LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » pregnant / birth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant / birth
Crabby
Member # 6804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had posted many conerns and questions while I was pregnant and felt that I should now post after having given birth.... just wanted to let the community know that I gave birth to a wonderful, HEALTHY baby boy in November! Yay!! I was SO worried about passing on Lyme, but it seems as though I have not. I have been infected for 12 years, but was not diagnosed until 10 years into it, so obviously I have not been able to rid myself of the lovely disease. that being said, we didn't know if we would have children, but I got pregnant unexpectedly and I am happy to say it all worked out well! I did start treatment of amoxicillin at 7 months and contiunue to take that while breastfeeding. Every part of me from placenta to breast milk was tested as was my son's blood and foreskin.... all negative except for one coinfection in the placenta (but not in the cord or in him). we will of course keep him monitored, but I wanted to at least post this in case anyone else is going through what I did. Not many people supported me about having the baby or breastfeeding, so I wanted to make sure there is at least one postive blurb out there in case you are going through this. Hope everyone is having a great day and please feel free to respond if you have similar experiences or any advice. thanks!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to hear that you and your baby are doing so well.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nukegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6809

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Nukegirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Your post has given me hope that I too can conceive. I was diagnosed in 02/05 and I am still taking Ceftin. I just turned 34 and hubby and I have been trying for 2 years. I am so sick of having problems...anything from a rash to some kind of weird pain. I just want to conceive. We made an appt with a fertility doc and are first consulation is 03/03/05. I have regular cycles and my gyn says everything looks fine although I have never had a workup. Thank you for this inspiring hopeful post and I will not give up the faith. Congratulations to you and GOD BLESS!! [Smile]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing.

I am 34 and hopeful to concieve as well some day...

Congradulations on your healthy little boy!! [Smile]

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats and thanks for letting us know!
 -

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats really great!
Good for you for being a good mother and doing all the tests!! Just curious, I know your busy, but how come you started at 7 months with the Amoxicillin vs. the beginning of pregnancy?

Glad you are both okay!!!! Congratulations! [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crabby
Member # 6804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for some reason the 7th month is when the risk begins to be the highest to the fetus... not sure I understand why though!
Seems to me it would be from the beginning too...? anyone else know? It was all so overwhelming that I didn't remember to ask every question I should to the Dr, but I did get that the risk was the highest then, so I took the meds as told...

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mlaven323
Member # 8179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mlaven323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What wonderful news. You are truely blessed!
Enjoy your little bundle of "boy" joy! [Wink]

Posts: 89 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think the 1st trimester would be the most critical. MOst illnesses in utero start in the first trimester. My LLMD said that they don't start abx until the 2nd or even 3rd trimester.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news! Congratulations!! [Smile] Be sure to keep a watchful eye for many years to come.

Thanks for coming here to tell us about it!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esthermax
Member # 8602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for esthermax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!(I also sent a PM.)
I was under the impression that it has been suggested from a few medical folks (LLMD's and others), that amox. is ideally to be taken from before conception through birth? Very interesting to hear a start at 7 mo.

I have wondered if taking amox while breast feeding would reduce the possible risk of transmission through breast milk. I have not found any info or any one willing to give an opinion on that. Crabby's post is the most i've heard regarding Lyme and breast feeding except for one medical journal article that didn't say much except-unknown-. Has anyone here found anymore info about this question?

Of course the official/typical response is that due to lack of info/research, they "wouldn't recommend it" because "Bb has been isolated in breast milk"
I know its a loaded issue. Strong opinions.

And I would be very interested in hearing more of what abx dosing and tx IS actually happening in the real world in a pregnant woman who has/had known Lyme, suspected, newly dx, chronic or otherwise.

There are a lot of Ladies With Lyme out there and
pregnancy happens.

I hope you don't find this rude but right now I'd rather not read about personal opinions on IF a woman with LD SHOULD have a baby or not on this thread.
My question is how to protect mother and child once the deed is done supposing these two things:
Positive pregnancy and positive Lyme in the same person.
Thanks and have a great day.

Posts: 18 | From mid-atlantic | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so happy when I hear good news out here. And what could be better than Momma having a beautiful, HEALTHY baby boy. Congratulations.

Deb

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement