LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alice Walker had Lyme-Tell Oprah?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alice Walker had Lyme-Tell Oprah?
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember how we were talking about getting Oprah to do something on lyme? Well check out this , in a recent interview on her Color Purple musical, Alice Walker tells the interview she had lyme...
for entire interview http://www.alternet.org/story/32215/

"Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alice Walker opens up about activism, love, writing and the rebirth of 'The Color Purple' as a Broadway musical.

Last month, one thousand people gathered at a church in Oakland, Calif., to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Media Alliance. Onstage at the event, Amy Goodman of syndicated radio show Democracy Now! interviewed Alice Walker. What follows is an edited transcript of Goodman's interview

(I found this 3/4th of the way down the interview)

"....That anybody reading "The Color Purple" or seeing the film, actually, that they could read it and see the film and still think that I hated ... my father, my grandfather, my brothers, my uncles, just because they were black men; and, you know, this would mean that I hated Langston Hughes or Jean Toomer or Richard Wright or Ralph Ellison or -- it felt so incredibly mean. It felt very mean, it felt very small, and it was very painful.

AG: And so how did you get through it?

AW: Well, I came down with Lyme disease in the middle of all of this, and I experienced it actually as a spiritual transformation, even though I didn't know that was going to be the result. It was very frightening.

But I came out the other end of the bashing that I had received, the physical debilitation from Lyme disease, the breakup of my relationship with a partner at the time.

I came out of all of that with a renewed sense that life itself, no matter what people are slinging at you, no matter what is happening, life itself is incredibly precious and wonderful, and that we are so lucky that we wake up in the morning, that we hear a bird, that we ...

You know, just if you think about little things, they seem little, but they are so magical, you know, like eating a peach.

I came through that period understanding that I am an expression of the divine, just like a peach is, just like a fish is.

I have a right to be this way. And being this way, "The Color Purple" is the kind of work that comes to me. I can't apologize for that, nor can I change it, nor do I want to.

So there was this marvelous feeling, you know, that I had already been through a kind of crucifixion by critics. ... And not to compare myself with Jesus, but I really got it, that there is a point at which a certain kind of crucifixion leads to a certain kind of freedom, because you cannot be contained by other people's opinions of you.

You will always, I think, after you go through this kind of thing, feel somewhat removed, as I do. You know, I basically stopped reading reviews. And it's fine. I have realized I don't need them.

I really feel that if more people could pay less attention to other people's opinions of them, they would be so much happier.

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Human!

Thanks for posting this.

She also writes about it (briefly) in her book, The Same River Twice.

Reading what you posted today about the gifts this ultimately gave her was really inspiring for me today.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!
Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us tried to make Oprah aware of our plight and the suffering of those with Lyme to no avail.

I was told by a friend of a producer that they don't accept unsolicited show ideas and that we should send the suggestion on the web site.

Needless to say, slim chance of that being effective either.

We need a Dayrl Hall or preferably higher profile celeb to champion this cause.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was inspiring for me as well. Ive already notieced a change within me that I never would have recived if it wasnt for this disease.

Ive stepped back, slowed down ......i really have gone thru a transformation......now if only i could get to the other side.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it, humanbeing! There's a place to submit show ideas on Oprah's website.

It never hurts to try.

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somerset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hello Everyone," I e-mailed Oprah for the 3rd time last week about Alice Walker. I hope these celebrities have a good reasons for not making the public aware of what Lyme Disease can do. I'm sure they can go about it and not get into any trouble. I'll keep trying. "Peace be with us all", Robin
Posts: 139 | From Panama City, FL., USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea Robin
[woohoo]

I will e-mail her today through her website too. Maybe if we all send her a brief note about

the growing epidemic, celebs, first lyme clinic opening, our personal struggles, etc... it will seem like a real ground swell

Let's try it! The link below should take you to a page where you can post your story for future show ideas...Keep it brief but real.

What do we have to loose? (not that I even have the energy to go on the oprah show..writing the e-mail is hard enough)

https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=B2100004

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somerset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear humanbeing, Maybe if enough Lymies e-mail into Oprah, they might find that it would be worth doing a show, rememember there's strength in numbers!!!!!!!!!!! Robin
Posts: 139 | From Panama City, FL., USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it. We've tried for at least 5 yrs to get her to listen. Don't know what it will take.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Lymetoo, but if we give up, we most assuredly will not get anywhere.
Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe if Gayle got lyme O would listen! It has to hit close to home for most people to understand.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mlkeen:
Maybe if Gayle got lyme O would listen! It has to hit close to home for most people to understand.

Mel

Hey! "Gayle" HAS Lyme!! ME!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how Alice Walker was doing lately.

--coz I never see her anymore and she wrote about Lyme as Andie said, in her book The Same River Twice, but has NOT spoken about Lyme since, that I know of.

IS she "cured?" Is she still needing treatment?

I wonder why she is not part of the Lyme Literatie?

She has spoken so eloquently about so many issues that are dear to my heart, I wish there was more of her to go around!

She just put out a new book--African american displays are showing it...maybe Oprah would book her just for that? And then she'd just TALK about Lyme-coz it obviously had a BIG impact on her. Life changing.

Thank you for posting this!

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing this!!

I was just today taking a walk!! A steps in the right direction thinking....hmmmm, is this when the journey of this illness can become an opportunity?

And then to read about Alic Walker, I never knew she had lyme. We do not know her treatment or outcome either, I'd be curious.

I wrote to Oprah a couple weeks ago. Kept is brief and objective and mentioned Amy Tan but said I wouldn't want to go on her show.

Thanks again for this inspiring way to look at the disease of lyme. I think if I can just let go of the worries and fears it brings about surviving, so much more good can come from it to me and any I may eventually be able to share and help.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow...Alice Walker is from Georgia too. Hmm..that's funny, I'm from Georgia and we don't "have Lyme" down here. [Smile]

--------------------
Cutie

Posts: 125 | From Atlanta | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She got Lyme from a tick by her house in Santa Rosa, California.

They dont have Lyme there either!

[Razz]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santa_pax
Member # 8318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santa_pax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holey moley

Why is it that so many "famous" Lymies are authors? Amy Tan, Meg Cabot, Rebecca Wells, Alice Walker....and more yet.....

Do they spend time more time than others in the woods communing with nature for inspiration? [Razz]

Posts: 58 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is hoped to be accomplished by having Oprah do a show on Lyme? Do you think that she will JUST put out the ongoing infection theory? And if she does, what do you expect to actually change?
Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking that contacting Oprah's or Alice's publicist may be more effective than blindly emailing the show.

Durameter, Oprah has huge brand identiy, millions of adoring fans and the ability to champion a cause and raise lots of $. She alone could enable the doors of the Columbia Center to open and help grow the endowment. That would be a HUGE "change" for all of us.

[ 16. February 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Foggy ]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foggy:

Aren't there any ticks in Crawford, TX.?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I went ahead and submitted a request that Oprah do a story on Lyme disease. It can't hurt to try and if a large number of us show an interest in this subject, she may be inclined to consider it. If she shows an interest in it, who knows what other public figure will. All we can do is try to get her attention. Let's cross our fingers! [Wink]

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

"Foggy", Great response, I'm going to keep trying you just never know,if not Oprah eventually someone will listen. Strength & Peace be with us all. Robin
Gretchen P
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gretchen P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just emailed Oprah, we need to keep it going. As they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I say we squeak away! I think if we could get a few emails a day off to her she is bound to listen! But what do I know, I just have lyme disease.

--------------------
I'm gonna get that lyme !!!

Posts: 61 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duramater:
What is hoped to be accomplished by having Oprah do a show on Lyme? Do you think that she will JUST put out the ongoing infection theory? And if she does, what do you expect to actually change?

When Oprah talks... People listen.

Personaly, I've never been a real fan of hers. My mom was on her show twice about a decade ago. I can't say how I really feel about her, as I am sure I would offend... She's quite unbearable backstage, and a real jerk to her staff.

Something is to be sad about a woman who's magazine covers feature only herself.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, double-post

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks humanbeing for posting the beautiful words of Alice Walker. It is good to come back to this when we are feeling badly.

This is just an observation, and please no one take offense...but I have been on lots of different health boards over the years (after differing and incorrect diagnoses) and it seems like the issue of contacting Oprah to do a show comes up on every one of them. For example: fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, endometriosis... and I have never seen her do a show on any of these. In fact, other than health issues which impact Oprah herself (mammogram, colonoscopy) she doesn't seem to really do health shows, and particularly not too many disease specific shows. If you want to go this route, it seems like it might be better to target a more likely outlet: maybe CNN Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Dr. Mehmet Oz, or some other health correspondent who will be looking particularly for "health" stories to fill up their daily/weekly pieces. Just my thoughts on this. No flames, please!

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

very interesting observation DOCJEN! never thought of that.
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Alice Walker two years ago in April 2004 just weeks before I would get exremely ill. As I sat in her audience I was having the 'sweats' at the ripe old age of 34.

The lyme nightmare was about to descend on me.

I always wonder how I could have been more aware if Alice had just mentioned her struggle with it that evening.

I kept wanting to write to Oprah but I kept stopping myself because I want my letter to really grab her and it is just this daunting task in my mind. I want to present some angle that will assure she see my letter.

It was almost a year later that I would learn that Alice Walker had contracted lyme disease while the Color Purple filming was going on. She was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue back then.

I did get a book of hers that chronicles her life during the making of 'The Color Purple' and read some of the times that she was so sick. Oprah took care of her daughter frequently when Alice was so fatigued.

Later she would learn that it was from the tick bites.

The next spring in May 2005 Amy Tan came to Duke sponsered by the Asian Student Association. I went to see her speak and read from her latest book.

I wore my lyme bracelet and went to the presentation. Amy spoke of her work. It was a wonderful evening. At the end there was Q&A and I got up and walked down to the front of the auditorium.

I asked her to talk about her struggle with Lyme disease and coinfections. She was poignant and told of her seizures - as well how she was about to buy a scooter to get around with the year before.

I could tell many in the audience had no idea. I mentioned to her that she needed to get 'Alice Walker' and some LLMDs and go on Oprah ;0) She seemed surprised to hear that Alice had struggled with Lyme.

I really urge you to write and I am still planning on it too.

I am also going to write to Alice - I got her publicist's name from one of my professors in college and I want to contact them too.

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Thanks for this! I needed a laugh...

quote:
Originally posted by welcome:
quote:
Originally posted by Foggy:

Aren't there any ticks in Crawford, TX.?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

yes, this might work. I'm concerned with these guys those that they would look to the Steere camp. It would not exactly further the cause.

But, who knows...

quote:
Originally posted by docjen:
Thanks humanbeing for posting the beautiful words of Alice Walker. It is good to come back to this when we are feeling badly.

This is just an observation, and please no one take offense...but I have been on lots of different health boards over the years (after differing and incorrect diagnoses) and it seems like the issue of contacting Oprah to do a show comes up on every one of them. For example: fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, endometriosis... and I have never seen her do a show on any of these. In fact, other than health issues which impact Oprah herself (mammogram, colonoscopy) she doesn't seem to really do health shows, and particularly not too many disease specific shows. If you want to go this route, it seems like it might be better to target a more likely outlet: maybe CNN Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Dr. Mehmet Oz, or some other health correspondent who will be looking particularly for "health" stories to fill up their daily/weekly pieces. Just my thoughts on this. No flames, please!

Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As well from Alice's book it seems she had a kind of spontaneous remission after laying on the court steps while a friend of hers was involved in a trial.

She writes of hearing drumming and feeling that she had healed...

of course this is the super condensed version...

Worried that somehow this would translate into treatment is not really necessary...if it doesn't kill you it will eventually go away concept...

I also have concern that the real issues would not be clearly portrayed...

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's a great idea if we can get Alice Walker to get in touch with Oprah. Orpah is the way we can get our message out to the United States. Another angle we could have is that Oprah actually gave Dr. Jones in Connecticut an Angel Network Award. I brought my two sons up to see Dr. Jones last OCtober and there in his office is the book with all the letters that were written in about him. I asked the nurse and she said he actually ended up getting the Angel Network award from Oprah. Perhaps we can write in to the show and ask them to do a segment on ALice Walker and Dr. Jones and have some patients on.
Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement