LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is pain always associated with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is pain always associated with Lyme
Lesley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8678

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lesley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was wondering if all of you have a lot of pain. I do not have any pain at the moment...my symptoms are more neurological...weakness in legs, muscle twitching...dizzyness etc.. I am on the path of being dx for lymes because everything else seems to have been ruled out.

Is it strange if i do have lyme that i have no pain?

Thanks,

Lesley

Posts: 120 | From NB Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have a ton of pain before I was diagnosed... Only a severe headache, as far as pain goes.

As the disease has progressed, my joints have gotten a lot more stiff, and muscles more tender. I just realized yesterday that I can't even hop on one foot anymore. I'm 23 for crying out loud.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has no pain -- all his symptoms are cognitive/psychological.
Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pain comes from the reaction of our immune system to the infection.

my lld said if you gave a lyme patient a steriod (which you would never do) they would feel like a million bucks.--but the infection would take over.

A sensitive immune system/reaction spells mmore severe pain.

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
my2haveit
Member # 7712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for my2haveit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has had no pain in the 7 years of active disease.

Her main symptoms are pyschological disorders, skin lesions, sleep disorders, diminished function in her hands, and very, very extreme fatigue.

Sue G.

Posts: 61 | From Florida, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
like much of lyme itself, it varies within the person. sometimes i got it. sometimes i don't.

more cognitive and exhaustian than pain, but sometimes pain.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have pain.

A sleep test showed I have the "mental capacity" to push the pain away during the day. At night the pain is so bad I wasn't getting any REM sleep--pain was waking me up hundreds of times a night and I didn't realize it.

I can actually wake up--be in pain--and then I just lay there and "push" it away.

My sister had a hysterectomy and she was taking codine and it wasn't helping with the pain at all. The doc told her, it sounds like your pain receptors are already full...isn't that wild?

The human mind is an awsome thing--we weren't allowed to be sick when we were little--so we learned to ignore pain. If we had Lyme disease even then it "felt" normal to us. It has proven to be a very bad thing--you get a really bad infection--and you have no idea...

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lesley:

Is it strange if i do have lyme that i have no pain?

It happens. Consider yourself very lucky. Research has shown that the pain of Lyme disease can be worse than post-surgical pain. I can attest to that fact!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, I was in agony but I haven't had serious (TG) pain in many years.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Lesley,

Prior to starting abx, I had a lot of physical pain, especially in my right knee.

I had severe Lyme arthritis in that knee, and the pain was searing and burning, to the point of being debilitating. The reknown sports duck shot me full of cortisone twice, before I knew better.

Once I began taking antibiotics, the symptoms shifted dramatically to neurological things.
But I still get that burning pain in my knee. I now think that's more neurological than physiological.

It is definitely nasty. Plus, there are times other arthritis symptoms flare (all Lyme related) in my hips and hands.
Again, this is nasty, as is the headache I've been getting n the past few months.

Just started treatment for Bart, so a lot of these symptoms are kicking up.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree -- be grateful for not having pain. My pain is awful and unremitting -- really disabling at times. I, however, am grateful not to have the cognitive symptoms, at least for now (I did have them years ago) -- if I had to make the choice, I think I'd rather be in pain than unable to think....

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kentucky Girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kentucky Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have alot of pain, but then again, I was treated with steroids for a long time.

Lyme has definately had a big party in my body and left me with a major hangover to clean up.

Lets hope you can get through this without a lot of pain!

--------------------
Dani

Posts: 102 | From Where there is no lyme | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Lesley,
Other then debilitating back pain ALL of my symptoms were neurological:

Slurred speech
blurred vision
numbness hands, feet, head, face
sleep disturbances
cognitive difficulities (BIG UNDERSTATEMENT)
weakness in legs
I even drooled (such a pretty picture)

So No in answer to you question i dont think pain has to be a major factor in lyme (or if your undiagnosed for a long time...maybe you used to have pain, it has subsided its kinda forgotten, and the Nuero symptoms are your current and awful symptoms so they are what you think about now....does that make sense? Jill

How on earth could i forget FATIGUE!

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have lots of pain sinse being on tetracycline. Oh I had pain the times I was not on meds, but nothing beats the tetra herxes, NOTHING!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesley,

Our daughter has been diagnosed as having Lyme in addition to 2 co-infections, bartonella and babesia.

Not only does she suffer from the neuro-symptoms, brain-fog, slurred speech, etc., she stays in constant pain.

The pain presents itself mainly in all of her joints and she says her bones hurt all of the time.

In addition to the body pains, she also has severe migraines, usually on the order of three to four days of the week.

She takes a load of medications, Vicodin, anti-seizure, antidepressant, etc, yet nothing seems to really control the pain.

She's now in a wheelchair when she feels like getting out of the house because of the joint pains in her knees and ankles.

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymedad,
I am curious, as i too have suffered from slurred speech for 2 years now, has your LLMD stated what he may think causes this? Lyme or one of the co-infections? I have seen my greatest improvement on Rocephin and flagyl (flagyl just recently) however its still here...

I was just wonderingif you have pin pointed the main culprit in this symptom...(most of my symptoms have been neuro...with a bit of pain here and there...that has cleared dramatically with 10 months of IV rocephin and biaxin but some neuros still hanging on....thanks...Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BostonLyme2005:
but nothing beats the tetra herxes, NOTHING!

uh...isn't this the only abx you've been on??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement