LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mostly Women Here ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mostly Women Here ?
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

It seems to me that there
is mostly women posting here--
3/4-or so-

Whats up with that ?--

Are more women getting sick--
or women just look for help more --
or what ? --- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveInMinnesota
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveInMinnesota     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that maybe they have more time to post. Regardless of how "equal" our society is, many of the guys that I know with Lyme Disease, are continuing to work will battling with the disease. In any free time, they sleep. That's my 2 cents on it.
Posts: 133 | From Rocheser, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luke339
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luke339     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, I am at work when i post, i cant miss work just cause i have some disease, i would loose my source of income. I would love to stay home though, I am dying from these symptoms right now.
Hoping the LLMD clinical diagnosis was correct and i dont have ALS.

-Luke

Posts: 167 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millymollymandy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for millymollymandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to have to say this, but there are many women out there battling with their own health that are working, looking after sick children AND keeping a house together.

Perhaps more women are posting because they're trying to do too much on top of their own illness!!!!!

I am self employed and my work involves using my computer - I have been sat here working this evening until 10pm!

If you hadn't guessed, yes, I'm female!

Posts: 229 | From United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MizMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizMo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think men are

A) Less likely to seek medical attention until they feel like they are dying.

B) Less inclined to talk about it even if they do.

Using all the males I interact with as a sampling to confirm my hypothesis [Razz]

My hubby, in particular, who stated he'd rather die than go through the stuff I'm going through medically speaking with treating the lyme.

--------------------
http://scottsbt.com/maureen/mo2.htm

Posts: 145 | From Mystic Island, NJ 08087 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beleive that most men are still in the
-denial stage
-macho stage (where they will NOT reach out)

Trout [Wink]

PS....men AND women....both work and struggle with this....I know that Steve meant well.
Guys....also, put themselves into the housekeeping etc...just like women...we do that and then other tings...so, lets NOT get onto a male bashing contest....please.

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Groovy.

Here's my theory and I'm stickin to it.

Women post more than men because women tend to want to reach out and help others.

Obviously there are lots of exceptions on this Board -- and you're one of em!

[Big Grin]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i cant miss work just cause i have some disease, i would loose my source of income.
It may not be your choice after all. Please Dont throw stones from your glass house.

[ 01. March 2006, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: trails ]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Research on the differential between men and women using illness support groups has suggested that men are far less likely to use that option. In general, men want information and are less inclined to share their intimate thoughts and experiences. IMO, it's partly cultural and partly hard-wired.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The few message boards that I've been involved with (not Lyme related) have all been predominantly female.

I don't know why.

When I first came here I was surprised at the amount of men posting.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed the same thing and pointed it out to my LLMD, he thought that testosterone perhaps had a protective effect against Lyme disease.

I do know that when I was tested, in addition to all my hormones being out of whack, my testosterone was low. It is interesting to note that smilax (sarsaparilla) is reputed to have testosterone boosting properties in addition to being a potent antimicrobial.

Also it is my understanding that women more frequently become ill with Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, MS and Alzheimer's.

I think too often the medical community, until recently, has primarily looked at men as the medical model, and has automatically attributed findings from male subjects to women without take into account intrinsic differences.

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveInMinnesota:
I think that maybe they have more time to post. Regardless of how "equal" our society is, many of the guys that I know with Lyme Disease, are continuing to work will battling with the disease. In any free time, they sleep. That's my 2 cents on it.

Hmm. I usually post between 6:00-7:00 a.m. before I leave for work.

As for men "continuing to work while battling the disease' and sleeping in any 'free time,' I work full time and then in my 'free time' I cook, clean, run amok after a teenager, and am a single parent. So my 'free time' starts about 10:00 at night. Ha ha.

You're right, Steve. Our society will never be "equal." For example, in working couples, women still come home AFTER WORK and do 90% of the work around the home. Always have, probably always will.

I suppose being married and having another source of income might have enabled me to take disability when I most needed it.

However, the thought of being married scares me worse than having Lyme.

[Eek!]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guys are here, but you'll find us more in the threads that deal with the nuts and bolts of the disease, or squabbling about politics in off topic.

I think David nailed it, It's part culture and part genetic, at least speaking for myself I don't emote very freely, so I avoid the heavily emotional support threads, thinking if I try to force it, I'll come across as phony sounding.

There are some exceptions though, and I've been surprised a number of times to find that somebody I've pictured just from the posting name isn't the gender I thought.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree that women are more likely than men to communicate, and that women are more likely than men to seek medical treatment, I also believe that more women than men are being infected with Lyme disease.

Most everyone I know who has Lyme disease is female, and when I hear about someone who has Lyme disease, they are usually female. I think Gwen's note about testosterone is interesting.

Would like to hear others' experience and opinions on this.

P

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to read bottom of my post on "we do NOT want you there (at SUPPORT group meeting in another city)! How's that for "SUPPORT"?

Many of us women want our 2 cents too!

My observations here this past 1.5 years by watching the NEW MEMBER name box is 50/50.

The more specific the topic title is, the more I see men join in.

Bottom line: isn't it nice to sound off and receive the advice/experience of others on this 24/7 SUPPORT/educational board?

FYI, I was recently invited to a lyme support meeting in another city by the speaker who thought I could get alot out of meeting. So I decided to go, but called asking if I could ride with him since I don't drive out of town at night; yes!

The next day, the co-chair of group I "used" to belong to called me after 1.5 yrs. where we ended up NOT talking, emailing, or visiting each other again due to a neuro lyme blowup on their part.

Here's a brief of what was said w/no names ok.

Betty, this is ___. How are you; "not good at all". I thought you weren't coming to any more meetings; are you aware this is a support group meeting. YES. Well, I called ___, and was going to ride with him to the meeting when he told me you were going too.

Betty, "we do not want you at this meeting (meaning ALL meetings)!" Fine; then she hung up. Since I'd been so sick the last 2 days and was woken from a deep sleep, I had no comments nor was I up to going to the meeting. But had I been healthy & normal, she would have gotten a ear full!

I stopped yesterday at our local police dept. to see what harrassment charges were & protocol for them. Thought some of you might be interested in this....

He had me explain the incident. Has to be 2 occurrences; not one.

I could send her a certified letter WITH RETURN CARD SHOWING WHO SIGNED FOR THE LETTER requesting she not contact me any more by calls, email, mail, or stopping at my house.

If she did any one of them, then I could press charges with "fine could be up to $500 and PRISON up to 1 year!"

so don't mess with me anyone....LOL [tsk]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking just for myself:

I live in a Lyme-endemic state. The people I've heard of with this disease have been an almost equal number of men and women.

As far as the board: I'm not someone who frequents bbs, so I really don't know about the norm there. I just know I enjoy the mix of opinions and ideas and knowledge here, even when I don't necessarily agree with it.

I work with a lot of young guys, and I find them to be surprisingly open and candid. I've found that happens with a lot of the men here, too.

As I said...just my two cents

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveInMinnesota
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveInMinnesota     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle M:
Our society will never be "equal." For example, in working couples, women still come home AFTER WORK and do 90% of the work around the home. Always have, probably always will.
Michelle

It's interesting that in your defense of a "equal society" you quickly jump to a sexist remark like "women do 90% of all housework". I'm not sure where you pulled that number from, but most marriages reach some sort of balance or they fall apart.

Instead of turning this into a bashing contest, I'd like to relate a funny personal story regarding equality in marriage.

Shortly after getting married, my wife and I discussed the division of household chores. We both work about the same number of hours so we split up everything, right down the middle. My wife took her list and I took mine.

The next day, I got home from work and there was a woman vacumming our living room. I asked her what she was doing and she held up my wife's list and said "your wife hired me to do her half". It cracked me up - it still does, 25 years later.

Posts: 133 | From Rocheser, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,

I belive that the men are usually involved in the info and 'nuts and bolts' type threads.

I have read different things on how the men are into 'problem solving' while females are more 'balanced' in approaching both the physical needs and psychological needs.

Trout [Wink]

PS..I kick my wife OUT of the kitchen...I do the grocery shopping, and iron the laundry.

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/171/report_display.asp
Posts: 116 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its funny seeing everyone saying men this, and women that. from everything i have ever heard "lyme disease" infects more women than men. i have always heard the ratio is between 1:2 (66% women) to 1:4 (75% women)
it seems to me that it was created this way in the lab. everything i have seen suggests that the purpose the this disease is to degrade society and prevent more children being born. if you look at those that in power in this world, like those that sit on the board of the bilderbergers, council on forign relations (CFR), trilateral comission to name a few. they are very worried about over population and population control. any woman with any real infection will either be unable to have a normal baby, or get lucky with a fairly normal child, but pass the disease on. many women who are really sick though i would not expect to be able to have children. this disease is here as a part of a plan to destroy america and the other super powers of this world so that the people want a one world goverment, called the new world order. it says new world order in latin on the back of your dollar bills if you pay close attention (novus ordo seclorum). the back of the dollar bill is loaded full of their occult symbolism. look it up

"Dr. Donta reported on the effects of gender on host susceptibility in Lyme disease, CFS, FM and other multi-symptom diseases. In all these disorders, women appear to be more affected than men, usually at about 2:1 ratios. .... Treatment of chronic Lyme disease also seems to be gender-dependent to some degree, with men generally having more speedy and complete recoveries compared to women."

"Three- to four-times as many women as men have CFS, but the sex ratio is almost equal in affected children"

"Fibromyalgia affects about two percent of the United States population. However, more women are affected than men -- women with the disease outnumber men by about twenty to one."

"Compared with men, women are nine times more likely to develop fibromyalgia."

i think the fibro is higher because more women manifest the "lyme" (mycoplasma) this way. i am a guy by the way, but i got it like 8 years ago when i was a young teen.

Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my theory--heron to be refered to as "Linda's Theory."

I honest to God think more women get Lyme because when we get pregnant our bodies lower our immune system so our immune system will not attack the growing baby.

This is when I got REALLY sick--after having my first baby.

I believe this with all my heart but have nothig scientific to back it up with. But it makes sense that the Bb got a leg up when my immune system was down...

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Face it - there are more of us in this world, we look better, we smell better and therefore attract not only ticks, but mosquitoes more than men do.

Women do more of the work in the world on every continent and get less of the money than do men.

Education helps, but even so, take a poll of who cleans the toilets in the households of people here.....

Men are wonderful, delightful, helpful, and sweet, but shouldn't be allowed to run the world.

So there!

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Im with Ann on this one--
Women do Look better and
smell better - For Sure --

I go to a few medical sites
and it seams like there
is about a 8 or 9 women to 1 man--

A site that I go to for
Video editing help ect.
is just the oppisite--

Another good question might be--
How many men here Stop and ask
directions when they are Lost--

I ask for Directions All the time --
even when Im not lost --

I hope I have not broken any
Secret Vow by diong this--

But if I have--No guys told me --

As far as women running the world--
The new women president of Chila -
is Awsome -- Super Smart--and Nice--

The US Sure could use someone
like her --- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by groovy2:

Another good question might be--
How many men here Stop and ask
directions when they are Lost--

I ask for Directions All the time --
even when Im not lost --

I hope I have not broken any
Secret Vow by diong this--

But if I have--No guys told me --
Jay --

-

Do you read directions while assembling things, too?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay:

It is a proven fact that MEN cannot rule the world. But then neither can women. THAT is why this world is in such crummy shape.

Not the animals fault. Not the birds or fish's fault.

Not God's fault. It is and always has been mankinds fault.

I personally wonder how the heck anyone can even figure out WHO are men and WHO are women on this board. Hardly no one signs their first name, even. The handles mean nothing.

It should be a rule, that we sign either Mr. Mrs. or Ms on ALL of our posts, then we will know WHO we are talking to.

Many times, I thought I was talking to a guy on here, and found out later it wasn't. Just a "liberated" female.

As far as opening up about things, THAT is what I do. My wife definitely does not. SHE thinks you are a weakling IF you do that. It runs in her family, she says. She never heard of any of her relatives aches and pains, even when they were dying.

Sounds like there are MANY men who just have answered THIS post, eh? [Big Grin]

I don't know HOW a woman can have the TIME to do 90% of the housework, especially with all the time they spend on this board. Housework must be real easy IF that is the case.

Just MO

MR. Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement