LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Throat tightness (lump feeling) - Lyme symptom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Throat tightness (lump feeling) - Lyme symptom
martha2006
Member # 8767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martha2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My muscle pains are gone now but I am still having chest wall pain (feeling knots in the breast) and back pains. Recetly I started with throat tightness ,feeling a lump in the throat but there is no lump in the thraot. If i drink or eat/get busy with my work then the throat muscle spasm is gone automatically.

let me know if any one had throat tightness in their lyme life..
Thanks,

Posts: 25 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on doxycyclene? or any abx out of that group?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha2006
Member # 8767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martha2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, i have not started any abx yet. treatment not started yet. have not seen LLMD. still baffling whther i have lyme or not
Posts: 25 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrrr . . . I used to have this all the time! I hated it!

It seemed to resolve w/ thyroid treatment! Never knew for sure if it was related or just a coincidence!

Sometimes it would scare me to death!

Sherry

--------------------
 -

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a positive IgeneX test and go to a LLMD early next month so I haven't technically been diagnosed with lyme yet but from looking at all of the info on the significant bands, I'm sure I have it.

I do have the lump in my throat and swelling all the time. It's been awful for the past few years. My doctor thinks it's because my throat is dry (sicca or sjogrens) and wants to put me on medication.

I *think* the feeling of the lump comes from the lingual tonsils being swollen. Those are the tonsils on the tongue.

I went to a ENT and he said I don't have an infection but he could tell that I had lingual tonsil swelling and my throat was inflamed. If you have reflux that can be a cause of throat problems too.

I've read that sore throats are a symptom of lyme and I've noticed quite a few on here mention the problems with feeling that their throat is swollen. You may want to do a search in the archives.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you can also have the lump in the throat as a symptom of anxiety.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this for a long time before I was diagnosed with lyme.

Anxiety made it worse.

Shortly after beginning treatment, thankfully, it stopped.

Because yours seems to go away when you are distracted and busy, perhaps anxiety aggravates this feeling for you too.

LC

Posts: 116 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banks
Member # 8894

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Banks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i ve just been feeling the same since last night like a tablet thats stuck in the throat it seems to get better after burping but its annoying. i ve been taking ABx for months now though sometimes i think its from the tablets but i do drink a lot to wash em down, i dont know
Posts: 21 | From Detroit | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to these websites and when they come up, search the term ``lump in throat''

www.alive.com/2635a9a2.php

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=Article&ID=541

http://www.mgwater.com/dur33.shtml

P.S. My real name is Martha too...my "alias" on the board is "Marnie"...I have no desire to be associated with the "famous" Martha ;-)

In my posts which Treepatrol links...titled "Long overdue"...I have linked one by one lyme symptoms to Mg deficiency symptoms. You might want to print out the files (7)...they will total about 40 pages of interesting reading. They are all linked, but because they were done so long ago, some links may no longer work.

This mineral (Mg) and other nutrients (choline and several other B vitamins and the mineral phosphorus) seem to really take a "hit" when someone contracts this disease.

It looks like the body tries to go into a major defensive mode really fast. The nutrients are used up quickly to fight.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this feeling recently. It was related to a painful tooth,dental work and an infection I developed from the tooth. The lymph glands in my jaw and throat were swollen, causing the lump in my throat sensation. Penicillin took care of it.

Karen

Posts: 1684 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettex99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came in from the hot sun. I now have what i call the "strangles" and my voice is hoarse. This happens often, when ever I get "stressed" somehow, the throat lump, strangles fist , happens first. When I get them I know to back off from whatever.
Posts: 160 | From texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a lump type feeling in my throat at times and it feels a litle better after burping but comes back almost instantly.

I have been dx with lyme and have been taking abx for a few months. It has come and gone several times since treatment but seems to be much better.

I noticed it felt better after eating..

Good luck to you.

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c3mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c3mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this thread and am wondering if anyone alse has had this. Improver comes to the closest on desribing what going on.

However, mine gets so bad that it I wheeze when I breathe and my volume for speaking decreases.

I started taking 750mg of Mg last week. Anty type of strenuous activity makes it worse. I used to run 3-4 miles a day.

The tightness moves around in my neck/esophogus. I have flexeril here but wonder if it would even help.

I'm looking for insight. I went to the doctors )GP) last week and he did some lab work.

You guys have been there and done that. I mean seriously the average of how many doctors we have seen in our lifetime is crazy.

This is my newest sx but is inscreasingly getting so bad I feel like I'm going to die. I've had anxiety and I now know the difference.
The throat tightness is not anxiety.

Posts: 262 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this before I knew I had Lyme and company. I'm sure it's related.

The closest thing I came to when I searched was a condition called Globus Hysteria. The physician who wrote the paper said low dose Valium was effective and would usually relieve it within weeks and Valium would be Discontinued.

Of course being desperate, I took 1/2 Xanax, as I had no Valium. IT WORKED!

I haven't had it since.
I wish I could get rid of the other symptoms the same way.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

c3mom wrote:
Improver comes to the closest on desribing what going on.

What is improver?

I initially went to an ENT just to make sure it was nothing that they could figure out.

My throat problems almost completly left in the first year of lyme treatment. I think it was doxy that took care of it. I occassionaly have a recurrence but very minor and only for a short period of time.

I now have a salivary gland that is blocked - I'm pretty sure there is no connection to my past throat problems though.

Terry

Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this symptom too, and it has improved with treatement.

For me it always seemed to come on around the same time as the air hunger.

I saw my gastroenterologist, and he couldn't find anything--actually thought it was a weird symptom--and he put me on meds for reflux.

I'm not on the reflux meds anymore, and for now the lump inmy throat ffeeling seems to have subsided.

But my husband said it could be diffuse esophageal spasm--he had that for a time as well, and they had him on anti-anxiety meds for it.

He said the meds really did nothing, and his resolved itself.

I still wonder sometimes if he has Lyme.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this too. Sometimes it feels like my throat is closing up. Usually I will also notice that my glands are swollen. I think it is lyme related.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An enlarged thyroid can also cause this tightness feeling.

Can contribute to a hoarse voice as well.

You may need your adrenal function checked.

I had enlarged (kissing tonsils) all of my adult life.

From age 17 on. About 1.3 years into treatment, they magically went away.

Go figure.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement