the proper abx instead.

Buhner states in his book that Red Root is an exceptionally strong blood coagulant.

Also states, however, that no side affects have been noted, but also states that it is contraindicated for those using coagulants or aniticoagulants or in pregnancy.

Havn't heard anything on the grapefruit juice thing.

Jim [hi]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pak J Pharm Sci. 2005 Oct;18(4):45-57. Related Articles, Links

You might want to read this abstract, but there are many studies re grapefruit juice and how it interacts with the metabolism of some substances

Nelly

Grape fruit juice-drug interactions.

Arayne MS, Sultana N, Bibi Z.

Department of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270. [email protected]

Grapefruit juice can markedly augment oral drug bioavailability was originally based on an unexpected observation from an interaction study between the dihydropyridine calcium channel antagonist, felodipine, and ethanol in which grapefruit juice was used to mask the taste of the ethanol. Subsequent investigations showed that grapefruit juice acted by reducing presystemic felodipine metabolism through selective post-translational down regulation of cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) expression in the intestinal wall. Since the duration of effect of grapefruit juice can last 24h, repeated juice consumption can result in a cumulative increase in felodipine AUC and C(max). Clinically relevant interactions seem likely for most dihydropyridines, terfenadine, saquinavir, cyclosporin, midazolam, triazolam and verapamil and may also occur with lovastatin, cisapride and astemizole (Guo et al., 2000). The high variability of the magnitude of effect among individuals appeared dependent upon inherent differences in enteric CYP3A4 protein expression such that individuals with highest baseline CYP3A4 had the highest proportional increase. At least 20 other drugs have been assessed for an interaction with grapefruit juice metabolism mediated by CYP3A4 appear affected by grapefruit juice. Clinically relevant interactions seem likely for most dihydropyridines, terfenadine, saquinavir, cyclosporin, midazolam, triazolam and verapamil and may also occur with lovastatin, cisapride and astemizole. The importance of these interactions appears to be influenced by individual patient susceptibility, type and amount of grapefruit juice and administration-related factors. Although in vitro findings support the flavonoid, naringin, or the furanocoumarin, 6', 7'-dihydroxybergamottin, as being active ingredients. A recent investigation indicated that neither of these substances made a major contribution to grapefruit juice-drug interactions in humans (Guo et al., 2000).

PMID: 16380358 [PubMed - in process]

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Nelly's abstract points out- grape fruit juice is an inhibitor of one the metabolic pathways: 3A4, 5 and 7 .

Some Docs- that know what they're doing- will prescribe an inhibitor of a specific pathway along with another drug that interacts with it to cause a synergistic, additive or cumulative effect - but that should really be monitored as toxicity issues can arise in some people.

Here's an excellenent site which should be read if you suspect Babesia or Malaria.

http://www.malariasite.com/malaria/Bleeding.htm

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bpeck. Great site. Confirms my feeling that I also have babesia. I didnt realize it too comes with many differing symptoms. I have quit a few and will talk this over at my next LLMD appt.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious about the use of a coagulant when it comes to lyme.

I believe many of us have thick blood to begin with as a symptom of lyme...some use anticoagulant meds like heparin to thin it out some...

I think a coagulant would be contraindicitive for we lymies...

Just a thought..zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for the grapefruit juice is NOT to increase the uptake in this case. Go to my site, Protocols, Klinghardt Protocol and read about it there. It is discussed in his article. Thanks

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Scott,

Yes, that's right, I remember reading about this now but I had forgotten. Something to do with an enzyme that progressively disables the artemisinin in the gut and the grapefruit juice stops this enzyme from being produced, so that one can keep on using the artemisinin.

But in my case, I have found that the artemisinin keeps on producing herxing (or whatever you want to call it) well over the 3 week period in which the art is supposedly destroyed by this enzyme. In fact the effect of art just seemed to get stronger over time when I was using it. And I was using less than what Klinghardt and Buhner suggest for eg.

In fact I just re-read the bit in Buhner's book about the use of artemisinin for babesiosis and I am finding it strange that he should say that there no side-effects with artemisinin except digestive when used at high doses. For me it was the hardest drug I took, harder than Lariam and harder than atovaquone (Mepron), harder than minocycline, harder than tinidazole.

Nelly

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Nellypoints for posting this article.

Unfortunately my lyme brain can't figure the science of it.

I wish I could understand the grapefruit thing.
Could not figure out if taking grapefuit with art is a good thing

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Artimisinin (Holley pharmaceuticals) at 100mg 3x a day, and pulsed it..
4 days on and 3 off.

I did that based on their research on Artimisinin tx in cancer and malaria, and the fact that Artimisinin blood concentrations drop precipitously after 3 days.

Tracking my symptoms and fever responses, I saw that to be true in my experience as well..

I wonder if this enzyme reaction has to do with that drop? And if the pulsing may preclude the need for grapefuit seed extract? (I also felt pulsing tricked the parasite nicely, as Artimisinin works great on what's in the blood, and we know that Babs buds out of certain tissues and repopulates..
the idea was to keep hitting the new born population in the RBC's.

Anyway, after trying Riamet (to great effect in my case, but symptoms relapsed after each course I tried - note - I believe I had a resistant case due to many months on Mepron and other
anti-M's) ..
So, I then went to Artimisinin, pulsed as described above..
and within 6 months, my babesia symptoms were gone, and have not returned in over a year and a half. I was doing other things, such as diet, Sarsparilla tea and some other supports..
however, I kept a careful log of fever tracking, bloodwork, and symptoms that tracked along with my Artimisinin protocol.

Just my experience.....

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks Scott
I went to your webb site & tryed to understand the aricle;

My lyme brain isn't working this week

So is it good to take a glass of grapefriut with the art?

I took a glass this morning but now am concerned it may counter act with my abx I take along with the art.

Thanks

--------------------
5dana8

CLC
Member # 7112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don't know what to think about Artemisinin. I took it for months and it did absolutely nothing -- I continued to deteriorate.

Actually, it DID do something. It elevated my liver enzymes!

All the while I was on tons of IV and oral antibiotics, my liver enzymes remained normal. Months later when I was on no antibiotics, but was taking Artemisinin, my liver went haywire.

Can someone explain that?

Posts: 81 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Sorry to be so stupid still:

Does anyone know yes or no if it is good to take grapefruit juice with the art?

I am also taking art,biaxin,doxy,plaq,tindamax,nystatin

--------------------
5dana8

JimBoB
Unregistered

Nelly:
WHAT do you mean by HARDER?

From what I have read in Buhner's book on Healing Lyme, Artemisinin seems to have the MOST side affects of all the herbs I have read about.

He states: SIDE EFFECTS: Artemisinin in high doses can cause gastrointestinal upset -- loss of appetite, nausea, cramping, diarrhea, vomiting. Very high doses (5000 mg a day of artemisinin for three days) have caused liver inflammation. It resolves upon discontinuing the herb.

Contraindications: Should be used with caution in pregnancy, especially in the first trimester.

Of all the herbs I take, none have these many minus indications.

This is one herb I would be careful to follow the instructions carefully and keep monitering HOW you feel while doing so.

Jim [hi]

JimBoB
Unregistered

Dana:
Sounds like you are pretty drugged out. [Wink]

Maybe you need to know WHAT the grapefruit juice will do with all the other DRUGS you are taking too.

Sorry, I don't have any help for you on WHAT the grapefruit juice can do. I just know my wife can not drink grapefruit juice. I like it.

Jim. [hi]

nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

> WHAT do you mean by HARDER?

Brain-blowing headaches that went on for weeks until I stopped in fact.

And BTW, artemisinin is not "a herb", it is the active ingredient in the plant, Artemesia annua. So in fact it is a drug, and a very poweful one against malaria for eg, it also has anti-cancer properties according to some studies.

And yes we are in agreement, Stephen Buhner states that the side effects to be expected when using artemisinin are gastro-intestinal, but my experience is different.

Nelly

CLC
Member # 7112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dana...

Yes. Grapefruit is good to take with Artemisinin. It's supposed to help keep away some enzyme in the stomach that makes the Art ineffective. I was told that even with the grapefruit juice though, you should use Art for 3 weeks, then off one week.

As far as the other things you're taking, Google each one for the prescribing information/contraindications. If grapefruit juice is contraindicated with any of them, it should tell you.

Yes - grapefruit juice IS recommended with Art.

-Connie
[hi]

Posts: 81 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Hey Connie
You put it simple terms my simple brain can understand
Thank you very much. [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement