LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEED INFO TO SUPPORT ANTIBIOTICS FOR TREATMENT OF LYME! INSURANCE DENIES!! HELP!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED INFO TO SUPPORT ANTIBIOTICS FOR TREATMENT OF LYME! INSURANCE DENIES!! HELP!!
BBWagoner
Member # 8221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBWagoner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
posted 24 January, 2006 10:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I posted last week regarding the fact my insurance is not going to cover for our family to see Dr. C a LLMD. We have had no change in our insurance plan. Last year my husband and I were covered 100% to see him. I appealed and we got approval to see him. Then in Nov they gave me approval for my two children to see him..

Then after the new year they are stating they will not cover for us to see this doctor. Of course I called after the new year and got approval and we went to see Dr. c all four of us and now they are saying they will not cover that visit or any others. So of course I am arguing this.

Now they are stating that antibiotics are expeirmental. When has treating a bacterial infection with antibiotics experimental?? So What I need is information to support the fact treatment with antibiotics is NOT experimental!

I figured some of you have gone through this very same thing so I need all the help I can get! IT shouldnt be this hard to get covered for LYME disease!! This disease needs to be more well know to others!

So my argument is that they have already started to cover for me and my husband 100% and how can they stop midstream after already covering. That would be like stopping treatments midstream if you have cancer.. Crazy they shouldnt be able to do that..

They have been covering 100% for me since May 2005, and for my husband July 2005. And there has been no change in our plan! I think they should continue to cover for us and our two children!!

So there reasons for not covering now is that antibiotics are experimental. That Dr. C treatment is experimental?!?!?!? I will not let this go without a fight.

If anyone has information that I could use to support coverage to see this doctor please send this way.

I am doing much better but my children and husband are having some problems. And they really need to see him. With all four of us seeing him.. The visits can be quite costly.

I just feel that they have covered they cant just drop us just like that!

We got approval from them and They should have to hold to there word!!

Any information please send my way!!

[email protected]

Posts: 61 | From ILLINOIS | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is frustrating to have coverage denied. We pay our doc out of pocket but our drugs are covered.

There are conditions in which long term abx use is accepted by insurance companied.

Acne is one. It is always listed as our diagnosis. Other things are listed from time to time as meds need to change. It seems so strange, but these are the rules so we get treated for acne. We have great skin!

I don't mean to make light of our plight. I just didn't have the energy to fight so we worked within the rules.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see my post in general support about insurance appeals. I included a letter there that went to my insurance company. They used that line too "experimental". NOT.

LymeTimes has an insurance issue that is also very helpful.

www.lymetimes.org

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read many times on this board that the insurance company's are denying coverage.

I also have read alot of post of people fighting it out with them and winning.

It will take some extra time & patience.

You might want to go to the top of the page and click on search and type in insurance and or insurance denials,ect..

Here's one that caught my eye;

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=030280

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each state has an Insurance Commissioners office and within this office is a consumer division that is there specifically to help you.

Call them and ask them how to handle this. They are working for you and will be glad to guide you in this matter. They can advise you of any rights you may have and it won't cost you a dime.

I have 25 yrs in the insurance field, not in health insurance but in property and casualty.

Believe me, insurance companies quake in fear when they receive a complaint from the insurance commissioner's office. They always have to respond with a "good and valid" reason for their position.

I don't know if you have a valid complaint here or not, but the insurance dept will know and if you have the option, they will tell you how to file your complaint.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was my experience that the state insurance commission would not get involved until I exhausted all appeals with my insurance company.

Keep writing letters back to the insurance company. Send them FedEx so you know that they got signed for. Document that they got signed for (you can track it online). Keep copies of everything that you send to you insurance company.

7 out of 10 people give up and give in when the insurance company says that they won't pay. Then the insurance keeps their money. They are counting on you to give up and not write.

So, surprise them and write!

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana's got a great list there........

I found this also.... truemanlaw.com
The treatment is experimental. This is the approach that companies take whenever some treatment may not be commonplace. This is specifically the case in relation to approving treatment for bone marrow transplants for a variety of cancers.

Often the managed care contract will have specific exclusions for specific types of treatments. This is more easily done than calling a treatment not medically necessary and presents more of a problem for the patient. Generally, the terms of the contract will determine what benefits are available and if the contract lists specific treatments that are unavailable there may be little to be done even if an attorney is helping.....(i doubt that is your case~PinchotGail)

And Cheryl's website Insurance info.

Long-Term or Repeated Antibiotic Treatment or Therapy for Lyme Disease- A bibliography with highlighted full abstracts

Gail
 -

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same response from my insurance co. IV is experimental. This is really frustrating since I pay $850 a month for my son and me to be covered.

So I sent in an appeal and got another denial. I am going to PM the rest. Bottom line, I just paid $3700 for 1 month of Primaxin. Ouch. I will only do one month at this cost. They also denied Home Health in mid stream and I cannot drive for weekly blood draws and I had to hire someone to take me.

There are enough obstacles. If I were on MS meds it would cost the ins co. $1200 a month. Ironic.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

aliyalex~

At least with my insurance company...you could have an independent person look at your appeal...once the company thoroughly denied you. Just because they denied you a second time, doesn't mean you are out for good. I would keep at it....at least if you want them to pay.

Check your policy...or with your insurance company...

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
timaca

Every state has different laws governing insurance.

BBWagoner

Check with your insurance commissioners office to see what options you have.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBWagoner:
EVERY treatment for Lyme IS experimental. IT HAS to be for the insurance companies.

THEY have seen the handwriting on the wall, and KNOW what kinds of BILLIONS of dollars this is going to cost them in the future, IF and once it is considered "normal" and mainstream to treat Lyme.

We MUST remember, LYME is in epidemic proportions already.

We ALSO must remember, that SOMEBODY has to PAY the insurance companies. GUESS who is elected to do so in actually. US of course. Even IF our employers do so, WE are still the ones doing it, because IF they did not have to pay OUR insurance,
they could pay US more for a decent wage, or better wage.

We must also remember, that the insurace companies are in it for one reason, and one reason ONLY; and that is to make as MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE. Period. And the LESS they pay US, the MORE for their pockets. Correct?

THEY are run a lot like our government, only have learned HOW to make money better.

I had to bite the bullet and sell of some of my possessions here as I have NO insurance. BUT I also have to exclude the super expensive newer abx. However the way I have come up with getting around faster cures with the expensive abx is to use many, good herbs along with more common abx. Keeping the abx to a minimum also should help from screwing up my personal "ecosystem" quite as bad.

AND we need to build up our immune system for future needs.

Just MO.

JIM. [hi]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement