LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are probiotics needed with olive leaf extract and oregano oil?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are probiotics needed with olive leaf extract and oregano oil?
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I've become so sensitive to antibiotics, I'm going to try just oregano oil and olive leaf extract for a while. Do they kill beneficial bacteria as well, so I need to take probiotics while on them?

I don't want to overload with probiotics if these natural antimicrobials don't kill the good gut bacteria.

Thank you!

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've been on antibiotics for a while, it can take up to a year to get back to your normal flora level. And they boost your immune system. Sorry to say, because probiotics are expensive and it's always nice to imagine dropping them.

Would you at least consider staying on doxy? It's mild, and might keep you from losing ground.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Liz28, for your reply.

I tried going on doxy in December, and my right eyelids swelled, so doc said throat could be next.

In Jan, I tried going back to zithromax, and developed small blisters in various mucous membranes.

In Feb, I tried going back to biaxin, which I'd taken 6 months with no problems once, and 2 months with no problems another time. This time, I developed burning spots on my tongue and swelling of other mucous membranes.

I'm really scared about having such sensitivities to so many abx now. I've been having these sorts of reactions since finishing IV rocephin last Sept. My LLMD is suggesting augmentin or bicillin IM, but I can't afford to try that now while my body is so sensitive to abx. I can't risk developing a reaction to it that would make me unable to take it as well.

quote:
Originally posted by liz28:
If you've been on antibiotics for a while, it can take up to a year to get back to your normal flora level. And they boost your immune system. Sorry to say, because probiotics are expensive and it's always nice to imagine dropping them.

Would you at least consider staying on doxy? It's mild, and might keep you from losing ground.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, tempe...that's rough! I'm so sorry to hear that! I would advise continuing the probiotics too because as liz said it may take a long time to get the body's flora back to normal.

I've found that to be true for me. I've been mostly OFF abx for about a yr and a half, but still have trouble with yeast if I stray from my diet.

We may ALWAYS have trouble with this, so I plan to take probiotics indefinitely.

Have you tried Rife?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tempe:
Because I've become so sensitive to antibiotics, I'm going to try just oregano oil and olive leaf extract for a while.

Thank you!

Throw in silver and high dose Vitamin C/Salt and your on my protocal. Probiotics are always a good idea whether diseased or not imo so I would keep it up.
Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe:

I Don't find probiotics all that expensive.

I use Source Naturals, Acidophilus, 250 capsules to a bottle, for only $7.15, SKU# SN0609, from Herbs-Wholesale.com.

I was taking 2 capsules, three times a day when on tetracycline and doxycycline, but then reduced it to 1 capsule, three times a day when I quit the abx.

I just ran out, so have to order more tomorrow.

While you are at it, why not add some herbs to that Organo and Olive leaf capsules regimen? I take the Oregano and Olive Leaf also. But I have seen better results so far with some of the herbs I take.

GiGi reported recently, that she didn't notice any difference with the Olive Leaf. BUT it has been proven to have some good attributes, so shouldn't hurt to take along with others.

Hope you find the relief I did from the abx.

Jim.

[Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have had lyme and been treated with tons of high dose orals and bicillin IM shots. Along with my lyme symptoms I was dealing with a VERY HORRIBLE itchy rash that at times got infected with strep.

Every time I would switch an anti-biotic the rash would start to go away and Id get all excited to no avail...about a month later it was back.

No-one was ever sure if it was lyme, bartonella, yeast...fungus (tried fungal creams to no avail).

I finally decided to STOP my ABX because my lyme symptoms were gone but still left with this aweful rash. My lyme has been better for almost a year.

I read a few books on Olive leaf and oil of oregano and decided to go whole hog and do an agressive treatment with both of those and added pau'd arco (sp?) as that was listed as good to add with the ooo and olive leaf for yeast. I am also on the anti-candida diet.

Well Im holding my breath because so far it is working really well. After one week my rash is 80% gone and I feel really good. I take ooo and olive leaf 3 times a day and the pau d'arco 2 times a day and when I get up in the middle of the nite(to go to the bathroom) I take my pro-biotics.

I use therabiotics brand. I think they work really well.

So to answer your question finally I think pro-biotics are important even when taking ooo and olive leaf but take them about 3 hours away. I think those herbs are really good herbs they are helping me but I dont know if they will help with lyme. I don't think anyone knows.

Are you taking the Oregamax AND Oreganol together? The book I read THe cure is in the cupboard by Dr. Cass Ingram says to take both. I think those are the best brand out there.

I definately (for me) noticed that the oil of oregano alone helped but it wasn't enough. When I added the olive leaf and pau d'arco is when I saw the change. I think the dynamics of the 3 together are best (plus diet)

I hope this helps you.
pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement