LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 98% back to normal. Do I continue for 100%

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 98% back to normal. Do I continue for 100%
flowersmile
Member # 7447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flowersmile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I haven't been on this site for so long, but everyone has always been so helpful when I do visit. I am in my 15th month of treatment of various oral abx. The good news is that I feel great. I would say that I am 98% back to normal! My LLMD says 100% is very possible in may case and has suggested the next phase of ABX (Clindamycin and Quinine, rotated with Biaxin and Plaquenil)to wipe out what is left. The fact sheet on Clindamycin looks very scary. I am currently on Flagyl, and thought that it had done all it could, but I now feel that it may still be working. Hard to put all my questions in writing but here goes.

I have been on Flagyl for 5 1/2 months. Anyone been on it this long, or longer with continued improvement?

I have had some very mild blurred vision type stuff. Seems like peripheal blurriness, but if I blink my eyes it goes away. I know ABX will change the flora in eyes. Is this all it is, or could ABX be damaging my eyes.

Fact sheet on Clindaycin talks about severe, rarely fatal, intestinal problems. Is this as scary as it sounds? I am so close to 100% don't want to cause permanent damage with ABX. But, in same breath, so close to normal, I don't want to leave any seed to grow, so to speak.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Flowersmile

Posts: 12 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How wonderful to read that you are feeling so much better!

I don't know the answer to your question......but wanted to let you know my hubby had vision problems before he ever started treatment. He also had blurry vision at times while on Doxy and then Zith. So far, for him, it's just been problems that lasted a few minutes, and then was gone.

I think it's part of the ABX working.....??

How has your Flagyl experience been? Hubby just started it this week.

Again, so glad you are feeling so good! Encouraging to read...!

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy are you FORTUNATE; we envy you.

Please help us chronic lymies by haing shorter paragraphs of 6-8 lines of text and DOUBLE space inbetween so we can read/comrehend them...thanks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no problems with clindamycin. Of course, that doesn't necessarily apply to other people, since we all seem to react differently.

The thing that more people have trouble with is quinine, but some on this forum have used it.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful to hear. I have no experience w/the abx you may be taking, but I've already decided that once I get to the point that I can get off of abx, I'm going to continue taking herbal remedies I've read about on this website.

I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Clindamycin for a long time and I had no problems at all with it.

Just be sure to take lots of probiotics with it as it can cause yeast overgrowth. But other abx can also do this.

Congrats to your 98% !!! [woohoo]

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My instinct is to follow what your LLMD recommends at this point, despite your fears. Talk it over with him/her.

In all honesty, 98% is NOT 100%.....and I would keep at it for sometime after acheiving that 100%.

So glad you have come so far~!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had some vision problems while on flagyl so it may be the drug itself. He said things seemed "far away". It cleared when he stopped flagyl.
Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did I.V. flagyl and clindamycin for 5 months. All I got was a raging systemic yeast infection and fatigue (and lost 30 pounds), but no major herxes or eye problems.

Make sure you lay off sugar and keep taking probiotics. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 9016 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't been on the site for a while, you will not believe the rapid pace of change that has set in. While you may not be thrilled at the idea of reading through the past year's posts, it's worth your time and energy, because the treatments for nearly every problem have been overhauled.

Since we all have different issues, not everyone gets excited about the same new treatments. But I was disabled for four years, changed abx a year ago because of various Lymenet discussions, and now appear to be free of Lyme, mycoplasma and bartonella. The only one left is babesia. This was unthinkable a year ago.

For me, flagyl was covering up the bartonella. Once the flagyl was removed, the bart returned with a vengeance, but went into remission after five months of rifampin and ketek. Watch out for the herx, though.

The Lyme has responded so far to omnicef and ketek. No symptoms in over two months.

The babesia, oy vey. Read through the past month's posts, and you'll find a huge debate. But there's a lot of new stuff. No abx is the last hope anymore.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin and Plaquenil would be doing what flagyl is doing--cyst busting, so i am not sure why the LLMD wants to double up that way...maybe b/c plaq gets the cysts in a different way than flagyl?

I am on Plaquenil and amoxy and probenicid. It is kickin my butt. I have muscle pains that I havent had in a YEAR. Hoping it is reaching the chetes, but worried it ISNT, ya know?

Too soon to tell.

I was treated in 2001 and got about 95% better before stopping the ABX....had no symptoms for almost 4 years then MAJOR relapse last year out of NOWHERE. Was excercising, working, even completed a triathlon...but it still came right back in.

So IMO---I would stay the course. Try the new treatments, if you don't like how you feel, you know you can stop and that you will be better off than you were 15 mo's ago!

Inspiration for us all!
Thank you.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Push for the 100%. The better you are, the better your immune system will control whatever keets are left after you become totally asymptomatic. The visual issues can also sometimes be a result of the bacteria residing in the area of the eyes, and that should be considered seriously.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it. Why stop now?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyers999
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyers999     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flower,

Glad to hear your treatment has been so successful. Plaquenil has been known to affect the eyes. Some docs require their patients to get an eye exam before prescribing it. If I were you I'd see an Optometrist and get their opinion before starting Plaquenil.

--------------------
Jack

Posts: 385 | From South New Jersey, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flowersmile
Member # 7447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flowersmile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone who responded. Helpful as always [Smile] . I will plan to get my eyes checked before starting the next round of ABX. And then go for 100%. Good luck to everyone else!

Thanks Flowersmile

Posts: 12 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would if everything is running normal liver etc Keep Treating at least another six months alternating abx's that worked especially flagyl on and off.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement