LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sleep Apnea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep Apnea?
Ntlc13
Member # 4197

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ntlc13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else have this condition and also have Lyme or any of the co-infections? Since someone said that they also have ashtma? Just wondering?
Posts: 27 | From Halethorpe, MD | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, sleep apnea & restless leg syndrome dx 12-04.

NO co-infections

have respiratory problems similar to asthma

Suggest you do a search of this topic...many posts about this before & replies...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Jemsek from Carolinas writes that LD causes sleep apnea and most, if not all, patients are affected. As I understand all his patients are getting sleep study once they are diagnosed with LD.

I certainly have sleep apnea.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
researcher
Member # 8687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for researcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My partner and I are patients of Dr. Jemsek. Neither of us received a sleep apnea test so I don't believe it is standard protocol at his clinic to have this test administered upon diagnosis.

--------------------
Tania

Posts: 13 | From Charlotte NC | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I merely reported what he wrote.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a positive IgeneX IgG and am waiting to see a LLMD. I have sleep apnea, diagnosed 2 years ago. Been 100% compliant on CPAP and don't feel any better at all, in fact I feel worse now then I did when I started treatment with CPAP.
Regards,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with Apnea about 5 years ago. It was about the same time I was beginning to get other symptoms that were found to be Lyme three years later. I've often wondered if they were connected. I have had a CPAP machine now for the past five years and use it every night, for me its made a big difference.
Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an old thread, but its relevant to an issue of mine.

Not every night, but maybe half the nightts a week, I seem to get sleep apnea. It will last for a good hour or so while I'm trying to fall asleep...eventually it stops and I don't wake up til the morning unless I'm unaware of waking up at other times.

I find that the nights I take klonopin I don't get it, and if I am getting it bad and need to go to sleep klonopin helps me.

Anyone else have any other advice? I'm going to be looking into a sleep clinic.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elley, you won't know how bad your sleep apnea is until you get a sleep study.

I had no idea I had sleep apnea. Asked for the study when everyone told me I had fibromyalgia. Didn't think anything would turn up.

Woke up 183 times in a 5 hour period, and didn't even know it. You wake up for just a split second because you stop breathing, and then go back to sleep and don't have memory of it.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] goodness. I'm hoping insurance will cover it.
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my BCBS covered it but required 2 separate nights of doing this vs. 1st night find out you DO have apnea and then put you on a CPAP machine to find out what level you need. Each night was between $7500 - $10,000!

Mine showed me with I always said, I can't reach level 4, delta, where my body heals & body rejuvenates making you feel refreshed when getting up. I get NO LEVEL 4.

Came back Monday from allergist spec. Dr. Kroker, LaCrosse, Wisc. We discussed briefly my apnea and my full-face mask but I can't use the CPAP machine. Every night I "plug up" and can't breath out of my nose so it does me NO GOOD. he totally agreed.

Maybe now that I have an under the tongue allergen for my 12 types of mold allergies, dustmites, pollen, grass, trees, ragweed; may be NOW I'll be able to breath when I sleep at night.

Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful when shopping around for this.

If insurance pays, great.

If not, I had mine done in my home.

If done in the hospital it would have cost me $3500. The home sleep study cost $800.

Betty is right, you need two. The first tells you if you have apnea, and, like she said, are you getting all stages of sleep, restorative, etc.

Then, if you do have apnea, they have to do a second one because they have to titrate the air pressure on the CPAP machine you will be using.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD & sleep MD feel Lyme causes sleep disorders, RLS & a fragmented sleep quality.

Sleep apnea is caused by a structural airway obstruction or collapse. They both don't believe Lyme can cause apnea.

I had 3 sleep studies but no apnea. Sleep Md was baffled as my sleep quality was so poor, lots of RLS, no REM or 4.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also with my continuous new diagnosis, ALLERGIES are a big problem too causing us NOT to sleep, caughing at night & blowed up nose like me.
Bettyg

polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme can cause two types of apnea...central and regular apnea...so when getting a sleep test they can se that ....eric
Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

quote:
Originally posted by Foggy:
My LLMD & sleep MD feel Lyme causes sleep disorders, RLS & a fragmented sleep quality.

Sleep apnea is caused by a structural airway obstruction or collapse. They both don't believe Lyme can cause apnea.

I had 3 sleep studies but no apnea. Sleep Md was baffled as my sleep quality was so poor, lots of RLS, no REM or 4.

actually there are 2 types of apnea. One is obstructive, the more common one.

The other is central sleep apnea, in which the part of your brain that controls your breathing when you sleep malfunctions and you stop breathin for seconds at a time through out the night.

Snoring is rare with central apnea. Lyme can cause this since it affects the central nervous system. It didn't get this until my Lyme started back.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement