LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How Many Of you Are on Disability?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Many Of you Are on Disability?
hopeandme
Member # 8803

Icon 9 posted      Profile for hopeandme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gals & Guys-

I am just wondering how many of you are on disability? I struggle with decision everyday. I keep saying I am going on it but than think about all I am going to lose. I don't really give a XCBP about what I am going to lose. I just think about what my family is going to lose and what they may have to endure. My situation is a little different because I have bi-racial children and the places where we would have to move are not accepting of that. Where we live now is so diverse but if I go on disability we will no longer be able to live here.

Sorry to get off the subject. Anyway, if you go on disability for Lyme do you have to prove positive test results or will the symptoms be enough? My LLMD has diagnosed with Lyme disease & babesia as well as many co-infections but only the co-infections came up positive with Igenex. The Lyme came up as indeterminate. In her mind (the LLMD's) there is no doubt I have Lyme. I just don't know what to do. Should I keep on and fight or go on disability. I feel so sick most days but I did have 2 good days for the first time since September last week.

Thanks!
Hope [confused]

--------------------
HopeandMe

Posts: 61 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope,

Only you can determine if you are able to work. For me, I had to quit for a time as the herxing was so bad. Then, after awhile, I recovered enough to return to work and I noticed I seemed to feel better when I got out around people. So I think my time off was really good for dealing with the worst of the herxing and then I seemed to be recovering best by being out and busy. My work is desk work so not to taxing on me physically.

I feel very sorry for all of you who have children. I know this has to be so hard on you.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is a decision you have to make for yourself.

I can share a bit of my story.

When this hit hard in late August i worked for about 2 weeks. After that I could not work, i was too dizzy to even stand. I went out on short term disability.

Went back to work from Dec-Feb....struggled. Treatment started in Dec which did not make things easy. Coworkers constantly asking how i was doing,.....WOW you lost a ton of weight...blah blah blah.

My company put me back out on disability because my LLMD said i could only work from home. The company said nope not allowed.

My main symptom involves my bladder and the multiple trips to the bathroom were wearing me out so much. Not to mention the long car ride to work and I still cannot drive.

For me, im so much better off here at home for now....ive noticed more better days. I can rest.

Hope do you have disability availabel thru your work?

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big welcome to the board. Breaking up for legibilit for us neuro lymies and double spacing needed in future. Thanks Hope.

quote:
Originally posted by hopeandme:

Hi Gals & Guys-

I am just wondering how many of you are on disability? I struggle with decision everyday.

I keep saying I am going on it but than think about all I am going to lose. I don't really give a XCBP about what I am going to lose.

I just think about what my family is going to lose and what they may have to endure.

My situation is a little different because I have bi-racial children and the places where we would have to move are not accepting of that. Where we live now is so diverse but if I go on disability we will no longer be able to live here.

Sorry to get off the subject. Anyway, if you go on disability for Lyme, do you have to prove positive test results or will the symptoms be enough?

My LLMD has diagnosed with Lyme disease & babesia as well as many co-infections but only the co-infections came up positive with Igenex. The Lyme came up as indeterminate. In her mind (the LLMD's) there is no doubt I have Lyme.

I just don't know what to do. Should I keep on and fight or go on disability. I feel so sick most days but I did have 2 good days for the first time since September last week.

Thanks!Hope [confused]

You asked the right question to me; boy, do I have experience on that. Took 5 hellish years, but I won 7-1-05 on my 2nd SSDI app.

I'll copy paste into here on DISINISSUES, disability insurance issues area, below PLUS my personal experience & suggestions had I known any different at the beginning. Here you go.
------------------------------------------

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET SS DISABILITY INSURANCE BENEFITS

Hi! I know what you mean about memory & typing, etc....it's the pits!

I do suggest you join the FREE DISINISSUES and read thoroughly or just print it all off of the FEMALE MD with chronic fatigue, etc. she gives wonderful, detailed examples that DDS, disability reps, want to approve/deny you.

Also have you looked thru the ADULT APPROVED LIST OF IMPAIRMENTS? That's critical also!

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/
bluebook/1.00-Musculoskeletal-Adult.htm

note 1.04; look at the rest of the 14 other specific areas too....

I printed off 1-14 sections showing what brief guidelines were for each section.
I used that against ALL my medical reocrds, 3" thick!! Then I went to their DETAILED specifics for the sections that applied to my illnesses!

TIMECONSUMING....TOOK ALL 7 WEEKS from my notice of my ALJ hearing date!

So you have NOT submitted your INITIAL APP TO SS OFFICE, correct? Good, you want this to be as complete as possible so they can NOT turn you down on the 1st step as they do us all!!

\=============================================
What I did with an online friend was this: prepared a chart noting the specific
section of 1 - 14 that my diagnosed illnesses showed the wording, dr. seen & date.

Example, 14.09 LYME disease is mentioned in but doesn't give any examples.
So I showed 14.09 with my drs. name & date plus specific details about each
visit where lyme symptoms were stated..

I hope you have a copy of ALL MEDICAL REPORTS...drs., xrays, all blood labs.

It's critical that you KEEP A COPY FOR YOURSELF!
==========================================

On mine, I showed the date mailed to ALJ & LAWYER PLUS I kept a copy.
Then I went to copy center nearby & copied and mailed promptly to lawyer per his request.

WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT: if you have an ALJ hearing, request thru your local SS office to REVIEW your complete SSDI app at THEIR local office!
When you see things you submitted with your writing on, don't look at them!

Look & read only the secretative RFC & MFC done by the the in-staff DDS DRS/PSYCHOOGISTS! You want to make copies of ALL the stuff they have &
other stuff you don't have so you can use that info against them!

good lawyer list from disinissues
http://www.cfids-me.org/disinissues/lawyers.html

RFC link is: http://pbcers.org/rfcq.htm

ACTIVITY DAILY LOG, ADL link is:
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oHfvQzZLYvcfvmUv
V4L_ayW4_l5PFECbH9UA2BR_YfE66JZ0ZSxttbcO7NZqu
HpjUfnUxG9wWuH7WPXAzrR7YqCnrsO80V5hSxJwduQ/
Activities%20of%20Daily%20Living%20questionnaire

At moment, can NOT find MFC questionnaire, but look at site on links/files. It is there but not visible to my eyes presently.

=======================================

NOTE: I'D DO THIS DIFFERENTLY NOW! SEND 1 COPY TO ALJ and 1 to your lawyer!

Lawyer did NOT SEND MY REPORTS TO DDS STAFF PROMPTLY; they didn't see many things when they denied me although I had good medical info!

Examples, 2 RFC, residual function capacity done by PCP dr. of 26 yrs. & rheumatologist;

plus 2 MFC, mental function capacity, done by psychiatrist & psychologist....
the 1st person was the one judge used in APPROVING my 2nd claim for severe depression/effective disorder & anxiety.

ALJ's don't like working with LYME, FIBRO, CHRONIC FATIGUE.
MENTAL is on approved list of adult approved impairment list! So don't fight it, go with it!

==================================================
IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET SS DISABILITY INSURANCE BENEFITS
=================================================
This message is sent upon subscription, and again monthly.
Please let the moderators know if any of the links have changed.

There are several links found by clicking on 'Links' on the website or by going directly to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues/links

There are many more links, as well as advice, in the "useful" messages in the Files area of the website. Go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues
and click on Files.

BETTY NOTE: Look at the female MD's DETAILED BACKGROUND right below this paragraph. Print off her detailed responses as to why she could
NOT do her job, and then apply that to YOUR own job as to why you no longer can do any type of sustainable work now nor in the foreseeable future!

http://www.cfids-me.org/socsec.html

These links are a compilation of several areas of interest which are commonly requested and mentioned. They reflect the collected wisdom
of this group. Check them out - you just might find the information you were looking for! Take a look at Files that are not specific to
your situation, because they might be helpful anyway - what works for Social Security may work for LTD claims, what applies to CFS may apply
to your medical condition.

The Welcome Message and Group Guidelines are also in Files, if you need a refresher on how this group works.

You must register with Yahoo to use the website, but note:
Be careful not to permit your address to be put into the directory
when you register. Put as little as possible into your public profile.
You do not need a Yahoo address to use the website. Your email address
is what Yahoo calls your "alternate address."
Contact the moderators at
[email protected]
or for AOL subscribers:
Click here
-----------------------------------------~-->
Disinissues website -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues

To reach the list moderators, write to:
[email protected]

DO NOT FORWARD ANY MESSAGE FROM Disinissues
WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR
Do not distribute any member's email address.

NO MESSAGE ON THIS LIST IS TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE
--------------------------------------------~->
Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues/
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

An online friend of mine from disinissues web site posted this info today, so I have copied it over here.

Subject: fibro/CFS disability info [Disinissues] what does an Functional Capacity
Exam entail?

Lyme, fibro, & CFS support group members who are/will be filing for SS Disability insurance benefits, please go to the web page shown below.

There were 9 pages of info I printed below area where you can order from fibro
network a 70 page packet. I too plan on including this info when I send my
FINAL packet of info to chief alj before my June 16, 05 hearing...my last
chance! =======================================

Please read the site mentioned on: WHY DISABILITY TESTING FOR FMS
IS OFTEN MISLEADING ADVICE FOR FM/CFS PATIENTS AND THEIR
DISABILITY TEAM.....

Also after this article are the following articles:

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING DELAYED-PHASE FLARES?

BENNETT'S METHOD FOR ASSESSING FUNCTION IN FMS..

TECTONIC CHANGES IN DISABILITY LAW by lawyer Joshua Potter,
CALIF.

MEDICALLY DETERMINABLE IMPAIRMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR CFS & FMS

DOCUMENTIONATION...VIEW IT AS AN INSURANCE POLICY

I printed this out in larger print for my eyes....9 pages! Will read it thoroughly

and mark up 2nd copy to go to ALJudge for my 2nd hearing as medical evidence also.

Now you are overwhelmed w/info but concentrate on the female MDs detailed info she furnished to local SS office who approved 1st time, 1ST STEP!
good luck & read galore!

Don't procrastinate on this; you can lose money!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Have Lyme Etc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Have Lyme Etc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hope
I've been on SSD since 1997. Yes, in order to qualify for SSD you must have a diffinative diagnosis and the medical records to back it up.

I like you had put off applying for it for almost 3 years because I was "always going to get well enough to go to back to work" unfortunately for me that didn't happen. It was a long battle I think mostly because I was only in my 20's at the time when I originally applied (SSD doesn't like giving permanenet dis to someone so young) and I also didnt have a lawyer the first time around.

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
 -
My Blog--
http://learnaboutlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Posts: 209 | From South Carolina by the beach | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on SSD since 1986. I was one of the first people in the U.S. to win a disability case for Fibromyalgia. That was the first year anyone with FMS ever won disability, and only 17 of us in the whole country got it.

Of course, it was really Lyme, but I did not find that out until 2 1/2 yrs. ago.

I had no choice. Every time I tried to work, I collapsed on the floor of my office and had to be taken off to the hospital. I could not walk without help, as my limbs kept going numb on me.

The 3rd, and last, time I tried to go back to work, I was unable to stand up and get out of the car when I got home, and had to fall out onto the grass and crawl. Then I could not pull myself up high enough to get the key in the door and had to lay there forever until I got enough energy back.

I would apply NOW, if I were you. You can always cancel, but it takes over a year to win SSD in most cases. There is a huge backlog.

Also, there is a time limitation problem, unless they changed the rules since back when I got it. They look at your last few years of employment in determining your monthly money, so the longer you are out of work before applying, the less you may get. You don't want to end up on SSI instead of SSD, since it is far less than half the amount per month of SSD in most cases.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey hopeandme,

i went on dissability (not for lyme) almost seven years ago. a year later i qualified for medicare health insurance (it takes one year from when dissability is awarded) and then three months after that i had an opportunity to try to work again at a place where i had worked several years back.

i wasn't sure i could do it, but disability gives you a couple of months to try out working witnout going off your dissability (as long as it's within a certain dollar amt. that you're not making too much). i found that i could work, so i notified them that i could. i am working disabled. i need medicare to be able to work because it pays for certain necessary tx.

i know this sounds confusing, but it is fairly simple. once you are approved, and a year goes by, you can give up your dissability check, but keep the medicare if you go back to work.

i know it's a very hard decision to make. no one wants to grow up and go on disability. but, it doesn't mean you can't get well and be able to go off of it. i doesn't mean that you are a different person where it really counts (inside).

good luck.

gotta go.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

I applied for disability after being out of work for six months. It took me that long to admit I can't work any longer.

I would not recommend this, because it takes so long to get on disability. I've still not been approved, and I'm living on child support.

I would suggest that you apply anyway, even if you're not sure. Most people are denied the first time, and it really does take a very long time to get it awarded.

aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on SSD since 1988. I waited several years before applying because I kept thinking I would get better.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeandme
Member # 8803

Icon 7 posted      Profile for hopeandme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the informative information. I am crying because I am so scared. At least I have your wisdom to lean on.

Thanks again!
Hope

--------------------
HopeandMe

Posts: 61 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Hope!

I have been sick for a long time but didn't get dx until this past summer. I started treatment in June, and, as I'd heard, I got much sicker before I started seeing improvements.

I've continued to work through this illness, and I'm really glad I made that decision.

That said, I should also explain that I'm self-employed, so I have some flexibility. I also cut back on my workload by about a third.

I have to drive a lot to do what I'm doing, and for a month at the beginning of treatment, that was difficult. Since then, I've just had to pace myself.

Working takes me out of myself and gets me out of the house. Now that I'm starting to feel better, I've increasing my workload. For me, it was important to try doing this.

There are others on this board who've done the same thing (I can think of four off-hand).

Mostly, I think it's got to be a completely individual decision.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phil444
Unregistered

I became extremely ill at the end of 1987. I was determined to to get well and be able to get back to work.

By 1993, after many many many doctors, diets and experimental alternative therapies, I was no better.

A friend of mine convinced me that even if I got on government help, if I got better, I could always get off it. So I applied.

They have a code No. For chronic fatigue syndrome. So I made that my number one problem. I also included chemical sensitivity and lyme disease.(They always refuse you the first time). So don't get discouraged!

It took two years from the time I applied until I receive my disability. This is usually how long it takes. The good news is, if you do win your case, you get back pay , from the time you applied. Two years from me, a nice lump sum!

Health and Happiness, Phil

Elizabeth in MN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth in MN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!

I went on short term, part-time disability while continuing to work part-time in May 2004 when I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I planned on recovering and going back to work.

Instead, I got sicker and sicker until Jan 2005 when I just couldn't work any more. Been on full-time, private disability since then. The private company denied my full-time disability at first, but I got accepted on appeal because I had a great lawyer.

The private disability insurance company required me to apply for SSDI, which I received without having to appeal, probably because I reused all the paperwork I'd gathered for the private insurance appeal.

My advice: Consult with a really good lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you learn how to make sure your doctors are recording the right information that will help you avoid denials. If I had seen my lawyer well before applying for ST or LT disability, I probably would have not been denied the first time.

My next concern is having to navigate my private disability insurance company's occasional investigation into my health now that I have Lyme as an additional diagnosis to FMS. THAT should be interesting.

Has anyone else had to change or add Lyme to a diagnosis after already getting on disability?

Elizabeth

PS: One thing I regret is that I continued to work part-time when I was getting more sick in 2004. I can see now that I only made myself sicker and caused myself a lot of needless suffering.

--------------------
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Come visit my blog! http://forcesofnature.wordpress.com/

Posts: 126 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many people are using low dose minocycline for rheumatoid arthritis.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Social Security Disability, with a Lyme diagnosis. It is hard to do, but I finally had no choice.

If going on disability makes you worse off financially, which it sounds like it would or else why would you have to move ? Your right, you should think long and hard about it. Moving is very stressful, living in a bad place is stresfull, and stress is bad for Lyme. Stressed kids are bad for Lyme parents too.

In my case, I was going broke without it, I was holding down a 6 hr one day a week part time job that left me unable to do anything else all week. And, I only did this seasonally.

If I hadnt gotten the disability, we would have had to sell the house for sure, I was awfull close to having to, juggling 2nd loans and charge cards. I am a divorced mom with 3 kids, no other wage earners in the house. It was pretty embarassing going to the local food bank for food, also.

Its not easy to qualify for social security. Are you talking about going on short term disability from your work ? We have more more, less stress, and less kid embarassment now that Im on disability, but sounds like that might not be the case for you ?

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMA said:

quote:

If you feel you cannot work because you are too ill and your physician agrees, you should apply for disability. The money you may be eligible for could be beneficial in your treatment and could mean the difference in you getting well or not. If you are able to work but choose not to, do not apply for disability.
quote:

Disability is not a choice. It is what happens when you have no choice. For me, there was no decision-making aspect about it. I would kill to be a productive citizen again.

It took me 5 years to get SSD. I lived on retirement money I had. I didn't find I had Lyme until 2 months ago, so don't know how that might affect my periodic SSD reviews.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMA, I meant to put in my post that I quoted you because I totally agreed with what you said. Sorry for any confusion - my fault.

Tracy [bonk]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earthsong15
Member # 7471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earthsong15   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi- I went on SSDI about 6 years ago. I still work part time and get all of my benefits. You are able to make $12,000 a year and still get full benefits. I find that I feel worse on weekends when I let my body rest and feel better when I am at work.

My biggest mistake was that I should have gone on disability when I was still married. Unforunately I chose to get divorced 8 years ago and since when i applied I was no longer married, my benefits were not great. I had not worked while raising my kids, my husband made the money. You don't get rewarded for that!

So, I only had 5 years of working and paying into social security before going on disability. Oooops!

Posts: 85 | From Eugene | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement