LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Self-Praise, half scandal-a letter to Dr. J

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self-Praise, half scandal-a letter to Dr. J
Thomas Parkman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Parkman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Members of the List:

I am seldom satisfied with my writings but for once with the letter I am mailing off today to Dr. Jones I am pleased. I thought you might like to read it. No doubt somebody will find some way to shoot it out of the water!! Cheers. Thomas Parkman

March 1, 2006

Charles Ray Jones, MD
Madison Towers
111 Park Street, First Floor, Suite F
New Haven, CT 06492

Dear Dr. Jones:

I have learned with great concern and dismay of the actions being taken against you. I have wondered what, if anything, I might do that would be of some use to you at this time. As I understand certain of the facts in your case, you prescribed antibiotics for a child in another state who was ill with Lyme disease before seeing him. I submit for your information a short article appearing in a 2005 issue of the ``Lancet'' which I think could provide a succinct description of the current problems in the treatment of Lyme disease and could provide you with a clear response to the criticism made against you.

The plain truth is that conventional medical practice is twenty years out of date in its understanding and treatment of this incredibly insidious and deadly disease. There is, in the words of the enclosed article: ``...a growing problem with Lyme disease: while what is known about the basic science of this tick-borne illness becomes more complex, the clinical science remains relatively simplistic and uninformed.'' Further, ``... chronic infection that allows the spirochaete's complex pathophysiological mechanisms to unfold can result in tenacious tissue invasion that is extremely difficult to eradicate.''

Doctors simply will not understand, it seems, that Lyme disease cripples, Lyme disease can kill you. Unless caught and treated quickly it can and will turn your life into a living hell, a life racked by the most appalling suffering. How many people have I talked to who have expressed the fervent wish: if only it had been caught in time! I am one of those people. Why the medical profession is in this state of total denial is something nobody can understand.

You are looked upon in the Lyme community with the most profound respect and gratitude. You by your example and practice are the living embodiment of what the word doctor really means. The sad truth is that the human race as a whole has a very poor track record. You and people like you redeem the reputation of humanity.

The Centers for Disease Control has repeatedly stated that a diagnosis of Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis. They have admitted that the statistics on Lyme disease are totally unreliable. Nobody knows how many cases there really are. The testing is unreliable.

You possess a body of knowledge, experience and clinical understanding of Lyme disease, particularly its often unusual or unique manifestations in pediatric Lyme disease which is irreplaceable and literally beyond price. With the clinical experience of treating some eight thousand (8,000) children, you posses an extraordinary and extremely rare understanding of this disease. To revoke the license to practice medicine of such a pre-imminent authority in the treatment of Lyme disease would be worse than a crime, it would be a heinous blunder Were this travesty of justice to succeed, what would then happen to the hundreds, indeed thousands of children who benefit from your care? There would be no point in returning to that ``standard of care'' medical practice which has miserably failed them. To do so would not only be a waste of their time and money, but would only add to their suffering.

This whole persecution against you is driven by the worst kind of medical arrogance, ignorance and folly. To allow it to succeed would be the height of cruelty. To permit a doctor who has done the good you have done to be ensnared or caught up in the trivia of scoring points in a child custody case is a disgrace. Those who are perpetrating this vicious action do not know their shame for the shame that it is.

I hope the information contained in this letter is of help to you. I feel very proud and indeed honored to be able to join so many hundreds of others in supporting you and in contributing to your cause. So fight the good fight with all thy might! People everywhere are rising up and calling you blessed.

With Respect and Best Wishes,

Thomas M. Parkman
4409 B Trenholm Road
Columbia, SC 29206

--------------------
Thomas Parkman

Posts: 341 | From Columbia SC 29206 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas,

That, indeed, is a letter to be proud of. It's a gift to Dr. J as well. You have said it all and said it well...

Thank you!

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas:

That is a spectacularly written letter, and I rarely offer such a compliment. Those who know me know that I am a tough editor. My own work rarely passes my muster!

Suzanne

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incredible letter!
Bravo,sir, you are a treasure!

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas, breaking up the long paagraphs for my neuro brain as I always get a kick out of your "work"! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Parkman:

Dear Members of the List:

I am seldom satisfied with my writings but for once with the letter I am mailing off today to Dr. Jones I am pleased. I thought you might like to read it. No doubt somebody will find some way to shoot it out of the water!!
Cheers. Thomas Parkman

March 1, 2006

Charles Ray Jones, MD
Madison Towers
111 Park Street, First Floor, Suite F
New Haven, CT 06492

Dear Dr. Jones:

I have learned with great concern and dismay of the actions being taken against you. I have wondered what, if anything, I might do that would be of some use to you at this time.

As I understand certain of the facts in your case, you prescribed antibiotics for a child in another state who was ill with Lyme disease before seeing him.

I submit for your information a short article appearing in a 2005 issue of the ``Lancet'', which I think could provide a succinct description of the current problems in the treatment of Lyme disease and could provide you with a clear response to the criticism made against you.

The plain truth is that conventional medical practice is twenty years out of date in its understanding and treatment of this incredibly insidious and deadly disease.

There is, in the words of the enclosed article: ``...a growing problem with Lyme disease: while what is known about the basic science of this tick-borne illness becomes more complex, the clinical science remains relatively simplistic and uninformed.''

Further, ``... chronic infection that allows the spirochaete's complex pathophysiological mechanisms to unfold can result in tenacious tissue invasion that is extremely difficult to eradicate.''

Doctors simply will not understand, it seems, that Lyme disease cripple; Lyme disease can kill you. Unless caught and treated quickly, it can and will turn your life into a living hell; a life racked by the most appalling suffering.

How many people have I talked to who have expressed the fervent wish: if only it had been caught in time! I am one of those people.

Why the medical profession is in this state of total denial is something nobody can understand.

You are looked upon in the Lyme community with the most profound respect and gratitude. You by your example and practice, are the living embodiment of what the word doctor really means.

The sad truth is that the human race as a whole has a very poor track record. You and people like you redeem the reputation of humanity.

The Centers for Disease Control has repeatedly stated that a diagnosis of Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis. They have admitted that the statistics on Lyme disease are totally unreliable. Nobody knows how many cases there really are. The testing is unreliable.

You possess a body of knowledge, experience and clinical understanding of Lyme disease, particularly its often unusual or unique manifestations in pediatric Lyme disease, which is irreplaceable and literally beyond price.

With the clinical experience of treating some eight thousand (8,000) children, you posses an extraordinary and extremely rare understanding of this disease.

To revoke the license to practice medicine of such a pre-imminent authority in the treatment of Lyme disease, would be worse than a crime; it would be a heinous blunder.

Were this travesty of justice to succeed, what would then happen to the hundreds, indeed thousands of children who benefit from your care?

There would be no point in returning to that ``standard of care'' medical practice, which has miserably failed them. To do so would not only be a waste of their time and money, but would only add to their suffering.

This whole persecution against you is driven by the worst kind of medical arrogance, ignorance, and folly.

To allow it to succeed would be the height of cruelty.

To permit a doctor who has done the good you have done to be ensnared or caught up in the trivia of scoring points in a child custody case is a disgrace.

Those who are perpetrating this vicious action do not know their shame for the shame that it is.

I hope the information contained in this letter is of help to you. I feel very proud and indeed honored to be able to join so many hundreds of others in supporting you and in contributing to your cause.

So fight the good fight with all thy might! People everywhere are rising up and calling you blessed.

With Respect and Best Wishes,

Thomas M. Parkman
4409 B Trenholm Road
Columbia, SC 29206

enclosure enclosed

Thomas, you outdid yourself on this one. It touched my heart as well as all lymies, and undoubtedly will touch Dr. Jones too!

It's great having you on the LYME side; go get 'em tiger!

Thomas, I not only broke up the paragraphs but made very minor punctuation changes as well.

Again, thank you sir for a JOB WELL DONE! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with all of the above. Thank you for sharing your letter with us.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1689 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have expected nothing less from you Thomas...wondeful writing.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an amazingly clear and strong articulation regarding Doctor Jones' case, the plight of the children who are chronically ill with these diseases, and the stark realities of the medical terrain regarding persistant Lyme disease.

Might I also suggest e-mailing this to Lorraine Johnson at CALDA who is working on his case, and may I forward this letter to a couple of other groups?

It will not only be a moving inspiration to Doc J and his team, but to the rest of us who stand behind him in solidarity.

Mo

[ 03. March 2006, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Mo ]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas. I agree with all the above said posters.
Job well done.
[woohoo]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bow]
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job!

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lydie
Unregistered

I believe they need letters that are short and to the point, demonstrating personal first-hand experience of kids being treated by Dr. J. and getting well, preferably with objective proof of some kind, after being misdiagnosed or mistreated by mainstream MD's.

Honestly, I think this letter will just add to the work of the lawyers who have to sift through voluminous amounts of material. Eloquence is probably irrelevant. The Board members will only get more riled by letters like this, in my opinion, and will dismiss it as coming from another overwrought Lyme patient.

There is a slight need for proofreading . Minor errors take away from credibility. "Spirochete" and "pre-eminent," and a few typos. Typos happen a lot with Lyme: I know from personal experience.

Thomas Parkman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Parkman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lydie, et al.
The letter was not written for Dr. Jones lawyers, I am well aware that it will never be used in his case, it was written to Dr. Jones himself- to let him hear the truth from somebody who has never even met him or been treated by him. To help encourage him in what has got to be an incredible ordeal.

You did not see the crucial part of the letter, which was written for the lawyers, namely the article from the "Lancet". That was the point of the letter. it is the best argument about Lyme disease I have ever seen.

I know what it is to have your integrity as a human being attacked in the most malicious fashion and even though the charges are baseless, it does something to you. It changes the way you look at people and the world. It hurts, so I thought it would be a good idea to let Dr. Jones hear something that just might encourage him, if only a little.

As for the typos and misspellings well I cannot type and I cannot spell. I would go and fall on one of the knives I keep in my kitchen- I love to cook and am an awful cook-but I would have to wade through my kitchen to find one.

You do not want to go there. I can Never, EVER find anything when I need it. So here I am trying to find a knife to commit hara-kiri-all because of typos and spelling erros-and I never find one. They must have disappeared into cyber space. Or the electrician fixing the light fixtures that I broke stole them.

If I did find one it would probably be too dull. Then I could not find my knife sharpening stones and on and on it would go. Plus it would only make the mess in my apartment even worse!!! So you see, I just cannot win. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

--------------------
Thomas Parkman

Posts: 341 | From Columbia SC 29206 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Parkman, please stay away from sharp objects;we need you! Your grammar and spelling are pristine.

I am sure Dr. J will be very moved by your letter and thank the articulate,intelligent man who wrote it.

Do you have the documentation on the Lancet article you mentioned - Title, month, volume or such?

I would love to read that.

Your fervent English teacher admirer.
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FightFireWithWater
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, am quite certain that Dr. Jones will be very pleased to receive your letter.

Thanks so much for all that you have done for the cause.

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Foggy:
[bow]

Awesome!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many Thanks Thomas -

The spelling was good enough for me. I thought some of the "typos" were British spellings a la Lancet!

I'm sure Dr. Jones will appreciate the eloquent support.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Einstein was a terrible speller as well. I don't even bother with spell chekcer any more as it continues to tell me how I have screwed up. I don't need a computer program to tell me that.

Well done Thomas!

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really nice, Thomas!

You have it addressed to Dr. Jones, not his lawyer, I noticed. Send it to him. I think he would appreciate your clarity as someone who is not a patient looking at this.

He may be interested in the Lancet article, as an example of something very recent that describes the 2 standards of care, but I daresay he and his team have a pretty good handle on the issues.

My thanks for your well-written letter.
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
love your dry humor

[spinning smile]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo, Thomas!
Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would someone post the Lancet article?

Thank you,
Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am copying the full article here from Thomas' other thread:

The Lancet 2005; 366:1771

DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67721-5

Lyme disease: scratching the surface

Steven E Phillips a, Nick S Harris a, Richard Horowitz a, Lorraine Johnson a and Raphael B Stricker a

The excellent Comment by Ulrike Munderloh and Timothy Kurtti (Sept 17, p 962)1 describes the complex life cycle of Borrelia burgdorferi, the spirochaetal agent of Lyme disease, as it traffics between tick and mammalian hosts. The Comment highlights a growing problem with Lyme disease: while what is known about the basic science of this tick-borne illness becomes more complex, the clinical science remains relatively simplistic and uninformed.2 This divergence has produced a disconnection between the recognition of B burgdorferi as one of the most invasive and elusive bacteria known to man, and the clinical perception that Lyme disease is ``hard to catch and easy to cure''.

The complexity of the Lyme disease spirochaete goes beyond the features described by Munderloh and Kurtti. With more than 1500 gene sequences, B burgdorferi contains at least 132 functioning genes; by comparison, the spirochaetal agent of syphilis, Treponema pallidum, contains only 22 such genes.2 Furthermore, the Lyme disease spirochaete contains 21 plasmids (nine circular and 12 linear).2 This is by far the largest number of plasmids found in any known bacterium, and the large number of plasmid genes is thought to provide a rapid response system that allows the spirochaete to cycle efficiently between ticks and mammals.3 Gene exchange and plasmid transfers among Borrelia strains can also increase the pathogenicity of the organism.3

In the mammalian milieu, B burgdorferi uses the host fibrinolytic system to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and gain access to the central nervous system. The Lyme disease spirochaete contains a secretory mechanism for porin, adhesin, and haemolysin proteins, and these secreted products can contribute to the invasive properties of the organism.4 The spirochaete can enter cells such as fibroblasts, synovial cells, endothelial cells, and macrophages. In these cells, it becomes functionally resistant to treatment, partly due to ``camouflage'' proteins produced by itself or adsorbed from the cell, and partly due to altered morphology as the spirochaete assumes a non-replicating cyst form.2 The immune evasion strategy used by B burgdorferi is similar to strategies used by the mycobacterial agents that cause chronic infections such as tuberculosis or leprosy.2 These organisms also exist as non-replicating cyst forms that can be ``resuscitated'' by autocrine cytokine-like factors after lying dormant for months. B burgdorferi has been shown to use luxS, an autoinducer gene used by other bacteria, to regulate replication.5 It is the first time that this autoinducer gene has been identified in a spirochaete. Thus the combination of genetic complexity, intracellular localisation, immune evasion, and autoregulation makes the Lyme disease spirochaete a formidable infectious agent.2

By contrast with the complex basic science of B burgdorferi outlined above, a popular clinical notion is that Lyme disease can be cured with 2-4 weeks of antibiotics. Although this might be true of promptly treated acute B burgdorferi infection, chronic infection that allows the spirochaete's complex pathophysiological mechanisms to unfold can result in tenacious tissue invasion that is extremely difficult to eradicate. Understanding the pathophysiological complexity of this organism should help to improve our clinical approach to Lyme disease.2

We declare that we have no conflict of interest.

References
1. Munderloh UG, Kurtti TJ. The ABCs of Lyme disease spirochaetes in ticks. Lancet 2005; 366: 962-964. Full Text | PDF (41 KB) | CrossRef

2. Stricker RB, Lautin A, Burrascano JJ. Lyme disease: point/counterpoint. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2005; 3: 155-165.

3. Qiu WG, Schutzer SE, Bruno JF, et al. Genetic exchange and plasmid transfers in Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto revealed by three-way genome comparisons and multilocus sequence typing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101: 14150-14155. MEDLINE | CrossRef

4. Cluss RG, Silverman DA, Stafford TR. Extracellular secretion of the Borrelia burgdorferi Oms28 porin and Bgp, a glycosaminoglycan binding protein. Infect Immun 2004; 72: 6279-6286. MEDLINE | CrossRef

5. Stevenson B, von Lackum K, Wattier RL, McAlister JD, Miller JC, Babb K. Quorum sensing by the Lyme disease spirochete. Microbes Infect 2003; 5: 991-997. MEDLINE | CrossRef

Gretchen P
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gretchen P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas,
I would like to personally thank you for being a voice for all of us. My 13 yr old daughter was diagnosed in Jan with IgM posit6ive lyme.

Dr Jones' office got us in within 6 days of calling even though we had to fly to get to him there was nothing that was going to stop me.

Your letter brought tears to my eyes as I read it. Thank you for being an advocate for me( I also have lyme) and my daughter. I do not know where I would have turned if the world did not have Dr Jones.

My daughters pediatrician undertreated her 3 yrs ago as well as denied having her tested at Igenex. I found a local GP ( who's best friend died of lyme last April ) to test my daughter. When she came back positive he called and said, "Find a specialist!"

Knowing what I knew from my own research into the disease I was diagnosed with in Nov I knew there was NO ONE else on the face of this earth that I would have treat my daughter.... Dr Jones was my ONLY answer.

After meeting him and his office staff I knew God had directed me to where we needed to be!

Again I can not thank you enough for encouraging this wonderful man to put up the strongest fight possible!

I only hope your letter has inspired others to write... I myself have written a letter via his attorney and have contributed to his legal defense fund. If they can take away Dr Jones from our babies they can certainly take away our llmds from us!

God Bless you for the wisdom he has given you to write such an articulate letter that may help thousands of children and lyme patients! Peace!

[woohoo] [woohoo] [woohoo]

--------------------
I'm gonna get that lyme !!!

Posts: 61 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gretchen P
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gretchen P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know only AFTER typing my response to Thomas did I go back and read all the posts the community has left for him.What a mistake!

I was so moved by the letter he had written that I was so propelled to write a heartfelt response. Feeling good about what I said I read all the posted and was sorrowed and horrified that he would be attacked by someone here.

I thought we were all in this together... I was always taught>>>>>>> If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T say anything at all!!

Thomas you are a saint for writing your letter don't let misery blind you. Keep up the GREAT work!

--------------------
I'm gonna get that lyme !!!

Posts: 61 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Not to worry --

we ARE all in this together!

[group hug]

Mo

vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudos Thomas.

I could not have done as well.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Thomas -

Great Letter!!! I like that you wrote it to Dr. J for his own mental support. I am sure this is a stressful time for him and letters like this that are solely intended to give him understanding and a bolstering up are appreciated.

Now that you are all warmed up could you write a letter to the other Dr. J or one to his lawyers [Wink]

Thanks for taking the time you have to contribute!

P.S. Lydie, have you written your letter yet? I am sorry I couldn't resist... [Wink]

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sir,

You are obviously blessed with incredible communication and writing skills. I am so thankful that you are putting them to use unselfishly.

Have you thought about submitting some of your work to magazines like Reader's digest or Time that have extensive readership?

A book? My daughter self-published a work of fiction last yr through a company that will print on demand for even a few books at a time. It was very small investment on her part- $30. I imagine you could enjoy great success and be of great service to many.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

"So fight the good fight with all thy might! People everywhere are rising up and calling you blessed."

~ Thomas Parkman

Lydie
Unregistered

Quickly, I also alluded to Thomas' "eloquence" but tried to give constructive criticism, rather than absolute praise. I usually seek advice on letters myself. Thought that was what TP was doing. (BTW "spirochaete" is apparently a proper spelling, as it appears in the link, so I was wrong on that one )

A few weeks back, on one of these threads, I really never intended anything other than to express a sense of helplessness with all these letter-writing campaigns for LLMD's, and hope for change in the effects of Lyme advocacy on the mainstream.

A lot of people are doing a lot of work on these campaigns and it all helps. We are just feeling a little hopeless around here, after several years of treatment.

Please respect that our experience, however different from others, was very real. In turn, I will respect that you and our families had good experiences w/Dr. J. and I wish the campaign for any LLMD the very best.

[ 05. March 2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Lydie ]

brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lydie I'm going to guess as to whats going on. While I feel sorry for what you and your daughter are going through I wouldn't blame Dr. J.
I believe the hundreds of letters stating he has helped people. I also believe you and your daughter did not get better. The time window for people getting cured on antibiotics alone has closed rather quickly. His protocal (i assume is abx alone?) which has helped so many simply doesn't work anymore. It's not his fault, simply the inevitable borrelia resistance.

Again I can't just throw out the bad news. google what ASAP is doing in Africa. It's currently given status by the African government as an abx alternative. It's reported to be able to do some amazing stuff. oil of oregano is ONE example of a plants natural antimicrobial power. There are many. Everything in nature MUST have some antimicrobial defenses or it simply will not survive.

Like it or not we have to go back to nature. If ya think about it, where else would the answers come from? [Wink]
best of luck

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas your letter is beautiful [Wink] . It made me cry.

While I always love reading your work. This is

certainly one

to brag about. You are blessed with the ability

to write. I am sure it will inspire Dr Jones.

He is such a blessing and has helped my 4

children tremendously.

Now if Betty would just come along and bust up

the Lancet article so my lyme brain could get

thru it [Big Grin] .

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great writing, Thomas. Good for you!

Brent, I agree with you about alternatives... ASAP has been very successful for some people.

Best of luck to all.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Editing Lancelet article and double spacing. You called me LOL [Big Grin] I looked at this and SOB, scrolled on by, so fast; it just hurts my eyes to look at things like this. Enjoy; I learned more by editing & reading it; hope you do too.

Again, Thomas, you are the man of words; thank you my online friend for sharing that special talent of yours.

quote:
Originally posted by Mo:

I am copying the full article here from Thomas' other thread:

The Lancet 2005; 366:1771

Steven E Phillips a, Nick S Harris a, Richard Horowitz a, Lorraine Johnson a and Raphael B Stricker a

The excellent Comment by Ulrike Munderloh and Timothy Kurtti (Sept 17, p 962)1 describes the complex life cycle of Borrelia burgdorferi, the spirochaetal agent of Lyme disease, as it traffics between tick and mammalian hosts.

The Comment highlights a growing problem with Lyme disease:

. while what is known about the basic science of this tick-borne illness becomes more complex,

. the clinical science remains relatively simplistic and uninformed.2

This divergence has produced a disconnection between the recognition of B burgdorferi as one of the most invasive and elusive bacteria known to man, and the clinical perception that Lyme disease is ``hard to catch and easy to cure''.

The complexity of the Lyme disease spirochaete goes beyond the features described by Munderloh and Kurtti.

With more than 1500 gene sequences, B burgdorferi contains at least 132 functioning genes;

by comparison, the spirochaetal agent of syphilis, Treponema pallidum, contains only 22 such genes.2

Furthermore, the Lyme disease spirochaete contains 21 plasmids (nine circular and 12 linear).2

This is by far the largest number of plasmids found in any known bacterium, and the large number of plasmid genes is thought to provide a rapid response system that allows the spirochaete to cycle efficiently between ticks and mammals.3

Gene exchange and plasmid transfers among Borrelia strains can also increase the pathogenicity of the organism.3

In the mammalian milieu, B burgdorferi uses the host fibrinolytic system to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and gain access to the central nervous system.

The Lyme disease spirochaete contains a secretory mechanism for porin, adhesin, and haemolysin proteins, and these secreted products can contribute to the invasive properties of the organism.4

The spirochaete can enter cells; such as,
fibroblasts, synovial cells, endothelial cells, and macrophages.

In these cells, it becomes functionally resistant to treatment, partly due to ``camouflage'' proteins produced by itself or adsorbed from the cell, and partly due to altered morphology as the spirochaete assumes a non-replicating cyst form.2

The immune evasion strategy used by B burgdorferi is similar to strategies used by the mycobacterial agents that cause chronic infections such as tuberculosis or leprosy.2

These organisms also exist as non-replicating cyst forms that can be ``resuscitated'' by autocrine cytokine-like factors after lying dormant for months.

B burgdorferi has been shown to use luxS, an autoinducer gene used by other bacteria, to regulate replication.5

It is the first time that this autoinducer gene has been identified in a spirochaete.

Thus the combination of genetic complexity, intracellular localisation, immune evasion, and autoregulation makes the Lyme disease spirochaete a formidable infectious agent.2

By contrast with the complex basic science of B burgdorferi outlined above, a popular clinical notion is that Lyme disease can be cured with 2-4 weeks of antibiotics.

Although this might be true of promptly treated acute B burgdorferi infection, chronic infection that allows the spirochaete's complex pathophysiological mechanisms to unfold can result in tenacious tissue invasion that is extremely difficult to eradicate.

Understanding the pathophysiological complexity of this organism should help to improve our clinical approach to Lyme disease.2

References
1. Munderloh UG, Kurtti TJ. The ABCs of Lyme disease spirochaetes in ticks. Lancet 2005; 366: 962-964. Full Text | PDF (41 KB) | CrossRef

2. Stricker RB, Lautin A, Burrascano JJ. Lyme disease: point/counterpoint. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2005; 3: 155-165.

3. Qiu WG, Schutzer SE, Bruno JF, et al. Genetic exchange and plasmid transfers in Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto revealed by three-way genome comparisons and multilocus sequence typing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101: 14150-14155. MEDLINE | CrossRef

4. Cluss RG, Silverman DA, Stafford TR. Extracellular secretion of the Borrelia burgdorferi Oms28 porin and Bgp, a glycosaminoglycan binding protein. Infect Immun 2004; 72: 6279-6286. MEDLINE | CrossRef

5. Stevenson B, von Lackum K, Wattier RL, McAlister JD, Miller JC, Babb K. Quorum sensing by the Lyme disease spirochete. Microbes Infect 2003; 5: 991-997. MEDLINE | CrossRef

Ann-OH
Member # 2020

I had already done the splitting for my LD - E-list, so here it is!

As with most microbiology, a lot of it zips right over my head, but this one has some very interesting facts and comparisons and actually explains a lot.
Ann-OH

http://www.thelancet.com/

The Lancet 2005; 366:1771 [you probably have to go to the archives to find this commentary]

The excellent Comment by Ulrike Munderloh and Timothy Kurtti (Sept 17, p 962)1 describes the complex life cycle of Borrelia burgdorferi, the spirochaetal agent of Lyme disease, as it traffics between tick and mammalian hosts.

The Comment highlights a growing problem with Lyme disease: while what is known about the basic science of this tick-borne illness becomes more complex, the clinical science remains relatively simplistic and uninformed.2

This divergence has produced a disconnection between the recognition of B burgdorferi as one of the most invasive and elusive bacteria known to man, and the clinical perception that Lyme disease is ``hard to catch and easy to cure''.

The complexity of the Lyme disease spirochaete goes beyond the features described by Munderloh and Kurtti.

With more than 1500 gene sequences, B burgdorferi contains at least 132 functioning genes; by comparison, the spirochaetal agent of syphilis, Treponema pallidum, contains only 22 such genes.2

Furthermore, the Lyme disease spirochaete contains 21 plasmids (nine circular and 12 linear).2 This is by far the largest number of plasmids found in any known bacterium, and the large number of plasmid genes is thought to provide a rapid response system that allows the spirochaete to cycle efficiently between ticks and mammals.3

Gene exchange and plasmid transfers among Borrelia strains can also increase the pathogenicity of the organism.3

In the mammalian milieu, B burgdorferi uses the host fibrinolytic system to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and gain access to the central nervous system.

The Lyme disease spirochaete contains a secretory mechanism for porin, adhesin, and haemolysin proteins, and these secreted products can contribute to the invasive properties of the organism.4

The spirochaete can enter cells such as fibroblasts, synovial cells, endothelial cells, and macrophages.

In these cells, it becomes functionally resistant to treatment, partly due to ``camouflage'' proteins produced by itself or adsorbed from the cell, and partly due to altered morphology as the spirochaete assumes a non-replicating cyst form.2

The immune evasion strategy used by B burgdorferi is similar to strategies used by the mycobacterial agents that cause chronic infections such as tuberculosis or leprosy.2

These organisms also exist as non-replicating cyst forms that can be ``resuscitated'' by autocrine cytokine-like factors after lying dormant for months. B burgdorferi has been shown to use luxS, an autoinducer gene used by other bacteria, to regulate replication.5 It is the first time that this autoinducer gene has been identified in a spirochaete.

Thus the combination of genetic complexity, intracellular localisation, immune evasion, and autoregulation makes the Lyme disease spirochaete a formidable infectious agent.2

By contrast with the complex basic science of B burgdorferi outlined above, a popular clinical notion is that Lyme disease can be cured with 2-4 weeks of antibiotics.

Although this might be true of promptly treated acute B burgdorferi infection, chronic infection that allows the spirochaete's complex pathophysiological mechanisms to unfold can result in tenacious tissue invasion that is extremely difficult to eradicate.

Understanding the pathophysiological complexity of this organism should help to improve our clinical approach to Lyme disease.2

References

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!

--------------------
-- anais nin

Mo
Member # 2863

Up!

--------------------
-- anais nin

Mo
Member # 2863

Up
Mo
Member # 2863

Dearest Thomas...

I hand delivered your letter to Doc J today.

He started reading it and sat down in his chair and read the entire thing.

He was both deeply touched and impressed.

They have a total of about 3,000 letters of support, he hadn't a chance to see yours yet.

Doc J said he was very glad I showed him your letter.

He asked who you were, and how you knew about him..

I said "Everybody knows about you!"

he said "Oh? Good or bad?" [Smile]

I said "Most definately good!!"
[woohoo]

Just wanted to let you know your message got through and made an impact on our dear Doc J.

His hearing begins next week.

Anyone who has not written or who can donate, please do so asap.

Mo

[ 19. March 2006, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Mo ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement