LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe Vertigo/Ringing in ears...help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe Vertigo/Ringing in ears...help!
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help!! I am having these awful symptoms and need some advice/reassurance! I have had Lyme for 1 1/2 years, and am 3 1/2 months into treatment with Dr. D. I am on Tetra, 1500 mg per day. I've been improving a lot, with the expected setbacks and bad days, but these symptoms are new? worse? and are really freaking me out!!!

On Tuesday of this past week, I woke up with severe vertigo/dizziness, ringing in my ears, headache, and shakiness. I had not felt this way in a VERY long time, if ever to this extent. The next day I felt great, drove all the way to Boston to see Dr. D by myself, grocery shopped on the way home ( a task I can rarely do) and then met with people that evening. The next day, Thursday, through today, Saturday, I have been struggling with these symptoms again:
Dizziness
Vertigo
Ringing in my ears (loudly it seems)
Shakiness, almost like shivering, muscle jerks, tremor in head and extremities
Severe headache off and on, requiring Vicodan (which I RARELY need)
Nausea

If I turn my head to one side or another it's like a big wave of dizziness hits me. I am very disturbed by these symptoms, because it is different from the problems I usually have. I haven't really been able to do anything at all for three days but lie in bed. I have not changed any of my meds at all. If you can shed any light on this, I would be most appreciative. Thank you!
PS I feel really bad that the only time I come here is when I feel really bad!!!! When I feel good I just hate to even think about Lyme!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efsd25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for efsd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy9,
When I had a vertigo problem, my regular doctor prescribed meclizine. It worked very well!

I feel for you...it is one of the worst sensations in the world.

Good Luck, Ernie

Posts: 546 | From Cascadia subduction zone | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

I'd had bells ringing for years but never knew why. I was misdx for 34 years until 04 so the symptoms are to the extreme for me.

I'm on 19 meds now as of Monday...way to many! When I saw LLMD Mon., I told him I wanted to REDUCE that amount & which could go. He decided 1 should go but to add flagyl abx & still be on doxy & biaxin pulsing PLUS flonase for my stuffed up nose full time. Can't sleep at night and DRY MOUTH from ALL my meds.

Since going on meds 1.5 yrs. ago, I've had dizziness too...holding onto walls, etc. Bells ring & I feel it's the doxy amplyfying the sound for me.

When I have a good day, I pay for it the next 1-3 days after like you .... that's lyme!

WRITE STUFF DOWN as you encounter so you can document when they started/ended. I started out really good on doing this, but can't follow thru on that now for me. "Do as I say; not as I do". [tsk]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a couple of yrs of these symptoms prior to the landslide into lyme relapse. You are herxing. 1 step forward, 2 back.

Hang in there.

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes this can be from the antibiotics themselves, I know Zithromax made my ears ring like crazy, check to be sure [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been tested for Babs?

If this is the Dr. D out of the Boston area, he has been treating an old neighbor of my since 1998 and still hasn't dealt with her co-infections ( which may be why she's still in treatment).

I had the symptoms you describe to a much lesser degree and have LD & Babs.

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to my LD diagnosis I had lots of episodes with vertigo. in order to function I took over the counter motion sickness pills called Bonine. Draminine made me too sleepy and didn't really work as well. Hope this get you through it until you see your doctor.

[ 04. February 2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: dmc ]

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

The ear noise and dizziness are frightening for you, especially since they are new symptoms! Are you on Flagyl now? The hyperaccusis from Flagyl almost sent me over the edge. Truly! One more dose would have sent me to the funny farm. I still have have ringing in the ear that had no noise before Flagyl and it was several months ago that I tried the drug. Never again!

Curious why the poster above asked if you have been tested for Babs? Does Flagyl really give Babs hell? Are the ear things--tinnitus/hearing loss/hyperaccusis mostly from Babs? Been wondering about this a long time. My Babs test was negative, but I've read the Babs test is about as accurate as the titer tests for Lyme. Might the person who asked enlighten us both? THANKS!

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tracy -

Unfortunately vertigo/dizziness and ringing in the ears (usually one ear only) is part of Lyme disease. My family thinks I'm weird because I have worse dizziness after I eat than any other time of the day.

As for the ringing in the ear ... I have that in my right ear. It can drive you crazy, but the longer you are on abx the ringing in your ears should subside.

And meclizine is great for vertigo and so is Bonine which is over the counter. I LOVE Bonine because it doesn't make you tired and it helps get rid of that "sea sick" stomach that sometimes comes with vertigo.

I hope your symptoms start to lessen. Take GOOD care of you.
Deb

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement