LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Micheal Moore seeks Insurance Nightmares

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Micheal Moore seeks Insurance Nightmares
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all,

I know that I mostly lurk and that it's also off topic to share this but I see a small chance for some publicity here. I just recieved this from my mailing list and I thought I would share it for those of you who may be interested.

Many Blessings,

Julia Sudylo RN/CHT [hi]

2/3/06

Friends,

How would you like to be in my next movie? I know you've probably heard I'm making a documentary about the health care industry (but the HMOs don't know this, so don't tell them -- they think I'm making a romantic comedy).

If you've followed my work over the years, you know that I keep a pretty low profile while I'm making my movies. I don't give interviews, I don't go on TV and I don't defrost my refrigerator. I do keep my website updated on a daily basis (there's been something like 4,000,000 visitors just this week alone) and the rest of the time I'm... well, I can't tell you what I'm doing, but you can pretty much guess. It gets harder and harder sneaking into corporate headquarters, but I've found that just dying my hair black and wearing a skort really helps.

Back to my invitation to be in my movie. Have you ever found yourself getting ready to file for bankruptcy because you can't pay your kid's hospital bill, and then you say to yourself, "Boy, I sure would like to be in Michael Moore's health care movie!"?

Or, after being turned down for the third time by your HMO for an operation they should be paying for, do you ever think to yourself, "Now THIS travesty should be in that 'Sicko' movie!"?

Or maybe you've just been told that your father is going to have to just, well, die because he can't afford the drugs he needs to get better -- and it's then that you say, "Damn, what did I do with Michael Moore's home number?!"

OK, here's your chance. As you can imagine, we've got the goods on these crooks. All we need now is to put a few of you in the movie and let the world see what the greatest country ever in the history of the universe does to its own people, simply because they have the misfortune of getting sick. Because getting sick, unless you are rich, is a crime -- a crime for which you must pay, sometimes with your own life.

About four hundred years from now, historians will look back at us like we were some sort of barbarians, but for now we're just the laughing stock of the Western world.

So, if you'd like me to know what you've been through with your insurance company, or what it's been like to have no insurance at all, or how the hospitals and doctors wouldn't treat you (or if they did, how they sent you into poverty trying to pay their crazy bills) ...if you have been abused in any way by this sick, greedy, grubby system and it has caused you or your loved ones great sorrow and pain, let me know.

Send me a short, factual account of what has happened to you -- and what IS happening to you right now if you have been unable to get the health care you need. Send it to [email protected]. I will read every single one of them (even if I can't respond to or help everyone, I will be able to bring to light a few of your stories).

Thank you in advance for sharing them with me and trusting me to try and do something about a very corrupt system that simply has to go.

Oh, and if you happen to work for an HMO or a pharmaceutical company or a profit-making hospital and you have simply seen too much abuse of your fellow human beings and can't take it any longer -- and you would like the truth to be told -- please write me at [email protected]. I will protect your privacy and I will tell the world what you are unable to tell. I am looking for a few heroes with a conscience. I know you are out there.

Thank you, all of you, for your help and your continued support through the years. I promise you that with "Sicko" we will do our best to give you not only a great movie, but a chance to bring down this evil empire, once and for all.

In the meantime, stay well. I hear fruits and vegetables help.

Yours,
Michael Moore
[email protected]
www.michaelmoore.com

---
You are currently subscribed to Mike's Message as: [email protected]

To unsubscribe click on the link below:

http://go.netatlantic.com/u?id=43201939V&l=michaelmoore

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6789

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sooooooooooo purrrrrfect.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bow]
Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't want that idiot to touch our story.
Sorry, that's how much I distrust him.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I'm worried about with this is that people will REALLY think we're crazy if this guy goes after it.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They" already REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY think we are crazy.
 -

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Dr WA's take on this. I'm on the fence right now.

I agree we don't need to look crazy, and I also distrust MM.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=014462

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would be leery about focusing on Lyme in this film, fundementally, of course..
we should be in there.

I would suggest a caution and stepping back to think for a minute on thie one..

Personally, I like his films and he cuts to the heart of the matter, no doubt..
however this would be insurance focused.

My concern is the vulnerable and fledgling stages of the poitical movement to get federal backing and credibility..legislation.

I hate to even have to look at it this way (anyone who knows me would know I do not usually pale to activism [Razz] ), but it's something to consider, that we might loose all Republican consideration if we get highlighted through Moore. I know it's WRONG, but it may be the reality.

It would be very delicate as to how to present the story, to say the least. I would think something more like Open Eye is working on will be better for us.

In other words, on principal..absolutely..
on gaining solid ground in Lyme advocacy that produces results beyond some awareness, I'm not sure. It could work against that.

maybe...maybe not..
MAYBE if you just focused on insurance, I really don't know.........

Just something to carefully consider is all. IMO.

If I were considering it, I would ask the heavy hitters in Lyme advocay what they thought, becuase of the hugfe venue this is and the controversy surrounding his films, and how
(or if) to present Lyme in that context..

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

darn it MO you might be on to something there and that just plain sux. I am a liberal democrat and I am a politcal acitivist when I am not laid up and chatting on line, so I would jump (off the empire state building) at the chance to be a part of anything MM. But it DOES make a difference who tells the story.

Lyme isnt really a partisan issue and it could become one if MM is the story teller.

However, I am still gonna try to get him to tell MY story.

Reason: It wont happen right away and I will have lotsa time to think about the political ramifications.

DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear your point, Mo, honey - BUT...

IMO, Lyme is not a partisan issue - altho Lyme politics is sometimes far more ridiculous that bi-partisan politics ever dreamed of being.

So which 'heavy-hitters' in all the LD organizations are you wanting to ask? Because if you get them all in a room and try to get a consensus -- all you're gonna see is a bunch of people 'marking their territory' over who's gonna come out the top Lyme dog.

NO THANK YOU.

I understand that MM is controversial -- hence, his huge draw.

What, may I ask, are you afraid of?

You are afraid that by MM telling the story that we may come across as crazy?

NEWSFLASH -- Some of us ALREADY are thanks to this disease. [loco]

Are you afraid that by MM telling the story that the Republicans will not take us 'seriously' enough?

Well h*ll - NEITHER the Republicans nor the Democrats are taking us seriously enough RIGHT NOW because they DON'T HEAR US.

Why don't they HEAR US?

Because as a 'community' of SICKOS - we are far too sick & tired to repeatedly and loudly GET IN THEIR FACE and remind them over and over and over.

I know just writing a few posts and letters this week has literally kicked my *ss.

So you're telling me that you, and I, and all the rest of us are NOT going to be taken seriously if we have a big loud mouth speaking on our behalf?

Are our elected officials that d*mn shallow and heartless?

THIS IS AMERICA, d*mnit!

Do we need to pass a special "test" of some kind to determine WHO is SANE enough or POLITICALLY 'CORRECT' enough to speak out against such an injustice that has been visited upon OUR heads time after time?

Give me a freakin' d*mn break!

Anyway, by the time MM gets that movie made, this year's legislation will have either moved forward or died in committees - which if people around here don't start pulling their heads off their pillows and start contacting people - IT WILL DIE in the SUB-COMMITTES - and then we get to START ALL OVER next session.

So as far as THIS session of Congress - I think MM's involvement may be a moot point.

Next -- I forgot my next point! Been a helluva long day already and herxing like a big dog.

And YES, I feel bad enough now that I AM considering sticking my head in the toilet to see that if by flushing a lot - perhaps I may be able to drown myself and put myself outta today's misery. [toilet]

Wait. What else was I gonna say?

I honestly feel too badly today to care what smart*ss tells my story, and who he p*sses off in doing so.

What matters to me is that the story gets told; that PEOPLE START TO LISTEN - TO QUESTION - only then will we get closer to having them truly UNDERSTAND.

I choose not to cow down and shut up because I'm afraid I'll p*ss off a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian, or some wild-eyed Independent.

I freely admit that I am a novice when it comes to politics - which probably makes me average American citizen in that regard.

With that said, as that average American citizen I CAN recognize some of the controversial issues surrounding MM.

I CAN, despite all this bacteria raging thru my gray matter, still see that he is doing his part. He is doing MORE than his fair share in tryng to light a fire under our red, white, and blue butts -- trying to get us off the Lazy Boy long enough to make some much needed changes in this country - whateever they may be.

I know that many people have formed their opinion of MM based upon both their religious & political beliefs and I just think that people are not seeing that we can USE his big smart*ss mouth regardless of how we FEEL about him personally.

Besides, what's that expression?
Ain't no thing such as bad press?

IMO, we need all the d*mn press we can get right now. The 'legitimate' press doesn't seem to be saying much of anything SIGNIFICANT.

So if not MM, then WHO? WHO else is 'offering' right now? Should we all just wait around for Oprah to have pity on our souls?

Count me out of that long-*ss bread-line! I love the big O - but she's got her own agenda. And so far I don't see HER agenda and OUR agenda meshing.

In closing, I'm not really mad. Just feeling impassioned by this topic AND waiting for my ribs to start poking holes in vital organs.

I am actually p*ssed off from the overwhelming pain -- and I want the d*mn world to know about it!

This concludes DR. Wiseass's LYME RAGE.... [cussing] ...for now.

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my humble opinion:

But if we wait for someone "politically correct" to come along we could wait a very long time.As we have waited too long already.

How many million of americans rented"Bowling for columbine" or "Farhrengeit 9/11".I just don't think the average american even knows whats going on with lyme.

He loves the under dog and hates when the government, and politics in general screw with us.

This disease is political and nothing changes in politics without alot of stink.We need to rattle some cadges.

And I think he is just the man to do it.

I don't think the average american know's the first thing about lyme disease.

While we ring our hands and wonder "Is this man too much of a loose cannon" "Is he politically correct", how many of American will come down with lyme disease this year? How many will go undiagnosised? 200,000 - 400,000?

I am not going to wait wait untill they take away all our doctors and there is no one left to treat us.

I'm e-mailing him.

DO I want to rock the boat? You bet!The boat's sinking anyway,might as well rock it.

[ 03. February 2006, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Okay okay okay.

I think it was the ketes talking earlier, for reals.

I mean....you know how when you have yeast you crave sweats? It is the yeast talking...well,

It just might be that damn disease whispering things like "you really shouldn't jeopordize the hard work of the LDA and others who have tirelessly advocated for your rights....."

I stopped the meds, have been drinking detox tea, and am about to do my first coffeee enema. I am READY to take on the world baby.

Besides, I already emailed him this morning. And I intend to keep emailing every day I can turn on the computer.

Like I said, I can think more about the politics if I get IN the movie. Until then it's all about getting his ATTENTION!!!

thanks for waking me up folks!
Trails [sleepy]

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To anyone who is interested:

I am going to do a written ruff draft tommorow of the e-mail I want too send to MM.

I want to sound somewhat rational and not go on with my rambalings which I am prone to do ,not getting to the point ect..I am not good at being concise.

Should I stick to the topic of how hard it is to get medical coverage with the lyme stigma stamped on my records.?

Or how the "medical boards and insurance company's are trying to drum out of business the only LLD in the southeast who is willing to help me and many others?I won't us names of course.

Or should I go into more of a personal account?
My 20 year ordeal of being misdiagnosised,and the whole doctor shuffle.?

I just don't know how personal I should get .I am not good with words and may be able to get my husband to help me.

Any suggestions?

[ 03. February 2006, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...Doc SmartBooty -
we could get into a long debate as to whether this is America anymore..
but that would be OT. [spinning smile]

Seriously --

I was talking about looking at whether this would impede the advancements and work on the table already been done through years of blood, sweat and tears on our behalf.

Please consider whether it is really 'waiting around for them'..
as they have been working in the real world tirelesly 24/7.
There is allot to consider is all I am saying.
I alse have no clue what the long time activists would say about this.

I come from an entertainmenet and film background...and I have thought about this allot... not saying I know what to do in this instance, because I honestly do not. Something is just telling me to stop and think.

I was also talking about looking at where Open Eye (the documentary in progress) is at in progress and how it compares..as one of the producers is a Lyme patient and a member here.

I feel your rage, believe me..
totally!!..

The heavy hitters would to my mind be Pat Smith (LDA), EllenLuba (Voices of Lyme), and Phyllis Mervine of CALDA.
I can help you get their e-mails if you want.

At least worth a comminication with on this IMO, considering the potential impact of MM's movies and the cloud of very partisan controversy that follows him alone.. (tho I think that is unfair, he is a brilliant documentary filmmaker IMO). You can decide whether to take the Lyne 'leader's' advice or not, of course.

There is allot to consider and allot at stake for others, and whehter this would be good is beside the point... it couldn't hurt and might be prudent to step back and think on it a minute.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO he has no crediblity. I'm not the only one that finds his type radical. We need someone that is respected by the majority and he's not it.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what I think. The arguments on both sides are convincing!

There have been other situations where the issue is covered in a middle of the road polite way, while at the same time others less patient with the status quo were acting up. AIDS was this way, same with environmental issues. Probably others. Sometimes the off the wall types actually confer more credibility on the straight ones. As in "See, these people are taking action responsibly (the LDA, LDF, etc), so we will work with them, in order to avoid the radicals." Having radicals can sometimes make the other groups look more respectable.

Of course, there is the danger that all will be lumped together as nuts. OK, my judgement is a DEFINITE maybe on participating in this.

Another consideration is that Moore is going to be inundated with other kinds of stories of malfeasance, and this may be a tiny part, or even no part if he thinks the whole lyme thing is too complicated to explain in this venue, given that he is taking on the whole health care industry and he doesn't have days to do it, just an hour or two.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Any ideas on how to compose a dignified and rational letter explaing how the insurance company's have screw me over the years?

[loco]

--------------------
5dana8

lingolady
Member # 8042

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lingolady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether you like him or not, Michael Moore is just the man to get our cause out there. He's well-known and controversial and not afraid of anyone. He attracts his attention. People WATCH HIS FILMS, if only to talk about it at work the next day. But in watching, they'll LEARN.

Lingolady, who happens to be a big Michael Moore fan

Posts: 34 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Lingolady

Couldn't agree with you more!

--------------------
5dana8

trails
Member # 1620

who said it had to be rational?

Mine is not rational it is a daily diatrob..what is THAT word...on how I got to where I am today.

Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be my first book?

Just write something, and keep writing, it feels great to get it out!

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I think its Really Great what Michel
is doing -- he is a Very talented
film maker--

I have seen all his films --
and the TV shows he had titled --
-- TV Nation -- the shows
are Really Good --rent them

Rent-- Roger and Me ---

I have seen him speak live
4 times -- He is very good --
No notes No teleprompter --
2 Hours ---

Michel is not Just a regular guy --
at age 17 he ran for a city councle--
And Won -- He was and is the youngest
person to have done this in Michagan --

Micheal steppes on a Lot of Toes --
That Need to be Stepped On---

One movie was about-
(Reboc or Nike I dont remember which)

In this movie he took on the
giant shoe company for there
use of Sweat Shop Labor --

Kids 7 yrs old making shoes
12 hours a day 7 days a week-
-- 13 cents a hour--
Thousands of children --

Other workers perty much slaves too --

The company has straightend up
its act Now --

The owner of the companys wife
had read one of Michels books--
She (wife) gave her husband the
same book for Christmas present--
She made him read it--

Then the owner agreeded to the
interview with Michael ---
Im perty sure the owner is
Very Happy with how things went--

I used to live on the Mexican border
and I have seen Many sweat shops --
Its not pretty ---

Michael did a movie on the decline
in the US auto industry ---

Told about how US auto workers
are getting shafted --
because of Greed of owners--

I dont know about you but I
want to buy American made cars-
Made by Americans --

This give us jobs --your neibor --
sounds like a good idea to me--

In the news this week is news
about GM -Ford laying of 50 thousand
employies and cutting pensions
to thousands of other workers---

I wonder whose money is going to
take up the slack ?

Micheal is on the side of
the Little Guy--
-Everyone here is the Little Guy --

I have seen Micheal talk about
the medical movie he is makeing--

He is going to show how Large
pharmical compenies are
Ripping US Off---

Americans pay the Highest drug
prices in the world--over 10 times--

Sweaden has the Second Hightest
meds cost in the world--
There meds cost 75% Less than
the same med in US ---

I go to Mexico to by my meds--
The meds in Mexico are not Cheap-

The meds are the Same Price as in
the Rest of the World ---
Except US --

Bicillin --
US $48 each
Mexico $4 each (and they have it)

Bactrim DS- name Brand ( Roche )
Mexico 14 tablets $6 --(2 weeks)

Generic Bactrim DS
US -- 60 tablets $50
Mexico 60 tablets $9

Biaxin--Generic
US 60 tablets $400
Mexico 60 tablets $58

The 2 HMOs that I have been part of--
The Only thing they Treated was-
Me like Cattle ---

The Only HMO doctor I had that
was Good was a man who was
about 35-- and he knew
something Bad was wrong with me--

He sent me in for tests ---
HMO canciled all the tests--
and sent me a letter stating--

I may be Responciable for
Medical Expences--

That was ALL it said --
One sentence --Exact wording--

It was intended to Scare Me ---
It Did --

Three weeks after my visit this
Doctor wrote me a personal letter
explaining that He is Giving Up--
being a Doctor--
He could Not do the- Bidding -
of the HMO Anymore---

This is a Man who spent most
of his Life learning to be a
Good Doctor ---

Micheal is going to show
the Ugly Thruth about the
Medical Mechine in the US--

The medical industry is
Freeking Out about ALL
there Dirty Laundry being shown--

You know who are the Stains
on the laundry are -Me and You --

Micheal gets alot of Spin put
on Him because the Greedy who
run this country are
Scaired of Him --

Because he tells the Truth
about the things that They are
Trying to Hide--Form You --

I dont think Micheal Moore has
-- Ever been Sued --

You know Why -
-- Because He Tells the Truth --

He has done films Against Raceism-
Expoltation of US workers --
Gun Violence-
(He is a Life Long member of NRA)

On one of His TV showes-TV Nation-
He had about 50 Cheer leaders
and Dancing girls make Fun of
the KKK at there Home Base--

You got to see it---
Its one of the Funnest thing
I have ever seen in my life--

KKK Showed there True Color --

That is what is so Powerful
about what Micheal dose --

I bet if you talked to Micheal
on the street and did not know
who it was --
You would Really Like Him -Alot-

He is just a Regular Guy --
He Loves America --
He wants America to be Great-

He is Always pushing -

Voter Regestration --

For people to
Take Civic Responcabilty --
Run for local offices --
To Help the Needie --
Human Rights -

He wants people to be
treated Fairly---

All of these sound like
Good things to me --

Check Anything that He has
Ever said in one of his movies--
(I have)

You will find out its the Truth --

Go out and rent some of his movies--
In a few minutes you will
Love this Man --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobdavis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobdavis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that he wants a national health care system like what Hillary suggested a few years back.

They just started a new medicare with 40 seperate programs depending on what disease or medicines you have. It has been a huge disaster.

Hillarys national health care program would have hired millions of government employees whose job would be to keep you from getting treated for anything.

Posts: 499 | From Western NY | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not American but I ask you:

Please, don't miss this opportunity!

First, there will be no other one coming up within the next 20 years or so.

Second, contrary to America, where 50% of the population love MM and the other 50% hate him, he is admired by practically all the rest of the world.

His movies are seen worldwide and if Michael Moore could shed some light on how Lymies are treated in the US this would have at the same time an impact on the situation of all sufferers everywhere on this planet who are in exactly the same position.

Please go for it!

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groovy and Gabrielle convinced me.

Think that people who write him should be the ones with a clear cut story, not muddy, without a lot of other confounding factors. It will sell better to Michael and to potential audiences.

[ 07. February 2006, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: lou ]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
let's do it. no matter what your opinion of moore, he'll be on our side. he knows how messed up the health care system in this country is, and that's what he's hoping to expose in this film. he may be considered a little 'out there' or 'radical' or whatever, but he genuinely cares about people who are suffering.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I disagree......and I'm not doing it.

Michael Moore is nothing but a blowhard out for whatever "dollars" he can make. Sorry, but his supposed "documentaries" are nothing but distortions of the truth, for the most part.

He rants about big business, but owns major stock in many. He's nothing but a hypocrite.

Michael Moore is NOT worried about Lyme Disease...he's only worried about his profits.

He would do the Lyme community a greater service by writing a big FAT check!

To associate Michael Moore with Lyme Disease will be a big mistake, imho. Especially with important legislation and ongoing issues before Congress.

Very disappointed to read this.......Michael Moore's name even being associated with Lyme Disease will be a setback. Do NOT promote Lyme Disease as a political, partisan issue.

Michael Moore is a big mistake.....imho.

[ 06. February 2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Boomerang ]

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldnt trust this guy. I dont think hes a good one to represent Lymies

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugmenot
Member # 7878

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Bugmenot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with TP on this also.

MM is all about personal gain and by whatever subject he can sensationalize, at that particular moment.

He could be speaking out for health care one day and saving the poor (tick infested) elk population from much needed culling at the same time.

We need a high profile advocate for the cause (someone with integrety however), and preferrably one with first hand knowledge of the actual problems we face.

How's that Lyme movie in progress coming? Anyone have a link for that?

Could MM make things worse?

Perhaps, but I seriously doubt they could get much worse, unless our ABX supply gets cut off all together for some reason (like economic collapse, social unrest, etc).

Just my $.02

Posts: 33 | From Oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

Micheals movie is Not going to
be about Lyme Disease ----

The movie is going to be
on the Medical Industry --

The last time I checked ---
There is not One Person on
this site who is Happy with
how they have been treated
by Medical Industry ---

Lyme paients are Not the Only
people that are not Happy
with the Medical Industry --

A friend of mine got slightly
hert in downtown Austin --

She had a Few scratches that
were cleaned up and small Bandades --
about 3 ---

Her ambulance ride cost $2400 for the
4 city block trip she took in it ---

Another friend of mine got slightly hert-
She was about 100 yards the
Front Door of the Hospital --

Her ambulance ride cost $800

Lets see-- $800 devided by 300 feet-
comes out to $2.66 a foot --

She was in the ambulance about
6 Minutes at most--

That comes to $133 a minute --

The President Of the
United States makes $28.53 a minute -

I had a experance with a doctor--
Where I told the Doctor that I
have this desease --

The doctor Imeaditly started Yelling--
There is No Such Disease ---
While Jumping Up and Down --
(He was getting good air too )

I am not one to Pass Up a Good--
Tantrum --So I Joined In --

I was to sick to keep up with
the 60 year old doctor for
more than a minute or so --
But I did the Best I could --

The 4 minutes I was Yelled at by
this Hopping doctor was $175 --

That comes to $43.75 a minute --

I guess when you break it down to
the cost per Hop it dosent Look
so Bad --about $3 per Hop --(DPH)

Im not sure how much doctors
charge per minute for Screaming --
at there paitents - So maybe
I got off lite --

My personal Doctor that I Now have
charges me $40 a Hour -- (66cents a minute)
He Listens to what I have to say-(priceless)
and Really Cares about Me --

Several times he would not take
my money --

He is one of the Nicest People
I have ever met --

He works out of his Home -
and sees about 4 people aday --

He told me that he Dose Not
want to be part of the
Medical Industry -Anymore-(25 years)

Out of the 15 doctors I have seen--
Only 3 have Listened to me --
2 of them have Gotten Out of the
Medical Industry Now --
And one is on the Edge --

My bad experances with Ducks
is about adverage for sick people --

My Finding a Good Doctor --
is Very Rare these days --

--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this has been a most interesting thread.

I was wanting us to try to focus on the angle that MM could use - about the corruptness of insurance as it pertains to this disease...

...I, personally, was just trying to get the man's attention long enough to do so.

As I may have mentioned, I am planning on sending several emails - use a little persistence to get some attention as well. It may not work - but at least I can say I tried.

As far as the opinions of others -- I know that not everyone will agree with me or those of us who hold that position that MM could help us.

I do not necessarily agree with everything he ever said or did - but he has managed to at least call my attention to situations I may not have previously been aware. Was it propoganda?

Who am I to say? Does he put his own 'spin' on certain subject matters?

Well, yes - who doesn't?

I'm sure that for just about everything MM does, he has his own personal spin & HIS own motivations. But that's not to say that he hasn't done SOME good - nor that he has not enlighted others to issues that needed some attention.

I do not begrudge anyone their opinion; and I could spend far too much time trying to convince you about the truth to the adage that 'there's no such thing as bad press'

If you don't believe it -- you just don't. So I shall conserve my energy for other matters.

For those that DO believe that we need to be shouting from the rooftops, I say FULL SPEED AHEAD ;

For those that don't - may I suggest that you see some of the political threads posted in General that pertain to the now pending Federal Legislation that is stuck in sub-committee and will most certainly DIE there if not enough is heard from the Lyme commuinty?

So instead of waiting for some magical person to come along and save our Lymie a$$es, perhaps we could use part of our computer time trying to also get the attention of our elected officials - and not just depending upon those that HAVE been working on our behalf for all too long.

Now is the time we should all be working ON OUR OWN BEHALF.... IMO.

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I like Michael, and his work, and I think he is looking out for the little guy with sincerity.

My wonderings were on whether the slice of Lyme pie that would fit into his film on the insurance industry could help or hurt.

I have no way of knowing the answer to that, just wondering.

I also think there IS such a thing as bad publicity, especially in something as complicated and far-reaching as this disease.

My only comment to anybody doing this would be to just keep in mind what the best mesage in this particular venue would be..
maybe some consistancy in the mesage would help..

and also keep in mind that you can sit even for hours with a reporter or filmmaker or writer who has the very best of intentions, and they may use, not use, cut, embelish, or edit your contribution into something you didn't quite have in mind.
That's the reason I won't take my experience to him. Becuase I will not be able to control how it is presented, and God forbid the exposure harms the Lyme Doc terain more than it already is vulnerable/exposed.
It's not a matter of not being a mobilized activist...it's that Moore, in the possibility of using this to contribute to his film involving the massive issue with insurance nightmares in all illnesses..
is not likely to become as Lyme Literate as is necessary to know exacly what should (and should NOT) be illuminated in his film re: Lyme.
He could choose exactly the right bits to emphasize, or exactly the wrong ones.

As a contributor, you would have no say in that or some might also not know what would be potentially harmful to present, and I think a wide release film hitting on that with all the complications should be produced by a Lyme Literate. That's M.O.

Not that folks shouldn't try to get word out, just that that is part of the scenery in this kind of stuff.

Mo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement