LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Where did you get Bit --

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where did you get Bit --
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I think it might be good to make
a list of where everyone thinks
they got bit-City-State -when ect-

So I will start off--

Austin TX in 1986 summer--
I had a big Bullseye bruse
on the back of my leg--

Had rings like a dart board-3-4
the center looked normal--
Started getting sick in a
week or so --

I have both lyme and babs--
-- For Sure--Zero Doubt --

My Igenx test came back--IND--
but I have responded to treatment
well--AAAhhhhh

So where did you get Nailed--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jay,

philly, PA suburbs

I have this crazy work connection with ticks.

In 2000 my manager came in from lunch and said he found 3 ticks in his truck...he thought they came from the trees we parked under?

Next morning before showering there it was on my stomach a TICK. i freaked out and my bf at the time drove over and pulled it off....he was an EMT. No bullseye, but i had a sore throat

that lasted months and months. then went away. Lyme test done...negative.

2005_ vaguely remember a round purplish mark...like a human bite mark on my leg...it looked nasty. thought nothing of it. Then got a sore throat...led to bronchitis.

And i havent been well since. I believe i got bit at my current place of employment while walking at lunch, often thru grass.

[ 12. March 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: cantgiveupyet ]

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the outdoors; I live in a Lyme-endemic state, and I'm a tick magnet.

I can think of at least six times I've found ticks on me. One, in 1996, was after spending the day with the dogs in a gorgeous state park.

I ended up with a rash, went to an ID doc, got 10 days of abx, and that was that. Or so I thought.

I had flu-like symptoms several weeks after that but never connected the two.

Since then, I can think of three instances where I ended up with ticks. The little buggers love me.

I tested CDC positive with Igenex in June. Two weeks ago, I was dx with Bartonella and started treatment.
And here I am...

Andie [Big Grin]

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bite in CT in 86
Lived & worked near lyme Ct.

Had a rash on my arm & thought it was an odd spider bite. Then got sick. Been sick on and off ever since.IV in 94 got me in remission for 9 years. But relasped after that.

we moved down south here 6 years ago,and had a small infestation in our guest room when we built our house. And picked alot off our dogs.That couldn't have helped.

It's piteful, I have heard from people ,not much has changed in CT as far as diagnosising and treatment since 86. Just pathedic

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maryland or VA. I had been out several weekends in a row. Hiking near Charlottesville, Va; hiking south of Richmond; and runnning in Potomoc Maryland neigborhood (deer present). I really think it was on the run in Maryland that I got bit. And get this ............... it was on Thanksgiving Day!!!!

The tick was embedded and the area infected by the time I found it on the back of my head, in my hair....(grosses me out too). Not sure how long it was there ...... and yes I wash my hair everyday but somehow I didn't notice this until it started to hurt.

I didn't know about Lyme or ticks since I am from the desert.....so I put some antiseptic on the area and went on with my life ........ for about 2 months ........... then all hell broke loose. The rest is ..... well, you know the rest.

So, I think it was Maryland but could have been VA. Either way, I'd rather be back in the desert.

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably around 1958 or '59 near Brenham, Texas. Had tick bites every weekend at our cabin in the woods for YEARS. Never thought anything about it. Have no clue whether or not I had a rash or flu-like illness back then.

Only know I've been sick off and on most of my life. My parents were also ill beginning around 1960 or so.

Pain became my constant companion around 1980 and hasn't completely stopped. [Xango has taken care of 95% of my pain and most all of my fatigue.]

I was dxd with Fibromyalgia in 1980, forced to retire from teaching in 1994. Found out it was really LYME in 2000.

Doing great, all things considered!!! [Smile] Been off abx since Nov. '04 ... except for when I got bit again and when I had gall bladder surgery last summer and ended up with a hospital infection. Been off abx almost continually since Sept. '05.

[ 05. March 2006, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the sun don't shine!

-

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I have always been an outdoor person, not sure which one did me in. I have had many, many tick bites.

I assume the one I had in 1988 with the bulls eye rash on my left breast (nasty little critter!) was the one.

I was pregnant and treated with a short course of amoxicillan. Still waiting to see if my 13 year old daughter is infected. I am fairly sure it was in either Northern VA or at Lake Anna, VA.
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO, MO! [Big Grin]

Ridgefield, CT. They took a poll there once, found that one out of every 3 families had had at least one member infected. Yikes!

We had deer in the yard all the time. Hiked in the woods, sat on the stone walls, woodpiles near the house, played in the yard, raked leaves and jumped in them, indoor-outdoor cats. Take your pick.

Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the sun DOES shine! [Wink]
Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rockland County, NY

Bite on back of calve in September.
Not itchy and I was proud that I ignored it!

Farmgirl in me can backfire-did in this case.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably in the woods here in Wilmington, VT, in June 2004. Possibly in the woods in Becket, MA, in the Berkshires, also that month. I was at my partner's jobsite (he was building a house), and just went into the woods to pee.
Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy
Member # 8877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 3 I had a big tick on the back of my head. We had just come back from fishing at Rimrock in Washington state.

When I was 11 we went to Georgia and I ran around in the woods with my cousins. I never noticed having a tick but a few months later I came down with a sore throat that hasen't gone a way in the last 25 years.

I've never been well. My nick name growing up was sicky.

Posts: 56 | From Washington State | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know exactly when. june 3-5 last year 2005 at lake ray roberts in texas.

had the perfect bullseye on my left knee. darn camera picture didn't turn out tho.

been sick ever since.

still waiting on some duck to give me anti's.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastern Oregon 1960 where my family lived on my grandfathers ranch. I was 5 years old and found one on the left side of my chest. My uncle took it out with a screw driver. I don't know if I had a rash or how long the tick had been there.

Within the year I had severe joint pains (doctor said it was growing pains), was up all night many nights wandering around the house while everyone else slept. I had horrible nightmares, bad headaches, severe depression. I was too young to write so I scribbled notes to my mother about how I wanted to kill myself.

I was put on long term antibiotics for constant bladder infections and I don't remember being sick for awhile. 5 years later I started to have seizures, high fevers, severe fatigue, weakness, depression, couldn't sleep, gained a lot of weight but hardly ate anything. My mother was ill also, she had severe depression and slept all the time, severe fatigue and who knows what other symtpoms.

My mother was a nurse. She took me to the hospital where she worked where they did a spinal tap with no results. I was hospitalized off and on for a year.

They sent my mothers and my blood to special labs across the country with no results. They decided it was rheumatic fever. They tried antibiotics but decided I was allergic to several because they made me so sick.

I've been sick off and on since that tick bite. My mother has been sick as well with horrible symptoms until she finally got sarcoidosis. I read a Chinese study that said over 80% of sarcoidosis patients in a small study tested positive for lyme.

I've been disabled now for 20 years. I've asked several times for lyme testing but was always told that there is no lyme in Oregon. They say this even though we are on the CDC map for Lyme. I was finally tested through IgeneX and my IGG western blot was IgeneX positive with 4 positive bands and 4 IND. I have 2 specific bands for Bb so there is no doubt it is lyme.

2 doctors looked at my results and said I don't have lyme. A third said I used to have it but don't anymore. After spending months reading both sides of the argument I can clearly see that I do have lyme.

Now, all of my siblings are ill with symptoms like mine and many of their children are ill as well. 2 are disabled and 1 is quite ill but still working part time. She's been on long term antibiotics for facial infections which is why I think she is not as sick as the rest of us. She started avoiding antibiotics about 4 years ago and has gotten steadily worse.

We had a dog that my brother brought from Eastern Oregon to live with us (we live in Portland). She had a tick on her. We took her to the vet, the vet said "we don't have lyme in Oregon". She displayed many symptoms over the next year that in retrospect are definately lyme symptoms.

The vet put her on antibiotics when she was very ill. She started to get better. She died within a week of going off antibiotics.

I have an appointment with a LLMD April 3rd and I just got a rife machine. My siblings are waiting to see how my situation evolves before they check it out.

Sorry this is so long but it feels good to get it all out. It would have taken me a lot longer to find out what my results really mean if it weren't for this board and all the information and help that is provided here. Thank you all!!

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where, when, or how.

Could have been mosquitos or fleas, since they both love me.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth in MN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth in MN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been exposed to ticks my whole life. I was probably bitten:

In the 1960s in California when I played outside all the time as a small child. Had lots of "Growing Pains, sore throats and weird rashes.

In the 1970s in Minnesota, when we ran wild in the fields and swamps behind our house (picking off ticks and leeches was a daily chore). More "Growing Pains", weird rashes, and flu symptoms.

In the 1980s in New Hampshire - I lived in heavily wooded areas and hiked a great deal. Started experiencing short term memory loss and word finding loss. Figured it was probably natural to start "losing it" in your thirties. Weird rashes continued (no "bulls-eye"). Otherwise fairly healthy.

In the 1990s in southern Minnesota. This is the bite that broke my immune system's back, so to speak. Was disabled by pain and fatigue. Lost the use of my hands and arms completely. Suffered from what I now know was Lyme rage and moodiness. Was diagnosed at the Mayo with "Mild Carpal Tunnel Syndrome". Recovered partially from this, enough to go back to work.

My health steadily declined after this (new form of headaches, cognitive impairment, more pain, inability to exercise, etc) until I became completely disabled. Diagnosed two years ago with Fibromyalgia. Figured out on my own it was Lyme this past December (my PCP did a Lyme EIA titer a year before, which of course came back negative). Lyme was confirmed by an LLMD and CDC positive WB last month.

My LLMD says it wouldn't surprise her if I'd been infected and reinfected many, many times. There's no way to know, although I sure wish I did.

--------------------
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Come visit my blog! http://forcesofnature.wordpress.com/

Posts: 126 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in southern Humboldt County in northern California. We had horses and spent a lot of time outdoors. I had many ticks.

We don't know when I was infected. Most likely as a kid or during many visits back home.

I have been sick for 5 years and only within the last 3 months been diagnosed- although my insurance company still doesn't agree.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FLORIDA -- you know, where there are supposedly no ticks -- this would've been back in 1965 or so.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Canadian Rockies in 1987 - pulled the tick out of my neck and had an emg rash which I was told was ringworm.

After years of being told you don't have enough of the symptoms of lyme disease or we don't have it here in Canada, I was finally diagnosed last March.

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gretchen P
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gretchen P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both daughter and I got bit in Erie, PA.

Hers was in her scalp mine was never discovered.

Daughter was undertreated in 2003 when we found it and pediatrician refused to test through Igenex.

Found a sympathetic GP who lost his best friend to lyme in April of 05 to test family. Daughter came back very positive.She now sees Dr Jones in CT.

--------------------
I'm gonna get that lyme !!!

Posts: 61 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 3 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me in Hammonton, NJ 1997

My husband in Aberdeen, NJ May 2004

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Florida where like "karatelady" says they say there are no ticks or lyme. Got sick in the spring of 97.
Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Daughter was bit by a tick at my Mom's house in a town 30 miles west of Boise when she was barely 11. That was in March of 1991. The dog had ticks on her and we were picking them off. Now this is an area where I grew up and I never saw a tick in my life, there. We supposed the ticks were on the wood that my Mom bought for her wood burning stove. They were all over her house. No one else found a tick on them, but my daughter. I know my X has it, he is NOT the same person I married, his personality changed totally. Needless to say he won't get checked out. I am pretty sure the dog died of Lyme along with our beloved dog too.

Daughter had severe headaches to begin with. I don't remember her being sick right after being bitten but what did I know back then? She has had a sore throat for as long as I can remember and lots of what we thought were canker sores in her mouth and down her throat. She was a competitive figure skater for 15 years with MANY what we thought were skating injuries. When she was 14 she was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, depression and a host of other things. I took her from one duck to another looking for answers. She has or has had just about every symptom on Dr. B's list.

Unfortunately her little one was born with Lyme, we are lucky she lived. She had a very hard start in life. She has seen Dr. J and they both see a LLMD in Northern CA.

The little one seems to be improving, my daughter on the other hand says she is worse now than when diagnosed and starting treatment almost a year ago.

Oh by the way, did you know there is NO LYME in Idaho???? My best friend and her granddaughter also have it and remember having the ticks on them.........they were in Idaho.

ICEY

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
July 4th weekend 2004, Martha's Vineyard, MA.

I returned home and found a tick on my bicep.

2 Doctors refused to give me abx. Said I had to wait a month and then have a test, Lyme is rare and easily treated, watch for bullseye rash, joint pains & fever...

Within 2 weeks: horrible ear/jaw pain, memory problems, getting lost... (I didn't make the connection yet)

31/2 weeks after the bite Bell's Palsy and dozens of other symptoms but still no bullseye rash, joint pain or fever! Positive Lyme test.

Fairly likely I was bit as a child too. Many of my lifelong symptoms have cleared up with Lyme treatment.

Great thread Groovy -
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've been bitten at least three times. Lord knows it may have been more than that, too.

Twice in Morris County (Northern), NJ and once in Greenville, SC area.
Steph

P.S. Now I live almost six miles into the woods of PA where small animals, like mice, and deer regularly tromp. I don't tend to step on the grass! And my husband sprays Sevin twice a year. I always worry when he's out there, even after he gets the Sevin down. I'm always saying, "Did you check yourself?"

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

I too do not know when, where, and how....

Feb. 1970 during Iowa's below zero weather so I wasn't wearing any swim suit. When I was 21, they diagnosed me with mononucleosis, the kissing disease. I was to be home for 2 wks. Chronic fatigue/sleeping took hold and still to this day.

Shortly after that came the total fibromyalgia body pain.

Then the extreme sensitivity to lights, glare, reflection like looking directly at the sun.

PLUS SOUNDS/noise really bothers me & what limited concentration I have.

Also being allergic to smells: cigarette smoke and on clothing, perfume, hairspray, cleaning supplies, office supplies like "white-out liquid" and those heavy duty markers, diesel fumes, etc.

Then the list continued growing of majority of things on sx list.

I decided to take the bull by the horn when I was showing ALL sx of early-onset Alzheimer's at 55. My sister-in-law died at age 40, yes 40, of this mindrobbing disease. She had it 8-14 years and was treated for severe depression.

So I heard of Igenex's western blot igm/igg testing & had it done. I was shocked then & still today...I have chronic lyme going back 35 plus years.

I'm thankful for my lymenet friends who I have learned so much from and given me guidance on finding ACCURATE/RELIABLE info.

sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly as well-

Catskills
Oct 2004

ran my hands through my hair and it nipped me on the index finger of my right hand- just a quick little "ouch" and that's all it took-

the red bump is still there where it got me

proof that it doesn't have to be on for long, nor have to be removed-

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsanders
Member # 8337

Icon 6 posted      Profile for bsanders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
June 2005 Westminster, MD work related

actually had 3 bites that summer, last one in August

Igenex said Positive, CDC, Not.

90 days doxy by Nov. 1st; swollen lymph in neck and sore knees

Will see LLMD on 13th for follow up igenex test for lyme and babs

I have a good team of a chiro, LLMD and a duck.

Posts: 21 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bitten by tick under right breast approx. 2002; tossed it, said 'big deal.' Later, a dime-sized ring appeared and stuck around. Still said, 'Big deal. I've never heard of Lyme disease in California. People just get that on the east coast, don't they?'

A year later, develop blinding headaches relieved by nothing. The slightest noise causes me to leap from my chair. I can't remember anything. Have forgotten about the tick by now. Convinced I must have a brain tumour. Several doctors later, get a brain MRI. 11 frontal lobe brain lesions noted consistent with lyme disease. Little light goes on!

I see neuro, thinking he'll treat me. Ha! He doesn't believe in Lyme disease! I beg for IGeneX western blot, he smiles and shakes his head -- "Silly girl!" and gives me ELISA (negative), plethora of other tests, declares I have MS.

I stumble upon LymeNet!

I find an LLMD through LymeNet!

I test highly positive at IGeneX, five specific bands+ through +++, eight equivocals. Fer shure NOT MS! One year down the road and stretches of 'good head days' are getting longer & longer!

GO LymeNet!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

It would be good to make sure
if you know where you where
bit --State City and date

That you include this at
the top of the post --
and then tell the rest of
your story----Jay

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvswz
Member # 8782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvswz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer 2000 in Eastern PA, in the order of likelihood: Lafayette Hill, Gladwyne or Valley Forge. Bambis leisurely zoomed across road next to where I live. Never saw a tick. Thought the huge bites were allergic reaction to some bad mosquito bites. Scary thing is that that was the only summer I spent there!
Posts: 43 | From New York City | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
August 2002 (I think...or 1998 and my immune system suppressed it was sick for a while with crazy symptoms then they went away), Vilas County Wisconsin

Undiagnosed for 3 years 17 docotors, 30,000 dollars in tests, (in ILLINOIS) I finally asked for the Lyme test as I have spent 28 years of my spring summer and falls up north....BINGO CDC positive with more symptoms then I could ever count!!!!

Never saw the tick, never got the rash

Recovering quite nicely into my 1 year of treatment 10 on IV and orals....Wonderful LLMD I wish I could Saint him!!!...Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1991 Philly suburbs,(delaware county) PA--tick attached to bullseye rash.

2000 MAINE, lots of camping all over the state--possible reinfection/black flies/no tick seen or found, no rash.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North Carolina

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
June 1980-1982
lived on Chesapeake Bay, in city called "Charlestown".
Worked in boatyards in summers of 80, and 81.
Found MANY dinner-plate sized red raised "welts" that many people said "spider bites".
I was 17-19 yrs old, strong, healthy as a horse, maybe a couple of bouts of "flu"? when living in Charlestown . . .
Flash to late winter/early spring 1987.
Living in Northern CA. You know, that lush green paradise of the "East Bay"?
Ha.
Regularly (like 3-5 times per week) hiked in open space areas here in No. CA. called "regional parks".
Found tick embedded in back of neck, at hairline in 1987.
Was working as a nurse then, went to ER (was scheduled to work that day) because I could not turn my neck, it was stiff and very painful. I arrived at the ER, they thought I had menningitis, since I had painful stiff neck, and felt so lousy, flu like symptoms.
ER doc pulled tick out of neck (look! it's legs are moving!).
I had sore knees, saw a rheumy (remember this is 1987) asked for Lyme test (yes, even back then I'd heard of Lyme).
Negative results, no abx.
Flash to May 2000.
Had severe psychological upsets - 3 of them in a months period, and muscles started twitching.
Went to primary care doc, who sent me to ID doc, who sent me to neuro.
All negative results.
Found Lymenet, read for awhile, found LLMD in S.F. and bingo, positive for Lyme, as are both my sons, who had symptoms (one had headaches, other had knee pain) for YEARS.

We all have Lyme.
Probably still do, although we've all been off of abx for years now.

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
south nj

before sept 1987

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely in Dunn County, Wisconsin.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont have a known bite associated with getting sick. I assume it was here, in Santa Cruz Mountains CA, that I was bit, since I got very sick February 1999, while living here.

I have heard of other Lyme disease here also, and certainly we have the right kind of ticks, and myself and my youngest child have had a few known bites, quickly found and removed, since I have been sick.

I rountinely had tick bites growing up, no sickness or trouble from any of that.

I was in New Jersey 4 months before getting sick, but do not feel this is where I was bit. I was not doing outdoorsy stuff there. Unlike when I first moved here and pushed thru brush out in the way back of my property hide out and get time alone.

I strongly showed lyme on western blot test done 5 years after I first became ill.

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chester county, Phila suburbs, Wayne < pa: close to King of Prussia and villanova University. Funny mark on left knee after hurricane Isabelle Oct 03. Only outside to sit on patio, take trash ot, groceries in or go to car, Had to have happen walking out my apt sliding glass door over a pathetically small area of grass to go to pavement. Nver was an outside person. Symptomatic Feb 05 and declining ALS symptoms, neuro lyme, several co's. Pa ticks are tough little critters!
Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Char...

Rockland County, NY
Multiple exposure growing up there...some where between the 70's and 80's. Never did see a tick, though.

I also had a quick painful bite while sitting on the grass in Sullivan County, NY circa 1990 that did get a nice bullseye rash.

The last exposure that I'm aware of just prior to crashing and burning (September 92) was a multitude of flea bites and waking with a perfect ring of flea bites in my chest. This was also in Sullivan county in a house infested with mice and fleas.

I was diagnosed 3/12/93

Sorry so long, Jay

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long Island (Sea Cliff), NY
Not exactly sure when, around 1986

Bit on my neck, had a bug bite that developed a bulls eye rash around it

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettex99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November 1987 San mateo Ca. Bay Meadows Racetrack. A brownish purple round raised circular rash the size of a half dollar on the inside of my right ankle. Thought it was a spider bite. Did not think twice about it. Shoot I had spills on racehorses how could be bothered by a rash? By Chistmas had a 4 day flue and my groin lymph nodes the size of walnuts. By Feb chest pains, by March no air and had heart block. By May, had encephalitis and blinding headaches and was on fire inside and out and wanted and thought I would die. Had to quit riding. Took 3 years to get treated. 6 years remmission. 2000 came back and nearly killed me. Now I am in the marathon with bicillin IM.
Posts: 160 | From texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

breaking up this newbie's post for us neuro lymies...

quote:
Originally posted by bettex99:

November 1987, San mateo Ca.
Bay Meadows Racetrack.

A brownish purple round raised circular rash the size of a half dollar on the inside of my right ankle. Thought it was a spider bite. Did not think twice about it. Shoot I had spills on racehorses how could be bothered by a rash?

By Chistmas had a 4 day flu and my groin lymph nodes the size of walnuts.

By Feb chest pains,

by March no air and had heart block.

By May, had encephalitis and blinding headaches and was on fire inside and out and wanted and thought I would die. Had to quit riding.

Took 3 years to get treated.

6 years remmission.

2000 came back and nearly killed me. Now I am in the marathon with bicillin IM.

Welcome Bette, and that is quite the story; sorry to read you came out of remission to rejoin us.

Bettyg

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 2001 in Clifton Park, Upstate New York, between Albany and Saratoga Springs. I was living in an apartment complex in the middle of beautiful woods.

I was from the desert, and I guess I thought most insects wouldn't be so active that time of year. The tick bit the back of my calf. And that is where I first got a rash.

It looked like a bruise the size of a half dollar. Then the half dollar, perfectly round rashes spread over the whole of my legs. The doctors said it was eczema. I had horrible fatigue, swollen lymph glands, severe shooting pains, and I started hallucinating.

But things would come and go, and then I got nailed in June 2002. I had to figure out I had Lyme Disease on my own. I got doxycycline over the internet, and immediately felt better. Then I switched primarily to essential oils when my digestion got shot out in July. Have done many different things since then. I have been doing really well since the end of 2004 and am at 99.9% for a good while now.

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Waupaca County, in central WIsconsin
Middle of October, 1999.
Treated by duck with 24 days of Cipro in March, 2000.

Relapsed about 10 months later.

Got worse and worse till felt like going to die in October of 2005.

Now on herbs and some vitamins.

Jim. [Cool]

ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bit 20 miles south of London, UK (2002). Little bugger was stuck in my back and it wasn't exactly small either, I couldn't get the damn thing out - so had to go to the doctors.
Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluetick
Member # 8467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluetick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
August 1996 at a horse show on Argilla Road in Ipswich, MA.

Never saw the darn tick but had a gorgeous bullseye rash on my left thigh.

Posts: 98 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!X%$#&^ Wilton @^%#%^%^$ CT sometime around 1980....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement