LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severely Dry Skin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severely Dry Skin
hopeandme
Member # 8803

Icon 9 posted      Profile for hopeandme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here suffer from severely dry skin. I am on Rocephin and Levaquin. I am wondering if that is the reason for my dry skin or if it justs comes with the territory. Please give me any advice you can.

Thanks!
Hope

--------------------
HopeandMe

Posts: 61 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I switched from the cheaper Ivory Soap to a more expensive soap because my skin was so very dry. I'm using lotions, as well.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try pharmaceutical grade fish oil. (By mouth)
Worked for me!

Also, a tube of lanolin from the drugstore is very effective on dry skin on the hands and feet, although you may not need it anymore after you take the fish oil for a while.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my skin is literally peeling off my feet and hands like something that has died, my hair is also very dry and stands up with electricity all the time. I use lots of creams and leave-in conditioner for my hair and body. I think it hjas something to do with the ketes dying (IMO)
Fish oil is excellent
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember getting dry, scaly (but not flaking off) skin on my ankles the first time I got sick and started on antibiotics. In my brain fog, I wondered, "When did my ankles start looking so OLD?"

My son got the same kind of skin on the backs of his hands, swore he didn't wipe his nose on his hands! [Wink] For both of us, it went away on continued treatment.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For lotion, I highly suggest "Udderly Smooth." You can get it practically everywhere nowadays.

I've been using the stuff for years, and my friends used to laugh at me (only because the directions on the bottle were for repairing cracked or damaged cow teets). Every one of them is now a satisfied customer.

I figure if it can repair the cracked hands of a sailor (me), than it can fix just about anything...

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QB] For lotion, I highly suggest "Udderly Smooth." You can get it practically everywhere nowadays.

I've used Udder Balm on my dry skin and it worked great. Also Make sure you don't have any thyroid problems. I had more skin problems before treating my thyroid problems.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I just had a makeover at a department store after ignoring makeup, clothing, and other reminders of healthy life for ages. The salesperson took one look at my natural complexion and said, Oh my God, your skin is completely dehydrated, and the only real way to cure it is better nutrition. This from a woman who sells $80 eye cream.

Here's a good web page on choosing moisturizers:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=29

The supplements people seem to recommend the most are fatty acids, Vitamins A and E, B complex, minerals, and primrose oil. Also, lots of water. I just started taking flaxseed oil twice a day, and in place of nighttime moisturizer, am using Sodium PCA ($7 a bottle) and aloe vera gel ($5 a bottle).

Please write with more ideas as you find them!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was really really dry few years back I went to the skin dr and he said use oil of olat soap for sensitive skin....

I do and it is much better still a bit dry but never anywhere as severe as it was.... and I dont use lotion cuz im just to dog gone sick and dont have the energy.

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very dry skin and hair is also a red flag for being hypothyroid. All the lotion in the world won't take care of that.

Also don't forget the body (including skin)needs to drink water, water and more water.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish oil definately!!

Aubrey organics products if you don't want to add all the toxic junk they put in 99.9% of commercial products.

Also, Kiss my face has some good lotion but you have to read the ingredients. I won't use anything with mineral oil (actually drying .... and an ingredient in most lotions..........makes no sense), laurel sulfates or parabens.

Hope this helps someone,
robi

read labels ............ don't add toxins to you're body in the products you are using

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a really high grade fish oil, plus black current oil.

I also think getting a shower filter has helped a lot, getting the chlorine out of the shower, out of my hair and off my skin. My hair's a lot softer since we installed that.

And, as map said, water. I drink a lot of it. I also add liquid oxygen to it, which I think helps.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this! It really helps my dry flaky scalp. I have no problems as long as I take 1 tsp per day with a nutritional bar.

Coconut oil... get organic ... health food store or online

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes!

Coconut oil, good source - take inside and out,
has been great for all of this for me.
It's the only thing I use on all my skin and face for a long time now, better than any expensive cream ever was, and makes a great intensive (leave on overnight) hair treatment.

Over the long term I also lost that
'chicken skin' on my legs thing, and the wrinkles starting around my eyes went away.

It's also good for the immune system, thyroid, **candida, cholesterol and more.
High nutritional value.

Just put some in a small glass jar, and melt it by putting the jar in some warm water so you can take it on a spoon and use it on your skin.

I take three tbsp a day now, for a long time I took much more.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Rechts-Regulat alone or mixed under coconut oil. Wherever needed.

I am reposting this article below. It was a handout to patients of Dr. K. around 1990, when eggs were still a no-no for another 12-15 years following. In those days, 6 eggs detoxed a lot of junk. That was before the Phospholipid Exchange and all the fancy expensive stuff came along. Now even the eggs contain mercury -- and the chicken as well -- Where will it end?

I still eat my eggs though. And I still wash my hair with an egg yoke several times a week.

General Guidelines for Eliminating Toxic Solvents

Read the labels on all your personal grooming products - shampoo, creme rinse, soap hair spray and gel, moisture lotion, shaving cr�me, deodorant, toothpaste, etc., your make-up, base eyeliner, mascara, blush on, lipstick, nail polish, etc., and household cleaning products. Eliminate all the products with obvious toxic solvents:

``Prop''
Isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol - 2 times as toxic as ethanol, and is absorbed through the skin. Used widely in cosmetics and antifreeze!
* Propyl alcohol or propanol - similar to the effects of isopropyl alcohol but has an additional drying effect on the skin.
* Propylparaben - propyl alcohol plus ester form of p-Hydroxybenzoate. Used extensively; can cause contact dermatitis and is toxic.
* Propylene glycol - permeates through skirt better than glycerin and is less expensive. Widely used in cosmetics and hydraulic and brake fluid; can cause
liver abnormalities and kidney damage.
* Or any other chemical listed with ``prop' in the name.

``Methyl''
* Methyl alcohol or methanol - common solvent especially irritating to the eyes.
* Methylparaben - widely used as a preservative in cosmetics; can cause allergic reactions.
* Methylcellulose a binder and thickener that has caused cancer in rats.
* Or any other chemical with ``methyl'' In the name.

``Butyl''
* Butyl alcohol or butanol - solvent and clarifying agent that is a strong irritant and toxin.
* Butylparaben -- used as an antifungal and is toxic.
* Butylene glycol - - common in hair sprays; toxic to central nervous system and kidneys.
* Or any other chemical with ``butyl'' in the name

``Ethyl''
* Ethyl alcohol, ethanol, cetyl alcohol, S.D. alcohol - Before ethyl alcohol can be used in cosmetics it must be denatured (made unfit to drink) which requires the use of toxic solvents. Therefore, even ethanol and its related compounds are not safe additives.

* Grain alcohol - The only nontoxic alcohol additive; it is not denatured.
(Some companies therefore break the guidelines and do not denature their ethanol.)
* Ethylene glycol - used as an antifreeze and solvent; very toxic to central nervous system, lungs. an~ kidneys.
* Ethylene dichloride -- solvent and wetting agent; highly toxic even through skin absorption.
* EDTA or ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid - preservative that is highly allergenic, and can cause kidney damage and cancer. Also used in carbonated beverages

Benzene. Toluene, styrene, xylene, etc.
* Toxic aromatic hydrocarbons from petroleum, but these will rarely appear on the label.
* Therefore, avoid obvious sources - Vaseline, Jell-C, candy, throat lozenges, all medications if possible. most cold cereals, chewing gum. many tea-tree products. ice cream, most pet foods, fruit juices, bottled waters, perfumes. almost all cosmetics and personal care products, and all household cleaners not bought at the health food store or co-op.

Miscellaneous
* Ascorbic acid - Vitamin C, natural preservative; non-toxic if extracted cleanly.
* Benzoin - a gum preservative not related to benzene; non-toxic if extracted cleanly.
* Citric acid - from grapefruit seed; natural preservative: non-toxic if extracted cleanly.
* Mineral Oil - petroleum derivative, suffocates the skin, indigestible when absorbed, toxic.

Solvent-free Shopping List
Rule 1- All plastic has traces of benzene It's almost impossible to avoid plastic though, because most companies cant afford to beat the expense of shipping products in heavier glass jars. However, try to transfer as much as you can into glass containers when you get home.'

Rule 2- Almost all make-up has benzene in it from the extraction process of the particular pigments, scents, and ingredients needed. Even the health food store brands (BWC, Rachel Perry, Aubrey. and Weleda, etc.) almost always have propyl-, methyl-, benzene-, etc., in them. Your best bet is to buy all your make-up from REAL Purity in Michigan (1-800-253-1694), Their products are absolutely clean and natural. They also have shampoo creme rinse, moisture lotion, hair spray with grain alcohol, halt gel, and deodorant.

Men might want to order ``chapstick'' called Hauschka's lip cream'' from Kripalu (1-800-967-7279). Hauschka's is a well.respected German company using all natural sources. (And their lip cream doesn't look like lipstick!)

``Arcoroc'' and other French and Italian glass-- even colored glass - test better than other brands (less toxic metal-lead-influence).

Cosmetics

Good Bad

Tom's toothpaste Weleda pink toothpaste
Xylifresh toothpaste Weleda salt toothpaste
TeaTree (Australia) toothpaste Homeodent
Auromere toothpaste
Ecodent tooth powder in paper container
Peelu toothpaste
Peelu tooth powder

Crystal deodorant Most other deodorants

Hauschka's lip cream Vaseline
Real Purity ``E'' stick Lip cream
Chapstick
Noxzema
Burt's Bee moisture cream
Burt's Bee soap
Burt's Bee body powder

Chica Bella Shampoo Almost all BWC, Zia,
Chica Bella cream rinse Rachel Perry, Weleda,
Chica Bella moisture lotion Aubrey, Kiss My Face
Chica Bella soap

Real Purity shampoo
Real Purity cr�me rinse
Real Purity moisture lotions/cr�mes/etc.
Real Purity hair spray All other hair spray
Real Purity hair gel
Real Purity deodorant
Real Purity ( all their products are okay) All other hair dyes
Aubrey's B5 design hair gel

Dr. Bronner's hair gel

Real Purity hair dye

Miscellaneous
AVO CAT dry food dry cleaning
Sensible Choice wet cat food Contact lenses

Groceries
Good Bad

Eggs (help repair nerve myelin sheath
and cell membrane)
Fresh-squeezed juice All flavored juices
Most ``healthy'' teas Coffee, Lipton'' tea

Cheeses (buy the more irregular looking
shaped cheeses)
Celtic salt Sea salt

7th Generation Q-tips/cotton balls!
menstrual pads [Chlorine and dioxin-free]
Second Nature toilet paper, paper towels,
napkins [Chlorine and dioxin-free]
Macrobiotic-type crackers Most crackers
Rice Cakes Enriched with A and D Rice Dream
Organic Rice Dream Soy milk
Soy lecithin

One Earth Laundry Powder
One Earth Bleach
Ecover Laundry Powder
Country Save Laundry Detergent
Country Save Bleach
7th Generation Dishwasher soap

Of course, organic fruits, vegetables, whole grains, bottled salad dressings, olives, pickles, pasta, whole grain breads and many other whole foods from your co-op and health food store are find. Not listed is obvious junk food, like Jell-O and chewing gum, because no one but concerned health-oriented people are going to read this anyway!

We are also in agreement with Dr. Clark's beliefs that, in the presence of these chemical solvents, aflatoxins= a toxic mold by-product found on all nuts, bread more than a few days old, overripe fruit, beer, and many bulk grains-are more opportunistic. Therefore, while you are detoxing solvents, avoid these products as much as possible. However, if you cook the grains and nuts, it should destroy any aflatoxins. Also, mixing a 1/2 tsp of powered ascorbic acid (Thorne) with your nut butters should render them mold free.

Solvent Detox Protocol

The most effective way to detox isopropyl and related alcohols, and benzene and related hydrocarbons, is to simply avoid them. However, the following pure, solvent-free nutritional supplements can speed up the average 5 month process.

Chlorella Begin with 4 a day; 2 in the morning, 2 at night, without food. Build up to 8-12 per day If your amalgam fillings are removed. Take chlorella and garlic to8ether, on& 2:1 ratio. (Chlorella is a powerful l toxic chemical and metal chelator)
Garlic Take. at the nine time with chlon,l1a, on 1:2 ratio. without food. Build up to 4-6 ~per day. ~The sulfur in garlic attracts and absorbs toxic metals and chemicals, and strengthens the liver's detoxification cytochrome p450 system~

* Free-Radical Quencher 3 to 6 a day, with or without food. (Antioxidants. assist in chemical detox and cell membrane
repair.

* Pycnogenol
2 to 6 a day, without food. ~Pycnogenol is a more powerful antioxidant then vitamin C and E.

* `Buffered C Powder 1to 2 tsp a day, with or without food. (Buffered vitamin helps alkalinize acidic solvent toxic tissues, and acts as an electron donor for energy and a strong antioxidant .

* Anti-Mutagens 2 a day, without food, 1 in am., 1 In p.m. (A blend of anti-carcinogens of plant origin. that
protect against the harmful effects of air and water pollution and electromagnetic fields. Don't let the ``propyl-`` scare you-it's a natural plant product!

* NH4~Redox
2. day without food; 1 in am., 1 in p.m. (reduces Intestinal ammonia that is linked~ to hepatic encephalopathy'' - the neuropsychlatrlc abnormalities such as memory log, and depression that rise with liver dysfunction secondary to toxic solvents and metals)

* L-Trepein
2 a day. with food. (A lipotrophic that aids in liver repair and helps restore metabolic enzyme function to better. detox solvents.)

Phospholiplds
2 a day, with food. (Helps repair cell and nerve membranes and restore efficient fat metabolism.)

Ornithine 2 to 4 before bed. (This amino acid is mildly sleep inducing and taken before bed stimulates growth hormone production. It also helps repair solvent-damaged cell walls.)

Arginine Qr Citrulline 2 capsules, 2 times a day (4/day), away from food with
Aminomine. (Arginine. also helps repair solvent damaged cell walls, as well as stimulating growth hormone and enhancing thymus activity. Take citrulline if you have a history of herpes outbreaks)

Aminomine 2 capsules, 2 times a day (4/day), away from food (Combination amino acid specifically for brain cell repair. This is especially important since all solvents have neurotoxic and neuropsychiatric effects.)

Eggs
2 to 6 per day. (``Apoprotein E, found in eggs, shuttles cholesterol to the injured nerve and cell membranes for repair and regeneration. It also assists in escorting the cholesterol FROM the body)

*Double on days of increased toxic solvent exposure.

(from the early 1990's)

<>

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement