LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » will meditating make your blood pressure go too low?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: will meditating make your blood pressure go too low?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm starting again and i feel really wierd. docs -well nurses, can never find my pulse...and sometimes it seems i forget to breathe

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santa_pax
Member # 8318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santa_pax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello,

I do not think meditation could make your blood pressure so low as to harm you..... Perhaps the feeling weird is more noticeable due to the fact that meditation makes us more aware of our bodies?

Or maybe you actually are lowering the BP due to relaxing certain muscles?

I too have unusually low blood pressure, btw, and pulse is sometimes difficult to locate. I think its simply the effects of the illness upon our systems.

best wishes

Posts: 58 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooops double post, see below [dizzy] nerve impulses a little overactivbe today!!

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi lpkayak,

I also over the years have received the sensation that it is that I am forgetting to breathe. It is so yucky! Also, it has been hard for some nurses to find my pulse, but one explained to me that it is sometimes around the other side of the place they usually check for it. But don't worry, it is there! [Smile]

I think meditation comes in many different ways.

I think to experience the deep mystical states of meditation, can cause certain brain wave patterns to actually increase the lyme syptoms, and that is just my own impression. Because with higher states of consciousness you are enhancing a more cosmic state and not the executive functioning of the brain, which is the aspect that is lost with chronic neuro lyme over time. So I think to meditate and with lyme over time, can in some way perpetuate that loss of executive function.

HOWEVER, I believe that meditation can be of great help to the breathing problem, depending on what type of meditation. Since much of certain types of meditation is in fact a FOCUS ON THE BREATH, if included as part of yoga or tai chi, I think it will be extremely beneficial to the breathing problem.

I am about to embark on that myself, after a long time away!

[hi]

--------------------

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly agree with PaintedTurtle. I found meditating made lyme symptoms worse when I was very ill (neuro lyme)which was surprising since I had been successfully meditating regularly for 15 years prior.

However, gentle yoga with focus on the breath helped trememdously. As a consequence my yoga practice deepened and it became a central part of my daily routine and I believe a critical factor in my healing.

I say this because I would experience deep relaxation, peace, a greater sense of well being, even happiness, after a session. And I would have more energy to go on with my day. People even commented how much stronger/healthier I looked immediately afterwards.

Today, I am once again able to meditate (3 years of abx treatment later) but I still get more benefit from the yoga.

For those starting with yoga for the 1st time, I would go very very slow keeping in mind it may not be the exercise for you. Beware, some abx can cause/contribute to tendon damage. Inform yourself of the side-effects and take needed precautions.

Best wishes.

[ 14. February 2006, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: DolphinLady ]

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow-this is not what i expected at all. thank you. i just meditate to get away form the pain for a little while. it can be addictive-especially now that i don't work anymore.

yoga is on my list of things to try. i am doing really well in an arthritis water exercise class...and even started swimming laps after 3 weeks of the class.

i think i can start the yoga next week. thanks again.

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santa_pax
Member # 8318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santa_pax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

It didnt occur to me that there may be different modes of meditation........

I am referring to the type where you train your mind to shift from "thinking" to "feeling" by centering ones attention on the rise and fall of the breath.

I believe the changes in brain-wave function which come from this mode of meditation can only facilitate healing.

It is the higher thought functions, the "cortical" activities, which interfere with peace and healing. The goal of meditation is to suspend cortical monkey-business [Big Grin]

Posts: 58 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

my breathing just kind of happens. i am focussing on circulation i think-and sending healing messages to the cells and i just get so warm and throbbing and DON'T FEEL PAIN. its really hard to make myself come back.

--------------------

painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

I did some yoga this morning and felt a real true massage of my intestines for it. I'm like YES! A few good days in a row...relatively.

Tai chi is next.

I won't be doing any heavy meditation for awhile yet because my brain is already to on that wave length, I need it to return to perform some executive functions in order to be able to produce something in linear time. Linear time is an issue with me, I don't get it a lot!

There is also walking meditation and meditation while doing the dishes which is just mindfulness. But I tried to walk meditate during my walk did not work as well because for whatever reason, I am just not breathing. Could it be the anxiety? My lyme NP said is becuase, "broken hypothalamus". Anyway, the yoga was a great help, I intend to continue it when I can.

The organs are so precious and I tend to forget what all they are experienceing because of the other pains being so deep and shooting takes away my attention from the heart of the matter.

--------------------

5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With lyme - I don't think you can be too relaxed. [sleepy]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thanks all.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement