LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme and breastfeeding....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme and breastfeeding....
Naomi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naomi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister sent me this article today : http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/lyme-disease.html
(article pasted at the bottom of this note).

Since I am pregnant now I have been getting considerable pressure from my family ...not just to breastfeed, but to check out breast milk donations also.

They don't mean to put pressure on us, they just really don't understand all that Lyme entails.

I had to explain to my mom (for the 4th or 5th time) today again that we are not comfortable with breastmilk donation.

Our reasoning is that if lyme is actually difficult to detect in breastmilk, how do I know that the screening process for donation won't miss lyme in a mother who is donating?

We want the BEST for this baby and we don't intend to take any chances. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Breastfeeding and Lyme Disease

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Per the US Centers for Disease Control, Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi, and is transmitted to humans via the bite of a tick infected with this bacteria. The Lyme disease bacteria has not been cultured from human milk (though associated DNA have been detected - see below), and no babies have developed Lyme disease from their mothers' milk.

Here is what we know:

In a paper from the US Centers for Disease Control website (Cooper & Feder, 2004), it is stated that: "B. burgdorferi has never been cultured from human breast milk, and there is no case of an infant developing symptomatic or asymptomatic B. burgdorferi infection from breast milk."

In one study (Ziska et al, 1996), seven breastfeeding mothers with Lyme disease were studied, and none of their babies contracted Lyme disease.

In another study (Schmidt et al, 1995), DNA associated with Lyme disease were detected in the breastmilk of two mothers, but neither of their babies contracted Lyme disease - per Lawrence & Lawrence (2005), it is not known whether the DNA were from infectious spirochetes or were non-infectious DNA fragments.

If a mother does become infected with Lyme disease, she will likely not know about it until symptoms appear (7-14 days or longer), and baby will have already been exposed to the illness at that point (IF it can be transmitted via breastmilk - we don't know whether this is possible).

Breastfeeding builds baby's immune system and will also provide baby with extra antibodies to Lyme disease. Discontinuing breastfeeding would deprive baby of the extra immune protection from breastfeeding.

The general consensus is that breastfeeding should continue if a mother has Lyme disease, especially if she has already started or completed treatment. There are several medications that can be used to treat Lyme disease in breastfeeding mothers.

Lawrence & Lawrence (in Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 2005) suggest that since we don't have concrete evidence on the possibility of transmission, this should be discussed with the mother and (depending on the mother's wishes) breastfeeding could be withheld until the mother's treatment has been started or completed.

They recommend observing baby for symptoms of Lyme disease whether or not the mother discontinues breastfeeding temporarily, and treating baby if symptoms appear.

Page last modified: 07/12/2005
Written: 7/10/05

Additional Information & References

Lawrence R, Lawrence R. Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Mosby, 2005: 678-680, 1004.

Cooper JD, Feder HM Jr. Inaccurate information about lyme disease on the internet. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004 Dec;23(12):1105-8.

"The generally accepted (included in position statements by the Academy of Pediatrics, the College of Rheumatology and the Infectious Disease Society of America) and evidence-based information for these topics is as follows.... During or After Treatment of Lyme Disease, Is It Safe to Breast-feed? It is safe to breast-feed while being treated for Lyme disease. B. burgdorferi has never been cultured from human breast milk, and there is no case of an infant developing symptomatic or asymptomatic B. burgdorferi infection from breast milk."

Hale TW. Medications and Mothers Milk. 11th Edition. Amarillo, Texas: Pharmasoft Publishing; 2004: 502-503.

Mohrbacher N, Stock J. The Breastfeeding Answer Book, Third Revised Edition. Schaumburg, Illinois: La Leche League International, 2003: 549.

Committee on Infectious Diseases: Report of the Committee, Red Book, 25th ed. Elk Grove Village, Illinois: American Academy of Pediatrics 2000, p. 375.

Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, US Centers for Disease Control. Recommendations for the Use of Lyme Disease Vaccine Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR. 1999 June 04; 48(RR07);1-17.

Routes of Transmission: Humans acquire B. burgdorferi infection from infected ticks at the time the tick takes a blood meal; Lyme disease is not spread by person-to-person contact or by direct contact with infected animals. Transplacental transmission of B. burgdorferi has been reported, but the effects of such transmission on the fetus remain unclear. The results of two epidemiologic studies document that congenital Lyme disease must be rare, if it occurs at all. Transmission in breast milk has not been described. B. burgdorferi can be cultured from the blood in some patients with early acute infection, and it is able to survive for several weeks in stored blood. However, at least one study has found that the risk for transfusion-acquired infection is minimal.

Ziska MH, Giovanello T, Johnson MJ, Baly J. Disseminated Lyme disease and pregnancy. 9th Annual International Scientific Conference on Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Disorders. Boston, MA, April 19-20, 1996.

Shapiro ED. Lyme disease in children. Am J Med. 1995 Apr 24;98(4A):69S-73S.

Schmidt BL, Aberer E, Stockenhuber C, Klade H, Breier F, Luger A. Detection of Borrelia burgdorferi DNA by polymerase chain reaction in the urine and breast milk of patients with Lyme borreliosis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1995 Mar;21(3):121-8.

Stiernstedt G. Lyme borreliosis during pregnancy. Scand J Infect Dis Suppl. 1990;71:99-100.

--------------------
www.xanga.com/naomijoy

Posts: 276 | From Boston, MA, UsA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of us would regard the CDC to be the last place to look to as an authority on Lyme disease.
Here is an article on The Children of Lyme Disease by Dr. Charled Ray Jones; the only pediatric authority on children and lyme.

The Children of Lyme Disease

Charles Ray Jones, MD
Pediatrician,

Current research indicates that the Lyme disease bacteria,

Borrelia burgdorferi, can be transmitted within

hours after an infected tick attachment. Failure of parents and teachers to recognize Lyme disease early in its

course can result in a child developing a chronic

difficult to treat infection in the brain, eyes, joints,

heart and elsewhere in the body.

In my experience treating

6,000+ children birth to 18 with Lyme disease,

50% have no tick attachment history, 10% or less

have an erythema migrans (bullseye rash) history,

but all have a history of living in or having visited

a Lyme endemic area and have a decline

in the way they play and perform in school.

They are tired, wilt easily, have dark circles under their

eyes and are sick. Lyme disease has a profound negative

impact on a child's life, cognitive function and ability to

perform maximally in school. Severe fatigue unrelieved by rest

results in decreased stamina and a decreased ability to play and

to do school work. Insomnia, headaches, nausea, abdominal pain,

impaired concentration, poor short-term memory, an inability to

sustain attention, confusion, uncharacteristic behavior outbursts

and mood swings, fevers/chills, joint pain, dizziness, noise and

light sensitivity, and difficulty thinking, expressing thoughts,

reading, writing, and making decisions as well as a feeling of

being overwhelmed by schoolwork plague a child with Lyme

disease. Pain and impaired cognitive function make it

difficult to sustain attention and to learn and

recall new material.

Although Lyme is usually transmitted by Ixodes scapularis

(deer) and Amblyomma americanum (lone star) ticks,

it can also be transmitted in utero and through breast milk.

These children, frequently floppy with poor muscle tone,

are irritable and ill early in their lives with frequent fevers,

increased incidence of ear and throat infections, pneumonia,

joint and body pain. They have gastroesophageal reflux,

small windpipes (tracheomalacia), cataracts and

other eye problems, developmental delay,

learning disabilities, and psychiatric problems.

All respond to months or years

of continuous antibiotic therapy.

When Lyme disease is a possible diagnosis,

the children should be evaluated by a Lyme knowledgeable physician

who will continue antibiotic therapy until all Lyme symptoms resolve.

In most circumstances, Ixodes scapularis tick attachment

should be treated with one month of antibiotic therapy.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have Lyme disease, then breastfeeding is a big n0-no. Spirochetes can be transmitted via breastmilk, and you can end up with a sick child. In my opinion, its not a risk a mother should take. Its hard enough to stay on the antibiotics every 6 hours while you are pregnant. Make sure you have your OB/GYN know what they are doing, and when the baby is born have the placenta, cord blood, and urine tested. Have that bottle of formulas ready too!
Don't let friends and family pressure you who do not know what they are talking about!
Give them materials to read, have them talk to the parent of a baby who was born with Lyme and see how "wonderful" their life is.

Tell them, Lyme patients can NEVER even donate blood, do you they want you to infect your baby, AND god knows how many other babies by donating your milk? Would you give your baby the milk of a sick mother? I dont think so!

Stay on your antibiotics, make sure you have a doctor who knows what they are doing, and educate your family as to how serious this is. Ignorance makes me so mad!
These innocent babies cannot make the decision, its up to you to be responsible and intelligent about it. Lyme diease means no breastfeeding!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naomi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naomi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...I've really researched breastfeeding and I know that we have chosen well in not breastfeed.

I guess the frustration comes because even when I send them articles and info on Lyme they either don't read it or don't pay attention.

I KNOW they mean well and they love me...it's just frustrating that I have to explain our position over and over.

I think it's reasonable to not feel comfortable with breastmilk donation also. If I went 10 or so years without even knowing I had Lyme, how many people still have no idea that they have it?

I'm not taking that chance....

--------------------
www.xanga.com/naomijoy

Posts: 276 | From Boston, MA, UsA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement