LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme advice needed PLEASE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme advice needed PLEASE
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have been coming to this forum for several months now and it seems that alot of you have enough knowlege of this disease to be doctors, and I would really appreciate some advice.

I started off having various symptoms and went to every type of doctor they suggested. After 16 months of running around and being told I was fine and maybe it was anxiety, I found an LLMD.

I had been reading alot about lyme and figured this had to be it. I was tested by my LLMD who I hear nothing but good about, and I tested neg IGG and POSITIVE IGM from Igenex.

I started by taking 500 mgs 2x daily of biaxin.
Then switched to 1000 mgs 2x daily of ceftin.
I was on ceftin for about 2 months and a couple of weeks ago I started getting abdominal pains so I stopped the ceftin.

Well that was about 2 weeks ago and now I seem to be getting worse again, and to top it off I was fired from my long term job in Jan and have no ins right now. I have about 2 weeks worth of ceftin left but dont know if I should start it.

I will be going to my LLMD in a couple weeks and I just dont know what to do anymore. I am a young guy and am now self employed and should have no problem working hard with my business but this is really slowing me down and Im wondering if I'll ever beat this.........

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking acidophilus? When we take a lot of abx we take refrigerated probiotics because the abx kill all the good flora in the intestines. Acidophilus puts the beneficial flora back in the intestines.

A lack of acidophilus could be the source of the pain.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for responding....Yes I take 1 refrigerated probiotic pill per day usually and I think its 3 billion live cultures and I also eat stony field organic yogurt. However Im not sure that this is enough.
Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 pill and yogurt is NOT enough unless that one pill is Theralac. Is it?

If not, invest $40 a month in Theralac probiotic.
Go to www.theralac.com

It is BEYOND worth the money. It will save you more money and pain in the long run.

I am so sorry you are feeling this way and you should have plenty of company here--including ME!

But you can beat this. You can. I mean, you can and will feel better than you have recently. YOu may never be lyme free and you may never be back to where you were before lyme, but you can have a great life with lyme and an active one too!

You may need to get a RX for yeast like Diflucan or Nystantin. Usually tummy yeast/ gut flora being whacked out doesnt show right away when we are taking the ABX. It takes a while to really whack it out.

Keep posting!
Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would check with your LLMD regarding the stomach pain. It maybe yeast like some have suggested.

Did you read the side affects....is abdominal pain on the list?

Ceftin and cephlasporins in general usually arent tough on the stomach like say Doxy can be.

I feel the same as you do...i had to stop abx too...and seems like i will never get better. Try to stay positive, it really does help.

Oh and the one duck i saw thought mine was anxiety too.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also a good idea to take nystatin or diflucan for yeast. In addition, I throw on a cheap but effective Chinese herb extract called coptis, which Dr. Zhang uses in his remedies. It's only $6-10 bucks per bottle, and lasts 2-3 weeks.

Since the antibiotics you described are mid-range in terms of strength, you may want to research what the stronger versions will be, so you can upgrade effectively if you have to, and have an idea of the cost.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Thank you......
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey imp,
what are your symptoms? did your doc test you for babs or other coinfections?

With your limited finances, it is important to know what your dealing with. You may not get better if the coinfections don't get addressed.

My lld said that after one month of treatment 50% of pts will go on to become symptom free on their own. This is w/o coinfections.

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that you need a strategy for getting and being able to afford treatment.

IMHO, if you have a new infection, you want to through the biggest guns at it almost regardless of cost because it is quite possible you can be completely and permanently cured.

On the other hand, if your infection is long standing then long-term sustainability becomes more of an issue. Having been ill for many years prior to diagnosis, I went for the second approach. I take generics that I mostly pay for out of pocket and thus avoid insurance hassles and try to stay under their radar.

I have a number of layman's opinions about how to pursue either of those strategies. PM me if you want to discuss further.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Improver,

Sounds like you're in a tough situation. I was sorry to hear about your job. That can be a hard blow and very stressful.

I know, for me, stress can really exacerbate my Lyme symptoms AND cause me some stomach upset.

I'm on Ceftin and have been since June. It caused a lot of stomach upset for me in the beginning, but I tried to eat bland foods and wait it out. Eventually, that got better.

My first herx, though, was really horrible! I should also say that I had been sick and undiagnosed for at least 9 years prior to starting treatment.

I get employment stuff all mixed up, but if you were fired, doesn't that qualify you for unemployment? How about Cobra benefits?

The Ceftin comes in generic form (which is what I take), and without insurance, that could still be pretty expensive each month.

I hate the fact that you're continuing to get worse. If you're seeing your LLMD in a couple of weeks, is there any way you could call him or her now and just ask the question you've raised about taking the Ceftin again?

That would be my thought.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely take more probiotics and watch the sugar content of any yogurt or other foods. Keep in mind that simple carbs convert to sugar in the body.

Potatoes turn to sugar quickly, for example. Forget about white bread, corn, rice, etc! If you eat these very much, your yeast problem will continue, and/or escalate.

Here's some info for you.
CAndida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html
Lyme symptoms compared to yeast symptoms:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

Free meds
http://www.needymeds.com/

For those probiotics:
site for discount codes
http://www.currentcodes.com

my favorite place to buy probiotics and supplements is www.vitacost.com The code for an additional 5% off is in the link above. Vitacost is often 20-60% less than buying it at a health food store.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second and third the above posts on probiotics and carb-control. I feel like a different person when I don't eat many carbs... honestly! My body just can't handle them. Systemic yeast can wreak havoc on the body, particularly in an already compromised system. Between a low-carb diet, anti-yeast herbs, and lots of probiotics, I am surviving the doxy without many problems so far.

Are you sure your pain is in your stomach? Could it be another organ entirely? Lyme can cause all kinds or organ problems... probably best to check that out, too....

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no one said anything about sbc here-that was real important for me. don't you guys use it now?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement