LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Levaquin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levaquin
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have adressed lyme (no more die-off cycles) and all my other coinfections and now I'm down to the last one. . . .I am ready to start levaquin tomorrow after preparing all week (supplements) for it but boy am I concerned. . . .

doesn't matter who says levaquin, there is always a sigh, grunt, moan behind it, including the medical community and my pcp.

I'm going to take a 1/2 dose to start for a few days and then add.

Does anyone have any success stories?

Also - levaquin has so many side effects - how will I be able to distinguish a herx from a side effect from an allergic reaction?

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gretchen P
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gretchen P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Levaquin for the first 2 mos of treatment. I thought it was amazing, my vision was clear within a week! My pain reduced by about 10% which at the time was awesome!

I went off of it when my vision returned to its original blur. I started Biaxin and within 24 hrs my pain was completely gone. I now know Levaquin was causing me extreme muscle and joint pain.

If you would have asked me back then if I would recommend it I would say Heck ya! Now I shudder to think of the pain I used to be in from it. You also have to be careful as it can cause tendon rupture even weeks after being off of it.

I do think it is a good drug that can do some serious zapping quickly but I would not want to be on long term. If you are not getting results with other families of meds I say why not try it, it may work better for you than others. We are all different and have different symptoms. Just be careful! [Wink]

--------------------
I'm gonna get that lyme !!!

Posts: 61 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did great on Levaquin. Both Levaquin and Biaxin caused deep muscle pain, but I really think it's because they were getting to the lyme deep in my tissue.

We really think my Lyme is gone, followed Levaquin with Ketek that did it. But I still have salmonella that causes a reactive arthritis. The Levaquin was the only thing that lowered the level of salmonella in my system, which rised again when I stopped. I'll be starting again as soon as I get an ok from my gastro (whole other issues going on).

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin seems to have kicked bart for the hubby (seems -- with babs and Bb still to contend with it's hard to know for sure). He had a lot of joint pain while on it (6 wks) -- it diminished after he got off it. He was definitely much clearer headed and more even tempered after the Levaquin compared to before it. He took it after quite a while of tx for both babs and Bb.

I've been on Levaquin for 3 weeks now. I'm also at the end of my tx (seem to have got rid of babs and most of Bb) I'm not sure what I think. I had been on Rifampin for 2 months prior, also for bart. I had a major herx about a week into the levaquin, with headache and a lot of joint and muscle pain.

I took CSM and glucosamine/MSM, and the problems diminished somewhat, especially the headache and feeling fogbrained (which is why I think it was a herx, and not just a reaction to levaquin). I'm still having significant joint and muscle pain, especially in the elbows, shoulder and knees. I'm very very tired and feel kinda lousy all the time (worse than I felt on Rifampin). But -- for those periods when I feel physically well enough to go do stuff, I do feel a lot sharper mentally, more able to concentrate and do complex stuff, less liable to be panicky. My memory has improved since starting the Levaquin.

I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin can cause deep tendon pain. Mine was so severe that we had to discontinue the medication and switch to another, Ketek. Ketek has been dandy.

My advice is to be aware of your body to see if you develop pain in your tendons. If so, call your doc and discuss alternatives. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds if the pain comes. It's not fun

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met someone very very knowledgeable about LD and he said he did the very best on Levaquin.
Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first drugs were levaquin and ceftin. My brain fog cleared and how unbelievable......my knee pain cleared.....sex drive came back and no, I did not have any tendon pain. My shin pain which was bart did the herxing cycle - excruciating when herxing.

I did not want to get off levaquin 'cause of my good response.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3 limes
Member # 8520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3 limes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elle- What supplements did you take in preparation for starting Levaquin and how far in advance did you start them?
Posts: 23 | From Camp Hill. PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses.

I took ketek until I couldn't move a muscle in my body without excruitiating pain - 4ths w/mepron.

As soon as I was switched (1 day) to doxy the muscle pain started to subside, within a week it was gone. It was a nice break from the pain.

My llmd had me increase my mag, vit c & add an anti-ox formula for 3 days before starting.

As a precaution my pcp is having me take 1/2 doses of the levaquin for 3 days. My pcp will be out of town and is concerned that something might go bad when she is not here. If I had to go to the er it would be impossible to explain any of this to an unfamiliar doctor.

I took the 1st 1/2 pill this morning and other than a small drop in bp and being tired/calmer than normal, I'm okay. I'm still taking my full doxy dose.

--------------------

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

quote:
Originally posted by Aniek:
I did great on Levaquin. Both Levaquin and Biaxin caused deep muscle pain, but I really think it's because they were getting to the lyme deep in my tissue.

We really think my Lyme is gone, followed Levaquin with Ketek that did it. But I still have salmonella that causes a reactive arthritis. The Levaquin was the only thing that lowered the level of salmonella in my system, which rised again when I stopped. I'll be starting again as soon as I get an ok from my gastro (whole other issues going on).

This is interesting . . . . when I was 10yo, I contracted salmonella at a family picnic and it went undiagnosed until I almost died from it. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital and once released was never tested or followed up on again.

--------------------

liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason--Murphy's law, probably--everyone seems to have incredible success with one of the two bartonella drugs, and a miserable experience with the other one.

I gave levaquin a try, and it was a big mistake. Rifampin was the miracle drug for me, and many people don't get results on it, but love levaquin. But we all seem to get better on one or the other. So don't worry, just pick the one that does it for you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didnt help me at all my health just declined on it.

It wasnt a herx it wasnt a side effect I could have been taking pez candies and got the same result.

Having said that every one is different and I hope it does work for you.

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement