LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heart Palpatations-Scaring Me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heart Palpatations-Scaring Me
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had lyme and whatever else for 3 years undiagnosd and 1 year of treatment

Currently I am on 6 days of IV 2 grams Rocephin
1 day clindy IV (300 mg)

and 750 mgs of Flagyl

Heart palps have never been a symptom til I started the flagyl about a month ago, is that normal, I never really figured my heart was involved since I never had heart palps before now my heart flutters up into my throat ever few minutes...it doesnt hurt just flutters.

The nurse said not to worry (LLMD), however ordered me the Holter Moniter.

Can anyone tell me what you think of the heart palps, or has anyone had the heart monitor?

Thank you Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, I don't, but I was on flagyl 5 days only.

May I suggest you go to I think it was HEATHERKISS on flagyl experiences; 125+ responses there; you might read of someone's heart paps there. Good luck!

Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have palpitations every day, though I am not on Flagyl, and have been having them for 18 of the 20 yrs. I've been sick.

I understand from my reading that some of the drugs can cause a heart herx, if you have bugs there. Not having symptoms before doesn't mean the bugs were not there, just maybe not enough of them to cause symptoms.

I have had to back down my dosage to keep my heart herxing from becoming dangerous. I think it will depened upon what type of rhythm problem you're having. Many of us have PVC's from Mitral Valve Prolapse, and those are harmless, but mean you need more Magnesium.

I had two Holter Monitor's with no luck, but the newer, much more sensitive Cardiac Event Monitor found the problem immediately,and now I am on medication which really helps. I don't really know why any docs are still using Holter's. I would ask yours, if you have not already had the monitor.

Magnesium is essential for proper heart function, and Lymies are all deficient. Some LLMD's feel taking Mg feeds the bugs.

If you have one of those docs, ask about IV Mg instead, to bypass feeding Borrelia in the GI tract. Mg is not optional...it's as necessary to your heart function as brakes are in a car.

Good luck with your testing. I hope it's not what I have (PSVT), but just some PVC's.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey fircop1066

For what its worth , I had PVC'S before treament. I did the 24 hour holter moniter & it didn't show zip.

After I started IV I had a die off in my heart...very scary. Went to ER durning an episode & it showed up on an EKG.

But since treatment X 3 years I have had no heart problems return.

I did go to a cardiolgists for an echo just to be on the safe side.

Other than the nurse-what does your LLMD think?

Make sure you talk over everything first with your LLMD

Hang in there
dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys
I mentioned it to my doctor last week when I was up to see him, he did not seem alarmed, however of course I totally down played them...why I dont know.

Well of course now that im home they are more and more frequent, called the nurse last week she said not to worry it was common for this symptom to com out of hiding with all of the abx i have been on for so long....and to call back if I was still concerned

Of course I called to talk to the doctor today and Its his day off, so she said whe would get in contact with my local health care provider and set it up for me...I dont have a doctor here so I I'll wait til the end of today and see if she calls back or if the doctor calls tomorrow..I also did call my local doctor who i keep on hand only in case of an emergency (old family friend non-judgemental)

so we will see how the next two dys play out...thanks everyone..Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, heart problems are pretty common with this disease. However, it seems odd that they didn't manifest before. Have you tried laying off of the flagyl for a few days to see if things improve ?

It's possible that the abx is attacking Bb around the heart causing the palps. Lyme and/or babs are notorious for this stuff.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Thanks Mike,
I sent you a long e-mail today..
Used to get the palps evry so often but not like this...im sure the stress isnt helping much....Doc is supposed to call back tomorrow hes aware, and its almost time for the babs treatment anyway guess were gonna have to go slow on that ....I always thought my heart was spared...guess the little buggers got to that too....1 step foward two steps back....uuuggghhh....Jill

JimMet
Member # 7787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimMet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two episodes of heart arhthmias while I was on 100mg doxy b.i.d. After upping the dosage to 200mg b.i.d., I never had another one.

A few years ago, pre-Lyme, I took Robitussin cough syrup and wound up in the emergency room. My heart skipped beats for about 6 weeks. The ER doc said Robitussin often causes this.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naomi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naomi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same thing. I have MVP and sometimes it makes my heart act up.

My doctor just ordered the holter monitor too.....

one thing that seems to help me is drinking a LOT of fluids ...I drink smart water because it has electorlites added. ALso making sure I eat something every few hours seems to help...I'm not sure why.

--------------------
www.xanga.com/naomijoy

Posts: 276 | From Boston, MA, UsA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Still waiting to hear from the doctor...yep the first thing the nurse said was stop drinking caffine...(so much easier said then done..) and of course I know I shouldnt smoke (dont lecture...I know)....the Electrolite thing is a good idea though....I think I will try that water also

The doctor ran the magnesium test last week ill find the results i think obviously I need some vitamins (a good multi-), Im not into taking too many vitamins....

and the flagyl has made me completely stop eating so although i dont mind that side effect as this disease has packed on the weight, I think ill start adding in some more fruits and veggies at least to start eating a little something...thank you all for your suggestions..

some of it is my lifestyle high stress job, marital issues, bad habits, and some is lyme, I should really try and control the ones I have control over...I too am to blame not just the lyme buggers....thank you all for your replies and ideas ...Jill

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes firecop1066

That some good advise the nurse gave.

I tryed to have one cup of coffee-cause I was stopped up...

And my heart was all over the place. Since 3 years of treatment, had cleared up my heart problems, and I was constipated & thought one cup couldn't hurt. I was wrong.

Caffine & nicotine are both stimulants and can contribute to heart palps.

How about trying a good brand decaf coffee? [Smile]

Make sure to talk over everything first with your LLMD

Take care

[ 14. March 2006, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Thanks Dana,
Yep...I know its time to go to decaf or better yet water, geezzz you would think after a year of treatment I would be more on the bandwagon.....

smoking god what a horrible nasty habit....but its way over due for that too!

and the job, well thank god I am a cop at this point the health care cant be beat...but the stress takes a toll...Ill work on things though...going to fill my water bottle!! dunping the rest of todays pot o'coffee..Jill

nat
Member # 8883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi- I have the heart palpitations too and they are scary! Feels like it is just going to seize up and stop...Tomorrow going for echocardiogram and holter monitor. My LD is not too concerned, but has ordered it to ease my mind.. I just feel like if and when I feel like exerting myself, I will "hold back" cause I am scared of the palpitations. I'm sure it is nothing I need to worry about, and they have lessened in the last few weeks, but it will make me feel better and have one less thing to worry about.
Good luck!
Natalie

Posts: 37 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement