LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » man with advanced lyme has 12 hour shootout with police

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: man with advanced lyme has 12 hour shootout with police
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.riverreporter.com/issues/06-02-02/news-tusten.html
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8man12...often wonder how many stories like this are related to lyme rage. First time I've heard advanced lyme mentioned in an article.
Copied and pasted it here for others to read: thanks!

Tusten resident surrenders after shooting at police

By LISA CUTRONI

TUSTEN, NY--What started as a 911 domestic violence call escalated to a 12-hour showdown between William Morris and New York State Police and the Sullivan County Sheriffs' department.

Sheriffs' Deputies Cyrus Barnes and Rich Morgan arrived first at the scene around 12:43 a.m., after a call went into to 911 of domestic violence. Morris shot at Barnes's cruiser twice, before barricading himself into the house. Barnes was uninjured.

Twelve-hours later, Morris surrendered to the police, after oral threats were made to the police. Morris was alone in the home.

After his surrender, he was taken to the Sheriff's station in Monticello for interrogation, while the state police ID Unit out of Middletown was en route to process the crime scene.

The area was evacuated of residents and the Tusten Volunteer Ambulance team was on the scene all morning.

This was not the first encounter Morris has had with law enforcement.

On May 11, 2005 Morris' wife, Jane, called 911 after finding him in their rear bedroom with a rifle. They talked Morris into surrendering and he was charged with a misdemeanor menacing. In July 2005, another call brought police to the scene to resolve a domestic dispute.

Jane and William (Chris) Morris moved to Narrowsburg from Titusville, NJ in May 2004, when they opened the Riverlights Bed and Breakfast and Yoga Center. Morris was a former associate professor of finance and computer science at City University of New York. William Morris is reportedly suffering from either an advanced stage of Lyme Disease or some other form of mental illness.

Sheriff Mike Schiff said it was still unclear what originally set Morris off in the early morning hours, or what negotiators with the State Police Mobile Response Team (MRT) said to him to draw him from the building, but was able to say that there were several firearms in the residence.

Jane Morris escaped the premises during the early morning and was taken to the state police barracks in Tusten.

For more pictures, the continuing story and an interview with Jane Morris, pick up the February 9 edition of The River Reporter.

TRR photo by Lisa Cutroni

State police and Sheriff deputies surround the cruiser holding William Morris after he surrendered around 1:45 p.m. at his home on Route 97 in Tusten. Morris was held up for 12 hours, following a domestic dispute with wife, Jane, and shots fired at Sullivan County Sheriff's Deputy Cyrus Barnes cruiser. No one was harmed. (Click for larger version)

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! [Frown]

I feel just horrible for the man and his family.

At the risk of sounding unsympathehtic-Which I am so not.

I wonder if the public thinks where all a bunch of crazy gun toting maniacs?

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously doubt that "the public" gives much thought to us at all. They're busy.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel sorry for the whole family.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh for heavens sake!! I don't get it.

I've had lyme for 14 years and have never had lyme rages. I am sick but not mentally unstable. I have nothing in common with this perpetrator. [Roll Eyes]

I don't want this to be seen as a symptom of our troubles. Will make it too easy for public to see people who claim they have lyme disease turn into sociopaths? It's not true and not part of my life.

I think this guy had a problem other than lyme to have this happen. Sorry, but I don't accept it as a defense. [Mad]

I am sick, but I am not crazy or a danger to the public. [Wink]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
poor house,
As much as it does hurt "the cause" to be seen as sickos, it is also alienating to those of us with this disease who suffer from psychiatric disturbances because of it.

I have no idea whether this man has Lyme, has psychiatric problems DUE to Lyme or anything else, but it has been researched and found that there is a link between psychiatric illnesses and lyme.

Visit the columbia website for further info.
http://www.columbia-lyme.org/

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gretchen P
Member # 8403

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gretchen P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with tickedntx who other then a fellow lymie thinks about other lymies? [confused]

--------------------
I'm gonna get that lyme !!!

Posts: 61 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Have Lyme Etc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Have Lyme Etc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really comment on the whole article as Im feeling really bad right at the moment but this caught my eye..

"William Morris is reportedly suffering from either an advanced stage of Lyme Disease or some other form of mental illness. "

Some OTHER form of Mental illness? [confused]
Since WHEN is Lyme disease a MENTAL ILLNESS?
THIS pisses me off.. [rant]

--------------------
 -
My Blog--
http://learnaboutlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Posts: 209 | From South Carolina by the beach | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's very possible that many impulsive/rage crimes including mass murders which have occurred in this country over the past 25 years are related to undiagnosed late stage lyme borreliosis. Millions of americans are unknowingly carrying latent infections.
Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the positive side...

The article conveys to anyone who might read it that Lyme disease is a serious illness with very serious consequences if allowed to progress to 'advanced stages'.

The medical establishment that is against the Doctors that try to treat sick people trivializes it as something that does not merit medical care.

IMO the doctors that DELIBERATELY stand in the way of people needing treatment should be gone after in the same way that their goons go after our Doctors for trying treat people like that poor man BEFORE they get to that stage.

Someday those involved with the cause will get wise and take an aggressive OFFENSIVE posture, instead of just meekly defending themselves against a never ending barrage of attacks.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a Lyme rage either, but that doesn't mean others don't. I feel sorry for anyone with Lyme, no matter what happens.

I think when the rage mixes with a nature prone to uncontrolled anger it's a potentially deadly mix.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc J has seen Lyme and Bartonella produce this kind of rage and delusion, mania in some children.

Why not adults?

Sounds as tho he was having problems for years, too.

He also lives in a real hotbed for the disease.
..and I am CERTAIN there are no LL Docs in Sullivan County.

This is horrible.
I have come to believe that almost all 'mental illness' (especially deterioration from a previously high finctioning state, as happened with this man after they moved to the area)
I believe almost all cases, Alzheimers, ect
are from an infectious and/or toxic cause.

(unless someone has been through extraordinary trauma or abuse, of course)

This is trajic.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to the link and check the photo of the couple.
enlarge the picture.

first, they have two retrievers.

secondly,look at the man's facial expression. looks like the facial expression of one affected by tick-borne infections.

this type of behavior is usu. assoc. with ssri drugs, as well.

[ 05. February 2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have Lyme rages, either (thank G-d!) but... I did suffer terrible depression and anxiety following the tick bite that I believe infected me, and I got really crazy and out of control for a while. I now believe the Lyme had a lot to do with that, combined with a history of trauma....

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny this topic was brought up Im just about to start my masters thesis (its a masters in Criminal Justice), and in class today i was wondering how I could tie lyme into criminal justice, and its mental and psychological manifestations and their links to criminal behavior I just dont think I can get enough information to write the thesis on that at this time

But I know I have been so very neurologiacally effected I dont get rages bit I know others do I wish there was a way to get the right information out there...I hope to think of something as my interst lies with lyme these days and not so much with criminal justice....

anyway just found this to be an interesting topic...Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo:
He also lives in a real hotbed for the disease.
..and I am CERTAIN there are no LL Docs in Sullivan County.
This is trajic.

Mo

Mo, I'm sure you're right I lived in Sullivan County for around 8 years had multiple exposures and even a lovely bullseye and had to go to NJ to be diagnosed and treated.

Such and endemic area and so little understanding, I doubt it's recognize any more now that when I left in the 92. Such a beautiful place to live.

It is truly tragic and I hope he and his family can get the help they need.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I resent the idea someone mentioned that he must have been mentally unsound before Lyme to do what he did. Maybe, but maybe not.

I was a Psychiatric Social Worker, and had eleven hours of psych testing before they ever let me get near my first patient.

Not only was I not "prone to uncontrolled anger" before Lyme, I had virtually no temper at all....was endlessly tolerant, understanding and non-judgemental, in short a typical "Sally social worker" type.

Now, after 20 yrs. of misdiagnosed, untreated Lyme, that has all changed. The rages started about 3 years ago, and were so out of character for me, that they were what finally got me the correct diagnosis.

My rages don't happen as often since starting treatment, but I can see where they could become homicidal, and sometimes it takes every ounce of will power I possess to keep from breaking things.

In order to keep from actually hurting anyone, I just yell out what I would like to do to them until the rage is exhausted. It's like listening to Linda Blair in "The Exorcist", and feels just as scary for me. It feels just like I imagine being possessed would feel. Luckily for me, the person who inspired 90% of my rages, my FIL, has recently passed away without my help.
Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I can tell you first hand that bartonella can cause extreme rages. My little son had them. They were scary and out of EVERYONES control.

Taking rifampin and bactrim stopped them.

THats all the proof that I need.

What about that football player?

Im not saying this guy in the article has lyme but Im saying it could produce this kind of behavior especially if he has an untreated bart infection.
pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was beginning to wonder until I got to Klutzo's post if anyone out here has any rages. I have horrible rages that get very out of control if I don't consciously get a grip on myself. I've also been off all abx for a year ... not because I don't need them but because I'm having a little war with Medicare.

My rages have caused me to throw and break things, to swipe the kitchen table with my arm sending all of my files and paperwork flying, to flip over furniture, to scream at the top of my lungs, to throw my keyboard against my monitor after pounding on all the keys ..... and that's just to name a few things. And then I get really pissed because I have to clean it all up.

But I don't ever think I would be a danger to anybody else!!! I also have severe depression and extreme panic attacks ... sometimes ones with disassociation (the really scary ones). Who knows what came first. Are the rages a part of my psychiatric problems or are they a symtom of Lyme?

In the article, they never should have said Lyme disease is a mental disease. That's like saying someone with a broken leg who has a cold ran out of tissues, had to go to the store to get more tissues and held everyone hostage because he couldn't find the tissue aisle AND the reason he held everyone hostage was because of his broken leg ..... it makes no sense.

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This can be a symptom of bartonella..We have lived thru the rages for years..

In a child that had no previous psych issues and then has numerous tick and mouse bites but no Dr willing to treat for lyme when the depression starts, can really get an advanced case rolling..

I have seen nightly violent rages that varied in intensity depending on her condition..If she was not disturbed, she would get into bed, cry, sob to becoming hysterical..

If she was angry over the slightest thing, she would be uncontrollable and has injured herself and me and has tried to injure others..She has also made 15 serious suicide attempts.

In our community we have a man that had some sort of construction company that has been treated for lyme..He has also attempted suicide and a few months ago he had episodes similiar to the story presented..

And I understand that anyone who has not experienced this can not relate, but let me add credence to Mo and others, it is out there and I pray no one else has to deal with it.

I also think that a high percentage of teen suicides are related to either tick borne disease or other neuro toxins..

I think we all need to pray for this family..lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ebrischoux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebrischoux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is LYME RAGE and I have experienced it first hand with my son...He gets totally out of control and sobs uncontrollably afterwards....My son does have OTHER things going on but NEVER had this until being treated for lyme...It is scary and we get NO help from his LLMD's (two who we see)for this.....There is no LLMD in this area of Sullivan County...I live fairly close and it is a hotbed...

Just had a huge rage yesterday and I had to stop my car 4 times to calm him down.....I have the bruises to prove the rage...I am sorry this just got to me after the day I had with him yesterday....

Posts: 127 | From Rock Tavern, New York | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies to all for the tone of my earlier post. I broke the commandment to not judge without walking in anothers' shoes. [Frown]

Just because I don't get lyme rages, doesn't mean they aren't real. And I don't know what caused this man to do this.

[kiss]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had the lyme rages, but there was a time about 4 years ago when I really had to control myself. I was so angry, so lost, so ill and in so much pain and I wanted to scream until I got someone's attention to help me.

Everyday I had to focus and pray about not going over the edge. My husband at that time was asking me many days, "why are you so angry" and boy would that tick me off. After he spent 6 weeks in lyme hell with a unknown vector bite but all the symptoms, he did become more understanding.

Remember recently Sexton the QB for Florida State and his roaming the streets claiming to be GOD. No telling what else he had done in that time period. I'm sure some of his mental behavior was not made public.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys!

Haven't been around much because my son is home on leave from Iraq. I decided to check in to see how everyone is doing. We are enjoying his stay, and now he is up north skiing for a few days with a friend. He will be going back this week.

The topic on the shootout caught my eye,and although I haven't experienced a rage of that Enormity!! I have had them in the past. Was able to squelch them, which was not easy...trust me!

The good news is, with treatment, they do disappear!

I am doing well, and I will pop in every once in a while to say hi, and see how everyone is doing.

I am also putting a link up on aggression and lyme for those that aren't aware of how syphilis and late stage lyme can affect the mind. Hang in there guys, it does get better!
[group hug]

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/Lymerage.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while i still get lyme rages, i had a breakthrough in their intensity after doing an extremely short course of flagyl followed by a course of tinidazole.
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's too bad that there is such a stigma with mental illness. My daughter was involved in a study at yale a few years ago because she had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that was tied to episodes of strep throat.

They found that for some people with strep, the antibody levels get so high it creates and autoimmune response affective the neurochmistry.

When they treat the strep for longer periods of time and keep it down-the OCD stops.

No doubt in my mind this is true for mental illness and lyme disease. For me, my untreated neuro-lyme changed my brain chemistry in ways I could feel.

A very passive and happy person, I turned into a monster. Screaming at my kids for no reason and crying all the time. I didn't go to a therapist (even though the dumb neurologist told me that's what to do) because I was told insurance would get wind of my psychiatric illness and not pay for lyme treatment.

Luckily, a WB test came back CDC positive for lyme. After 2 negative WB tests from bad lab.

Now weeks into my lyme treatment, I notice a dramatic drop in my psychiatric symptoms. I am nicer again and not crying all the time..just a bit at night.

I may go as far as saying all mental illness is caused by some sort of a combination of untreated viral/bacterial illness and genetics.

Any thoughts? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've believed for years that many of the school shootings, spouse and/or child murders, serial killings and mental illnesses are Lyme related.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MedicalMinute/story?id=774780
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3540627
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I' a mild mannered, 150 lb., very calm, 55 y/o professor and a social worker. HOWEVER, prior to treatment I got into a number of near fistfights. One particularly stands out. A neighbors dog jumped the fence and attacked mine. I got the dog off, and was bitten in the process, then this huge guy runs out of his house yelling about me threatening his dog. Well, I lost it. I got into his face, was screaming, turned purple, and was ready to attempt to deck him, or die trying! I din't care about consequences. Fortunately, my partner pulled me off and was able to cool down the situation.
This is some bad and weird stuff.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gee I don't know David that might have gotten me pi***d off even without lyme! [Wink]
hope yu and your dog are ok.
pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I would say this guy is suffering from 'something' like Lyme that would affect his motor control since his aim was so bad.

After not hitting anything for 12 hours, he probably gave up not because his Lyme rage was over, but because he was out of ammo.

Good god, how much ammo would you need for a 12 hour shootout?

Posts: 114 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme rage is real and it is scary!

I'm an ex-nurse, social worker and massage therapist. I also thought that I was going crazy about 5 years ago when I started becoming so out of control emotionally.

Fortunately, I had enough info and resources to safely vent and process it even though I didn't know what it was or where it came from. Last year I was confirmed with Lyme and my daughter was just diagnosed last week. Poor thing went through teenage he** with Lyme!

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeloco,
Thank you for the SUPERB link. I've posted the article and letter on two other forums I frequent. It should inform a lot of people who are living in ignorance about this epidemic.
Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am ever so greatful i haven't had lyme rages. lyme crankiness, yes. [bow]

it takes a lot of courage to talk about this issue.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo has heard my rages....poor dear.

My wife and my kids also.

I can see Lyme/Bartonella rage causing this...without a doubt.

Poor fella...all that he and his family and wife have lost.

Too bad he isn't being treated properly.

I caught bartonella and lyme by Lake Oneida...it sucks being told it is CFS instead.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could this happen to my family?

Jane Morris tells of her husband's illness

By MARY GREENE

NARROWSBURG -- Jane and William ``Chris'' Morris moved to Narrowsburg several years ago from Titusville, NJ. In what now seems like another life, Chris worked as an executive vice president of a banking investment firm. Six years ago, he was diagnosed with Lyme disease.

``It was central nervous system Lyme disease,'' said Jane, and it affected both his brain and his immune system. ``He became so sick, he could not put a sentence together. He could not walk down the road.''

Chris began an aggressive treatment of antibiotics, but as a result of the disease, ``he lost his job and he lost his health.'' The couple began to go through their savings as well. ``At that time,'' said Jane, ``we wondered creatively what we could do together, to rebuild our lives.''

The couple sold their home in New Jersey and purchased what became the Riverlights Bed and Breakfast and Yoga Studio on Route 97.

They spent two years refurbishing the house and creating a yoga studio for Jane, who has over 30 years of training in Kripalu yoga and was a staff yoga therapist at Princeton Medical Center.

Chris began exhibiting erratic behavior two years ago, said Jane.

``Over that time, I noticed a shift in his personality,'' she said. ``I began to notice a pattern.'' Chris would go from being ``depressed, losing weight, having very high fevers and staying in bed'' to entering a manic phase ``when he wouldn't eat, he wouldn't sleep, he spent money. And he'd have more energy than I do. One day he can't rise from bed, and the next, he's full of energy; all the fevers and illnesses are gone.''

Jane began to seek help for her husband. She received differing opinions as to whether his symptoms could be the lingering effects of Lyme disease. Some doctors said he was exhibiting late-stage Lyme disease syndrome. Others disagreed, saying anyone who had been taking the rigorous antibiotics used to treat Lyme could not possibly still have the bacteria in his body. Chris had taken the antibiotics for five years, said Jane.

The first police encounter

In May of last year, Jane called 911 because Chris had climbed into bed with a loaded shotgun. As a result, he was charged with a misdemeanor and jailed for 10 days. His guns (a pistol and two shotguns) were confiscated. Some time after that incident, he spent 20 days in Bon Secours Hospital in Port Jervis, where he was diagnosed as bi-polar and given medication.

``At that time,'' said Jane, ``he was also withdrawing from a valium addiction'' that was a result of another diagnosis Chris received from a psychiatrist with whom he had been treated for a long time.

``He was diagnosed as having post-traumatic stress disorder,'' said Jane. ``That doctor prescribed valium for him,'' and Chris developed an addiction to prescription drugs.

During this period, Jane continued to seek medical care for her husband. They began seeing doctors in Westchester Medical Center, and went for marital counseling. Concerned with his violent behavior and subsequent incarceration, Jane told the authorities, ``My husband is sick. He needs medical care.'' She wrote a letter to Family Court stating the same.

But the situation did not improve. ``Chris was in denial'' about his condition, said Jane. Eventually she took out a restraining order and Chris moved out the house.

In July, he moved back in. Things seemed to be settling down. ``Why did I take him back?'' said Jane. ``He's my husband. He had been very loving and loyal to me before he got sick. In those days, he was my rock.''

Jane began a new job two weeks ago as a physical education teacher at the Family Foundation School in Hancock. On the home front, she began noticing the signs. ``He was late picking me up for work,'' said Jane. ``He was having seizures, and he would just zone out. He wouldn't move. He wouldn't answer me.''

The misdemeanor charges against Chris had been dropped and several days before the stand-off, said Jane, ``the township returned his guns.''

Late on Thursday night, she said, ``We were having an argument. Looking back, I can see I should not have argued. He was becoming very agitated.'' Jane went to bed but later got up and fled the house, and called 911. She spent the night in the police barracks in Narrowsburg while her husband engaged in a 12-hour standoff with police.

Is it possible that Chris has bi-polar disorder or is having a negative reaction to medication?

His diagnosis is uncertain, but ``the stress of losing everything, of all we have gone through, has certainly led up to this,'' she said.

``We are trying to find out what's wrong. It has not been an easy journey. We've just been plodding along, trying to cope.

``We have been married for 21 years. Most of it has been great. He is my husband, but I can't go on living like this.

``He's sick. He needs help. He needs hospital care,'' she said.

Timeline to a standoff

2000: William ``Chris'' Morris was diagnosed with Lyme disease. The family says it has affected his central nervous system, immune system and brain.

2000-2004: Morris is treated with antibiotics, loses his position as an executive vice president of a banking investment firm.

Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement