LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bright MRI of the brain with white matter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bright MRI of the brain with white matter
KevinT
Member # 8682

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KevinT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would one have a bright MRI of the brain with white matter?

[ 27. January 2006, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: KevinT ]

Posts: 9 | From Lisbon Falls, Maine | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard that phrase used before.

However, with heavy contamination with some metallic or organo metalic compounds the MRI "brightness" will be altered. Also gadolinium compounds are used to injected and used to detect tumours. These then become very "bright" objects if present.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
t1 mri = lesions, tissue loss look dark

t2 or bright mri = lesions, tissue loss looks white or bright

gadolinium or contrast mri = active lesions are bright (in t2 can't tell if lesions are active or from past)

so t2/bright mri is what most people here who've had mri's have had. no big deal at all, just a lot of banging...

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamnTics
Member # 8667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamnTics     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to my knowlege (which isnt' much) the white matter are damaged areas of brain tissue where demyelination has occoured. although I have never heard it phrased the way that you say it. Usually they are refered to as "areas of increase signal intensity" or something similar.

hope it helps

Posts: 19 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My MRI showed small "unidentified bright spots" nine years before I was diagnosed with Lyme.
The neurologist wasn't concerned. Of course, she also thought that my unrelenting migraines were "rebound headaches."

At the time, I was doing alot of reading, as I thought there was something else wrong with me besides fibromyalgia, and I came across something that said that people with chronic fatigue syndrome often had unidentified bright spots in the brain.

These are small areas of damage.
Another MRI nine years after the first showed only one spot.

What did your MRI show?
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slm214
Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slm214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering if they are referring to a gadolinium enhanced lesion. Did they give you an MRI with contrast? You know you have had contrast because they started an IV before the MRI.

Every radiologist has their own phraseology. I have now had 12 MRIs and each one is different.

If you do have a lesion, you need to know where in the brain it is. Which lobe, etc? Anything that is periventricular or by the corpus callosum is of concern.

You also want to know the size and the shape of the lesion. If it is larger than 5mm, it is of concern. Also, is it ovoid in shape?

Make sure you get very specific detail from your neurologist or doctor that ordered the MRI. You also want the radiologist's report and the actual MRI for your records.

They use these markers to determine MS.

Three of the following criteria are currently used to make an MS diagnosis from an MRI:

1 gadolinium enhancing lesion or 9 T2 lesions

1 juxtacortical lesion

1 infratentorial lesion

3 periventricular lesions

Now, Lyme causes many of these same lesions. However, most neurologists do not have that information and do not believe it. Look at some work published by Dr. Galletta who compared the similarity of MS and Lyme lesions on an MRI.

Good luck!

Posts: 23 | From Phoenix, AZ US | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevinT
Member # 8682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the MRI done because I was having deep nagging eye pain for about a year. I grew up on the North Folk of Long Island NY. Just miles from Lyme CT. Back in 1972 I remember the bulls eye rash. Playing with other kids it was pointed out hey it looks like a bulls eye. Cool I thought. Since then I was sick with Pneumomia or broncits two or four times a year during my high school years. At 23 was learing to read EKG the teacher took me aside and said to have my T-Wave checked out. Heart Dr. said it was fine. At 24 went to hospital becaue of heart palpitations told was panic attack. At age 31 I was dyslexic? At age 32 arthitis was DX. Was HLA-B27+ I have been tested for Lyme many times came up neg- so I was not treated. I never knew that lyme can be so painful. I also never knew that the error rate was so high. So in short the MRI came back normal obits of the eye. However white matter and very bright MRI was seen. My Family Dr said that I am depressed. Rheumatology Dr. said that it is stress. I just went to a LLMD. Waiting for the tests to come back. I have been suffering for a long time. At its worst I pray God just take me. Not to worry you. I would not harm myself. But if you ever had the pain you know what I mean.
Posts: 9 | From Lisbon Falls, Maine | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a white matter lesion on my brain too that showed up on MRI w/contrast. Correct, its demyelination from the Lyme, more then likely. Sometimes treatment makes them go away. This is why so many of us have been diagnosed with MS.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin:
If the Lyme bacteria invade the nerves to the eyes, all kinds of problems result.
Lyme can cause all kinds of mental health problems, including depression, panic attacks, attention deficit, tics, and obsessive compulsive.

A bullseye rash is now considered definative when diagnosing Lyme.

Yes, unrelenting pain can make life feel like not worth living.
I referred myself to a neurologist, who put me on Zoloft to try to stop the migraines. It didn't stop them, but it raised my pain threshold, so they "didn't hurt as much."
At the same time, I referred myself to a rheumatologist, because I thought I might have arthritis. He diagnosed fibromyalgia. The Zoloft also seemed to help the fibromyalgia pain a little. Not that the rheumy would have thought of that, hah.

It is a crime that doctors cannot diagnose obvious cases of Lyme. And that the testing is so poor.

What happened that you decided to go to an LLMD?
I'm curious, because very few people figure this out on their own.
I finally pursued a Lyme diagnosis because of another person with fibromyalgia who turned out to have Lyme.

I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult time. This disease is ruining the lives of so many people.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement